Birmingham, AL
George Ward Park Share
Uploaded By: twisted Hole #C (Taken 8/2011)
Hole #C Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tom Monroe Land

1    10/29/2017   12/29/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.638 Rating) A longer city park course with very good variety.
- EXTRA BASKETS - My favorite thing about George Ward is the two baskets on every hole, well 18 holes. This appears to have occurred sometime around 2013 from reading the reviews. Considering that there are no extra tees, the extra set of baskets really makes this course approachable to a wide swath of skill levels. The loop of holes (A) thru (F) only has the one basket however.
- UNIQUENESS - For an all par 3 course, the variety is about as good as it can get. There are huge distance variations from sub 200 to the short baskets, to over 600 feet to the long baskets. Shots will break into mildly defined pockets to the left and to the right. Some tee shots are heavily wooded while others are nearly completely open. There are a couple of really fun water clears along a creek. Finally, elevation usage has been well incorporated into the design with several shots going up and down. The down shots on (12) and (15) were my favorites being both down about 30 to 35 feet.
- CHARACTER - All the bells and whistles that a player would expect from a well established course with a big club following. In addition to two baskets on each hole, there is also a third alternate placement as well. At tee (1) there's a large community board with info, course map, lost sunglasses and someone's drivers license. There are benches on just about every hole and there's adequate hole signage. I didn't see a practice basket in my haste, but it looks like (9s) basket is the perfect one to commandeer with it being right next to the parking.
- TEES - The numbered holes have very nice adequately sized concrete tees.
- A THRU F - After (14), players can decide between a six hole loop labeled (A) thru (F) or to continue on to tee (15). I played the loop and found it to be much different than the rest of the layout. These holes are generally more short and more technical that the 18 numbered holes. I couldn't help but notice that two groups behind me transitioned right to (15) instead of playing the loop. So I wonder if it is used routinely or not.
- CHALLENGING - Playing to the back baskets appears to be upper intermediate to lower end advanced level difficulty, while the front baskets read as recreation level. I played the back baskets and I struggled to maintain par finishing 2 over as a 900 rated player. The letter holes are the easiest IMO and I had 2 birdies there. The numbered holes derive the challenge more from length off the tee so a player with a big drive will have a leg up on a technical player for that portion.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - One of the better looking city park courses. As mentioned above, there are elevation changes, wooded areas and water features. Hole (1) right out the gates has a play across some nice sized limestone boulders. Hole (13) is an awesome risk/reward play along an elegant 15 foot wide creek. The letter holes are a heavily wooded charming mix.
- NAVIGATION - I didn't have any issues other than trying the find the course. The course flows really well and a quick peek of the course map quickly cleared up the couple times I questioned my next move.
- TOM MONROE - To be honest, I have never met him and I did not know much about him until after I moved to Alabama. His name is associated with everything disc golf in Alabama and he is credited as the designer to ten courses I've played up here as of this review. It's kind of neat that a player of his stature is regularly associated with this course. Several reviewers have pointed out that he's often out at George Ward.
Cons: I typically find it easier to write about cons, but it was very difficult to find even minor flaws with George Ward.
- WALKING PATHS - Several holes bring a five foot wide concrete path into play. I waited on several tees for walkers and joggers to pass. However, waiting 30 seconds a few times over a round makes just about no impact on my ratings or my personal enjoyment of a course.
- GPS DIRECTIONS - My Waze app (GPS) did not take me to the course. The app seems to think that 19th Avenue connects to the parking area from the East.
- TEES A THRU F - The letter holes have sub-par tees. They are carpet mats if I recall correctly. Tee (C) has no mat at all.
- MAINTENANCE - Not too bad. There were lots of larger tree branches down along the layout. Perhaps I caught a bad a day. The letter holes look a lot less tended too compared to the numbered holes.
- TIME PLAY - Playing the full 24 holes in a four sum is going to take a while on this heavily used course. Figure around 3 holes. However, playing 18 with a skip of the letter holes should subtract 25 minutes. 9 can also be easily be done as well as tees (1) and (10) and baskets (9) and (18) are all by the parking.
Other Thoughts: George Ward is no doubt one of the better courses in the State of Alabama. I've played nine of the top twelve Alabama courses listed on DGCR and have it ranked 4th among the nine I've played. The perfect course to bring a group with a mix of skill levels due to the two baskets per hole. In all, it's a really great course. Not as exotic as a course like Inverness, but George Ward should have just about everyone wearing a smile on their face.

5+    7/29/2017   7/29/2017
Review By: UnopposableThumb
Pros: Really fun course. Mainly uses elevation and distance to challenge you, not very wooded. It has a few technical aspects but is not the most technical course. This course mainly tests your power, and then has you throw downhill a few times and uphill a couple times. Flows beautifully, hole 1 starts at the parking lot and hole 9 ends at the parking lots. Hole 11 starts on the other side of the parking lots and 18 ends right there as well.
Cons: Not really a con, but I don't have the biggest arm. I really enjoy short technical holes, and this course had none. Hard for me to reach many of the baskets, but that is my fault, not the course's fault. And, my GPS had trouble finding the course the first time and led me quite astray. I searched a good long while to actually find it.
Other Thoughts: The only restroom that was unlocked, was very far away at the baseball field. Many times I play the front 9 (it wraps back around to the car) drive to the nearby gas station for a drink and a restroom, and drive back for the back 9. Works for me

Old George

1    3/22/2017   3/29/2017
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Course has 2 baskets per hole which allows you the opportunity to play either from the tee. Course is well maintained and the flow of the course is logical. Holes 1-9 are on the north side of the park and holes 10-18 are on the south side of the park.
Very nice elevation in a city park. The signage was acceptable here as well. Both uphill and downhill shots are accounted for here. Tee pads are plenty ample allowing for a proper run up.
There are a few holes were mandos are in play to add to the challenge a bit.
A few of the holes are aceable and its always fun to run the chains. There is a little stream that comes into play on a couple of holes to keep you on your toes.
Good mix of short, moderate, and longer holes here so you can work on all aspects of your game.
There are holes here that play to the left and holes that play to the right.
Cons: Footing could be an issue due to the rocky terrian. I didn't encounter any problems but I could see the hills being slick as a good rain, please be careful.
Long walk from 13's basket to 14's tee which slows the round down a bit.
This is a multi-use park so there might be walkers on the walking paths, which come into play on a few holes. Please be aware before you throw.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid city park style course that offers a nice change in elevation and will make you work on a variety of shots. This is a good place for a beginner to learn the game and there are holes here to keep a veterans interest as well. Worth a play if you are in the area.

Rock n roll

1    12/26/2016   12/26/2016
Review By: TheRealRedRoach
Pros: My favorite course so far. Only played 18 and will definitely be back to play again and throw all 24. There are at least two pin options on every hole I played. Busy course even the day after Christmas. I would say it was very well-maintained. A lot of thought was put into making the pin placement challenging. Enough trees to be a factor and make you shave some of your shots but not enough to make it really frustrating. I would recommend this course to beginners and veterans.
Cons: They were only two pins on some of the holes maybe due to vandalism? Some of the distances look like they might be a little off.
Other Thoughts: Added to favorites.

Really nice, Club kept course.

2-4    8/26/2016   8/27/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: -Nicely kept by the club
-A nice guy selling discs there at hole 1.
-Easy to follow
-Quality baskets.
-approachable for beginners, can be challenging for other skill levels.
-Short pins are really easy if you just need a quick round.
Cons: -Needs next tee signs for the back 15 (including the inner holes).
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed the course. I don't think it's challenging enough to earn a 4 or 5, but I definitely enjoyed it and so will you!

My Home Course

5+    7/12/2016   8/4/2016
Review By: wilcushman
Pros: -easy to follow layout
-many options for play
-benches at every tee
-multiple hole locations
-Tom Moore is the course pro
-perfect level of traffic
-good course for beginners and experts alike
-optional extra holes
Cons: -pretty short holes(but there are ways to play them longer)
-inconsistent groundskeeping
-extra holes are occupied by several homeless camps
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever played on. I have been playing for a few months now, and having played several other courses around the south I still love coming back to this one when I am home.

A must play course

2-4    5/18/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: AceHarris10
Pros: Great mixture of difficulty and diversity.
Cons: Course is located in a city park with a walking trail winding through the course, so there are lot of people in the way at times. One time we watched a couple make out for like 5 minutes directly in the way of our tee shot. They were just far away that our yelling didn't get their attention. No big deal, but definitely a con.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a course to play if you are in the Birmingham area. Most will enjoy.

There is something really enjoyable here

5+    6/26/2015   7/22/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros:
-Concrete tee pads on all holes except the extra holes A-F
-3 possible pin locations for every hole
-Course flow is great! Love that you can easily start on 1 or 10 right from the parking lot, and both end at the parking lot as well.
-Pretty easy to navigate even the first time around without a map.
Cons:
-No indicators of what pin location was being used with quite a few blind tee shots.
-Quite a few non disc golfers using the park, might have to wait on them to clear every once in a while.
-The drive to the course was through a rough area, never had any concerns while playing course though.
-Disappointed with the extra 6 holes A-F. They just seemed not up to par compared to rest of the course.
This is a very well thought out course and it was easy to enjoy the couple of rounds I was able to play here. In general the course is lightly wooded and pretty open except for a few areas. The elevation and terrain play very well here. The course flows really well and its relatively easy to navigate. It's not a very difficult course but it still offers challenges for all players. I felt like the extra holes (A-F) didn't really fit in with the rest of the course. They were definitely not at the same caliber/quality as the main 18. I did like that holes A-F were more wooded but that's about all that they added to the course. This course has quite a few really cool well thought out holes. This is a course I could enjoy playing multiple times.

Classic City Park Course

5+    5/7/2015   5/7/2015
Review By: AlphaGenerator
Pros: Varied pin locations, good tee pads, Disc Golf Legend Tom Monroe (white van), lots of dg traffic, front and back 9 end at the parking lot, plenty of trash cans, and fun to play.
Cons: Lots of dg traffic, nothing extremely technical, no restroom onsite.
Other Thoughts: A definite must play if you are traveling through the area. Birmingham's oldest course.

Great course

1    7/14/2014   7/20/2014
Review By: Lwassner
Pros: Great layout, multiple pins at every hole, well groomed, nice park.
Cons: No really technical holes
Other Thoughts: It's definitely a course worth playing. With having two baskets at every hole, two rounds is like 36 different holes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6