Baytown, TX
Jenkins Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: c_a_miller Hole #14 (Taken 6/2013)

Share URL:

Front Nine Is An Average Park Nine But Back Nine Is Not Wotth The Walk!

1    10/1/2017   10/2/2017
This review was updated on 10/4/2017
Pros: Jenkins Park is a large county (?) park that was a beehive of activity on Sunday. There was a large family gathering that forced me to skip hole # 3 and I had to wait and/or throw carefully around other walkers, picnicking groups and just hanging around people. The course has baseball and softball fields, two different basketball courts, a dog park, soccer fields as well as dirt bike racing. As I was leaving, a guy shows up, unloads two little mini dirt bikes and sends his kids off spinning donuts and mostly terrorizing the anyone in their way. Where are you, Mr. Policeman?

The course starts between the two basketball courts. There is is a course map there. The concrete tee pads are fine. The nice colored tee signs show the intended route and have these amazing heavy duty bag holders on the backside. I didn't notice them until about half way through the course. Discatcher baskets have the yellow band and number on them. There are a few holes with benches.

# 1 & 2 both play around the curving baseball outfield fence. # 3 is a 511' hole with the deep ditch on your left and the parking lot on your right. Keep it straight here. # 4 is an right turning hole that throws around the children's water feature. It would be way too easy for someone to throw into the kids. But I would never pass by it without soaking my head on these hot humid Texas days.

I liked # 5. It's 326' with the canal on your left but a big tree kind of forces to you to throw left and let it drift back. I didn't much care for # 6 throwing 332' with deep woods on the left and the deep gorge on your right. 7 & 8 were typical park holes. # 9 plays 506' to the raised basket.

The back nine was way too open and boring. I have no other comment other than to ease my boredom, I started working on my rollers on about the last five holes. Zzzzzzzzzzzz!
Cons: The front 9 has a couple of safety concerns, especially on # 4. You should never under-estimate how off target some players will throw a disc.

# 3 skirts close to the parking lot.

The canal/river/ creek/ditch has steep banks and ugly looking water.

# 13 and # 14 add up to about 1200' of coma, inducing disc golf. Wake me up when I get past them.
Other Thoughts: My thoughts are if I were a big armed player, I would bypass this course and go play Evergreen Flyways DGC every single day and twice on Sundays. As a old recreational golfer, I would never again play the back nine. I would probably just keep playing the front nine loop. And surprise, when I left at noon on this beautiful day, there wasn't another golfer on the course. No surprise to me. Riding those mini trail bikes looked like more fun!

Meh....

1    6/28/2017   6/30/2017
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Tee signs on all the holes
Cement Tee pads on all the holes
Cons: long open holes on the back side
holes 9 and 18 baskets are elevated
Other Thoughts: the difference between the front nine and back nine are like night and day. Front side is in a better manicured section of the park. Lots of trees for shade and obstacles. The back 9 are long, mostly open holes in an area that is not mowed as regularly.

Ok, now for the baskets on holes 9 and 18. No, I do not like them. It is a gimmick like a putt putt golf course. you might as well put a windmill in front of the basket. Now if you had made the pyramid larger, or just a small hill, I would not have as much a problem with these two holes.

Too me, I just aim my upshot at the base and if I hit it, I got an easy putt.

Would I play this course again?

Probably not, it is a basic course, the front side is interesting but I have zero interest in playing the back 9 again.

Jenkins - worth the trip!

1    5/26/2017   5/26/2017
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: -Good Variety
-Challenging for beginners but not difficult
-Great Baskets with cement bases
-Nice park

Cons: -Backside is wide open
-New Kids Waterpad in way on hole 4
Other Thoughts: I like this course. It is a good case of a decent piece of property that sometimes floods being utilized for DG.
Nice Variety on length, I can really think of anything I would change for the better.

They did add a new Water Feature by hole 4 that is in the way....im guessing they will move the basket at some point to resolve any conflicts that may occur.
Jenkins+Evergreen is an amazing way to spend a day!

Worth the Drive

1    10/15/2016   10/16/2016
Review By: DiscNorth
Pros: Crisp look to the park. Baskets are well marked. Great launching pads/tee boxes. The setting is great.
Cons: A lot of traffic from pedestrians walking across the course. If you're a rookie/newbie (like myself) and are not great at throwing distance yet, be prepared for a lot of throwing (especially on the back 9...over 700+ feet/par 5 one one of the baskets).
Other Thoughts: I play with a group and we're all relatively new to disc-golfing. We thought it was a fantastic place to play and we look forward to making the hour drive again some future weekend. The front 9 had great shade, decent challenge with the trees, etc. The back 9 felt brutal (especially to me since I carry some extra weight). Not a lot of shade. Very wide open. Make sure to take some extra water if you're playing in the summer and have a decent hat if you play on a sunny day. Great course though! Great experience.

Pitch and Putt

1    8/9/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: lyleoross
Pros: The city clearly cares about this park, and put some real effort into the tee pads and signage.
Cons: While this course has some positives for beginning players, no player rated over 940 is going to enjoy playing here. Most players between 880 and 940 are going to get multiple birdies. If you have an arm, and low accuracy, this is the course for you.

1) In DG, trees are not for shade, they are there to challenge the player. When you don't have a lot of trees, you need to use them judiciously, not to shade the tee pads.
2) Almost every tree'd hole has a back door hyzer route, a route that is easier than the direct route by far. The one exception is a hole set up as a hyzer, here the forehand shot is an easy 200 foot lob that drops you at basket's edge.
3) If there is an open field, with some trees at the end, and a fifty foot wide hole in the trees, an advanced player will hit that hole 100% of the time.

Players should be forced to make decisions on shots. In this course, there is always one way the designer wanted you to go, or in many cases, a clear alternative, but very little thinking is involved.
Other Thoughts: It seems clear that the designer built the course for beginning players. The designer added in some long holes, maybe because the space was there? Movement of tees to better utilize trees and tighter spacing will move the real rating of this course up. The designer might go out to Tom Bass, another course with big fairways, where the designer used the few trees to great advantage, forcing players to think and push their games.

If you want a very clean park, that is really well maintained, for a very casual round of golf, this is it.

Great layout

5+    1/24/2015   1/24/2015
Review By: H-Town Hero
This review was updated on 1/31/2015
Pros: - Terrific overall layout; the course takes you on a "bowtie"-like path, where Hole 1's tee, 9's basket, 10's tee, and 18's basket all converge around the parking lot, making it very convenient to play just either set of 9, all 18 in order, or even each set reversed (like 10-18, then 1-9) if you'd like, and in any of those situations there is zero extra hiking back to your car. Also, the entire course is perfectly continuous -- each tee is extremely close to the previous hole's basket.

- Amazing signage! Each tee has a fully illustrated layout, with the hole number, distance, par, AND A PAIR OF BAG HOOKS! YAY! If you don't see the next tee right away (which is rare), there is always an arrow sign pointing you the right way.

- Long, concrete tees.

- Great mix of long and short holes, both wide open and tree cluttered, and a couple that go over / hug the creek bank.

- Nice, new, double-chained baskets that are clearly numbered.

- Park is well maintained, never overgrown.

- Need an excuse to come here? There's plenty of stuff here to convince the family: skate park, dog park, nice playgrounds, ball fields, plenty of trails including several that go throughout the trees... I usually bring my daughter, and I always remember to bring a plastic bag of Cheerios, so we can feed the many turtles that gather under the footbridge by the 4th Hole's basket.

- Benches and trash bins spread evenly throughout the course.

- The 9th and 18th's baskets being elevated on brick pyramids are a very nice touch.

- There's a practice basket by the 1st tee.
Cons: - While there are several shallow drainage ditches dug throughout the park (mostly around the playground area), Jenkins still has some flooding problems and takes longer than other places to dry out, mostly due to its overall flat terrain. Hole #1 is almost always completely underwater, unless the weather's been dry for at least a week or two. Other areas that (more often than not) suffer from standing water / mud are the 5th and 11th baskets. The 5th basket in particular seems to be placed in an area where the ground is just slightly sunken in more than everything past a 4 foot radius; one would think just moving it a few feet onto higher ground would fix this.

- While the park is well maintained, be extra careful of the thick brush growing in certain OB zones... they're very dense, and laced with plenty of thorns! Specifically around 5 and 10's baskets, and the whole left sides of 6, 11, and 12.

- The 1st and 2nd holes hug the outfield fence of a ballpark, so a bad hyzer throw on either of these would be pretty bad, mmm-kay?

- Like the other reviews say, the popular walking trails can really mess with your momentum, but I've only experienced real problems on the 9th hole, since a trail goes down its entire fairway from the parking lot... but I guess that's the price you pay for a busy park.
Other Thoughts: The 5th hole: while "over-the-water" holes are pretty cool, what makes this hole extra challenging is the extremely tight margin of error it allows... the hole is placed along a narrow trail just a few feet away from the creek's steep bank, but just in front of a treeline that's filled with some DENSE, THORNY brush. So if you throw just a little bit short, you risk tumbling into the creek, but on the other hand, overthrowing just a little bit can make you do your best Dr. Livingston impression, as you embark on your "Quest for the Lost Disc".

All in all, it's a great course, as long as the weather's been dry... otherwise it's a miserable mud fest. But the best part is having a well designed course less than a mile from my house! :)

Solid course!

5+    12/20/2014   12/28/2014
Review By: ddoublep4517
Pros: This course has every shot in the book! From your tunnel shot to the big arm hyzer flip! You have a mix of the short holes to the long holes with the front nine and back nine ending on elevated baskets! If your a beginner I recomend playing the front nine a few times before moving on to the back nine, the front nine is more technical and short while the back nine is full of big arm open shots! The course stays very well maintained by the city of Baytown so you never have to worry about playing in tall grass! And my favorite part of the course is the long tee boxes!
Cons: This course is shared in a park and a very busy one at that so you will often find yourself waiting to throw!

Favorite course! Worth the drive!

2-4    7/10/2014   8/31/2014
Review By: Loganpeake
Pros: Where do I begin?? This course is awesome! Baytown did a great job when they put this course in. Not only did they seek help from the dg community, but they didn't skimp on materials and land. This course has a little bit of everything...from lightly wooded shots to shots across the bayou, to grip it and rip it shots. The concrete tee pads are the best I've seen to date, the baskets are double chains and of high quality, and the course is very well thought out. Holes 1,9,and 18 are all near the nicely sized parking lot if you need to take a break, 9 and 18 are elevated with a nicely done brick pyramid-like hill, and there are facilities on site in the event you need to use the restroom or wash your hands or feet. Everyone I have taken out here has deemed this course an instant favorite of theirs. I highly recommend taking the drive out here to check it out. Come in the morning or evening, as a few long
holes are not shaded. Kudos to those involved with the design and construction of this course!
Cons: None. Only thing I can think of is I wish it were a little closer and there are 3 looooong holes back to back. Would've been nice to see them spread throughout the course.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the holes along and across the little bayou and bring bug spray and water!

Jenkins Delivers

2-4    10/2/2013   10/11/2013
Review By: uwdiscgolf
This review was updated on 11/4/2013
Pros: The Pros:

1. Tee boxes are concrete and big.

2. Baskets are are new with two sets of chains.

3. Tee signs at every hole with O.B. labeled.

4. Park is well kept. Mowed frequently.

5. Restrooms and other amenities. Jogging paths, dog, park, skate park, etc..

6. Lots of parking

7. Holes 1, 9, 18 all near parking lot.

8. Holes Nine and 18 are elevated islands.

9. Course has good use of trees , bayou and open space.

10. Practice basket right near hole 1 tee and parking lot.

11. Bag Hooks Tee Signs At Each hole.

*12. Park and city have an ongoing involvement in the park. Some of the brush along some of the fairways have been cut back.
Cons: The Cons:

1. Jogging paths can cause serious back ups.

2. The front nine plays near jungle gyms and jogging paths. So please be considerate of others. This is really the only big Con of Jenkins DGC.
Other Thoughts: I feel Jenkins is a great mix of short and long, wide open and moderately wooded holes, and uses the terrain and geographical features very well.

Hoels 1-6 play through trees and near the jogging path to bring you to the the bayou. After hole six you cross over to holes 7-18.

Best Holes front 9: 3, 4, 9

3: First shot is nothing more than a spot selection for your second shot. Careful because the trees are not forgiving if you dont pick a good line and follow it.

4. I would assume Big hyzers are the way to go since once you get past the big oak, you pretty much park it nea the basket or within 30 ft. That being said for RHBH and LHFH (LHFH is my style).

9: Elevated basket hello!! Texas Army Trail (TAT) is the only other DGC i can think back on that has an elevated basket. I love this because its one of the features of DISC GOLF that i love. You cant do that in ball golf. Other sports the basket, hole, strike zone, goal is always the same regulation size both in shape and distance form the ground. DISC GOLF IS AWESOME! ITS DIFFERENT! As with hole 18 the basket is elevated on an island as well.

The back nine hole open up to offer distance and accuracy. Hole 13 is the monster for Jenkins. posting at over 700'.

Best holes on Back 9: 13, 15

13: At over 700' this hole allows the big arms to come out and play. also gives those with drives less than 300' to work on long range rollers. The hole is pretty open some a 4 on this hole is easily manageable.

15: Being a LHFH I stepped up to the tee box thinking a perfect "S" shot would be sweet and sexy. As soon as I threw my dirver I was reminded of why i love Disc golf. My "S" left me less than 10' from the basket and watching it fly was so amazing. The beauty in disc golf is the flight of different discs and the paths you can take with them.

Jenkins is just a lot like my first course in Wisconsin. Not as much elevation though, but provides different shots to choose from to get to the basket, a range of short and long shots, wooded and non wooded holes, water hazards, and the FUN FACTOR! I highly recommend this course to all in the Houston area. With the PROS winning out right I can only say that Jenkins is a course i will go back to over and over again. A tiny bit more difficulty would put this course on my favorites list.

Best For Miles Around

1    9/10/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: Jenkins Park is a great disc golf course and just what this area needed as there are not too many others that are close. I enjoyed my round here. The layout was good for using the land well in the park and had some good challenges throughout. My favorite holes were: # 5 with its throw over the bayou-excellent birdie hole; # 6 which is also an excellent birdie hole. # 9 is a great challenge with its trees in just the right spots, narrow fairway, ob's and elevated basket. # 13 with its "grip and rip" open fairway. And I had to like # 14 as I got birdie with a 100 foot sunk putt. And, of course, # 18 with its elevated basket. Great signage and excellent concrete tees made this course a joy and privilege to play.
Cons: The only con I can name here is the wind a person can encounter on the wide open holes. Otherwise I see no other cons at this time.
Other Thoughts: This is a disc golf course that was a long time coming for the city of Baytown. I was glad to come out this day and experience it with a couple of friends. This is a great course and worth the trip out to play. I know I will do so again sometime.