Sicklerville, NJ
New Brooklyn Park Share
Uploaded By: dscglfer40 Hole #15 (Taken 12/2013)

pleasantly surprised

2-4    2/9/2019   11/14/2018
Review By: DumfriesLizzie
This review was updated on 2/9/2019
Pros: As noted by other reviewers, there is the variety of holes between the front and back 9s. As a ball golfer first and a new disc golfer, I appreciate the open fairways of most of the holes. I still don't have aim down well. Wasn't going to lose a disc (I felt), although I put the driver in the cutting briar a few times along the creek holes.

As a ball golfer, learning that it used to be a par-3 ball golf course explains the open-course look on the back 9 and useful cart path (helped me find tees). I was really impressed with that, though the walking was tough for me. I'm recovering from foot surgeries, so next year, when I come again, walking shouldn't be an issue.

When available, I like the honeycomb tee pads.

I initially thought to only play the front 9 and go home but was so intrigued by the looks of the back 9, I had to try it.

I thought the hole signs were good. Did not see any next-tee signs. Would be good or even illustrate next-tee with an arrow on the hole sign maps.

Appreciated the suggested routing on those signs. Not always sure which sides of trees/bushes to go on or if both offered a path by just looking at what I saw from the tee.

Very-well maintained. And I have a preference (though can be dangerous) for courses in parks with other activities. Just for the greater opportunity for people to be afoot if you need their help.

I even appreciated the busy street and folks walking dogs or jogging on the path along the street. The place can easily be isolated.

I really liked the sand hole (no. 11), the big long no/ 14, the long no. 7, the Hyzer nos. 2 and 10, the straightforward nos. 1 and 3. My best hole played was no. 13. I nearly parred it. Pars and bogeys are good in my book.

I liked that the wooded fairways or bushes/clumps of trees in the fairway holes offered a challenge but were not discouraging. Surmountable.
Cons: Holes 15-18 were an absolute swamp on the day I played. I suppose nothing really can be done about that beyond playing on a dry day! All that casual water made for some interesting choices and a lot of layups.

The place can easily be isolated. Pick your time to go with what is most comfortable for you.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course. I shall certainly play it when again in Philly and/or Atlantic City or Cape May even. I had left Philly that morning (visiting friends) and was at TopGolf for some ball golf on a drizzly day. But wasn't done with sports, so with drying conditions -- and not willing to battle Philly traffic another time to go back in to play Sedgley Woods -- I found this course on this website on my smartphone and am glad I made the effort.

So you know: Hole 15's basket says PRACTICE now. I suspect the 15 basket was lost or stolen and the practice basket relocated to the hole 15 "green".

Great course

2-4    10/28/2017   10/28/2017
Review By: DiscGolfingSteve
Pros: Many short holes for putt practice and approach shots
Many long drive shots to practice driving
A couple good midrange drive holes
Signage is posted
Very well kept course
Baskets look almost new
Wide open with still having tree cover, awesome
Never crowded, don't know why though
First six holes off in there own sheltered area, very neat
Cons: Tee pads are nonexistent on most holes
One hole near a building, no chance of hitting though.
Other Thoughts: Add teepads and minor maintenance and five stars EASY.

Loooonnnggg holes

1    5/31/2017   9/22/2017
Review By: Redzo
Pros: Really nice course. Some extremely long holes to really test out your power throws. Very fun layout. Lots of sun.
Cons: Low lying area for a few holes results in a swampy marshland. Few boxes are natural and not the best. Layout could be posted better. Tons of potential.

It's Disc Golf

1    9/3/2017   9/3/2017
Review By: goalie95
Pros: Course has a nice variety of both short and long holes. The front 9 is a good beginner course, with the exception of 7, and the back 9 is a more advanced course given how far you need to be able to throw your disc. (Hole 14 is just over 1000 feet long). If it's a nice day and you like to walk then the space between holes, once you get to the back 9, is nice. If you are looking for a quick half round then the front 9 is perfect as they are all close together. The fairways are typically forgiving, but the trees in the fairways give you a slight challenge while playing which can be both a pro and con depending on the person.
Cons: While signs at the "tee box" are present, they are a bit confusing as some have multiple baskets shown and different distances shown as well, but there is only 1 of each on the course. The tee boxes themselves are a mix of hard ground and gravel which can be a bit worrisome if you're not careful. The course layout can be a bit confusing as some of the tee boxes are hidden like on holes 7 and 12. Even after reading the course layout some of the baskets are difficult to find(I still have no idea where the basket for hole 15 is). If you have a very strong right hook then some holes on the back 9 can be a challenge to not land in the road as you play with one to your right.
Other Thoughts: All and all playing this course should leave you satisfied as it is an 18 hole course and a nice park to play in. This course could use some work, but so do a lot of other courses. It's not the most exciting course, but also not the most boring. When playing for the first time you should expect to take extra time wandering looking for where the course layout if bringing you. As far as south jersey courses go, this one is just fine.
WARNING: Don't play after a rain storm as the back 9 tends to pool up. Found that out the hard way

Me likely

5+    5/24/2016   8/18/2016
Review By: iHitTree
Pros: This course has 2 personalities: beginner and pro. Holes 1-6 and 8-10 are shorter, more manageable holes, while holes 7 and 11-18 feature much bigger distance and more advanced design. There is a great mix of shots here overall. You will use plenty of discs. The par 4's here are great.
Cons: There is no elevation change here, but nothing can be done there. Some repetitive holes can get a touch bland. Holes 1, 4, and 10 are very similar, open straight shots. Holes 2 and 5 are very similar: slight hyzer shots of similar distance. Hole 8 is just funny....a 125 ft. straight shot.
Other Thoughts: Being only 30 minutes from Philly, I dig it and I still go occasionally. It's a neat course. I don't recommend it as a travel destination course, but worth playing if you're in the area with time on your hands.

nice beginner front 9

1    7/5/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: specsman
Pros: The front 9 is a great beginner course. I'm not very good but I managed to par half the holes. Nice baskets. Every hole has a map. Not a long course and holes are close together.
Cons: Lack of a concrete pads. Some might argue the short/easy holes are a "con" but I rather enjoyed them.
Other Thoughts: I've only played the front 9 but I'll be back for the back 9.

Take a photo of the course map at the parking lot entrance. It can help you find the next tee on the front 9 as some of their locations can be confusing. (holes close together).

The Brook

5+    4/5/2015   4/5/2015
Review By: MichaelWebster
Pros: New Brooklyn is a course with two personalities: the front 9 is a beginner course, and the back 9 is an advanced course. You could think of the Brook as two different 9 hole courses to test different skills. The entire course is relatively open, with thick rough that can be very punishing if you find yourself there. The front 9 can be a birdie-fest if you are playing well, but there are a few difficult shots found in holes # 3, 6, and 7. The back 9 requires 350-400 ft of distance to score well in addition to decisive strategy on the longer holes. # 11, 15, 16, and 18 are all challenging long holes that can rack up big scores if they are not played carefully. At New Brooklyn, about half of the holes are really well designed, and the other half feel like filler holes due to the simplicity of the land.
Cons: The land for the course is very boring. This leaves about half of the holes at New Brooklyn as unremarkable. The teepads are in various condition. I have helped install the concrete pavers on a few tees, but nevertheless I worry about the uneven footing. The course is a little righty-backhand friendly.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing New Brooklyn, especially when the wind is low. When the wind is up, it is a very tough course because of its open fields. BEWARE of water on the right side of holes 15-17, as you can't see it off the tees. I would like to see some alternate tees and pins in the future to expand on the options and improve shot variety.

A Decent Effort

1    10/26/2014   10/26/2014
Review By: RamsFan1
This review was updated on 11/3/2014
Pros: Recently installed 18 hole course located in a clean, well- maintained county park. Practice basket located by the parking lot. Nice, colored signs depicting par, distance and desired flight path at all tee areas. Navigation pretty easy. Complements the much more wooded Stafford Woods course 15-20 minutes away. Features an elevated basket on hole 14. Provides something for all skill levels and rec. players could play the front 9 loop only if desired. Porta-potties on site and course is close to various restaurants and convenience stores.
Cons: The front 9 plays in close quarters and features some potential trouble spots where holes run perilously close to one another. Tee pads a combination of pavers, dirt and carpet and are a work in progress. Not much elevation. Deceptive, hidden water bordering hole 17 to the right. Pedestrian traffic and other park activities a potential hazard on the front nine. No benches, bag poles or "next tee" signs which always add to the overall quality of a course.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my experience at New Brooklyn Park, but it's not nearly the quality of Stafford Woods or even South Vineland. It's an unusual venue in that it looks like two entirely separate courses built by entirely different work crews: Holes 1-9 are primarily short holes featuring numerous birdie opportunities and run very close together on one side of the park while holes 10-18 feature a much tougher, longer layout. While on its face, this would seem to provide balance, it instead makes the course appear disjointed and uneven.

I cannot stress enough how uneasy I was on the paver tee pads, which are a major red flag. Whereas a solid paver would be fine, these have holes in them where they come together and have "reconstructive knee surgery" written all over them if one were to stumble. Other options should be examined.

The efforts of the South Jersey guys should not go unrecognized for the tremendous inroads they've made at growing the sport in-state and the work they've done here. As such, a 2.75 venue easily gets bumped up to a 3. I have no doubt they'll continue to improve NBP.

My Home Course

2-4    10/11/2014   10/11/2014
Review By: mattlinardo
Pros: Mix of long and short holes, with some in open space and others lightly wooded. Well maintained grass as it is in a County park. Brand new Discatcher targets and multiple pin locations on several holes. Nice tee signs. Good parking and a playground for the little ones not quite ready for disc golf.
Cons: Incomplete...Tee pads are coming and the community is working hard to reduce the briars and brush from the course as they can. A little soggy after it rains with its close proximity to a creek/stream on the back 9.
Other Thoughts: Love that this course is close to home and my daughter and I can go out and play. She is only 7 and will benefit from the relative short holes on the front 9 and the big open space in the middle section as she is learning to throw and control her discs (as will I as I am just beginning to play as well). For those that say the course isn't interesting enough, I'm sure with some roped off OB, island greens, varied tee positions and mandatory lines this could be an interesting tournament style course.

Did Not Enjoy

1    5/30/2014   6/3/2014
Review By: rfury82
Pros: Not a far ride from where I am.
Cons: Bad layout. Thorn bushes were over grown. Poorly mapped out. Had trouble finding some of the baskets, and some of the holes were laid ride next to a busy road, to where it was possible to hit passing cars
Other Thoughts: Nothing about this course really excited me. I was ready to quit by the 5th hole, but played on just to see if it got better. One hole was placed next to a party pavilion to where if you had a bad throw you would hit some one, as well as another was placed next to the hockey rink, and if a game was going on you would be dodging balls and discs