Fate, TX
The Cedars Share
Uploaded By: xhypocr4cyx Hole #12 (Taken 11/2013)

Share URL:

Not just a warm-up for the course in Rockwall...

1    6/23/2017   7/20/2017
Review By: armiller
Pros:
-lots of good holes here, not repetitive; no boring golf here, in my opinion
-lots of technical shots, some of which require good distance
-tee signs/maps, concrete tees, good baskets
-decent park/course interaction, with low likelihood of hitting other park users and with much of the course straying far from the park center
Cons:
-navigation on the course was tricky between a couple holes; we never found 17's tee (probably because it was a longer hole than we would have believed) and wasted a few minutes finding some others - the map on here does help though
-the creek is small but will surprise you by grabbing a couple discs; the rough can be quite rough (I felt lucky not to lose any discs)
Other Thoughts: After a couple days at Trey Ranch and Selah, The Cedars was on our way back into Dallas and an easy stop before playing Harry Myers. I didn't expect much of a disc golf experience, just a bit of a warmup before HM. In retrospect, the ~53 SSE should have tipped me off. It ended up being a very enjoyable but challenging round of golf.

I liked the design overall. The first couple holes used the cedars well with relatively short holes but good lines. Later, the trees and terrain changed a bit, and the course uses a creek as well. There were some nice technical and shorter wooded shots (6 was especially memorable, in the middle of a nice stretch of tight holes) as well as some longer shots that also used the woods (e.g. 4, 10, 12). It was a good test of my all-around game, and I would play regularly if I lived in the area. The strength of the course is in the hole variety and the challenge.

Rating: I'm going with 3.5, though I considered 4.0 simply to help boost the average a bit. As others have mentioned, this course is underrated and a good play. It's better than what I thought of when I heard "small city park course." Very nice course, even if it can't help being overshadowed by Harry Myers. Thanks Fate!

Good Course

5+    11/1/2015   11/28/2015
Review By: mark996
Pros: This course has been getting more attention, and Straight Line Discs brings in a tournament a few times a year, the course gets some play time as well as a trimming usually before each tournament. Once you play through once, you understand and know where the tees and baskets are. This is an awesome course to me because it's not open, and you pay for your mistakes (my guess why its rated lower now, since most people don't like courses they can't throw straight at a basket in the middle of a field with no OB and no trees or creeks). They just installed nice new bathrooms right by basket #1 as well, so they are working out there.
Cons: Can get overgrown in the spring before it's cleaned up. Fate is a small town, so the park usually reflects that unfortunately.

I'll mention that the course doesn't dry well, but that's not much of a Con, that's more like...wait for it...nature.
Other Thoughts: This course needs more love for locals. It has potential. If more TD's would put on more gigs out here it'd get that love. I enjoy playing a few rounds out there, especially when Myers is crowded.

Snakes: Yes...why there are snakes in a natural habitat here. Not a reason to rate a course lower because of nature...ever played Lewisville? Kingdom of Cottonmouths.

cedars - unique course

5+    2/16/2014   3/2/2014
Review By: jtmoney
Pros: variety of holes.
lots of trees - challenging terrain-
the rough is "rough"
less traffic than Meyer
exciting and fun course
Cons: Has anyone in the history of playing this course gotten a birdie on hole 3? In my opinion it should be a par 4 along with a few other holes.
It can be confusing the first few times that you play where the next basket is at. numbers on the baskets would be nice.