Mountain Top, PA
American Legion DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #3 (Taken 9/2013)
-- / 327ft. Par / Distance:

tight but good

5+    7/6/2017   7/8/2017
Review By: telemanjim
Pros: The peat bog/trailer park area hole is one of my all time favorite holes. Aim to the left side of the stone wall and if you clear wall by two feet or so you get rewarded with a tap in. (the wind can make a difference on this hole as well).

Kudos to the designer of hole 16 "dedicated to the mind of Kurt Vonnegut".... brilliant, and I can actually see some Kilgor Trout in the way the old damaged tree blocks the basket at a weird angle.
Cons: walk from 18 back to parking lot....if you start on 8 you can go from 18 to 1....can be nice alternative way to play.

Mostly short holes that will punish you if your shots are off.

bring the bug spray, wear long pants
Other Thoughts: This is my home course so I play it a lot, over time as it gets more worn in Previously hard to maneuver areas are becoming more playable adding to enjoyment.

Enjoy the M-60 (A3?) tank as you walk back to the parking area.

Rocks and trees

1    4/3/2017   4/3/2017
Review By: swnagle
This review was updated on 4/10/2017
Pros: Really fun course. Great to work on your accuracy.

1, 2, 3 and 4 are through the woods and are tight. 5 is a fun open shot down a hill and basket is tucked to the left. 6 is open with two main alleys to the basket. 7, 8 and 9 are open shots that lead into wooded approaches. Hole 9 you throw over a rock pile into the woods which is fun. 10 is wooded but there is different throwing lines to the basket. 11..... not a pro for this course. GET A SIGN on the tee pad. Also there was just one pink ribbon marking where to throw into a broken fence. 12 to 17 are all tight and wooded. A lot of dog leg rights (bring on the lefties/flicks). Hole 18 is open. There is a forehand line between the trees to the left (parked one 10 feet away). Also a open backhand line right down the middle.
Cons: Could not find hole one. For me this was due to designated disc golf parking lot was right off hole 8 and no sign pointing you in the direction of hole 1.
Hole 1 is really 400 feet away by the baseball fields and a little play ground. Had to ask a friendly Legion patron for directions to hole 1.

Hole 11. Get a sign on there. A sign/arrow right when you get out of the woods would be great.

All par 3s. Would like to see some par 4s and just one par 5 would be a deal maker.

Hole 15: IMO I had a perfect low flick right down the middle of the fairway, faded right at the corner and then denied. It is a poke and hope. No true flight path (fairway) to the hole. Needs opened up a little.

DO not play barefoot or with thin shoes. Rocks on all paths and fairways in wooded areas. (hey that is their train, but be warned)
Other Thoughts: Not cart friendly. Rocks= speed bumps walking to every hole and on every fairway. No a deal breaker, but definitely backpack it.

Lots of TIGHT holes with one line (this might be because I am not a local). But with that said, this is what makes it so gratifying when you run through a tunnel and hit the bottom of the basket as I did on hole 17.

Just watch your footing on the rocks.

American Legion

5+    11/20/2017   8/2/2016
Review By: ruraljuror
This review was updated on 11/28/2017
Pros: -Tee signs are a beauty (Hole 11 does not have one, but it is to the right after you leave the path from 10--there is a dirt patch facing a 330 foot+ field [look at the pink ribbons]). Can't get lost!
-Great place to work on accuracy
-Almost right off the highway and easy to get to
-The bar allows disc golfers to partake in beverages and food
Cons: -Nothing to mark the tee for 11
-The trailers are an eyesore. During Halloween time they turn the parking lot/hole 7 into a "maze"
-walk from 18 is about a mile long back to the parking lot
Other Thoughts: -Bar goers have all been friendly with me and always want to chat about disc golf.
-The Legion often hosts shooting events or parties on hole 8 over the weekend. Best to avoid the shooting. Most events are advertised near the Church road entrance.
-Some extremely difficult holes with little room for error even for experienced players.

Fun course

5+    4/26/2015   4/28/2015
Review By: tbrust311
Pros: One of my favorites in the area. Nice wood burned signage, well maintained, pretty straightforward layout, but I can see getting lost on hole 11 as I think it's the only hole without a sign.

Lots of variation, good place to practice different kinds of shots. I tend to play backhand with both hands so I find it fun to be able to have a different strategy for each hole.

Mix of elevation, wooded fairways, wide open fairways, tricky navigation. All-in-all a great place to fine tune your game.
Cons: Walk from hole 18 to the parking lot is pretty far, as others have stated. I make it a point to do long drives in the field on the walk back, because why not?

A lot of holes need to be played perfectly, getting into the rough here will really affect your score! Can be a bit daunting for beginners looking down the "hallway of trees" on the first hole.

Hole 6 is my least favorite. You need a near perfect tee shot to hug the road and S back to the narrow path to get up to the basket. Very rewarding when you do, not so great if you shank the shot.
Other Thoughts: Being the closest course from Wilkes-Barre, this is my go-to spot. This course has really helped hone my game with the plethora of technical holes.

Be mindful of the rules--mainly parking. Don't interfere with foliage on the fairways, baseball games, or events taking place at the pavilion, etc.

Solid Course

5+    12/27/2014   12/27/2014
Review By: carouselzero
Pros: Beer on site!
Multiple lines to throw for each hole
Navigation is easy and signage is good
Rewarding when you're having a good day
Good mix of open/semi-open/tight holes
Plenty of parking
Very clean
Cons: 18 finishes very far from the parking lot
Additional uses of the property could render some holes unplayable
A fair amount of "poke and hope" holes
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is just a fun course to play. Removing just a couple trees would make this one of the best courses in the area. Everything is well maintained and very clean.

beer on site!

5+    12/16/2014   12/16/2014
Review By: 21111
Pros: Another local course with 18 Innova Discatchers.
Tee signs are hand made an offer a nice touch throughout.
1 asphalt tee box (hole #8)
16 natural tees, consisting of crushed stone.
once you know where you are going it is quick to play.
18 distinct holes, not at all repetitive other then being tight and technical.
Memorable holes #5, #9 and #18
Cons: Hole #11 is lacking a tee box
Hole #7 at different times of the year has, trailers in the middle of the fairway.
Excessive walking between holes and at the end of the round.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play. Flick friendly design for the RHBH player. You'll want to place an emphasis on accuracy and good putting to ensure a good score. I had some navigation issues the first time through in large part to the tractor trailers on the 7th hole, and lack of signage getting you to the part of the course where holes#11- #18are located. Tough course for beginners.
Beer is available on site.
Start on hole #7 or #8 and eliminate some of the walking.

Tough congested course

2-4    8/10/2014   9/4/2014
Review By: nwinnie34
Pros: Course was challenging, left me feeling satisfied, great mix of tight woods, open-ness, obstacles, baseball fields haha, and very very fine line shots to be made. Baskets were in excellent condition, signage was good enough to figure things out, luckily i went with someone who played the course before.
Cons: Course is challenging as hell, there are about 4-5 holes where there is no line.... just throw.... hit trees.... hopefully bounce somewhere so that you do have a line. Not sure where they were going with those holes, absolutely no where to throw but into trees and hope for the best. I played when it rained.... place was a mess.

Legion people can be pretty pissy with people parking in the parking lot. You must park off to the left before you get in the lot, the workers at the Legion were VERY quick to tell me if im playing disc golf they will tow my car as soon as we started playing. Thanks bud, hope you have an awesome day too.... there were 40 open spots, but your were concerned with the one i was parked in.
Other Thoughts: Overall I cant complain, I would go back, I WILL PARK in the area NOT in front of the Legion haha.

Cool place... i enjoyed myself, nice mix of shots, flick, backhand, tomahawk, if you play par golf here, you had a decent day.

Played +5 my first round, played +1 my 2nd round.... was soaked so i went home.

Am Legion is a go

1    7/25/2014   7/27/2014
Review By: garman2112
Pros: Excellent tee signs and easy to follow. Mowed and really fun. Wood and fields.
Cons: 1/4 mile walk from 18th hole to parking. course is fairly long to begin with.
Other Thoughts: 1st tee is just right of the main hall near the playground/swing set

A nice Club course

1    4/19/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: jrawk
Pros: Update: 4/23/14 - I received a message from one of the designers and he confirmed that restrictions were placed on removing foliage to find tune fairways and the trailors we're put on 7's fairway without warning. They are currently pursuing a revision to hole 7. I have to give the course designers some praise here because given their restrictions, they really identified the best parts of the land for holes which is the hardest part of course design especially when you can't cut foliage.
-----------

I rated this course a "2.0 - Reasonable" because "reasonable" is how i'd describe the course to others who have not yet played it. I feel my review below supports that rating.

The most notable thing I took away from this course was the Designers' obvious intimacy with the land used for almost every hole. Some other reviews state there are some lengthy walks between holes. Nothing was huge (other than 18 to 1), it is obvious the guys building this course knew the best parts of the woods with unique features to drop in a challenging hole. There are some unique rock formations (natural and/or handmade) that come into play, as well as the elevation changes. It is unfortunate that many holes (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11) are designed near or sometimes on top of areas used for other activities.

The wood burned tee signs are beautiful and effective. Bravo to whomever took the time to create them all.

As of April 2014, seemed like all holes had direction arrows pointed the way to the next tee pad, however, we didn't find a definitive tee pad or tee sign for hole 11.
Cons: Very plug and play. Unfortunately this course has an overwhelming feeling that the designers said "plug the tee pad here, plug the basket there, ready? let's play". Perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I did not notice many stumps or tree limbs removed to facilitate a refined/tweaked fairway. At least the places where they put those tees and baskets were chosen wisely for the most part.

I feel like widening/defining a few of the front 9 wooded fairways would go a long way on improving the course. The poke-and-hope method takes over early, as me and my friend traded exchanges 3's and 6's every other hole. When I'd get a 3, they'd get a 6. When they'd get a 6, I'd get a 3..... on 280ft par 3's. We both got frustrated quickly. And I knew I better wait a few days before writing a review.

Balance and Bias - The majority of the course is RHBH biased with most baskets finishing on the left side of the fairway from the center of the fairway. There are some dog leg rights on the back 9 that add a little diversity, but even those have a basket positioned on the left side of the fairway. I usually don't pay any heed to this when reviewing courses, however for how heavily wooded these fairways are, basket-position balance should be considered when most holes have very limited recovery options. Sometimes even an overhand shot was not a recovery option for a lie 5 feet off the "fairway".

Hole 7 basket was hard to find because it was behind some trailers. This hole has an extra alternate tee location that is to be used when the grass/gravel parking lot it plays over is being used. The day we played the parking lot was without cars, however the top side of the lot ( the side closest to the basket) had 4 semi-permanent trailers parked end forming a square (each trailer was a side of the square). From either tee pad, we didn't feel comfortable throwing at the basket tucked behind those trailers so we skipped it and went on to hole 8.

Hole 11 tee is not easy to find, and I still question if we played from the correct spot. We ended up playing from what appeared to be a toe board in the middle of the gravel roadway that runs between the woods and the baseball back-stop. There were no markings or orange cones nearby as others have mentioned in their reviews.

Hole 18 finishes very far away from the cars, and even farther away from hole 1 tee. This, too me, is only a big deal if the course will host shot-gun start events when players would not be starting on hole 1.
Other Thoughts: While it's a nice Club course, it is not a tournament friendly course. The long walk from hole 18 to hole 1 doubles back across many other fairways. Too many delays would be needed to allow the players to walk from one end to the other so they can continue play. The property would have to specifically halt many other activities such as organized baseball, skeet shooting, anything that requires overflow parking.
As an out of towner without knowing the current conditions at the property (ie. Will a baseball game prevent me from playing a hole or two) I don't think I will come back the next time I'm passing through visiting family. I will likely continue on to a different course I have not yet played.

OK

2-4    3/30/2013   11/2/2013
Review By: TMF2
This review was updated on 4/23/2014
Pros: Maintained well. Decent mix of holes. A couple of memorable holes. Liked the tee signs on the first few holes. Nice locals. Pub on premises, gotta dig that.
Cons: 18 finishes in a different zip code. Holes 6 and 11 seem kind of stuck there to glue the rest of the course together. Hole 5 needs a fairway.
Other Thoughts: Ran into a couple of very helpful locals. Helped me get about.