Riga, Latvia
UFOGOLF Share
Uploaded By: UFOGOLFer Hole #2

Discin In The Baltics!

1    8/9/2018   8/9/2018
Pros: Discin in the Baltics on a unseasonable hot 89 degree European day in this wonderful, shady course was a fairly awesome experience. Mezapark Park is a very large sprawling park in Riga, Latvia. I only was able to glimpse the area containing the disc golf course which is right next to the zoo entrance. I had the cab driver ( 17 euros) from my downtown hotel) drop me at the zoo's entrance. I took the tram back for 1.40 euros.

The disc golf course's terrain features lots of shade trees and thin underbrush. It's mostly flat with just enough elevation to keep things interesting. I'm not exactly sure of how to play this course. In one section is a 10 hole rec course made up of a series of 150' holes. Then I came across the UFOGOLF Reception house (see DGCR picture). Three or four paths intersect here. The Reception House was closed but this looked like the course's starting point. There is a course map here as well as some chairs sitting under some shade trees. But these holes are numbered 1-9? So it appears to me that there should be a 10 hole rec course and then a 9 hole, more challenging course.

The signs for the short course are round metal ones showing the hole #, distance in meters, a route and the par. The longer course signs are the same but mounted on strong metal poles. The tee pads are mostly carpet with maybe three of them just painted on the sidewalk. The baskets are Discatchers with a small number on the side. I think they all have a small metal arrow in the basket part pointing you to the next hole. The baskets on the longer course (220' to about 575') are newer Discatchers.

The shorter course has quite a few Mandos to keep you challenged. These Mandos are clearly marked black/white signs with an arrow directing you. A couple featured some really severe angles. # 4 has a Mando feature that I don't believe I've ever encountered. It was a double Mando but with the second Mando being 40' past the first. You'll probably need to come to Riga to understand what I'm trying to portray here.

I didn't think the longer 9 was quite as interesting. Most of its holes played down paths and park roads. My personal favorite hole was # 8 here on the long course. It plays 82 meters over a hump and then a slight anhysering route to the basket which isn't visible from the tee. It gets my vote as the "We're thrilled not to be in the Oppressed Soviet Union Anymore hole" sponsored by Riga's favorite vodka, Profitez Vodka.
Cons: Other than the slightly confusing numbering system between the short 10 hole and the longer back 9 (or is it the front 9?) I don't have much.

One sign on the shorter course had been slightly bent up.

I didn't care for the straight holes playing down the paths and roads on the longer 9.

I think this course could be muddy much of the time. Riga gets a lot of rain and many of these small hills might be treacherous when wet.

The short 10 hole section is definitely an easy recreation course.
Other Thoughts: You kind of have to pinch yourself when you're a playing a course in Riga, Latvia. However, I am forced to rate this course according to DGCR standards. I liked it a lot but then again, it fit my recreational disc golf game just fine. Intermediate players will tear it up and probably be bored after the "I'm playing a course halfway around the world" excitement wears off. It was fun. The shade was wonderful today but I think it's a 3.0 course. By all means, when you find yourself in Latvia and you'd rather play disc golf then chase tall, blonde, beautiful Latvian girls, then come on out to Mezapark and give the UFOGOLF Disc Golf Course a chance. It's more fun than a Latvian polka!

A little tough to find but worth it

1    9/15/2017   9/26/2017
Review By: Evak
Pros: Once I found the course, navigation was very easy. Turf teepads were in great shape and signage was excellent and in good condition. Pin placement was well thought out and lines through the trees were a lot of fun. Good mix of short and long, left and right holes. Course was very heavily wooded but there was very little chance of losing a disc.
Cons: Very flat land but they made the most out of what little elevation change they have. Park goers are oblivious to disc golf and did not know where the course was located.
Other Thoughts: I took a Princess Cruise throughout Scandinavia and played 6 courses including this one. I focused on the closest but most quality 18+ hole courses I could find near the port. I took a taxi to Mezaparks and was dropped off a long way from the course and I think the zoo may have been closer to the course. I struggled to find a taxi back but some locals I made hand gestures to called one for me. Overall, it was very worth the trip and if you're ever out there, go!

Reveal UFO

2-4    9/3/2013   9/5/2013
Review By: UFOGOLFer
Pros: Baskets: new DisCatcher (permanent)
Tee Pads: concrete, just made and clean every time
Tee signs: present but approximate map and a few different distances from the real.
General Course Design: taking into account that the area is in a forest, then well-planned holes. Fairways do not cross and holes loop back to start.
Many near activities that can be tried in Mezaparks without disc golf - bike rent, roller skates rent, overhead cable route through the trees etc.
Other Thoughts: Great course for beginners and also for experienced players. Tricky mandatory gates and somewhere OB is close to fairway. Good course to improve mid-range and putt game.