North Fort Myers, FL
N. Ft. Myers Community Park Share
Uploaded By: redOzone Hole #15 (Taken 3/2016)
Hole #15 Short Tee

Has potential

2-4    1/28/2018   1/29/2018
Review By: Inverted
Pros: Played the 17th Annual SW Florida Open this last weekend and thought I'd give a quick review.

The course is located at a county park, so there is ample parking and amenities in the clubhouse. That's nice after a long round of chucking plastic. There is one practice putting basket near the parking area.

This course has a real "Florida" feel with the palms and sawgrass everywhere. In general there is a premium on accuracy over distance, but there are a few bomber holes here where you will need both! Mix of open and tunnel shots, hyzer and annhyzer holes, and different distances. It has just enough variety to keep you on your toes.

Pads are hit and miss: some concrete, some pavers, some carpet. Baskets are average. There are multiple basket locations which is nice if you play here often, and some are slightly elevated. Signage is decent.

Quick rundown of the holes:
1 - my least favorite on the course. Super tightly wooded with no discernable line to the basket. You can throw and hope to make it thru the trees, or some go up and over the trees and hope to plinko down to the basket. It's just luck and stupid hole design. It's short so par is most likely, but who cares.

2 - Is a straight ahead short birdie run if the pin is up, if it is back it becomes a kinda tough low ceiling shot

3 - is a mild hyzer shot thru a somewhat tight tunnel with seasonal water OB on both sides. Hard to park one, but par is doable.

4 - opens up a bit to a straight ahead shot. A few skinny trees in the fairway keep you honest, and sawgrass lines both sides of the fairway.

5 - shorter hole that prefers a sidearm shot, although there is a tiny hyzer spike line available if you're bold.

6 - wide open fairway, but lots of guardian trees make this a tough hole when the basket is in the far position.

7 - long fairly tight hole will test you to make par

8 - shorter open hole with the basket tucked into the sawgrass is its only defense

9 - is a hyzer shot to an elevated pin. Avoid the fairway trees and youre good.

10 - is a fairly easy short par 3. Use the fence for a backstop and make an ace run

11, 12 - run down a skinny path with a high fence bordering the right which defines OB. High hyzer off the pad is the common play. 12 is the longer of the two, but they are similar shots.

13 - fun short par 3. A straight to very slight turnover mid will reward you with a birdie.

14 - tight anny or sidearm shot required. Easy to find the schule if you dont hold the line. The long basket position requires a straighter or Flex line

15 - is a pure tunnel. Throw it low and straight and it will slide up to the basket

16 - is a guarded straight shot, or a hyzer depending on basket position. You must clear an early tree opening to have a good line to the basket

17 - is near the baseball field, so you get some real grass and less sawgrass which is a nice reprieve.

18 - is a water carry thru a slight tree opening from both pads. Provides just enough pucker factor for a closing hole that victory is never assured.
Cons: Hole 1 is lame in my opinion. Pray and spray. Not fun.

Tee pads are inconsistent.

A lot of relics from past versions of the course: old teepads everywhere, posts, even a metal basket pipe sticking out of the ground on 15 that is definitely a safety hazard. This all needs to be ripped out.
Other Thoughts: I've only played here a few times, but from what I've heard the course has come a long, long way. It's getting there, and I congratulate the folks who are the caretakers here. They said concrete pads are in the future, and that would go a long way to making this course really nice. And the tournament this weekend went off without a hitch so they know what they are doing.

Overall, I would recommend playing this course. At it's core, it is a good test...par is nothing to be ashamed of here. If you go, keep it in the fairway, or else wear long pants or socks. The fauna will cut you otherwise! Good Luck.

North Fort Meyer Community Park Has A Little Trouble With Their Numbering System!

1    1/23/2018   1/23/2018
This review was updated on 7/2/2018
Pros: The park is large with a real Florida marshland and Florida forest feel to it. Many fairways seem to be cut out of the marshy grasslands. There are scads of mature trees to avoid. Two holes (11 & 12) play down a narrow 15' wide fairway with a chain link fence on your right the entire way. Thick bushy palms and tree are on the left. I didn't see a gate and didn't want to scale this fence (my dear wife always tells me not to do anything stupid and at my advancing age climbing over tall chain link fences definitely qualifies as stupid). So I ridiculously chose to throw a forehand roller, with limited success.

On the first three holes, I threw off three different tee pad surfaces, carpet, concrete and patio block. Not a big deal, just kinda interesting. I assume they are in the process of installing concrete. I thought the patio block tees were fine. The basic little tee signs show the distances for both sets of tees. I think, only the shorts had the signs with all the information. A couple holes had no signage. The baskets are basic Mach I models. I did appreciate the small wooden next tee arrows that were affixed to the bottom of the baskets, except # 5, which was pointed in the exact opposite direction from the actual pads.

Playing from the shorts, the course is recreational level. The longs appear to be longer but mostly the same look and line to the basket. Playing over 1300' longer I think the challenge level might be creeping up into the advanced range. A player needs to accurate to play here. This is another course that I wouldn't exactly call technical but it is tight in places. I don't see it as being a good fit for the beginning player.

Favorite hole? No one hole wowed me. I actually thought 11 & 12 playing along the fence line we're kinda cool along with a certain element of pucker. As tight as they are, I think better players wouldn't hesitate to hyser one out over the fence and let it fade back to the basket.
Cons: I liked the description previous reviewer, jeremyjsand, used to describe North Fort Meyers DGC. He proclaimed it, A Diamond With Some Rough. I'm thinking he meant the course is rough around the edges. Agreed.

The course feels a little neglected compared to many. I see signs that someone is working to improve things here. Someone was out today with a chain saw working along on of the fairways. But, when you see three different types of pads on the first three holes, you know this is a work in progress. Not like Taylor Lake Park up north where the local club is doing amazing things.

The little next tee arrows were so very helpful except for the one on the # 5 basket. It points in the exact opposite direction of the next pad.

The numbering system totally confused me starting at hole 14. Some of the signs had one number and then the short sign had a different number and then the basket said something else. I though I was done after playing what I thought was # 18 before a guy wandering by told me that was 17 and directed me to 18. Then all the distances on those tees was screwed up. I finally threw from the shortest tee and the sign said 105'. 105' is about one half way across the pond.

A few holes had no signs.

The course is flat and there's not much in the way of hole variety. You're not often forced to shape your shots. I'd say this is another course where you're not going to have to use every disc in your bag.
Other Thoughts: The course felt a lot average to me. Average beauty. Average challenge. Average pads, baskets and signage. Average maintenance and upkeep. Average design and uniqueness. Average excitement factor. Throw in some below average elevation and I feel compelled to give this course an average rating of 2.5. It has it moments but.....and I played in January when it was dry and the vegetation might have been less of a factor than in the summer months.

Oh Joy, Pavered Tees.

1    8/20/2017   10/26/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.721 Rating) A challenging course with upkeep issues.
- CHALLENGING - Not championship difficult but advanced players will be able to test their skills here. I think your typical advanced player (950 rating) will struggle to maintain par here from the back tees. There are a few shots well of 400 feet and lots of obstacles to avoid. I personally played the shorter tees for my round and didn't crack par. Playing above your skill level here can be punishing, especially if your aim is suspect.
- SHOT SHAPING - Very good. Not as good as the nearby course, The Preserve, but on par or better than neighboring Estero. This is one of those courses that on few holes you'll believe that branches are growing into your line after you release your disc. My favorite lines were (3) (14) and (18). The last half dozen holes all make you strategize your plan of attack, or perhaps your defense plan.
- SPACING - A lot of South Florida course are jammed into a tight space. The North Fort Myers course is one of the few exceptions. Very little chance to run one into another fairway and tees are nearly all well protected from errant discs.
- CHILL AREAS - Only a few benches and I think one or two picnic tables along layout. There is just enough seating along the layout to take a break every few holes to ponder how that easy 3 became a 5.
- ALT PINS AND TEES - Lots of extra pins placements and numerous holes have duel pads.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - There are several nice looking wooded and water holes out here. The last six-hole stretch was my favorite portion with four solid wooded holes followed by two holes with water lurking on the left side. On the flip side there are also a few duds out here as well. Having the chain link fence along the right side on (11 and 12) is neither appealing to look at or to throw
Cons: North Fort Myers has your typical south Florida issues, thick vegetation, flatness and plenty of water.
- GATORS - Prime gator habitat at the water on (17 and 18) with signs warning as such. I'm not sure if the locals actually see gators in these ponds or not, but I wouldn't want to find out.
- LOOSE DISC OPPS - A very real possibility considering the above issue. However, there are more scenarios as well. In addition to water on (17 and 18), water is all over on (3) and also right of the fence on (11 and 12). The course also features thick vegetation, numerous palms and palmetto bushes. This is not an ideal course to have an off accuracy day. Keep in mind that I did play North Fort Myers in the summer. I know of several south Florida courses that dry up and lose the vegetative thickness during the winter. This course may as well.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Bringing a first timer here is not a good idea. That stated, I'd be hard pressed to recommend any nearby courses as an ideal beginners courses.
- CHARACTER - A touch below. A cool stickered up bag hanger on (5). Multi baskets and tees and mentioned in the pros. A few benches, trash cans and a practice basket. However, it's the next 3 items listed below, that lead to a below average score.
- NAVIGATION - No map on DGCR and no map on site. The layout does have a little bit of intuitiveness to it and there are some directional cues and next tee indicators on the tee signs. However, that didn't stop me from walking around aimlessly a couple of times. Figure coming here blind on your first time will add at least 15 minutes to your round.
- TEES - Wow, I was expecting a lot more from a course rated this high. Many of the tees use concrete pavers. I want to say I've played 5 or 6 courses that utilized pavers and none of them were in good shape, and this course is no exception. Most of these pavered tees are heaving up, down and to the side. A few had broken pavers as well. A couple were so bad that I teed to the side. There were also a couple temporary mats. They were better than the pavers but still not ideal.
- MAINTENANCE - The course needs a touch more love, perhaps it was the time I played. In addition to the tees, the overall feeling I got from the course was a little run down feel. Not horrible by any means, but lacks the curb appeal like that of Estero and The Preserve. A couple signs were missing or damaged. Grass wasn't cut in several areas.
- ELEVATION - I you guessed that this course was flat, you'd be right. If you're searching for a course with some elevation, Estero about a half hour south has a couple 30 foot elevation plays.
- UNIQUENESS - In addition to no elevation, I think the overall variety was around average or a touch below compared to the courses I've played thus far. For one thing, all par 3s. No doglegs or water clears. It didn't seem like they were any bomb-it without worry holes out here and not one shot felt like a chip shot ace run. What the course does have going for it is the technical nature of several lines to the left and to the right. I recall at least one raised basket on (9) but I think there may have been another. Water parallels two holes really well and has a marginal effect on a couple other holes.
- TIME PLAY - Figure 2 1/2 hours for a four sum here.
Other Thoughts: The 100th course I hit in Florida. The thunderstorms were building all around me the day I came. I thought about bailing several times but was blessed to only get a few sprinkles during my round. North Fort Myers fills the gap between two of Southwest Florida's top courses (The Preserve and Estero) Although I think the North Fort Myers course comes up a bit short compared to those gems, I still would happily call this course my own if I lived in the area A great course for those looking to be challenged, but a poor choice for the kid with one or two discs.

Great course

1    9/6/2016   3/6/2017
Review By: Jesse Santiago
Pros: Throwing around palm trees! Nice lines with some risk and reward. Not too long of a course but can be technical depending on shot selection. Watch out for the palmettos. The course itself was very clean and the flow of the course was very smooth. Never got lost due to good signage. Big thumbs up, can't wait to go back!
Cons: Wear pants or really tall socks, the palmettos will get you.
Other Thoughts: Love this place and wish I lived closer!

Great all around course!

1    3/5/2017   3/5/2017
Review By: amiller80
Pros: Great mix of holes.
Easy to follow.
Well maintained.
Cons: Some pads get fairly sandy.
A few too many open basket placements.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course. It's middle of the road distance wise, so it helps with shorter technical shots. Very happy with it overall.

A diamond with some rough

5+    12/6/2015   12/7/2015
Review By: jeremyjsand
This review was updated on 6/2/2016
Pros: A healthy mix of holes, and one of the few courses in the area that allow for larger arms to really throw (long pads for holes 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 17 are near/beyond 400 ft). There are 5-6 holes that allow for max power shots, and that's not something you can say about Port Charlotte, Bonita, and Naples.
Cons: The rough is very rough -- as mentioned previously, 3 ft high palmettos will gobble up discs. Your first couple of times through should be done with either a local or you should take turns spotting. It's easy to lose discs during your first trip out here.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course that's only getting better. I swear every week I play the course and something's been improved upon. The course now has glow in the dark tee signs, and parks crew and club volunteers continue to landscape this park into a really nice place to play. Swap out a handful of tee pads and I'll change my 4 to a 5.

1    10/9/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: Surprisingly well-maintained with nice wide fairways suitable for beginner to intermediate players. For the most part a nice variety of hole shapes and lengths and the difference between fairway and rough is obvious. A lot of the holes feature mowed out areas between the scrub palms and the goal is to toss it along that fairways. Of course there are plenty of opportunities for an advanced player to throw over all of it but he better be careful to get back to a safe landing space here. Other holes feature a bit more of a wooded look, with canopies and tree lines and the rest, so this is a good mix of holes that should be fun for most players.
I found navigation simple with new tee signs that had been installed just that week and solid equipment all over the course. Though I could see this course getting out of hand, if the maintenance continues to be like what I saw, this will be a pretty good stop on any trip and a nice alternative to Estero for locals who fear water.
Cons: The rough is that typical of a lot of Florida courses. Scrub palm that sits about waste high that you want no part of going into for retrieval. Though I think it works for the most part here, this is typically a style that I dislike, as there are rarely trees that make you shape your shot: all the rough can be flown over. At other points, the fairways is lined with murky water and the hole shapes are straight and uninteresting. It does have a bit of the problem where the holes are red-level in terms of difficulty but the rough is inappropriate for new players who may be frustrated with the fact that an errant shot will have them in misery. There are also a few holes that are just why, as they follow a preexisting path parallel to a fence that guards some sort of drainage system the end of which features a basket tucked slightly to the left.

Recent Round

5+    11/7/2015   7/29/2014
Review By: kentsecor56
This review was updated on 11/8/2015
Pros: Lots of tight, through the trees shots. Good hole and fairway placements. Canopy keeps some shots low. Other open fairways allow wide hyzer shots.

The trees that were along holes 11 and 12 were removed last summer, allowing hyzer shots.
Cons: Rough is extremely rough. Dense palmettos on both sides of the fairways. If you mis-throw, it can take an hour to find your disc. Tall cabbage palms catch and trap your disc. Key is to not mis-throw your disc.
Other Thoughts: You will find normal Florida fuana. I have seen Florida Black Snakes, (harmless and protected), Florida Long Tail weasel, tortises, rabbits, eagles, hawks and other birds.

Highly recommend wearing long pants, palmettoes are the saw palmetto varity and will cut you. There is poison ivy and oak around the course and fire ants, and spiders that bite, so be careful where you walk.

Recommend having a spotter, playing your first round with a local will help you get familar with the course. Maps are available online and in the Rec. Center.

Palmetto Forest

2-4    7/15/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: cohunter
Pros: A varying of shots for all disc golfers. The local league/park has worked hard at creating a course that can be easy for the beginner or difficult for the more advanced players. Each hole has a pro and am teepad and multiple pin placements(according to map on pin placements).
The course was very quite with only a few people playing and very few people out on the course. This was the same when played in January too when the weather was cooler.
Holes: 3,11,12, and 16 were pretty narrow. 18 throws over the corner of a pond. 1-3, 10-18 are all pretty shaded and played through the palms and oaks.
The rec center staff were helpful in getting me a course map, which I recommend getting, and the rec center also has nice restrooms and cold water from the fountain!
All baskets were up kept well with not damage and all were marked with a number to help identify.
Cons: Brand new layout and design is the reason for the cons. But I am going to put them so that future players know. As the course improves and problems are taken care of I'll update the review.
A lot of trash, was disappointed in how much trash was on the course. Only a handful of trashcans, on #6 near the basket there is an old "dump" where locals have discarded trash and a lot of glass.
4-10 plays out in a palmetto forest. Literally cut down by a mower for fairways, stay straight and the palms are no worry, go right or left and your are on an Easter Egg hunt! The palms do come into effect in 11-17 but these holes are in the oaks and offered shade.
The league and park tried to put in signage but park users have vandalized the temp signs and finding your way can be difficult.
The tee area has no sign for distance or pin placement so walking ahead looking for baskets was a must, most teepads were either temporary pavers or the old rough concrete teepads.
Other Thoughts: Once navigation and signage is taken care of this will help boost the course. Being hot and confused looking for a teepad isn't fun. The trash unfortunately will take a while to collect as a combined effort from all park goers is the only way to fix the issue.
Overall it was a good experience and will play again.

lose the pavers

5+    7/25/2017   4/2/2014
Review By: BigTexas
This review was updated on 7/26/2017
Pros: The course is starting to emerge. But definitely needs a tune up.. The pads are the same look at the hole just shorter with the exception of 17. The local club chapter is working the design over
Cons: CLEAN UP THE GARBAGE! there is broken glass on every single fairway old rusted metal car parts, beer cans water bottles cig butts, bed springs GARBAGE everywhere its like they put the new course on an old land fill from the 70's and pavers? come on put some pads in or secure the pavers correctly so you don't roll your ankles ?.... flow issue when people are on the tee of # 2 and people shooting 18 someone's gonna get hit. still lots of garbage. tree trimmings dumped in basket area... Course needs plantings some well placed trees would do this course well esp on the 2 long holes.. The new layout has been in for awhile clean it up already
Other Thoughts: course is short in length only throw a driver on 3 holes with all that space out there they could have at least 2 more @ 400ft. The course is showing promise but needs the difficulty needs to be turned up a bit. GET RID OF THE PAVERS