Pine, CO
Bucksnort DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #10 (Taken 8/2018)
3 / 194ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Epitome of Great Mountain Golf

1    8/13/2018   10/3/2018
Review By: brentjacobs
Pros: -27 quality baskets all set nice and level. A few holes have multiple pin locations.
-27 mostly leveled tee boxes. A few have been completed with pavers and were very nicely done. The rest are natural dirt that get plenty of attention and were very playable, if not perfect.
-Many of the holes have new tee signs with all pertinent Hole info.
-Great mix of varying styles of holes. Tunnels, left and right turns, touch and power shots, the course keeps you on your game. Perhaps a bit on the shorter side but elevation does a nice job making up for that.
-Speaking of elevation, Bucksnort has it all and uses it well. Very few holes without noticeable change from tee to pin. Really adds challenge, variety and entertainment to the course.
-Risk-reward all over the place. Precarious pins, steep sidehills, tight gaps, etc will allow you make the choice to play aggressively or try avoid disaster by being conservative.
-Exclusiveness. One group of golfers per day get the pleasure of having the course entirely to themselves. Such an awesome treat. At $20/player, I feel this is a great value.
-Pavilions are provided at three different points on course. Plenty of seating and shade for a nice break on a physically demanding course. These are also the designated smoking areas which is a nice bonus to have that be allowed on such a great piece of property.
-Navigation is easy. Yellow arrows directing players to the next tee make it possible for all but the most incompetent humans to find their way through the course. Players are also provided with a caddy book containing all necessary Hole info for any of the holes that don't have the nice updated signs yet. Any blind holes have an arrow pointing to the basket location which can be cross-referenced with the hole map on the sign.
-The views are killer. Amazing scenery from numerous locations on the course.
-The rock formations. These are one of my favorite aspects of the course. You play under giant rock walls, over and on top of large to enormous boulders with a few pins tucked into and up against really cool formations. Hole 5, The Throne, was a personal favorite. Bigly elevation, ridiculous level of risk reward, and one of my favorite shaped rocks on the course.
-Paulie. Just a great guy and wonderful host. Amazing how much disc golf love he's brought to this course and numerous others throughout the corridor.
Cons: -Most of the tees are natural. They are maintained fairly well but certainly a far cry from those finished with pavers.
-A number of the holes are bit packed in. The first few holes really play on top of each other and then the course loops right back through that same area at the end. Seems like this could have been avoided or even had a hole or 2 removed, altered, or combined for a better flow. With only one group on the property each day it won't create much of an issue.
-27 Holes without much for multi throw holes. At some point when a course goes beyond 18 holes I'd like to see more variation to add value to the extra holes with par 4/5 style holes.
-$20 per person per day. I felt it was a fair fee but I'm sure there are some that would disagree. Disc golfers are cheap.
-The older tee signs are just hole numbers and a distance. The caddy book Paulie provides has all the info but it will be much nice once the signs are all installed to have that info out front and available without having to refer back to the caddy book.
-Physically demanding. This isn't a con for me personally as I live at altitude and play mostly mountain style courses. However, if you're a park style course player or in poor physical shape, this may not be the course for you.
Other Thoughts: Bucksnort is an absolutely amazing disc golf experience. Exclusive, private, secluded, gorgeous, entertaining, challenging, and everything good in between. This is hands down, no question whatsoever, my favorite CO course I've played and lands easily in my personal top 10 anywhere. The rock formations and mountain views are outstanding and you get to enjoy them as you navigate a unique and challenging disc golf course unlike any other I've played. Paulie's hospitality is amazing and our group couldn't have been happier. I plan on playing Buck again every summer so long as I have family in Denver to visit. I will look forward to updating my review as work on the course continues and will relish the day I bump this up to a 5/5. If you don't mind the physical exertion, this is a must play regardless of what type of course you usually prefer. One of a kind disc golf adventure that is more than worth the trip and greens fees.

Sheer Perfection

1    9/10/2018   10/3/2018
Review By: ThrowBot
Pros:
+ Simply put: Amazing experience. Super fun, super challenging, a total blast to play. I always thought the 5 disc review was an impossible ideal that could never be achieved. This course proved me wrong.

+ You have exclusive access to a fascinating property: great views, cool features, immaculate seclusion...the honor of playing this course is unforgettable. Then you find a tee area and see a basket. I hope you know what to do from there.

+ Technical skills are paramount. You need the mental game to conceive of a shot, then the wherewithal to execute that shot. Over and over (and under) and over. True golf experience where every move requires thought.

+ It's worth spending a full day. That's more than I can say of most disc golf courses. 14 holes, lunch, and then 13 more holes. Don't sell yourself sort by running off to bag another [lesser] pelt. Yes, there are several other gooders in the area. Save time for those later. Bucksnort is KING.

+ Pure random/weirdness factor is unforgettable. There's a THREE ACRE BOULDER that you play onto, then back off of. "The Moon". I'll gladly take that experience to the grave.

+ Oh yeah, and keep your RusticCharmometer dialed in for this course. There's a hole where some OB is roped to keep you away from a den of mountain lions. Can't say I've experienced that elsewhere. Oh yeah, that's throwing from The Moon...duh!

+ There is other wildlife around the course as well. The title "Bucksnort" is not a misnomer, based on my group's experience.
Cons:
- The tees are currently a mix of pavers and natural, which some may find DISConcerting. I live and play in Montana so this was no trouble for me.

- The course is not really set up for serious competition, nor was it intended to be. It's more of a thought experiment turned real for how much fun you can have in a day.

- The rollaway potentials can be YUGE. You need a good sense of humor to deal with the elevation that's in play on this course. In some cases you're throwing blind onto oddly sloped surfaces. Just be humble and enjoy it.

- Ok, $20 greens fee per player. If that scares you away, then keep that Jackson/Tubman in your wallet in order to weigh down your fragile ego. When you look at the upside of amenities, this course is more than worth it. There are plenty of pitch & putts that you can go play for free instead. Bummer that you missed out on some truly world-class phrolf.

- Also a small jaunt to get there (for us unlucky mortals). Trust me: worth it.

- I suppose, getting picky, there aren't that many huge bomb throws. On most of this terrain, you would honestly lose any distance driver that you really huk'd. Don't worry: final tee you get to unload on one. {Then hike for it when it rolls out.}

- Certainly not ADA-compliant. Hiking boots mandatory. Sitting at well over a mile of altitude, you will get out of breath quickly. It's worth the effort.
Other Thoughts: Don't think too hard. Just book a tee time and find out.

+ If you get a chance to see the designer/operator throw: watch. He's done it all before: every well-executed shot, but also every sketchy roll out. He knows.

+ If you get a chance to hear the designer/operator speak: listen. The advice is immensely knowledgeable. A compliment from that man is not necessarily earned easily...but it is meaningful. If he tells you to lay up--trust me now--you are lucky to lay that shot up.

Unique Disc Golf Experience

1    9/10/2018   10/3/2018
Review By: Darkgreen
Pros: Bucksnort is a one of a kind experience. Well worth the $20 and the planning of making a tee time and traveling to CO if you are not a local. Paulie is amazing and is a fantastic host. The views are jaw dropping beautiful.
If you are playing Bucksnort, it most likely means you are playing with your buddies and I must say this is the perfect place to have a fun disc golf experience with your friends. The shots are fun, very fun. Lots of technical shots, unique shots on and around boulders and in crevasses. Elevation changes used creatively.
The surface of the moon shot is one of the neatest holes I've ever played, which is playing down onto a boulder 3 acres in size. You need to see it in person to understand.
I took lots of pictures of both the disc golf holes and the scenery but no picture adequately conveys the beauty and uniqueness of Bucksnort.
Cons: I don't have to always play seriously, but for me disc golf is about competition, whether that be against others or just someone pitting themselves against the course. There is just way too much roll away potential at Bucksnort for me to say this course is good golf for competition.
Also, the course is gimmicky at times. Fun gimmicky, but still short and gimmicky, and again not great golf. I would love to see a longer 18 hole layout built for competition and if there is room a separate fun 9 hole course with all the crazy boulder and crevasse shots.
Other Thoughts: Go play Bucksnort. My advice is to go there with your buddies and leave the score cards behind. It will be hard not to have a great time. Be respectful of the property and obey the rules.

Good but not Amazing

1    6/7/2018   6/7/2018
Review By: Horsman
Pros: - Set on one of the most scenic pieces of land I have ever walked on.
- Great mix of short to medium holes with a couple longer holes.
- The course is heavily wooded and hilly but their is a fair line on each hole.
- Great baskets. This was my first time playing on these baskets and I thought they caught just fine.
- You get the course to yourself for a full day. Where else would you be able to do this. Its amazing to know that you are the only group on the course in a wild place. Its something I've never felt before.
- There were coolers out on the course with water. Multiple holes had water coolers on them.
- Potty on hole 1.
- great course map with a cheat sheet for shots.
Cons: - Teepads. I cant realistically rate this course too high because of the lack of teepads. There were a few holes that had pavers for teepads but even those were slick. The pavers were better then the natural pads though.
- There were a few times where we werent sure what basket to throw to. There are times when there are multiple baskets in site and we got confused on a few.
Other Thoughts: I loved this course. It was a lot of fun. But for me, I couldn't rate it too high because I have been to a few courses that offer a lot more amenities for a cheaper price, with better golf. Nothing will ever beat the views on this course. 5.0 course based on the views. But the course itself felt more like mini golf rather than disc golf. The course isnt bad, its just a completely different feeling style of golf. A lot of fun, but not a championship style course. Destination course for sure to me.

I loved my time here and will be back to play again soon.

The Beautiful Sky on the 19th Day of July

1    7/19/2017   1/17/2018
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: Where to begin...
Seclusion, Hospitality, Scenery, Challenge. This course has it all. It is Disc Golf heaven and makes you want to find our own 80 acres of paradise to start your own course. That wont happen though so just be thankful there is a place like Bucksnort to visit.
Cons: There are no cons to this course. Maybe the footing isn't perfect. Possibly it will take all day to play. But who cares about those things when you are blessed to be able to walk on this beautiful green earth and throw injected plastic through the air into metal alloys is a joy that all DG'ers should experience in this lifetime
Other Thoughts: Just GO. Make the Reservation. Plan a trip around Bucksnort. We make our reservation in April for Mid-July and planned the rest of the trip around that. Its that simple. You never regret the things you do, only the things you don't do.

Bring food

Views on Roids

1    9/20/2017   1/12/2018
Review By: Dagger
This review was updated on 1/20/2018
Pros: This course has it all!! The best views. The most creative use of land. The best baskets. The most friendly hosts. The best, and most fun DG I have ever played.
Cons: The natural tee pads could be viewed as a con, but they are very well maintained and caused us no problem. The cost could be viewed as a con until you spend the best day of DG ever on this private course all to yourselves, then it sac only be viewed as an incredible deal.
Other Thoughts: The pro-shop on site has a great selection of discs and gear so bring some extra cash.

Disc Golf Heaven

1    9/29/2017   10/4/2017
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: I want to start this review off by saying I am a recreational player so what I am looking for from a round of disc golf may be different than a more competitive player. That being said, Bucksnort is a DG experience that no one should miss out on.
Tees- The teepads are mostly natural although they are beginning the slow process of converting them over to landscaping stones. The stone pads that are in are fabulous and that will be a really nice tough when they are all done. The natural pads were all dry in spite of the fact it rained a lot there leading up to our trip and while we were there. No difficulty for our group throwing off the tees.
Creativity- I've never seen a more ingenious use of landscape for a course. There were a ton of incredible hole concepts. Its really impressive the thought that went into each and every tee and pin location. It seemed like every other hole made me smile at the thought of playing it.
Distance- This is truly a par 3 course, but unlike others, I don't view that as a negative. As it was, the course totally kicked my butt physically because of the strenuous nature of many of the climbs. One of the things I love the most about disc golf is the fact that you can put a dg course literally on any piece of ground, but with that comes limitations because of the topography, and I just don't see how you could turn this course into a longer one than it is while still maintaining the fun factor....especially with it being 28 holes.
Challenge- The real challenge at bucksnort is in the risk/reward of each hole. I've never played a course with more "pucker factor" type shots whether its drives or putts. I play a pretty conservative game but they beauty of bucksnort is that it doesn't give you that option on many holes. You have to go for it and then let the chips fall where they lay.
Scenery- The best you will ever see. I honestly don't know how you could find a course with more beautiful views. It was breathtaking (quite literally after some of the walks). Pictures do not do this course justice.
Amenities- There is an awesome pavilion area with grill where you can break after hole 13/14 to split the course in half. The bathroom is there as well. The signage on this course is exceptional and took away all guess work to where you were throwing. There is also at least one bench at almost every hole. We definitely used these a lot. It can't be overstated how rigorous the walking is with the extreme terrain and high elevation. I'm a 36 year old in mediocre shape but there were other guys with me that were in great shape and still needed long breaks in spots.
Cost- 20 bucks per person with an 80 dollar minimum. I had a group of 7 so that was no issue for us. The 20 bucks was well worth it to play one of the best courses around. Plus---we got the whole course to ourselves, which was a unique experience too.
Cons: There aren't many for me. It would be nice to have a port-a-potty in one or two other places but this is disc golf to the extreme and I don't think putting one out in the middle of a mountain is realistic. How would they access the thing to have it emptied? It would be cool if there were more tee-pad locations as well, but that isn't what Bucksnort is about. Sure--concrete tees would be great, but we never had trouble with the natural tees. The new stone tees will be phenomenal when they are finished.
Other Thoughts: My friends and I travel across the country each year to different disc golf destinations trying to play some of the better courses as rated on this site. We have hit a number of the top 10 courses and for my money, this is in my top 3 favorites all-time. As someone from Missouri we get plenty of rolling hills in our courses but nothing like what we experienced at Bucksnort. It was such a unique and awesome experience to play golf at the "top of the world". Paulie and Lowell were exceptional hosts and the love and passion they have poured into this is evident from the first shot to the last. Get to Colorado as soon as you can to play this once-in-a-lifetime type course. I've never smiled on a course so much in my life and for me, that is what I want out of DG---fun.

Play This Course

1    8/26/2017   8/29/2017
Review By: fooswillb21
Pros: Every hole is unique and challenging in its own way while keeping a great course feel. Nothing gimmicky about it!

The course is a bit physically challenging and there are many places to relax, take a break, and enjoy the views.

The owners and hosts are awesome. I'll be playing this course again!
Cons: I honestly can't think of anything!
Other Thoughts: Make sure to make a tee time so you aren't turned away. Currently only 2 per day so plan ahead!

EPIC!

1    8/26/2017   8/29/2017
Review By: Satchizmo
Pros: Best course I have ever played. The course is easy to maneuver from hole to hole, and the basket placement works well and very creative with the natural environment. The views are crazy and offer different perspectives from different holes. The cave basket is really really fun, but challenging.
Cons: Need a working grill for lunch time at the main lot area.
Other Thoughts: I would HIGHLY recommend this course to anyone who wants the ultimate in extreme mountain disc golf. This place is no joke.

My favorite course!

5+    4/20/2017   4/22/2017
Review By: ADJdisc
Pros: Beautiful views!! Lots of space. Wonderful hosts. Creative course.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I am not a good player but am always happy walking around this land and playing here. Linda and Lowell are the best!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6