Lafayette, LA
Girard Park Share
Uploaded By: timg

Share URL:

Beautiful City Park And I Liked The Golf, Too!

1    10/3/2017   10/3/2017
Pros: I seem to have had a more positive experience at Girard than the previous reviewers. Girard Park is this long, sprawling park. It seemed like I was driving by it forever looking for the course. It has all the usual attractions that many parks have, tennis courts, recreation center, children's play area, a fencing center and a most popular walking trail which circles the park. I think you might spot some attractions walking on this trail. The park is green and lovely and has a nice, gently rolling terrain which is excellent for a course.

The course starts right in front of the fencing center. There is a nice course sign and map here. There is a large tee pad here, unfortunately it's filled with wood chips which always end up bunched and uneven. I agree with others that they make for a terrible tee pad fill. The baskets are Discatchers, some with single chains and others are double chain.

The # 1 hole is a pretty little downhill toss ( maybe 210') to a basket set in this valley area between some trees. Other reviewers have all mentioned the crowds as being a problem at Girard. The only folks I had any problem with were here on # 1. There were two hammocks tied on these trees down by the basket. A young lady was contentedly reading a book in the first hammock. She was close enough that I didn't have to worry about her. The second hammock was closed up like a cocoon. I wasn't exactly sure what to think or do? Are these homeless cajuns? Both hammocks looked to be brand new. But this was such a pretty little hole, and I really wanted to play it so I fired away, attempting to keep my drive low. My drive landed just below the hammock. A nice shot. As I putted out, I see a guy and a girl sleeping in their cocoon. Weird!

# 2 is a pretty little, downhill hyser shot. I couldn't.t locate a pad for # 3 so I just took a guess and threw. # 4 is another easy hyser toss about 225'. # 5 is a little longer at 375' and plays to the basket in the corner. There is this great, interesting picnic table here. It looks like it came from a Harry Potter set. # 6 plays 260' along the parking lot. You could throw straight at the basket and risk fading left and hitting a car or take the safer inside passage. As usual, I played it safe. # 7 is an easy little 180' hyser Ace Run to an open basket.

# 8 was an open, boring 250' throw to a basket sitting all alone. Then # 9 is about 240' but you need to keep your drive low enough to avoid tree branches. I liked the golf here. It's definitely recreational level. Intermediate players needn't waste their time.

Cons: The tee lads are crummy.

I never found the # 3 pad.

This park looks popular and probably draws crowds of people. We need to share or skip the occasional hole or two or three. Who am I kidding? I used two kids napping in a hammock as target practice.

Other Thoughts: I played Girard just before lunch on a Tuesday morning. The walking path had a constant stream of walkers and joggers but other than the hammock dwellers, I played unobstructed golf, and enjoyed the hell outta this course. It's such a pretty park with it's slightly, hilly, rolling terrain. Probably a shame that it get's so much use that the disc golf is adversely affected.

Who in the hell brings their hammock from home and attaches it to trees in a public park? I don't get it. And not one but two hammocks. And it didn't appear that they were in this caper together? Is Baton Rouge the hammock capitol of Louisana? Did LSU losing to Troy State Saturday night somehow upset the universe down here and cause these people to think they were in their own yards?

Harumph.

2-4    5/20/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: mmmpineapples
Pros: Nice open fields for a beginning player to get accustomed too, Baskets are pretty okay. Right in the heart of the city and a step away from downtown, the park itself is pretty sweet.
Cons: People, people, people. No course signs (sans 1 at the first target). Teepads are a nightmare. Dangerous course.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't the best in the south, Located intertwining the park, GP's course is just a testament to how much potential the course has. However it's biggest flaw is everything else. First off, the course is again, snaking through the park. Which means people. Loads of them lounge about, and i honestly feel like kind've a jerk when every hole I either have to ask them to move, or try to attempt to stop their child from picking up my disc and throwing it around. I had a hard time trying to get one back from a dog as well.

Second thing that really irked me were the teepads, They are supposed to be woodchip but after constant abuse and wear, the ground was warped and you can easily snap your ankle here if youre not careful. It seems that after the hurricane it's just been ignored, and that, with the horrible design and repetitiveness gives the course a bad rep and look to it.

I agree with most disc golfers here that the course be uprooted and moved, or renovated. This course is much too dangerous and children can get hurt.

True disc golf not found here

1    4/3/2009   6/12/2009
Review By: Part-Time Ninja
Pros: Its a park to throw in. Baskets are nice.
Cons: Very repetitive..........No real use of the little terrain that is there. People in the way.
Other Thoughts: I agree with pull and re-do The park could be done way better and keep the same amount of land.

Busy Busy

1    3/14/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: littleshoe
Pros: Located in the heart of Lafayette. Bathrooms readily available. Concrete Tees.
Cons: Very very repetitive. Long straight holes. Few trees. Course clearly not planned well, terrain ignored. Simple, long, flat and clear. Very busy during the day that I was there which was a saturday. Saw other golfers who yelled for people to move away from the baskets or out of the way of discs.
Other Thoughts: This course needs to be pulled and redone. A good course to work simple accuracy, will not test or try the slightly-above-average disc-golfer. Will leave you wanting more in a bad way. There are better courses in Lafayette if you only have time for one.