Sarasota, FL
Lakeview Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #2 (Taken 9/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
They call this course the Disc-eater

1    11/1/2019   11/1/2019
Review By: Skylab
Pros: Beautiful course with interesting layout. Some of the hardest shots south of Tampa can be found at this course. They have good lay out with three different levels of tees for most holes.

This is a great course for intermediate to advanced. Beginners will want to stick to the redline tees.

There is a sidequest at this course to find Odell. He is a kindly man who collects losts discs and sells them for cheap. You will also want to pick up one of his patented "Odell sticks" to recover any discs that land in the water.
Cons: An alligator almost ate me but my dog, Carebear, scared it away. Also, bring extra discs to throw at alligators if they come for you.

So many water hazards that you are a damn fool if you don't bring an Odell stick or something to pick up discs from the water.

Beware the judgmental yuppies that frequent the nearby dog park!
Other Thoughts: They say that if you find a lost disc during sunset at this course that you will be blessed with many birdies in the coming year.

Thanks to everyone who found this review helpful. Others move along.

Nice, tight course with challenges

1    7/19/2019   7/20/2019
Review By: mrtoddw
Pros: This course is very much, "Old Florida" and has that wild feel to it. There are quite a few water hazards that make playing interesting for seasoned players. Not insanely difficult, it's an easy-going course to play on.
Cons: Some of the signage could be improved. The course is prone to flooding which can make many of the holes unplayable for days at a time.
Other Thoughts: It's a really great course that's tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. Very nice course for casual play. Highly recommended!

Leave your favorite discs at home!

1    7/6/2019   7/6/2019
Review By: DiscinOhio
This review was updated on 7/9/2019
Pros: Lakeview Park is one of three public courses in Sarasota, and was the last one I played on my trip to the area. It's completely shaded under a canopy of mature trees, making it the perfect place for a mid-morning summer round.

+ Two sets of concrete/brick tees on every hole that are clearly marked with color coordinated spray paint. A few holes also have gold tees in addition to the red and blue tees.

+ Every basket has an orange marking on the basket., directing you to the next tee. Additional signage is also present in some higher confusion areas, making navigation pretty simple.

+ While this is extremely short for an 18 hole course (under 5000') there is an abundance of fun shots that take full advantage of the water on the property.

+ Nice kiosk area with a practice basket, restroom, and map.
Cons: - Producing 18 holes out of this property is a stretch. Many holes play very close to each other, as I found myself on other fairways despite throwing decent shots. If there's other groups on the course, I could see it becoming a safety hazard.

- Like mentioned, this course really shouldn't be 18 holes. In addition to the tight squeeze, many holes are similar in distance (under 300'). All par 3's and no real chance to air it out.

- I like the use of water, but it is a little excessive. 77.7% of holes (yep I used a calculator) feature water shots. The water is very murky, making disc retrieval nearly impossible.

- Multiple pin positions without an indicator of what position they're in is always a negative in my book. Better yet, find the best pin position and stick with it.
Other Thoughts: So, my round was cut short and I didn't get to finish 17 and 18 after I was swarmed by angry bees behind the 17th basket. I usually write my reviews right after the round, but after 6 different stings and a few Benadryl, I wasn't able to write my review until 12 hours afterwards.

Overall, Lakeview has its moments but an overly compact layout taints the experience. Leave your most prized discs in the garage, because this place eats them alive!

Lakeview Park Features Lots Of Water And Gator Warning Signs!

1    1/16/2018   1/16/2018
Pros: Lakeview Park is a medium sized park with a nice smattering of trees and water seemingly everywhere. There is a canal running through the entire park and all sorts of ponds, swamps, bayous and bays. They seem to come into play on every hole but in actuality, it's probably about 12 of the 18 that are affected. The degree of affective depends on which sets of tees you happen to be playing. If you're throwing from the yellow (championship) tees, the water hazard would be greater. From the blue (longs) it's definitely there. Because I brought my son-in-law, we stuck to the red (short) tees. Most of the water carries on reds are pretty easily made by me, a weeny armed rec player. I did, however, restrict my son-in-law from playing # 8, # 18 and one other, I think. He was throwing my discs and I didn't want to splash down in these gator infested waters.

Lakeview has a small kiosk at the beginning. The pads are patio block and are clearly marked blue or red. They're very adequate. The baskets are Mach II's. Each basket had a small next arrow hanging below. The signs were nice and informative giving the distance for each of the three pads as well as for the long and short positions.

Because of all the water hazards here, I would think Lakeview plays at close to an advanced level from the longest golds. It's a total recreational level course from the short reds but with a certain pucker factor involved.

I think I like # 13 as a signature hole maybe just for it's cool raised basket location. The hole was probably a fairly mundane hole but the raised basket was set cleverly into some trees and it was just a few feet from the canal.
Cons: Missing signs on 12 and 16.

A pretty good chance you'll splash down a disc sometime during your round.

Alligator warning signs + lots of water = trouble.

Not the prettiest park. Felt kinda rundown.
Other Thoughts: Because I'm on vacation and packing light, I wasn't able to bring a lot of backup discs which makes me play very cautious around any water. So even playing ultra conservatively, I still enjoyed my round here at Lakeview. But I don't think I would care to call this my home course. That would be putting too much pressure on me every time here.

Lots of water since all the rains.

1    6/17/2017   6/17/2017
Review By: jeff@sabotin.com
Pros: Really liked the course. Tee pads were fairly well marked. The trees and water obstacles were really great. Never been to a course with so much water everywhere. It seems that there is water on every hole. There are bathrooms, which is really great. Most of the holes are challengIng with lots of obstructions, but the holes are short. I played the red tees because it was my first time and didn't know course.
Cons: Hole 12 was a little hard to find. Almost every hole is short so it doesn't give you much way in terms of really chucking done the course. There are walkers and people walking their dogs, which is kind of a irritating.

Fun course with a lot of birds.

1    5/27/2017   5/27/2017
Review By: buster
Pros: Very aesthetically pleasing.
Lush canopies make for good shade.
Clean tee pads.
Fun and technical
Cons: Flow doesn't have continuity through out.
Was left a few times looking for the next tee-pad.
11 and 10 are out of place on the course map.
Other Thoughts: Very fun course. I wanted a course that I could take just a couple of discs and I found it with this course. Wonderful windmill early on and I got a sense that I was walking though a nature trail. Loved it!!

North Water Tower's Twin

2-4    1/14/2017   3/2/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.161 Rating) A fairly short and technical course with graceful beauty
- CHARACTER - What stands out most at Lakeview is all the little add ons and disc golf comfort items. It starts off after arriving and walking up to a great warm-up area with a community board, course map, practice basket and two good size picnic tables. As you begin to play you'll notice the good hole signage and shading at all the tees. Most of the holes have some sort of seating and there are bag holders as well. I will note however that the baskets are starting to show their age, but they will still have a few more years left in them.
- MULTI TEE AND PIN PLACEMENTS - I'm a big fan of optional tees for skill level, and the rotation of basket locations. Most holes have two tees and a few have even introduced gold tees for a greater challenge. Most holes have two or three basket sleeves and if I recall correctly a few have four of them.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The Beauty at Lakeview definitely adds to the experience. Most notably is the apparently man-made creek that runs through the course. The creek makes both graceful and intimidating appearances. I also found the vegetation and wildlife here to vibrant and alive.
- CHILL AREAS - A bunch of secluded areas to hop on a bench and relax. Tee (17) was a standout stoppage spot. The tee sits at the end of a peninsula and there's a bunch of benches overlooking the water. Truly one of the best pit stop locations I have had the pleasure to experience.
- ACEABILITY - A bunch of fun ace run opportunities. A string of holes (8 thru 10) specifically stand out if the pin placement is right. There are more opportunities littered about as well if you're a very precise thrower.
- QUICK PLAY - With Lakeview being such a tight layout, it can play really quick when its free of other groups. I personally completed a solo round here in under an hour. Figure a group of four should be able to knock out a round in two hours. I'll also note that the park is clear of walking paths. Although I ran into a few non disc golf persons meandering around during my rounds here, its limited and should only minimally impact a round.
- LOCATION - A 5 minute drive from I75 and the course is in a nice neighborhood.
- MAINTENANCE - The grounds appear to be constantly mowed, trimmed and manicured. I don't recall much trash on either of my visits.
Cons: A solid course with only a few minor concessions.
- UNIQUENESS - The holes themselves in terms variety are a bit below average as it kind of feels a little bit the same hole to hole. Baskets will pocket at a variety of angles but it's generally always a technical wooded shot. All the holes are par 3's. None of the holes are bomb it opportunities. There are no true open holes. there are no dogleg holes or any hole that bends beyond 10 degrees other than (16). There is however water to consider.
- WATER - It is literally everywhere, so be sure to bring yourself discs that you wouldn't mind losing. The water is generally shallow to retrieve your disc but for other reasons, you may not want to go in and retrieve it. See con below.
- GATORS - When a course posts signs all over the place that this is gator habitat, you may want to reconsider going into the water. I have personally not seen gators in either of my two rounds here but I have friends that have seen them, and they said they were good sized.
- ELEVATION - Really none to speak of. I know that this is typically for Florida, but this course is flat for even Florida standards. no more than 10' elevation change throughout the entire course layout.
- PARKING - Normally not a concern for most people but the parking lot is in need of repair as it's pitted everywhere. If you have a low riding car, id consider parking elsewhere.
- BIGINNER FRIENDLY - This really is not a beginners course, despite the short length. The course requires the skills of an accurate shot possessed by seasoned players. Recreational players should however be able to enjoy the shorter red tees.
- SPACING - Well below average, Several of the fairways feel partially shared. Discs will constantly end in other fairways. Black aces probably happen from time to time. In addition, if the course were full of players, you would be wise to keep your head up and aware of other groups teeing off.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a really fun course if you don't mind the idea of losing a disc or two. Lakeview scores out almost identical to nearby North Water Tower in my rating system. The courses in my opinion, are very much alike. North Water Tower is just a bit more challenging than Lakeview, but Lakeview has a bit more character. Although I've scored Water Tower a touch higher, it's really a toss up to personnel preference on which is better. So try them both and see for yourself.

1    3/8/2015   3/11/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: The word that comes to mind is charming. This is a really fun course on footprint that seems too small for the course but the compact nature actually adds to the atmosphere. There is a ton of water here as a series of small ponds breaks up most of the course and most holes involve some small elevation changes, a short carry and a scattering of old-growth trees. The holes are short and while the course, especially from the short tees, is very much a beginner course, it will be fun for experienced players. I grabbed a floater and a putter and left the rest of my bag in the car. It took me less than thirty minutes to play the course from the shorts while getting a look at each of the long tees. When you consider how close the park is to the highway, Lakeview is really nice travel stop for any level of player.
I don't think any other course that I have played benefitted so much by the use of a floater. The water is brackish at points so pulling one up from the bottom may be a hassle but the ponds are rarely wide enough so that retrieving one from the surface will be more than a minor inconvenience. The carries are short but there is enough water around so that there is often danger of rollaway leading to another hole's water hazard.
At the same time, the far tees do introduce some longer carries, and a much greater degree of difficulty to many holes. Even if the carry is the same size, the far tees will put the player much further back from the lake's edge or with a gap before the water, or with a ridge in-between. A few of the holes even have a gold tee so there is really a lot to occupy the player here.
I don't know if I want to mention specific holes as the appeal of the course has more to do with the consistent and unique vibe than any specific throws. I will say that each shot really is different and at no point does the course feel repetitive.
Basically just a lot of short throws over water and up small embankments to well-placed baskets, less than two miles from the highway.
Cons: There are limitations of course. The small footprint means that discs are constantly coming in from different directions. There shouldn't be much non-disc traffic around and it's designed as well as I can imagine but errant shots are still going to whiz by other tees, baskets and fairways. Players should be aware at all times. But there aren't really pedestrians, unless one throws over the fence into the dog park. (only a possibility on one hole)
Not a ton of challenge. Not much in the way of shaping shots. Not much in terms of skills needed. Not a lot of distance. None of that is what the course is really aiming for but just be prepared that you won't find any of that.
Navigation is mostly logical with arrows on the baskets pointing the way, but it becomes confusing in the 10-12 area and wouldn't you know it, one of them is (probably temporarily) missing an arrow. Not a big deal. However, it would be nice to have a system to indicate which location the basket is in. There are some blind shots and also some places where other baskets and tees are in the line of sight from the tee. With three locations on every hole, I think a tee sign magnet would make play better here.

Scenic with drawbacks

1    3/3/2015   3/5/2015
Review By: gabereif
Pros: -The course was easy to find for me. Parking was easy.
-There was hardly anyone else playing when I was there (2PM midweek)
-Incredible use of a small area.
-Interesting holes that make the most of natural obstacles (trees and water). I have never played a course with so many unique bodies of water. The scenery was something special and sets this course apart from others. And not only is it beautiful, but the scenery ties directly into the disc golf experience, as many shots require you to cross water or throw under or around beautiful trees.
-Beautiful waterways throughout the course add challenge to most holes
-Am tees for every hole
-Tee pads are concrete and good
-Baskets are in fine shape
Cons: -Confusing layout. I had trouble finding the next hole on several occasions. I ended up starting at hole 6, skipping a few holes in the middle (I was in a rush), and finishing at hole 5. The good news is that the park is so small, that there's always a basket in sight, so you don't have to spend time trying to find a hole to play next... it's just a matter of finding the RIGHT hole to play next.
-If your shot is a few feet off your line, you risk ending up in the water. I had two good shots that landed in the water, even though they both had enough power on them.
-Fire ants. Ugh. I got bit up on two holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a really cool course to check out given all the cool shots and beautiful scenery. But I don't know if I'd like it as a home course since you're going to lose discs when you play here, even if you're a half-decent player who is familiar with the course. And the fire ants are not fun. That said, the beauty is stunning and it makes for a great round.

Very Unique

1    11/27/2014   11/27/2014
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: This is not a course for the big arm, or for the person looking for 400 foot holes. This course is the for folks looking for something very different. It's built on a 50's version of Cypress Gardens. Has a cool, unique flow through the park and a winding creek that can eat discs if you're not careful. This course is all about placement, not distance. I played the entire course in about an hour using an Eagle, Buzz and putter

To be honest ,this course is really on a 3, but is so cool, and unique that I awarded it a 3.5
Cons: Being on a very small foot print, a lot of holes run almost side-by-side. So you have to make sure the fairway is clear, but aware of other golfers as you might be throwing shots over their head

Also, there's multiple baskets in the background of every tee, so make sure you're throwing to the correct one.
Other Thoughts: If you see an older gentleman performing course maintenance, his name is Odell Phillips (I think that's his last name). Please thank him for all his efforts as he will award you with great stories of the courses history.

< Prev 1 2 3 4