Des Moines, IA
Ewing Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #6 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Yin Yang course, with legit par 4's

1    5/5/2017   6/25/2017
Review By: RussMB
Pros: (I've only played the Long tees here, so I cannot comment on the Short Tee's, except through observing)
-Beautiful course, that has a yin yang type of layout! Front 9 is technical and wooded, back 9 is open.

-Long and Short Tees. Very nice benches and it appeared that new signs have been installed!

-Course was clean and well maintained.

-Beginner Friendly and challenging to the advanced player

-Throwing on #10 alone is a treat! Spectacular!

-You can use a variety of discs here. On the front 9 you'll definitely want the control of fairway drivers for more accurate lines through the trees. On the back 9 you'll have more open lines to throw down, but you'll still have a few long distance shots that will require you to place a second shot.

-From the long tees, there were legit par 4s (I didn't play the shorts, so I can't say) There are holes where you will have to make two good throw to get in position for an approach

-Figure 8's back to the the parking lot. Allowing for Starts on the Front or Back 9.
Cons: (Some of these issues may be "In transition", to be addressed in the future. Especially if they are upgrading.)

-Some of the tees appear to have been relocated. #2 comes to mind off the top of my head. I didn't see anything that notated this directing me or the group in front of me, to the new tee location. I seen the new teepad location as I passed it by on the proceeding holes. I would have used a completely different line.

-Extremely busy and popular Disc Golf course and park! Lots of pedestrian (Disc Golfers and Non-Disc Golfers) traffic and I got caught behind a bottle neck of 2 groups. I really ran into a lot of Non-DG pedestrian traffic on the back 9.

-This may be an extension of the previous con, but look at a different side of the same con. You have a course, that requires a lot of long drives and it blends with the above pedestrian traffic. I seen a lot of interactions with people that won't be expecting flying objects to come whizzing by in their general direction. Specifically in the Botanical side of the park. Its one thing to have a course in a unused or under used part of a park, but when it plays through high traffic area, I look at that as playing through a playground. Adding signs to "Watch Out For Flying Discs" would go a long way.

-Navigation, This may be a first timer issue. (There wasn't a map at the start, but it may be in the works) Had I not had two big groups in front of me, It may have been more tumultuous to navigate. However, I just used the map available here on DGCR.

-Even with the groups, I had to walk up the fairways to find the basket. Sometimes even throwing, hoping the basket was in that general vicinity. After having climbed multiple hills to find a basket, I was exhausted.
Other Thoughts: Ewing is a beautiful park, and I really had a great time here! It's definitely one of the many "Must Play" courses in the Des Moines Area. I had a blast playing here! I only wish I would have picked a better, less busier, time of day. That way I wouldn't have felt rushed, while dealing with "First time issues" (Where's the basket, etc) You will be throwing through some tight fairways and working specific lines on the front 9. The trees are scattered out just right, that you will want to consider your line before you throw. Unplanned shots may result in taco'd discs. The back 9 will really let you let loose with your arm, for all you big D drivers. You will still want to consider your shots. For some require a second shot placement.

It's a popular course, and rightfully so! I wanted to give this a four star course, but I just felt there were certain issues that really affect a players round here. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't play here, by all means, this is a course to hit! It was challenging, well laid out, and fun to play! Just keep a watchful eye when you are on the back 9. Also, if you are doing a Road Trip, (I'd recommend hitting this course early in the day, as well as Grandview. I had to skip Grandview because every hole had a group and there was a line waiting to start) I committed to playing the long tees here, my problem was that I had played Pickard Park longs first, so my energy was spent by the time I got here. Thankfully, there were benches spread out here.

Excellent course, 2 personalities

1    6/18/2017   6/19/2017
Review By: mgcoleman
Pros: + Super clear signs
+ Good tee pads
+ Front 9 has this very dense, wooded feel to it and the back 9 is more expansive. Sort of feels like two courses, but not in a bad way - just like a change in personality halfway through.
+ Several long holes, several runnable holes.
+ Elevation used well.
Cons: - Baskets often tucked away or far enough away that not visible in the least from the tees - makes positioning of drives a bit of a gamble if playing the course the first time (#5 would be a prime example).
- A couple holes had no clear lines or windows - somewhat of a throw and pray feel to them.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, one I will definitely play again if find myself within 30-45 minutes of it.

poor management driving this course down

5+    6/13/2017   6/13/2017
Review By: MarkDSM
Pros: if you are local and know the course pretty well it's a good time.
Portapotty in parking lot.
It's in a super cool Arboretum if you like trees.
Got to love the massive teepads.
Cons: My cons are all new to the last two years. Pretty much questionable local management. I really hope things get sorted out and this again could be a four-star course.
Super travel / newbie unfriendly.
No map that includes significant changes to the first three holes and 17 and 18. Not onsite, not online.
Many tee signs missing.
Unused pads remain in place, but with all the missing signs it's hard to tell if they are out of use or not.
Newer style signs of poor laminated quality and often wrong.
No indication of pin positions. (many baskets to move and are blind)
Poor basket rotation using questionable choices. (Too many dud pin positions In a setup dulls rounds)
No guidance signage.
No running water.
Other Thoughts: This park complex has been getting a facelift from the city over the last three years. Some changes to course were necessitated on the due to some trail redesign and some foliage aging out. Some new pads and basket positions got put in, but local disc golf community has utterly failed to do the finishing work.
I'm hesitant to recommend this course anymore.
I really hope that I will be able to positively update this review in the future.

Not what i expected

5+    4/14/2017   4/15/2017
Review By: troyrugg
Pros: Multiple tees
Elevation
Cons: Terrible signage/ lack of pin callouts
Pretty sure basket on 2 is missing
Lack of traah cans/
Other Thoughts: This really plays as 2 different courses to me, the front and the back. As mentioned several other times here. In my oponion the front is lacking in any defined fairways , seem more like baskets in some sparely wooded area, no real developement or feel of being on a course there, and the back is fairly wide open. With a few gaurdian trees at some of the baskets. Having played pickard the day before i was expecting something close as ratings on here are similar. Just wasnt close in my opinion. This seems like an average 18 holes at best, dont get all the love, but im not local, and spent as much time scouting as playing, ao that may factor in, but all in all not a standout imo.

1    9/29/2016   10/1/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: 1) Like a lot of Des Moines courses, it is long. I like throwing drivers off the tee and I did so on every hole except one. Deuces are hard to come by and feel earned.
2) Two sets of tees, so the course can be played by players with wildly varying levels of skill.
3) The course seldom takes away your best shot. There are, of course, holes that go left to right and holes that go right to left, but the turns weren't so extreme to force me away from my backhand.
4) clean and well-maintained (really important in Iowa!)
5) It is an unusually long and challenging course to be right smack in the middle of the city.

I'm guessing that if I lived in Des Moines, this would be the main course that I would play; it is conveniently located,it gives the arm a workout, and you don't have to worry about losing discs.
Cons: 1)Lack of a map: Each tee sign shows the location of the next tee, but forget to look and you will often times have a hard time figuring out which direction to go. While navigation isn't bad, there are a couple places where it is not intuitive.
2)Inaccurate tee signs: this drove me nuts. I'm guessing some alternate pin placements were put in after the signs were installed, but it makes things exceptionally confusing on blind holes. Several times I thought I had made a great shot only to find that the basket was either in the other direction or further away than the sign indicated. A course map would fix all of this.
3)No memorable holes. Lots of decent ones, but none that I feel the overwhelming urge to play again. The front nine in particular was not very distinctive.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth playing, but 4 stars is a bit much in my opinion. It felt like a typical city course with a little extra length and difficulty. I feel that it is the weakest of the 4-star rated DSM area courses (with Pickard clearly the best)

And I can't stress this enough: it would be exceptionally helpful to put in a course map with accurate distances and pin placements!

Great Course

1    5/27/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: seadog19
Pros: Challenging shots.
First 9 holes are through thin, wooded areas that are really fun to play.
Course has both open and wooded holes for any type of player.
Groomed well
Cons: Not the courses fault, but the mosquitoes are terrible!
Some holes were muddy which was a little annoying, but was expected because of lots of rain
Other Thoughts: I will continue to play this course for years to come! Very fun course and takes long enough to play where you can really enjoy the sport.

Different Not Always Better?!?!?

5+    10/20/2015   10/21/2015
Review By: LoewDog
Pros: Good variety of shots in approach, distance, and elevation.
Cons: This used to be my favorite course in Des Moines, but I hate the changes to #2 and #3.

Pars need to be noted!

There needs to be something to direct you to the next pad...just played in Wisconsin and the course spray painted the chain to let you know which way to walk...that would help.

It would also be nice if there was a way to mark basket position on blind tee shot holes.

Crowded more times than not, but that's what you get at a decent course.
Other Thoughts: Still worth playing but could be SSSOOO much better with some simple changes. Looks like they are working on it, so maybe it will get to where it needs to be.

Fun variety

1    9/16/2012   10/31/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course has two different personalities for each loop of 9 holes. The front 9 plays through rolling elevation with mature trees and scattered brush. Many of the holes have some elevation, nothing drastic but enough to add some challenge and variety. You'll have to hit a variety of lines to score well on this part of the course, and there are enough trees and brush to punish errant shots.

The back 9 plays in a more open area with a little bigger elevation changes. Hole 10 is a fun empty your bag shot down a large hill, and a few other holes have enough elevation to really change how the hole plays. This part of the course is more about distance and shot placement, with less technical and much longer holes.

There is a lot of variety here, and that's enhanced by dual concrete tees each with their own signage. The long and short tees make a big difference on some of the holes, changing the line and sometimes adding an extra turn or pinch point. There are 3 pin positions per hole, all notated on the signs at both tees, adding to the variety of shots here.
Cons: With no marker on the signs for which pin positions are currently in use, there is some scouting and guessing necessary to know where to shoot. On the blind holes, even locals would have to check it out the first time through to know which placement the pin was in. There are a couple awkward transitions between holes, the worst one is from 17 to 18 with a really long walk that's not marked at all and 18's tee is tucked behind brush so it's not easy to spot from a distance.

The back 9 is pretty open for my tastes, it doesn't really force a lot of interesting line shaping. The big hill is cool on 10, but it seemed like more could have been done with that elevation on the back 9. A major road is in play on a couple holes, taking away from the seclusion of the course and adding a potential safety issue.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find the course a little long, but very approachable from the short tees. There is some rough but not enough to lose discs in and generally not of the frustrating sort. More experienced players will find some nice challenges along with some easy birdies, the longer open holes at the end are a fun chance to open up and rip some big drives.

Nice course, On a very nice day!

1    10/3/2012   10/4/2012
Review By: musclehed03
Pros: this course is pretty well thought out. I loved 10, u can let some discs really fly! good baskets and forgiving chains. decent technical holes in the front nine. pretty well maintained.
Cons: on one of the first few holes you have to be careful of overthrows near the basket as there is a major road about 20 feet behind it. you easily walk the length of another nice hole when trying to find hole 18 from hole 17. why not expand both and tighten that up?
Other Thoughts: This is a good course to play when you want variety in the DSM area. this and Grandview make for an excellent day of Frolfing!

1    8/5/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: tmattoon
Pros: There were tee signs that helped you find the basket and the next hole's tee pad. Large variety of shots. The front nine is heavily wooded with some really cool tunnel shots. Then the back nine is totally different and open and the last two holes were both 650+ feet. A lot of the holes used the trees really well and has very cool layouts like a tunnel across a street into a backboard of trees for the whole.
Cons: Not too many. We had trouble finding one or two of the wholes even with the tee signs because there were some many trees. The front nine could get really frustrating with all the trees.

< Prev 1 2 3 4