Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: ldtrainman Hole #1 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 303ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Disc Golf Heaven

1    9/29/2017   10/4/2017
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I want to start this review off by saying I am a recreational player so what I am looking for from a round of disc golf may be different than a more competitive player. That being said, Bucksnort is a DG experience that no one should miss out on.
Tees- The teepads are mostly natural although they are beginning the slow process of converting them over to landscaping stones. The stone pads that are in are fabulous and that will be a really nice tough when they are all done. The natural pads were all dry in spite of the fact it rained a lot there leading up to our trip and while we were there. No difficulty for our group throwing off the tees.
Creativity- I've never seen a more ingenious use of landscape for a course. There were a ton of incredible hole concepts. Its really impressive the thought that went into each and every tee and pin location. It seemed like every other hole made me smile at the thought of playing it.
Distance- This is truly a par 3 course, but unlike others, I don't view that as a negative. As it was, the course totally kicked my butt physically because of the strenuous nature of many of the climbs. One of the things I love the most about disc golf is the fact that you can put a dg course literally on any piece of ground, but with that comes limitations because of the topography, and I just don't see how you could turn this course into a longer one than it is while still maintaining the fun factor....especially with it being 28 holes.
Challenge- The real challenge at bucksnort is in the risk/reward of each hole. I've never played a course with more "pucker factor" type shots whether its drives or putts. I play a pretty conservative game but they beauty of bucksnort is that it doesn't give you that option on many holes. You have to go for it and then let the chips fall where they lay.
Scenery- The best you will ever see. I honestly don't know how you could find a course with more beautiful views. It was breathtaking (quite literally after some of the walks). Pictures do not do this course justice.
Amenities- There is an awesome pavilion area with grill where you can break after hole 13/14 to split the course in half. The bathroom is there as well. The signage on this course is exceptional and took away all guess work to where you were throwing. There is also at least one bench at almost every hole. We definitely used these a lot. It can't be overstated how rigorous the walking is with the extreme terrain and high elevation. I'm a 36 year old in mediocre shape but there were other guys with me that were in great shape and still needed long breaks in spots.
Cost- 20 bucks per person with an 80 dollar minimum. I had a group of 7 so that was no issue for us. The 20 bucks was well worth it to play one of the best courses around. Plus---we got the whole course to ourselves, which was a unique experience too.
Cons: There aren't many for me. It would be nice to have a port-a-potty in one or two other places but this is disc golf to the extreme and I don't think putting one out in the middle of a mountain is realistic. How would they access the thing to have it emptied? It would be cool if there were more tee-pad locations as well, but that isn't what Bucksnort is about. Sure--concrete tees would be great, but we never had trouble with the natural tees. The new stone tees will be phenomenal when they are finished.
Other Thoughts: My friends and I travel across the country each year to different disc golf destinations trying to play some of the better courses as rated on this site. We have hit a number of the top 10 courses and for my money, this is in my top 3 favorites all-time. As someone from Missouri we get plenty of rolling hills in our courses but nothing like what we experienced at Bucksnort. It was such a unique and awesome experience to play golf at the "top of the world". Paulie and Lowell were exceptional hosts and the love and passion they have poured into this is evident from the first shot to the last. Get to Colorado as soon as you can to play this once-in-a-lifetime type course. I've never smiled on a course so much in my life and for me, that is what I want out of DG---fun.

Play This Course

1    8/26/2017   8/29/2017
Review By: fooswillb21
Pros: Every hole is unique and challenging in its own way while keeping a great course feel. Nothing gimmicky about it!

The course is a bit physically challenging and there are many places to relax, take a break, and enjoy the views.

The owners and hosts are awesome. I'll be playing this course again!
Cons: I honestly can't think of anything!
Other Thoughts: Make sure to make a tee time so you aren't turned away. Currently only 2 per day so plan ahead!

EPIC!

1    8/26/2017   8/29/2017
Review By: Satchizmo
Pros: Best course I have ever played. The course is easy to maneuver from hole to hole, and the basket placement works well and very creative with the natural environment. The views are crazy and offer different perspectives from different holes. The cave basket is really really fun, but challenging.
Cons: Need a working grill for lunch time at the main lot area.
Other Thoughts: I would HIGHLY recommend this course to anyone who wants the ultimate in extreme mountain disc golf. This place is no joke.

My favorite course!

5+    4/20/2017   4/22/2017
Review By: ADJdisc
Pros: Beautiful views!! Lots of space. Wonderful hosts. Creative course.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I am not a good player but am always happy walking around this land and playing here. Linda and Lowell are the best!

VERY Unique/Oringinal course but not top 10

1    7/1/2016   10/17/2016
Review By: surlyhodags
Pros: By far the most unique course I've ever played-Ever. Crazy lines, beautiful views, non tradition putting lines and some death putt pin placements.

Incredible views and most excellent hosts-they even let us take cover in their shed while it down poured.

The owners were actually nice enough to reduce the price for us since we had 1 person bail on us.

Paulie Rothley & Lowell Dietz were most excellent hosts.
Cons: Having played many of the courses in the top 20 ie Selah Ranch (lakeside and creekside) Blue Ribbon Pines, Vision Quest, High Bridge gold-blueberry-granite. Rollin Ridge. Beaver Ranch. I just don't think it belongs in the top 10.
Similar to other people who have been critical to the course my biggest complaints would be:
-Cement tee pads. To be considered in the top 10 I believe you have to have cement tees.
-Distance of holes. To be a great course in my eyes you need a good mix of technical as well as at least 1 hole where you can totally open up. In addition on 28 holes you need at least 4-6 holes of 400+ feet with a line you need to hit mixed with open lines. Variety is key for me.
-Very technical, for those that love technical lines this is the course for you!
-Exclusivity-see explanation in other thoughts.
Other Thoughts: I also agree with some of the other reviews that I think making the course non-exclusive to one group per day would be really nice.
Being from out of town it was a great deal of work trying to coordinate a group of 4 people i didn't know to try and play the course.
I actually really enjoy the social atmosphere that surrounds the disc golf community and had we run into others I would have been fine joining up with them but also like the solitude that can come with playing disc golf alone or with one other person as well. Playing in nature and going for a solo hike can also be really fun, especially with views as great as Bucksnort!
Cost was not a factor for me. To be able to be on someone else property for the day I think it is totally reasonable to compensate them appropriately.

Unbelievable Experience

1    9/7/2016   10/5/2016
Review By: TSmith
Pros: Amazing hole after amazing hole, must be what Leo feels like. Amazing atmosphere to have a great time! Well defined lines on all holes, and multiple lines on most holes. Signage is ideal, and the tip sheet that Paulie provides really makes a difference. Unbelievable scenery, you will want to take a few minutes for photos or just to take in the views. There are a variety of technical shots and shots were you can let loose with a bomb. All 28 holes are memorable, it is truly a great experience. You could lay up on a lot of holes, but with a distance driver you can reach the holes with a well placed shot. I went there trying to pin seek on every shot so I was able to use most of my bag, besides the ones that couldn't handle the elevation. I would have to say my favorite hole besides the most recognized online might have been hole 28, where you just let loose as far as you throw into a mountain. There is a small sign you can see through the trees giving you some direction. Maybe it was the time of the day or just happy at the end of the long day, it was an amazing site seeing the disc fly into the mountains before it turns into the trees.
Cons: Being from out of state I just may not be used to the conditions, there is a lot of loose gravel that can effect walking and or shots. Once I slipped once I cleared a good spot and didn't have an issue again.
Other Thoughts: Check out people from your area thoughts and recommendations for discs. They fly different being so high up and throwing up and down hill on nearly every shot. Being from he east coast I would recommend your discs with the most flip to them, they will straighten out.
I throw my distance drivers around 400ft on flat ground for reference.

Destination/Vacation course, Terrain too steep for a 5.0

2-4    6/28/2016   6/28/2016
Review By: Dryhorse
Pros: -Among the most scenic courses in all of disc golf, prepare to have your mind blown if you are not from the mountains
-Variety of shots required, the complete player is rewarded. There were backhands, forehands, overhands (great for sticking the landing on the down-slopes) and rollers thrown in my latest round.
-Variety of elevation changes, sometimes drastic elevation changes that are rarely encountered in disc golf, rough examples: 200 foot hole, 65 feet downhill, plays like 75 feet - OR - 240 foot hole, 80 feet uphill, plays like 390 feet.
-Unique terrain, the course is the rock face and pine forest of the top/side of a mountain.
-Unique hole designs, they put some thought into these, and you will too.
-Remote location in the Rockies where all you hear is the wind in the trees
-You get the course to yourself for the entire day
-Destination style disc golf, very fun with a group of friends
-Other high caliber courses nearby in Phantom Falls, Bailey, and Beaver Ranch.
-The course designer gives an intro and overview to the course before your round. Provides a "course notes" sheet with information on hole length, elevation changes, a "plays like" distance, and ideal landing zones.
-Easy and effective course navigation system based on colored arrows attached to trees.
-Course owners often present. Fun to chat with.
-One of the ultimate courses in par 3 finesse game, most of the 28 holes are short and birdie-able but also bogey-able.
-Premium placed on gap shooting, landing zones, and controlling the speed and angle of landing.
-Truly challenging and cleverly designed par-3's. There are some 100-150 foot holes that you will play for a 3.
-Water buckets at various locations throughout course, and a couple small shelters for breaks / snacking.
Cons: -Eroding granite plus fallen pine straw on steeply sloped ground combines to create the worst footing of any course I've experienced. A large percentage of upshots, even well placed upshots, are from places where you will be sliding down basically a rockfall of loose granite gravel and pine straw.

-Part of the magic of this course is the terrain that its built on, and unfortunately there is no real solution to the footing problem. There will always be eroding granite and pine straw flowing downhill at this course. It is a characteristic of the same terrain that makes the course great.

-While irregular footing can be a positive for a course, an extra level of challenge - at Bucksnort it often crosses the line from an interesting challenge into the zone of moderate danger and disruption of play.

-$20/round per person, and only one group per day (this is not a knock against the management of the course, it makes really good sense to limit how many people are on this course at once). Part of the great fun of playing a par-3 style of golf is getting to go back to a course many times and "solve" all the holes, figure out their ideal landing zones, and how to birdie them. For most of us we are lucky to play Bucksnort once a year and never get to dial in our shots on these finesse holes.
-Lack of power shots, out of 28 holes only a few require a fairway driver, and basically none require a long distance driver.
-Physically taxing course, you are almost never standing on flat ground. And almost always standing on a significant grade. Combine this with all the elevation changes and loose footing, and hiking this course is more like mountaineering than typical disc golf. One round here feels like about 3 rounds at most other courses.
-Fairways cross each other in a couple spots, not much of an issues since the course is usually one group at a time.
-Rollaways are a significant factor here. Hundred foot roll-aways from missed putts are not uncommon. This isn't entirely a con, but on some holes there literally is no landing zone for the green and luck is too much of a factor.
Other Thoughts: Bucksnort is a 4.5 or 5.0 as a destination type course that you'd play once a year or once a lifetime. If I'm asking myself what are the best courses in the world to play once, Bucksnort is unquestionably one of them. Bring a group, have one of the funnest days of disc golf ever. You will sleep like a baby with a smile on your face afterward and have a memory for a lifetime.

But if I'm rating it to truly compare it against all other courses, mostly comparing to top courses in the MidWest and championship caliber courses from the PDGA tour, and how it would rank among the top courses in the world to play 10 or 20 or 100 times, it's closer to a 4.0 or 4.5.

It's tough to get a 5.0 rating from me without having at least 1 hole that tests the player's ability with a long range drive, and the Bucksnort property lacks enough level ground to really make a hole like that.

Overall I gave it a 4.5, but I really wish I could have given it about a 4.2. That's what I'd give it comparing it to other top level non-mountain courses. Just realize that when you're going to Bucksnort, it is what it is: destination style disc golf. It's not champion style disc golf, in that arena it's more like a 4.0.

1    6/23/2015   11/16/2015
Review By: smyith
Pros: - beautiful views
- lots of places to rest
- risky greens
- fun road to the course
Cons: - $80 minimum for a round
- inconsistent teepads
- lack of line variety
Other Thoughts: The course is beautiful and has fantastic views, but the course lacks in challenge. It's kind of the standard CO design style, straight fairway and "risky" green. For the majority of the holes your drive only needs to be accurate in where it lands, not its line. There are a fair amount of "death" putts if you end up on the wrong side of the green tho.
I don't feel like the cost to play here is worth it. I'd much rather see this course be $5 and not be closed to one group at a time. To me Beaver Ranch is a far better course, and much more worth the value of your dollar.
Having played similar rated courses like Rollin Ridge, Flip City, and BRP I truly don't feel like Bucksnort belongs in the same conversation. All 3 of those courses wish they had the land to work with that Bucksnort does.

NOTE: I know there isn't many pros or cons but thats because my overall reaction to the course was a "Meh."

By Far the Best Course I Have Played

1    10/19/2015   10/21/2015
Review By: schwamic
Pros: This course is amazing in every way. The Bucksnort Plateau is so scenic that I found myself taking a picture on almost every hole. Also, since only one group plays the course per day, you have the course entirely to yourself. This makes it easy to relax and enjoy the amazing views. The course is extremely well designed and all holes are par 3's. However, make no mistake: the course is still challenging and is quite the hike. I would not change the course in any way! Everything is very well-labeled.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: If your get the opportunity to play Bucksnort, take it! You won't be disappointed.

countless wow moments

1    9/15/2015   9/16/2015
Review By: blazerico
Pros: I got to hole eight and realized I had been smiling the whole time I was playing. Every hole brings a new and interesting challenge, everything from tight wooded shots to extreme elevation change, to the pin being almost completely surrounded (320 degrees) by huge rocks. then there's the double reverse mando on 23 and 18 which is 204ft but plays like 67ft due to elevation drop. I kept saying wow, laughing, then oh sh!t how am I going to attack this. I paid to play alone, so I had the side of a mountain to myself for the day and it was peaceful.
Cons: for one person, the p2p is a bit costly, but it is totally worth it and I would do it again without question. I've heard ball golf fees can be triple digits, so I guess this is a bargain.
Other Thoughts: If any place deserves a spot in the top ten, it is bucksnort. I will have to reevaluate what it means to be 5/5 after playing here. Make no mistake, bucksnort is extreme adventure golf and walking around the property can be challenging, if not hazardous. If you always need good footing to throw, then you probably won't have fun here. Also, if you have bad knees, bad ankles, weak heart, etc then you may want to go elsewhere. be prepared for a long day when you go, it took me 3.5 hours, most of the time spent catching my breath.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6