Mount Vernon, TX
Trey Texas Ranch - Texas Twist Share
Uploaded By: geoloseth Hole #18 (Taken 3/2014)

Share URL:

Spacious, Serene, and Superb

1    6/21/2017   7/21/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Trey Texas Twist is another classic Houck course. For me that means I can play a competitive round against good players, which I'm not. The easiest way to summarize Houck' s skill in this regard is that the red tees, or amateur, total 6,674 feet for par 68 and the blue tees, or pro, are 9,049 for par 68. That 2,375' difference added to the easier location of the red tees makes this a fun place even if you're not advanced.

Your every shot and disc are challenged. From long open fairways, to water challenges, to tight wooded lines, to technical basket placement, to slight elevation...you need all you've got.

There are separate short and long tees for every hole except 12, which is a 222' par 3. One of the earlier reviewers asked whether there were separate tees since he forgot so there's the answer.

The signage is consistently great on every tee, long and short. And the concrete pads are nice, even though there is an occasional cow pie, but that can be brushed aside easily enough with a stick or something else handy.

The multiple bridges are nice that go back and forth over the river. When I saw this kind of care and cost that went into the course it made me believe an earlier review that said the owners invested about $270,000 in this course. And they occasionally get $10 from each of us. Wow, what a deal for us!

The grass was mowed. I called Trey, the owner, to schedule my round. I asked him about the note on this site complaining that the grass was too long. He said they'd been out mowing so it should be in good shape. It was.

The cows are friendly. We had to wait a little bit for about 20 cows to pass through the 17 fairway before we could make the turn in the dog-leg. But we were tired and didn't mind waiting. What a difference between waiting for people in a City park! We also saw some eagles around #11.

The "twist" in the name is because you are twisting around water a lot on this course. If you look at the course map it's easy to see your first twist on 3 around a pond, unless you've got a big enough arm and are brave enough to skip the twist, or dog-leg, and go over the water. Then you work your way over to 7, where the twists start in earnest. You'll have about 8 crossings, or twists, of the river before you finish.
Cons: It's a LONG course. But if you that going into it and have the right expectation then this is not a problem. If you go for longs, and you're not up to the challenge, then be prepared for a beat down.

There's no arrows in the baskets pointing to the next hole. Although most of the time this was not a problem since we had a map and it's fairly intuitive, I still wish such a simple, inexpensive, and helpful item were standard.

There's not multiple pin placements, but that's not a problem for me.
Other Thoughts: We played Trey Deuce first, which is near the saloon. The 2 ranch dogs followed us the entire round on Deuce. The friend I was with stepped on one of the dog's foot after it jumped in front of him on a drive and hurt the friendly hound. We felt bad about that. We also felt more than bad each time they fetched our discs and we didn't know exactly where our lie was. So after we left the saloon to play Trey Twist we were careful that they didn't see us. We came back the next morning to play Deuce again and snuck around the back side of the saloon to start on #3. We finished 1 and 2 at the end.

You really need 2 or 3 days if you're coming this way to get the full experience of Trey and Selah. Dave over at Selah told us he's got Selah up for sale. So if this trip is on your wish list don't wait or it may go the way of The Circle R in Wimberley, TX that was a great Houck course but got sold and is now labelled, "Extinct."

Long, brutal and mentally/physically draining course

1    6/4/2017   6/4/2017
Review By: brownj702@gmail.com
Pros: Long and challenging will test your mental game!
Cons: Some redundancy here. Too many 600' holes played thru the woods with minimal room for error. Hard to find discs in the wooded holes and really tough to get to some lies with the steep creeks. The open holes are long and the grass is extremely high making it hard and time consuming to find your discs. Good tough course but it could use some modification to add more variety and easier access to holes.

Five-star course and experience

1    1/15/2017   1/17/2017
Review By: GreenBayBuzzz
Pros: -Baskets, tee-signs, teepads, and bridges are all great quality and in good condition.
Great distance variation: 950 ft to 220 ft holes
-The course progresses through slightly wooded pastures, to moderately wooded and heavily wooded landscapes. There are always enough trees, however, to make the holes challenging and never too many trees to make the fairways dinky.
-Excluding hole 4, the par threes at Texas Twist are just as their name implies: tight technical shots riddled with winding OB creeks. This is typical of Houck designs, which avoid long open par threes. Its generally better for score variation to offer long open throws on par fours and fives. Texas Twist is a shinning example of this principal.
-Houck is renowned for his redoubtable par fours and hasn't missed a beat at Texas Twist. Holes 3, 14, and 18 all offer multiple lines and ample landing zones, if you miss them though, you are likely headed for a water hazard.
-The par fives were even more impressive. Hole 6 is a crushers' dream. Lined by a couple of mature trees and slightly downhill, this hole lets you air one out for the gallery and possibly capture an elusive eagle. Hole 10 is the most well designed par five I have ever played. The hole culminates a menacing tunnel, dogleg, and forced right turning shot with risk-reward OB to produce a hole that tests multiple faucets of the game. Hole 17 gives the big arms another chance to air one out and tempts them to throw over a 350 ft stretch of OB for a shot at Eagle. Most will come short of this treacherous green, leading to far more circles than 3s on the scorecard.
-THE GREENS AT THIS COURSE ARE FAIR! I type the previous sentence in caps because unfair greens would have to be my top complaint for courses in Texas. After playing Windwood Presbyterian, Texas Army Course, Morris park in Lufkin, and even Selah Ranch, I was at my whits end with unfair greens. I am not referring to OB lines, but thorn bushes and shrubby bushes within the 10 meter circle. I cannot say how many times I threw approaches to within 20 ft only to find I had no putt. At Texas Twist, a few greens back in the woods still need some trimming, but I talked to the owners and they said cleaning the greens is their top priority for the next months.
-The atmosphere was completely unique and aesthetic. A Wisconsin Suburban boy, I am accustomed to playing courses in multi-use city parks. Texas Twist is also multi-use, but the patrons here are cows, horses, and goats as opposed to the dog-walkers I'm used to. The saloon, livestock, remoteness, hospitably of the owners, and endless expanse of cow pies projected a homey-western experience I will not forget.
Cons: -The cow pies and horse dung become a nuisance after awhile. In some cases, these ungulates have dropped their nitrogenous wastes right on the teepad. The poop hampered my run up on two holes.
-Some of the baskets might be too close to water-harzards. I hit the cage of hole three's basket only to watch my shot roll away to the water. Thankfully, my cherished buzz was saved by, you guessed it, a cow pie! -A few of the technical par threes have baskets within 15 ft of the creek's edge. If the OB lines is the creek's edge, some of the greens are a little "chancy."
-Record flooding over the past two years has caused considerable erosion. Tons of sand have been deposited around the teepad of 16 and the creek areas were a mucky mess. I am not taking any points off for the previous con because the erosion likely lead to the tenuousness of the greens. Regardless, the course is in desperate need of erosion prevention barricades or grasses as traffic will only exacerbate the problem.
-Benches throughout the course would have been nice.
Other Thoughts: Based solely on design my pecking order for all the courses that I played in Texas this trip would be the following:
1. Texas Twist
2. Selah Lakeside
3. Northside Christian Church DGC in Houston
4. Texas Army
5. Milby
6. Windwood Presbyterian
7. Morris Park in Lufkin

Texas Twist and Selah Lakeside are half a star better than all the other courses, but if I factor in the price and the experience Texas Twist was definitely better than Selah. Between courses 3-7 it's really close. I wouldn't rate Morris lower than a 3.5 and Northside Christian Church higher than a 4. Either way, if you are making a trip to Houston, there is plenty of great disc golf. The "average" course in Texas is really good compared to the other states I have played in.

The hospitality Diane showed us was incredible. My family was trying to get in a quick round before the Packer-Cowboy playoff game started. Diane was nice enough to let us watch the game at the saloon. We had a ball eating snacks, talking, and cheering for our respective teams. If you ever find yourself in the area, you must make a stop at Texas Twist!

Best DG experience ever

1    3/22/2016   3/30/2016
Review By: rohrean
Pros: If you don't just want to play disc golf but instead want a true disc golf experience, this is the place to do it. I actually enjoyed this course and trey deuce better than Selah. Granted, it was 20 degrees colder the day I played Selah, I may be a slight bit bias because of that. Either way, the hospitality here was better than I have every experienced before. The owners truly want to see this area become a hot bed for great disc golf courses, two of which they have. Course info is better described by the reviewers before me but you can expect to use every type of shot that you have in your bag. Course ranges from long open bombs to very technical but fair woods golf. The land scape is absolutely beautiful with winding creaks, mature trees, rolling hills, bridges and ponds.
Cons: This is a plus for me but some may see it as a negative. This area is very remote, you need to plan on walking. Think of it as walking in open range cattle ranch but through woods, creaks and rolling hills. That is what it is, just enjoy the experience.
Other Thoughts: Like I said before, this isn't just golfing but a full experience. Everyone needs to experience this type of golf with owners who truly want to grow the sport.

1    6/24/2015   8/6/2015
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: I will start by saying I appreciate the family for agreeing to have these courses on their property and embracing the game of disc golf. Diane met us at the Saloon on her way to work just to meet us , tell us about the courses, and show us where to go to get to #1 tee- very important since Twist is actually down the road 1/3 mile. I felt very welcome as we were turned loose on our own playing on private property. If you like to play DG in isolation- Twist has it. There is almost no sign of human existence here other than the DG stuff and some brides and fences- primarily nature. Twist offers a nice chance to just get away from everyday life.

Like Deuce and Selah, the detailed color tee signs, pro and am concrete tees, and Discatchers are in excellent shape. Basket locations are very well-placed. There are 2 primary types of holes, longer field holes and shorter wooded holes, that contrast and complement each other. The long stretch of technical wooded holes along the creek stand out as a strong feature. I also really liked hole 3 which felt like playing 2 different holes- first a drive uphill through some trees, then a challenging 2nd shot sharply to the right over a pond- the entire hole requires thought and careful planning and placement on multiple shots. Hole 10 also has this quality (just be sure to know where the basket is, I will know better for next time.)
Cons: Though there is a good percentage of each hole type overall, all the shorter technical wooded holes were all together back-to-back. You start with some longer more open holes to get to the woods/creek area, then you play through it, and then you finish like you started with 3 longer open holes to get back. This is pretty much what had to be done, but not an ideal constantly changing mix (at least for me) from open to moderately wooded to heavily wooded and long to short.

I have never been a fan over throwing in a wide open field, which is the case for several shots here (#6, #16 for example.) Of the 4 destination courses in the area, this one had more shots where it really did not matter where you landed, and there was lots of room to recover from errant throws on these holes. (Great for those with uncontrolled distance I guess).

There are several blind holes, which are fine, but walking long holes to scout and find the basket is taxing when playing your first round here. The real negative is I felt that on occasion some of the tee signs were a little inaccurate or deceptive or just unclear as to exactly where the basket was (#10 for example).

We were told by Diane to park just inside the first gate (close it) then walk--- and it is a Long walk to #1, add on a very long walk to play, and then finally a long walk uphill from #18 to car, walking is fine, just know there is extra walking tacked on to physically demanding set of courses. And understand the course comes nowhere close to anything during play (not the car, no water, no restrooms, no people, nothing). If playing in the TX summer heat, bring lots and lots and lots of water (more than you think), carry less discs and more to drink. And just be extra careful to not get injured as it will be a ways to get help. Having been spoiled by the carts at Selah the day before, we wished we could have had carts for holes 1-6 and 16-18 (not needed for the stretch of flatter shaded shorter wooded holes).
Other Thoughts: 1/3 mile drive down the road from the saloon.

$10 to play all day is a very fair price (though 1 round at each is probably enough for anybody in 1 day).

This was probably my least favorite of the 4 courses, though I admit it was the hottest and the last one I played so I was getting tired. Next time I visit the area (and believe I will be back) I would plan to play the Trey courses first for a day, then go to Selah for 2-3 days and play there.

Recommendation- Though not the top level of courses I have played, the Trey courses are still of a high quality overall. Do understand these courses are meant to challenge even pros. Definitely not suited for beginners or those not in good physical condition.

Question- Maybe the heat affected my memory, as I thought there were two tees for most every hole, but now I am questioning that fact looking at the map and hole info. I know at least some holes had a rec tee and a pro tee, but I am fairly certain most, if not all, the holes did. If so, somebody needs to update the info on DGCR.

Tough and Long

1    8/5/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: Texas Twist starts with a series of 6 holes that mix some open areas with areas along a wooded creek. Holes 7-15 are in mostly wooded bottomland further up the creek and then 16-18 bring you back out in the open again, mixing in the same more open topography encountered in the first six holes. The course terrain is low, rolling hills although elevation plays little role in this course.

Like Deuce, Texas Twist has some brilliant holes. Even some of the longer holes mix open and wooded areas in unique ways. Hole 3 is the best example of this starting in a long wooded tunnel and ending out in the open with a water carry. Another good example is Hole 10, starting with a long tunnel shot leading out into the open for a shot through a gap between another row of large trees toward the basket guarded by smaller trees.

The shorter, par 3, holes are laid out very well and are a lot of fun to play. Most of these holes are below 300' even from the pro tees with the exception of holes 13, which also shares the limited ceiling of all of the bottomland holes along the creek, and 3 which is a downhill throw through a gap and across a small creek. A few of the holes along the creek are a bit repetitive, but still fun.

Twist, like Deuce, has a high difficulty level and will greatly reward accuracy, especially in the middle section of holes in the wooded creek bottom. Unlike Deuce, however, most of the rough contains more mature trees and less punishing rough than the holes on Deuce in the area of newer pine plantings.

Navigation (once you've found the course) is pretty straightforward. The tee signs are excellent, there are plenty of bridges for crossing the creek.

For $10 you can play both courses. This is as good a bargain as anyone should ask for.
Cons: This course is a long way from the Saloon where you will have to check in, sign a release and pay the fee. There is also no indication at the Saloon of where Twist starts. You won't find it by just looking around either. See below for directions.

At about 9,000 feet from the long tees, this is a long course that has long holes that are long for the sake of being long. When the Northeast Texas temperatures start hitting 100+, this course is a chore to walk. There are no bathrooms or water on either of these courses and you will need to bring your water with you and bring plenty of it if it's really hot. I have never carried a stool with me, but I might if I ever play this course again.

There is less elevation on this course than on Deuce and what elevation there is has largely been negated when it might have helped to add distance to a tee shot. Hole 4 is a good example where the pro tee is set back over the crest of the hill that has the basket at the bottom, barring a downhill throw. There's even a small, apparently manmade ridge, to help block downward throws. Perhaps the most elevation comes into play is on the uphill hole 18, which also has a somewhat low ceiling off the tee, again negating the elevation somewhat on the tee shot because you can't throw uphill.

The best holes on Twist mix open and wooded areas. Those with less luster, in my opinion, are the very long holes that are either wide open, like 6 and 17, or so treed that they are just a chore to play, like 12, with very narrow gaps to hit between many trees. There are no truly bad holes, but there do appear to be a few holes whose purpose seems to be only to move you a long way to the next hole.

The creek must be crossed many times and comes into play in ways that isn't always obvious from the tee box, but it's not OB on every hole and where it is, it is indicated as such on the tee sign.
Other Thoughts: HOW TO FIND THIS COURSE: Realistically, you need to call. One of the course owners will meet you and show you around when you get there. But, once you are at the saloon, go back out to the road and head south about mile, until you see the sign for Texas Twist on the left. Turn there, open the gate (and close it behind you, this is a working farm) go to the next gate, open it (and close it behind you) and then head off to the left where you should be able to see the course sign near the first tee. It's okay to drive to it.

People traveling to this area for disc golf are probably going to play both the Trey Texas Ranch courses and the Selah Ranch courses. My friend and I played Selah on Saturday and Trey on Sunday before heading home. It was around 100 both days. We played 54 holes at Selah and 36 at Trey, and were barely able to finish on Texas Twist. The difference was the carts at Selah.

Ultimately, from the pro tees, Texas Twist isn't so different from Lakeside other than a comparative lack of water hazards. Though a high quality course, it has its share of less than stellar holes. If you are only going to play two courses, it makes no sense to play one at Trey and one at Selah. If you are looking for high degree of difficulty, play Deuce and Twist (despite the higher estimated SSE's for Selah, I found these courses to be more difficult). If time is a factor, play Selah.

Your best bet is to come at a time when you can play all the courses over two days. There are some nice places to stay, eat and drink in Mt. Pleasant and Mt. Vernon. Texas BBQ Corral in Mt. Vernon is a must. Just don't eat there before your round.

1    4/10/2015   5/5/2015
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is one of the most expansive courses I have played. By the time you get several holes in, you are all alone. As a native of the Midwest, I enjoyed the quiet wilderness of the plains. There are even cows! On one of the holes there were cows hanging out right in the fairway (the owner said future fencing will keep them off the course). But they moved on quickly and are too stupid to do any harm, anyway.

There is a good mix of holes here. The course begins and ends with pretty open holes that usually involve one tree line or so. The elevation of the property, while mild, is on these holes. One of the best of these is hole 17. It's actually not that great a hole for an intermediate like me, but I love the design for what top players could do (this is used in the doubles championships). It is a par five that requires a couple long throws to get around the trees that line the fairway's right side along a creek. But there is an intriguing eagle route across an OB peninsula that requires a long accurate drive, a pinpoint approach across the creek twice (and through two gaps) and then a putt

The course's best part, though, is the wooded area from holes 7-15. They are technical and show off the best of Houck design with multiple routes on many holes with varying levels of risk. The best hole on the course is #10. It is a long drive through the woods across the creek to an open prairie where the hole bends left about 60 degrees. There is a wide gap in a tree line to hit with the basket on the other side. Great multi-throw hole.

There are two concrete tees on every hole. I played the long tees.The Houck signs are among the best in the game, making it very evident how you can approach the hole. This is great for destination courses like this since most people aren't going to get to play dozens of times.
Cons: I played here when conditions were really awful. It's tough to completely separate a temporarily poor condition from your overall experience. The fairway were sopping wet. On some holes there was ankle-deep water on much of the fairway; other places it was "only" squishy. One hole (maybe 13 or 14) had a lake on half of the fairway. It wasn't on the tee sign, and I assume it's not usually there. Every course has a rainy season unless you're in Arizona, and I tried not to let that color my review. But it was the worst water retention I've seen on a course.

Aside from the conditions, I got kind of bored with the repetitive creek crossing holes. The creek is a prominent feature and deserved to be used, but when you are crossing over it on every hole (sometimes .twice) for seven or eight straight holes, it gets old. Also, there aren't nearly enough bridges given how these holes are designed. There was one bridge of quality craftsmanship, several that were logs across the ravine (I'm fine with this), but in many areas there were no bridges at all. I had to do a running jump to get across too many times. I wonder if some crossings got washed away?

The open holes, while enjoyable, aren't very memorable. I saw some young trees has been planted, and in several years they will probably shape these fairways a little more.

Lastly, this course is a long way from the parking area at Trey Deuce, about a 10-15 minute walk.
Other Thoughts: Given the proximity to Selah Ranch and the same designer, this will draw inevitable comparisons. If you're in the area, you should play all four courses. They're all good. But just know this isn't on the level of Selah. Lakeside has far more distinguished holes with more features to work with, and it's more fun as well. I felt like Texas Twist was on the level of Creekside. It's tough for me to compare since the conditions were gorgeous when I played Creekside and pretty poor here. Also, I would have loved to have use of a golf cart. Or maybe an ATV, given the mud.

I'll get to the hospitality of this place in my Trey Deuce review (unbelievably nice people), but in spite of the rough conditions, I'd still highly recommend a visit. I want another crack at it for sure.

Longer Brother of Deuce

1    2/7/2015   3/5/2015
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: The hospitality you will get at Trey Texas Ranch is unmatched from anywhere you will play. Me and my partner walked with the owner and she was a great person to talk to about everything that goes on at the course. Easily worth the $10 payment.

I found Twist to be more enjoyable in the woods, rather than out of open, which is a different thought than I normally have. The stretch I enjoyed the most was 7-15 in the woods. They were masterfully crafted and I never thought to myself that any of the holes were lucky or had too many unnecessary trees, probably because Houck is the master designer and I am just a lowly intermediate player. Hole 14 was my favorite hole; the owner called it the snake hole as it winds around towards the basket, it really epitomizes what I have mentioned when I say the holes are well shaped and taken care of.

The owner mentioned that all 36 tees of concrete have recently been poured. It seemed as if it took longer to get Twist ready than Deuce, but it is very well cleaned and manicured.
Cons: For whatever reason, I just did not enjoy the holes outside of the woods. I was not a huge fan of the trees right in front of the box on hole 16 and hole 17 just seemed a tad wonky. (the owner told me I played it wrong; it seemed right from the tee).

The thing I like the most about this ranch compared to Selah was the lack of pin positions right on water's edge. Hole 3 was the exception to that. 1/36 isn't bad.
Other Thoughts: My rank for the four course in the area are:
1. Selah Ranch - Lakeside
2.Texas Trey Ranch - Trey Deuce
3. Texas Trey Ranch - Texas Twist
4. Selah Ranch - Creekside

Texas Twist is a great course, and one I would play often if I lived closer. You can make one of the best disc golf weekends in America if you play these four courses. All four are phenomenal at worst.

Trey Texas has hospitality that is better than anywhere you will play. The owners embraced the sport, and it is nice to see them caring so much about the course.

Twists and Turns

1    4/25/2014   9/13/2014
Review By: Qikly
Pros: Texas Twist's contribution to the Trey Ranch/Selah Ranch quartet of courses offers probably the best diversity of the four 18s. Hole distances are wide ranging and evenly distributed, with everything from deuceables to challenging par 3s to the signature John Houck par 4s and 5s emphasizing placement and risk versus reward. Mandos, a lake, and creekbeds all come into play, and woodedness is exceptionally varied, covering the gamut from open bombs to heavily wooded tunnel shots and all manner in between. Shot variety is abundant. Elevation isn't significant, but plays a minor role here and there to further spice things up. All told there's something for everyone here, and this diversity is masterfully integrated and orchestrated.

Texas Twist plays more intimate and less grandiose than Selah Lakeside, and more technical than either Creekside or Trey Deuce, mostly due to the stretch of wooded holes from 7 to 15. These feature fair but challenging lines, tight windows, strategy-inducing landing zones and multiple lanes, and some punishing rough. Precision is tested here, but fairly so. It's a great mix of distances and pars that provides a clinic of wooded disc golf amounting to one of my favorite stretches of holes I've ever played. True bliss, with some picturesque moments, such as 9's creekside basket and 10's wooded lane off the tee.

Two tees per hole accommodate a variety of skill levels while keeping it interesting and challenging. Concrete tees are fantastic: level, huge, and well-signed.

Favorite holes: 10, a gorgeous, daunting tunnel shot that exits the woods ~300' out before cutting left and playing across a field to a nestled basket; 13, a deuceable multi-lane par 3 requiring tight FH or BH hyzers to make a run at the basket; 14, a gonzo multistager in tight conditions that is a true test of control. 18 deserves honorable mention as a thorny closer.
Cons: While the variety here is really something, the holes outside of the woods for the most part don't measure up to those in the wooded stretch. Some of this is a product of the course being in its infancy: 17, for instance, is presently quite open, but has some saplings that will notably enhance the technicality in a few years' time. Elsewhere there are a few too-well-trod Houckisms: yet another pin placed at a pond's edge, for instance, feels a bit stale to me, as does the cumulative effect of several open bombs and/or obstacle-free approaches to the basket. These latter cons aren't about design so much as land limitations, but that doesn't change the disparity between them and the sublime golf to be found in the woods. Such holes are largely what keep Texas Twist from being a perfect 5 for me.

When I played here in April 2014, the upkeep was very poor, with knee high grass throughout. It made searching for drivers on the longer more open holes a real drag. Others' reviews suggest that the grooming has improved, which would be a great plus.

The course is a hike, both for being long and for often requiring first timers to scout ahead. I'll bet it's brutal in the summer, even with the shade.
Other Thoughts: I would rank the Selah/Trey courses thus, from best to "worst": Lakeside, Texas Twist, Creekside, Trey Deuce. If TT's full 18 was on the level of the wooded holes that tickled my fancy, it'd likely be ahead of Lakeside and atop my favorite courses of all time. Even as it stands, it's a fantastic, memorable course that pairs well with Trey Deuce with its increased technicality.

$10 for a day of disc golfing on fantastic courses is a steal in my book.

Owner and namesake Trey is a helluva nice guy. Come give him your money and play his courses!

5+    5/17/2014   8/20/2014
Review By: geoloseth
Pros: Texas Twist is definitely the tougher of the two Trey Texas courses. It is located just south of the saloon and the owners can point you where to go. Almost every hole has two tee pads. The longer of the tees being the most played for events and casual trips to the course. The first 6 holes are more open and require a well placed 2nd shot to score well. Hole 3 is really the only hole on the course where you could lose a disc without being able to retrieve it. There is a small pond on hole 5 but shouldn't come into play. Hole 6 is the longest hole on the course and plays across a large field. There are two groups of trees in the fairway that could interfere with your second/third shot if you land behind them and a small cluster of trees near the green that require an accurate throw to the pin. If the wind is blowing hard this hole instantly becomes one to two strokes more difficult. Holes 7-15 are all played through the wooded section of the property and are what set this course apart from almost every other course out there.

The fairways on the wooded holes are well defined, however the areas off of the fairways have been cleaned out of thorny vines but kept mostly untouched. This means that if you end up off of the fairway you may only be left with the option to pitch back out and try again. Holes 7 & 8 don't require much distance but you have to hit your line or you could end up in the small creek or deep in the woods. HOles 9 and 10 are my favorites. On hole 9 you can either attempt to lay up off of the tee to just short of the creek and then throw a long hyzer into the green; or play a turnover shot through a tight gap over the creek in order to get out to the right as far as possible and leave a shorter approach shot. The pin is nestled right above the creek and near an OB fence line. Hole 10 requires a 300'+ shot down a tight fairway to lay up before the creek or a 350+ shot to make it out into the field. Your next shot must make it through two large trees and over another small creek. If your first shot was long enough and you have the arm, you can reach the green on your second shot. But this does play as one of the hardest par 5's I've ever encountered. Holes 11 is another tight fairway par 4. There are some more 2able holes in hole 12, 13, and 15. Holes 16 - 18 play back out into the open, which is a relief after the previous 9.

Permanent signage is now in place for the holes. The map of the course is necessary the first time out, but it's not that difficult to find your way around. The owners have continued to clean the fairways of stumps and other problems. Bridges are in place to cross the creek when necessary and the course is regularly mowed.
Cons: There are only a few cons that I could find with this course. I don't feel that they are a product of bad design, but rather the setting that the course is in.

The facilities are very limited. This course is set out in the country on farm land so that is to be expected. The saloon has restroom facilities so I recommend using them before setting out on this course.

There is also very little traffic at these courses relative to Selah Ranch and other courses. This means that it will take longer for the course fairways to wear in. In the meantime the owners are maintaining the property religiously. This is not a course in a city park which means there will be some hiking required as you make your way.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the most overall challenging courses I have ever played. I think that it was designed so that a big arm will help, but is not required to score well. Bring lots of water and bug spray with you. I always try to play this course as many times as I can when I'm here and it always makes me want to come back and try to improve my score.