Lake Stevens, WA
Lake Stevens DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #10 (Taken 5/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun and interesting

1    4/2/2017   5/17/2017
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: 18 hole course located in a nice city park and next to a school in Lake Stevens, WA.

Concrete tee pads, one per hole. They're not the greatest tees in the world, but they're plenty sufficient for this course. Grippy, mostly level, and just big enough, even if some are showing some wear.

The baskets here are one of a kind. Locally made, and more of a "net and bowl" kind of configuration. These are definitely not your typical configuration, but are interesting and different enough that you'll have to be cognizant of where you land, and how you're going to putt. No laser beam hyzer putts here! I kind of enjoyed the strategy of these. Not a huge fan of the different chain configurations on each, though. If you're going to have completely unique catching devices, at least try to make them standardized.

This isn't the biggest piece of land for an 18 (19) hole disc golf course, but it's used well. Short holes are made difficult but a plethora of wide-trunked trees, and the elevation that's available is used well. Most holes offer multiple lines, but typically with one line most well defined. Plenty of replay value in that regard.

Nice amount of shot variation, especially considering the length of most holes. A couple spots of yucky water offer more obstacles as well.
Cons: Navigation is kind of a nightmare here. Just a few tee signs, and a few spray painted directions on trees are used as the navigational tools. Even after having played it, I'm sure I'd still get mixed up if I went back. The holes all play in pretty close proximity to each other (watch out for tree kicks!) and the baskets are not numbered. If it's your first time, your best bet is to tag along with a local, or at least follow them around the course. Even with a map I was turned around a couple times.

I really dug the baskets here, but some people may not be as into them as I was. The chains could definitely use an update.

There's a couple holes that are kinda sorta let-er-rip, but mostly it's short and technical.
Other Thoughts: Lake Stevens definitely isn't the toughest course out there...but it's also not the easiest. It has an unique feel to it that will appeal to players of nearly every skill level (at least for a couple spins). Without a doubt, the most obviously different feature about this course is the baskets, and in my book, that alone makes it worth a spin or two. A definite play if you're in the area.

July 2016

2-4    7/4/2016   7/11/2016
Review By: mwd907
Pros: This is a beautiful forested course. It was clean of garbage the when I played and the locals were generally friendly.

Big trees with decent "fairways"

Not crowded and groups let us pass.
Cons: Egg baskets presented a challenge and added strokes.

More signage or indication of location of next hole. At one point we threw to the wrong basket.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course. Beautiful, cool forest. Variety of shots.

1    5/3/2016   5/3/2016
Review By: tzadiq
Pros: It is in the woods. The day I played it the temperatures were creeping up into the 80's and it was nice to play in the shade. It was a little difficult for me but I enjoyed the challenge. Yes sometimes there are no obvious or clear paths but even that helps you to focus on precision and not on raw power. To me this is a plus since I don't have all that much power to begin with.

I liked the egg baskets. I thought it made the course unique and I really had to think about placement on an upshot and precision for the actual putts. It did not detract from my experience at all. Yes I could have had a wee bit lower score but that's just part of the game

Over all I really liked this course and will definitely be back

Cons: Parking. I parked downtown and it was a short walk really but it seemed longer in the sun.

No restroom facilitys

Signage to the next tee would have been helpful. If I hadn't been following some locals I'd have been wondering around a lot more.

Other Thoughts: The locals were great. Helpful and friendly.

The game store downtown has course maps and scorecards.

nice big douglas fir and cedar trees around park!

5+    5/13/2013   3/13/2016
Review By: EverettSilvertips
Pros: they had many many trees in the way, which make it more fun and challenge for everyone.

techinical throws most holes.

well balanced with up, down, trees, narrows, etc.

some has good teepads
Cons: all baskets are oddballs! they are old school basket, that you don't see it everyday. it is not fair if you hit those basket that are "supposed" to be in.

some natural grounding, need some good teepads, and some steps needed to be covered.

mostly no signs. i had to depend on trees, they had painting marks to tell us which to go.
Other Thoughts: would love to play there it again!

Potential

1    9/26/2015   9/26/2015
Review By: Rikolas
Pros: Technical holes. Great for practicing controlled accurate shots.
Cons: Needs some care/upgrading.

No course map at the start.

Tee pads are irregular, and sometimes hard to spot.

Baskets are not the standard style you will find at most courses. They were designed locally and somewhat difficult to putt at since none of the baskets are the same. Most have four outer bars sourounding where chains normally making it almost like a selfguarded basket every 90 degrees and if it's on the side you're putting, a strsight putt Is out of the question.
Some baskets have chains as a wall not allowing a disc to enter. Some have no chains to hit at all and just hope you hit a bar at the right angle to cause your disc to fall in the basket.
Baskets are also hard to distinguish from one another on a few holes. They need clear indicators, maybe make shift "lolly pops" on top with the numbers.

Signage is also a major issue I had. Maybe only half of the holes have signs, and the ones that they do have are in poor condition.
To help find the next tee pads, they did have arrows, but these arrows were spray painted on the trees making it look trashy. Simple brightly painted wooden arrow signs saying next tee would be a good improvement.

Trash. I don't believe any of the holes had a trashcan at the pad. This might be the cause of some of the trash I saw around the course since people might be too lazy just to pack it out. Trash cans at every 3rd hole maybe? It is a short course, but having a place to put your cans/trash without holding until the end of play would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I talked to some local players at the course, and it seemed they got a little upset when I compared it to other courses I've played. One said that the baskets will never change since a local made them. And some almost seemed like even the suggestion of improvements to the course was an insult. The course seemed decently rated as a 3.9 on my udisc app, but I don't believe it comes anywhere near a 4. Maybe in the future if it receive some tlc. The rating almost seemed baiest by the locals boosting it with 5s just for the sake of it being their course.

Needs some TLC

1    8/10/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: FrankWilliams
Pros: Lots of trees and ferns to play around.

The 'bog -1' penalty zones posted on some of the tee signs.

Friendly locals, without which the course would have taken twice as long to play. Thank you!
Cons: Some baskets have (One of the locals told me this was called 'jail') a wall of chains that prevents a disc from getting into the basket from one side or the other.

About half of the tee signs were missing. Some of them you could see the post where they were that had been vandalized.

The only signs from the basket to the next tee were spray-painted on trees, which made the place look trashy.

No public bathrooms.

No map at the beginning to take a picture of.
Other Thoughts: I left wondering how to remove spray-paint from trees.

I was told (by a local) that the custom baskets were designed by a local dentist. That actually explained a lot.

Baskets from outer space!

1    6/17/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: A fun very wooded course. Large trees and a few swampy areas add to the challenge. First couple of times you/I might need a guide. Locals love to play with you to show their course off. And of course the baskets! Makes course management a must...what side do I want my disc to be on when I'm putting? Not counting the weird baskets the course plays fairly consistent...good technical drive-correct approach-putt=par! Enjoy it even when your grumbling about the baskets :)
Cons: Parking is a problem. Just a few spaces on the street at the start of the course. Sign recommends you park downtown (a few blocks away). Summer play when the school is out parking will be better. No bathrooms, signs to the next hole are hit and miss. AND the baskets are from hell. Locals told me on short putts that are blocked by the chain you slam it into the chain and maybe just maybe it will stay.
Other Thoughts: During school a couple of holes run along side the schools playground. Signs say not to play during school hours, locals say the kids are okay and if by accident you throw over the fence they usually will retrieve your disc. Best advice...don't throw over the fence! It's on the left side when facing the basket.
Because the baskets are so weird I think its fun and a great place to bring a group for some weird action.

Short course

1    9/2/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: ferret_1986
Pros: Good mix of terrain and well laid out.
Cons: The holes are way to short, you can have a bad first throw and be using your putter on the second. The targets are stupid. I understand they are to make the holes more difficult but that only seemed to be the case for me on one hole.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play a short course in the woods this course is for you.

Ver Technical

1    7/26/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: navyjay007
Pros: Lots of space and a couple of holes really let you get distance. Lots of local players that seem to be willing to help. They guided me and my wife a few times and we got through the course and had a good time.
Cons: Some of the holes are hard to find the baskets for due to vandalism of the hole map. You can get turned around easy if you are not sure where you are going.
Other Thoughts: The course could use a little more upkeep and replaceing or fixing the shot maps would be a big help. Also repainting the baskets bottom blue or white would help so you know that you are playing the right line. There are two to choose from. (Blue or White)

1    12/8/2012   12/8/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Variety is the spice of life! Uphill; downhill; over the river, and through the woods. There are holes for everybody!

Egg baskets - I like them (and hated them at times) because they are different and add something that made this course unique!

The Swamp - not so much a swamp; more of a seasonal wetland, but it creeped it's way through the course, ready to rear it's ugly head at any minute. I had to go fishing a couple of times, but it's not so deep or unforgiving that you can't retrieve an errant disc without too much trouble.

Tee signs - great signs overall, though a few have been vandalized. With so many trees and elevation difference, the signs at each tee made it much easier to find the basket!
Cons: Mixed tee boxes - some where concrete pavers (thumbs up) and some were gravel (thumbs down).

No course map, here or onsite.

Painted trees - though they helped immensely to help me find the next tee box, I didn't care for the spray paint on the trees. I understand that it is a necessary evil, but still made the course look a little trashier.

Some baskets were close to each other, and I had to walk up to them to determine which one I was shoot at.
Other Thoughts: I had a really good time! There were plenty of people on the course, and everyone was friendly and courteous. One gentleman offered to play with me to show me around ( I declined, but it was a very nice offer), another group let me play through, all in all, the locals were friendly and helpful!

The course is short, but very technical (which works great for me as I am a newer player, and haven't developed a strong arm yet). I played the whole course with just two discs - a Buzzz, and a Warlock, and the only problems I had were of my own making.

What it lacks in distance, it more than makes up for in the fun department! I plan to make this a regular stop on my way home from work, or when spending some time at the lake nearby

< Prev 1 2 3 4