Carmel, IN
Hazel Landing Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #10 (Taken 12/2014)
Hole #10 Basket "B" to Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Tough but Fair

5+    6/23/2019   7/11/2019
Review By: DiscBallGolfer
Pros: Concrete tees
Multiple tees and basket locations to play a longer course or short course. I prefer the short pins and tees.
Demands accuracy and precision, any errant shots into the rough will eat your discs!
Fun holes along the river that will take your discs!
Opportunities for multiple ace runs with well thrown throws!
Challenges your hyzer and anhyzer throws. I love the variety.
Cons: The rough on the right side of 12 and both sides of 14 is just absurd. Obviously its the throwers fault for going in there but give us a chance to find our discs! I've lost several discs in that THICK THICK rough. The rough on the remaining holes in penalizing but you still have a chance to find a disc!

The routing of 13-15.5 is horrible now

Floods horribly during heavy rains, not the courses fault though.

Incredibly buggy in the summer. Bring lots of bug spray.

Other Thoughts: I'd like to understand the thought process of why they decided to change hole 13, that was a great hole playing through some of the biggest trees on the property. One of those massive trees fell down and in my opinion, created an awesome visual barrier. The alternate 13 is a total after thought and 15.5 is no more than a gimmicky hole.

Aside from the issue above, this course is my favorite to play in Hamilton County but has much room to improve. I wonder if they intend to add holes along the old growth trees adjacent to the finishing holes?

COURSE NUMBERING 13-15

1    3/25/2019   3/25/2019
Review By: frognuts69
Pros: Championship level course
Cons: Hole 13 is tee pad and pin #14, hole 14 is tee pad and pin #15, and hole 15 is tee pad #15.5 but uses pin marked #13

The Best Course in Greater Indianapolis

5+    9/23/2017   9/25/2017
Review By: hatguy
Pros: This course has gotten better and better over the years. A lot of the undergrowth that existed originally has thinned out leading to fewer lost discs. With not much elevation change to work with in central Indiana, the wooded holes are the perfect equalizer. The wooded holes are tough but fair with clear paths to the basket. There is a nice mix of longer and shorter holes and the back tees should offer a decent challenge to even hard core players.
Cons: The nettles are not fun, but they only come into play on three holes. This is definitely a course you can lose a disc or two on. We occasionally run into hikers wandering around the course taking in the scenery with no idea they're in the line of fire.

Falls just short of Excellent

1    11/1/2016   11/4/2016
Review By: tangerinewarehouse
Pros: Great variety of shots
Nice and secluded
Beautiful river running through
Chance to use touch and air it out big
Challenging tight wooded fairways
Dual tee pads
well maintained
Cons: There aren't too many cons on this type of course
Some high grasses in that open part, could loose a disc
water hazards
Other Thoughts: This is the go to course in the area I feel, when I visit I try to play this one for sure. A good way to tell if a course is going to rock is if you have to drive on a dirt/gravel road to get there, that's always a good sign. This is a wonderful piece of land and a very challenging and well designed course. Seasoned players will love this course but I could see a beginner getting frustrated. I think this course is rated spot on. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's excellent but it just misses the mark, simply because I feel a number of the shots are slightly repetitive. Sometimes with the terrain, that type of thing is unavoidable.

Hazel Landing

1    8/22/2015   8/24/2015
Review By: Maynard67
Pros: - Great layout, very easy to move from hole to hole for first timers.
- Nice mix of wooded and open holes.
- Nice signage at each tee box.
Cons: - Seemed a little scetchy when first pulling off the road, but the park is really nice once you get in the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: This was a really fun course to play. Will definitely play again if I am ever in the area.

my fav in Indy

1    6/21/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: INDY_NEBO
Pros: Best course around as far as diversity in shot characteristics as well as terrain. It's well secluded, the only other people you may see while playing is the occasional trail walker or kayaker. Beautiful scenery and clean grounds. Top notch baskets and dual concrete tees.
Cons: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, somebody change the baskets back to the short settings. They have seriously been in the B placement ALL YEAR. I'm not a fan of any courses changing the basket locations, especially if they have multiple tee pads. If a player feels ballsy and wants a challenge, just use the long tees! Half of my friends said they wouldn't play this course with me until they move the darn baskets back!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING THEM BACK DOWN. Oh, and do something about all these dag gone nettles! I seriously keep a long scycle like stick with me when I play this course so I can mow thru the nettles without getting stung to death.
Other Thoughts: Another thing missing here is a community bulletin board. I know, its the 2010's and everything's online, but I find guys get more enthusiastic about future events and leagues when they see it on a board right before they play a round!

Very Solid

1    4/19/2015   4/19/2015
Review By: optimalben
Pros: Organization: the layout is very intuitive and well measured/signed. A+ on this. Tee pads are new and big; trails are well defined and located.

Level of difficulty: the pins were all "back" today, so I played from the shorter tees, and this was a perfect combination of challenge and satisfaction. Plenty of long putts for 2s (none went in though, sadly) and I didn't feel "screwed over" by the course. All my bad scores were really my own fault.

This is one of the best new (to me) courses I've played in a while.
Cons: Nothing worth mentioning. Hardcores would complain that the way I played today wasn't that challenging and the course doesn't play very long. But that's why the gold tees are there.
Other Thoughts: Don't be dissuaded by the way in. Coming off 96th street, you feel like you're in this pit mining sewage treatment plant hellhole, but the park is upriver from all that and very scenic and nice-smelling.

Competition Worthy

2-4    12/20/2014   12/22/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Starting at the fantastic course map (please, someone post that up here on DGCR!), and the DisCatcher practice basket, Hazel Landing has a large space to stretch out, in view of some shaded picnic tables over by the river, then has a nice sign showing the way to the first tee. You'll find two large, level, flush, concrete tee pads and two basket positions for each hole, and beautiful Houck designed signs at each tee. With the added next tee signage where needed, this course shows how to do it up right. Navigation is easy and intuitive, even for first timers. It's no surprise, as you play the course, to find sturdy infrastructure (steps and the like), where needed to cross the little ravines, or to scale the ridges by the river.

Despite being in the level floodplain of a river (so not having much elevation to work with), the design incorporated the woods, as well as the tall grasses and trees (in the 'field' holes), to challenge every tourney division to execute their shots off the tee. Depending on the setup and your choice of tees, I could see this being a tough play for all. There isn't any monstrous distance, but the longer shots require a fairly accurate line to get in close for birdie opportunities. But even the technical woods holes were almost all 'fair'. I found the hole closest to the river (10) to have a bit of 'pucker factor' when throwing my two-ace Buzzz for another attempt, after having just bashed chains (and fallen out) on 9. I chose to throw safe for my deuce and not risk a kick off a tree into the drink.
Cons: Not much to complain about, but it is worth mentioning that -most of the time-, the long tees seem to add only more distance and precision to the same shot as the short tees, rather than going for a completely different look (a couple of the exceptions being the very fun, gulley running, raised basket hole 8, and hole 17, with the longer tee requiring an S-shaped drive).

Some of the holes appear to have been 'tweaked' since the signage was made up. I noted that hole 7 now sweeps pretty far to the right of what the sign indicates, and that hole 12 has the tees different than the sign (and seemed shorter from the blue tee than listed).

Just a personal observation/preference, but with some of the really short holes being extremely challenging and fun (the huge trees, VERY tight gaps, and mando on 13 spring to mind), it felt like the last couple of more 'open' holes failed to finish with a bang. But then, I was playing the blue tees in the winter, and the experience might be more thrilling for the bigger arms from the gold tee on 18, with summer leaves defining the line).
Other Thoughts: It would be very easy for first timers to miss the small park entrance sign across from 106th street, because the place doesn't look like a park until you travel the length of the gravel drive to the 'civilized' and well-kept parking area at the end.

You may want a spotter ahead on the 'field' holes, because the tall rough just off the somewhat narrow fairways look like they could be disc eaters in the summer.

Fun secluded course I want to play again!

1    11/29/2014   11/29/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Long and short concrete tee pads.
Two basket locations for each hole.
Many different shots and unique holes.
Very secluded park, even though it's in the middle of suburbia.
Awesome signage.
A couple of butt hole puckering holes along the river!
Cons: Hardly any elevation (like most of central Indiana).
Looks like the weeds can be disc eaters in the summer. Some of the open holes remind me of Heritage Park near Cincy, but lined with way more weeds. (These weeds/zebra grass/natural habitat areas seem to be all the rage in suburban parks. Not just weeds from lack of upkeep like at my course!)
Other Thoughts: To play quickly and bag as many courses during the day, I played the short pads. It was fun, but I wish I would have played the longs. When I saw hole 13 long I thought, "whew, glad I'm playing the short pad!"

Hole 8 and 13 look like they play in an old canal possibly? Sure looks like a canal bed with the old towpath and subsequent railroad bed between the canal and river. But, I couldn't follow it farther along the river. Reminds me of the old canal in Wesselman Park in Evansville.

I really enjoyed this course and look forward to a return trip for the long pads!

Great course

2-4    11/24/2014   11/29/2014
Review By: formerwrestler
Pros: Nice course with good variety of holes. Some wooded, some long, very well maintained.
Cons: Little hard to find.
Other Thoughts: DG course not well marked off of Hazel Dell. At the intersection of 106th St. and Hazel Dell go East into park.

< Prev 1 2 3