Lexington, KY
Jacobson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: goosefraba1 Hole #16

Elite Park? Yes. Disc Golf? Not So Much.

1    6/9/2018   6/12/2018
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Jacobson is a massive, top-level park. There's so much to do here. Too bad the disc golf isn't a priority.
- I'd rather be enjoying the park. Because the course is so spread out you'll get to see much of what the park has to offer.
- Much of the course is open. Only holes #2 - 4 & 6 (and partially #5) are wooded. That, and the course's length - average hole length is 386 feet - allows/requires players to throw lots of big drives.
- Get your kicks in early. The best holes are all at the beginning of the course. #1 is probably the course's best. It's a gentle dogleg left at 483 feet. The open fairway gets progressively narrower towards the basket. Solid warmup hole.
- #3 will get attention for its symmetrical design. You're throwing down an alley of trees. Picturesque view. Challenge? Not so much.
- #5 is the other memorable hole. At 681 feet, it's the longest on the course. You're playing outside the last row of the trees seen on #3. Once you clear the final row of trees, it's a right turn to the basket.
- Parts of the course are secluded from the rest of the course. Other times..not so much. With the course being so spread out, there's a couple different spots you can pick up the round. I didn't find the correct parking lot for #1. Instead, I parked right by the tee for #4.
Cons: There's an absolute lack of variety to this course. After #6, the next 11 holes all seem eerily similar. Sure, some have a tree or two; a couple have doglegs; heck, even #13 is back in the woods. At least the basket for #18 is on a mound. Otherwise, the course gets boring only 1/3 of the way into the round.
- The course is way too spread out. After #1, it's a walk to #2 - 5. Next, you have another long walk to #6. Then there's a long walk to #12, and it wraps up with another long walk from #17 to 18. I was surprised #18 is right next to #1.
- Signage and navigation is putrid. (Insert joke comparing issues to the local paid basketball players). There's nothing worse than aimlessly walking to find the next hole. It's worse when you see multiple baskets and don't know which one to throw towards. It's worst that the online map has the thinnest, palest font making the tool essentially helpless.
- Course is overly boring. I was spoiled by playing Idlewild earlier in the day. Still having a course with so little creativity made this a dull play.
- No benches or trash cans on the course itself. You do pass bathrooms, trash cans and picnic areas if you want to rest during one of your many long walks.
- Lots of other park activities interfere with the course. Throughout my round I came across: people in hammocks (holes #3 - 5); people picnicking in the woods, #3 - 5, families running around the baskets (#12 & 18).
Other Thoughts: Jacobson Park has a lot of great things to offer. It also has a disc golf course.
- I don't mind a course that has long transitions between holes. I'm accepting of mostly open layouts. Just don't combine two negatives.
- Don't overcompensate by making your wooded holes without fairways. See holes #2 & 6. Just saying.
- There is potential for a much better layout. It's never going to be great, but it could be better.
- Invest in some next tee markers/arrows on the long transitions. Another simple touch that would improve the player's experience.
- This course has a doppelganger. Just outside of Charlotte is Rotary Park. At least down here, people are honest about the course's flaws. They're in denial in Lexington, just like they are about their basketball program and its coach. Hey, there's my joke about the team.

Yakobson sounds Swedish

1    4/10/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Nice city park with single concrete tee and DisCatcher basket position on each hole. Decent tee signs. Course loops back to parking lot after 12 and 18.

Great use of the rolling park terrain and integration of variety of pine and hard wood types and open spaces into the course design. Shot makers course that has high fun factor allowing to air out some big shots that still require some technical line shaping.

Restrooms in parking lot.
Cons: Only one layout, which is advanced/pro, so this might be a little hard for beginners. Holes 7 and 8 tee signs are slightly different/old positions. Could use a few more next tee signs especially on the longer walks for first timers. More benches.

Drainage - quite muddy on holes 2 and 6 which were also my least favorite holes on the course. Not much seclusion from other golfers or park users with some potential interference issues on busy days.
Other Thoughts: Jacobson park, I don't know why I want to pronounce it Yakobson, but I digress, this course was a lot of fun and I had the course to myself except for the dog parkers and walkers on a beautiful spring afternoon. The current avg rating of 3.75 is spot on IMO, and I've teetered back and forth between giving it a 3.5 or 4 rating, but the cons talked me down little. Having said that I'd still highly recommend this course to most players!

Great course

1    8/11/2017   8/13/2017
Review By: Junkyard_J
Pros: Well kept grounds and a very good mix of moderate to dense wooded areas with open fields and long fairways. Signs and maps are posted well and very descriptive. It's a challenging course that keeps you on your toes.
Cons: There are a few holes without signs and some tees are not in the best shape.

1    7/1/2017   7/2/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Jacobson is a very long, fun, challenging course that borders on greatness, but does have a few serious flaws that knock it down a peg. I feel like I'm being overly generous with a 3.5 rating considering some of the flaws, but the fact is, this course is so high on the fun factor, I felt like a 3.0 would be too low.

+ If you like long courses where you can see how big -- or noodlely -- your arm is, Jacobson does not disappoint. Coming in at over 7,000 feet, with several holes topping out at 400-feet plus (and a couple much longer than that), you have plenty of opportunities to rip.

+ Great mix of long, open holes with some extremely tight and technical holes (some still pretty long). The variety is great here. Accuracy and creativity are rewarded. Missing the fairways punishes you.

+ The elevation is outstanding. The big, rolling hills set up perfectly for downhill shots where you can watch the disc fly forever. It's fantastic.

+ I really enjoy courses in the par 60-65 range. Jacobson is par 62 with eight par 4's and ten par 3's. To score well on the par 4's, your drives and upshots have to be accurate. There aren't many (or any) tweener holes where you can make a birdie in spite of a poor drive or upshot.

+ Aesthetically, this course is great. The park, overall, and the rolling hills of the course, in particular, are beautiful.

+ Good tees and baskets.

+ Good tee signs on most holes.
Cons: Despite the awesome fun factor, length, and challenge here, there are some major issues, some correctable and some not:

- Safety is always my most important factor in a course rating. Unfortunately, there are a couple of holes that are too close to parking lots and people. In particular, the extremely long, downhill, par 4 12th hole is parallel to a park road and parking lot for the dog park. An errant tee shot -- which isn't hard to do if you flip your disc trying to rip a long drive -- could easily hit a parked car or park-goer. Holes 15 and 18 are also too close to park roads and/or picnic shelters. I don't know how any of these holes can be fixed other than possibly creating a mando on 12 to force you to go way left away from the road.

- The underbrush here is really bad in areas. I played in the summer, so hopefully that's about as bad as it gets. Lots of thorns and high grass make the risk of disc loss pretty high on the wooded holes. Cleaning this up would make a huge difference. (Easier said than done, I know.)

- There's are really long walks in between a couple of holes, particularly holes 6 and 7. You need to have a course map to navigate this part of the course as well as later, from hole 12 to 13. Some Next Tee signs would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I played two courses in Lexington, Veterans (which is ranked in the top 25 in Kentucky on DGCR) and Jacobson, which is rated higher, but doesn't have enough reviews to get on the Top Courses list. Jacobson was way better. From that small sample size, if your time is limited in Lexington, play Jacobson.

A Walk in the Park

2-4    5/18/2017   5/22/2017
Review By: PuzzledGuy
Pros: Jacobson Disk Golf Course is a moderately challenging course that is definitely worth playing. It's a long course with more than a few opportunities to throw big shots, but dips in and out of the woods a few times to demand controlled shaping of lines.

The setting is absolutely gorgeous. Lush, green rolling hills, tight tunnels through the woods, a stand of pines that feels open and constrained at the same time.

There are eight par fours on the course, with most of them being legitimate fours. One or two are probably just a bit under four.

There are concrete tee pads on every hole and signs on most (missing signs possibly due to vandalism, as there is evidence of missing signs). The signs that exist are well marked and show the direction to the next tee pad (and you'll want to make note of that information).
Cons: This course is located in a beautiful park, and as a result it is very heavily used. This isn't a problem on most holes, but I did have to modify my shot selection in a couple of situations due to other park users.

Better indications of directions to the next tee pad would be helpful in a couple of situations where there are long walks.

Most of the holes felt fair, even if difficult at times. The exception would be hole number seven, which didn't seem to have a real line that I could find. You can't see the basket of the tee, there are two mandos, followed by lots of small trees with no clear path to the basket.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course and would recommend it to anyone how finds themselves near Lexington. If you've got a big arm, you'll appreciate the long fairways. If you've got good control, you'll love the opportunity to shape some challenging shots through the woods.

I would have rated the course more highly if there hadn't been so many non-disc golfers on a few of the fairways. It wasn't the worst problem, but it did detract from the overall experience.

Bluegrass Beauty

1    11/6/2016   12/22/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Jacobson Park DGC plays long, it is a par 62 with eight par 4's. While some would not list this as a pro, I like it in this instance. They are legit par 4 holes, but played right, they can be tamed. My only regret is I didn't play them right. Ok, some of the par 3's gave me trouble, too.

As far as tees, baskets, and signs go, Jacobson is doing just fine. Great signs leave little doubt what's going on when you step into the box.

And when it comes to natural features that are common to really good courses, it has most of them. Weather flat or on slope, wooded or mostly open, long or short, it is all there. The thing I liked is the consistently tough but not impossible fairways. No gimmies, but always rewarding great throws and a solid short game.

You see the variations of the park terrain right away. Hole one is long, but it is a par 4, and really has a lot of airspace to use, with woods to the left and scattered trees on the right. A nice warm up hole, but I came out of the gate with 2 bad throws, a missed putt and a bogey.

Move on to hole 2, also long, also par 4, but this time over the stream and through the woods. These woods are fairly thick, but there is a clear line to hit the landing zone for a clear approach. Result another 2 putt bogey.

Hole 3, par 4 again, playing through mature pines planted on a grid. This gives a long drive in an alley that has a low ceiling and may be 30' wide. Not easy, and I missed another putt, but at least I put a par on my card.

And this continues. A couple more in the piney plot, back into the woods, little more open, little more woods, and back into the great wide open for most of the final
5 holes.

I thought 4 and 5 were good fun. 4 is shorter, but once again set amongst the tall pines. Stay off the lumber and you should do well. I bonked, 3 over. Hole 5 is the longest hole, and was my best of the day. It has scattered trees that leave plenty of room if you stay middle to left side. Unfortunately I turned the driver solidly to the right, back into the pine grid of death,and astoundingly carried without contact until it hit the ground. So I got nice distance, but was left with a tricky shot out of the trees back to the fairway, and still a long way to go. Same disc, same shot, this time on purpose though. Darned if it didn't work, leaving me a 25' putt for bird, and I made it! My only good putt of the round.

I quickly surrendered the gains on hole 6, sadly. That kind of a day. Shorter hole through the woods that curves to the right. Another 2 putt bogey, back to 4 over.

I'll spare you detailed accounts of each hole, but I did manage another birdie at hole 9, a more open par 4. I also double bogeyed the shortest hole, with a 5 on hole 13. UGH! Birdie the longest, and botch the shortest terribly.

What I like about this is a course that will frustrate you, but not leave you feeling defeated. Most of my overs were the result of bad putting, and I know I could score much better after a few more reps. Even with a poor day with the putter, was really enjoying the different looks from one hole to the next.

Other holes I really liked were 10 and 12. 10 is fairly simple, a nice short hole with mature trees on either side of the fairway. I mostly liked the way it was framed standing on the tee. 12 is long, and 95% open, until you get near the pin. It is on top of a hill, that slides quickly down the other side if you throw too far. I put a good hit on the drive, and another one on the approach.
Thought I was just right, and would be set up for an easy 3, but skipped past and had a comeback 40' up the hill.

18 is an interesting closer, as well. It plays up a steady slope, but the pin is atop a 10-12' tall mound, with the road to the left and clusters of trees on the right. Not long, but bad rolls and OB are a distinct possibility.
Cons: Some of the walks between holes are longish, and take an odd turn here and there. Most notably, between holes 6 and 7. If you walk to the walking path after 6, turn left and follow it around the bend. The tee for hole 7 is very near the tee for hole 10, so pay attention to avoid missing holes and backtracking.

There were several people on or near the course, that were not playing disc golf, and I had to wait as they wandered through. It was a Sunday afternoon, with really nice autumn weather, I guess I don't blame them.

A couple with two small kids followed me into the trees after my drive on hole 2, and were mulling around on hole 5 as I came back through.

An older couple walking and talking on the trail were under my line at 11, and moving very slowly, pausing every five steps to exchange a few words. I could have thrown a direct line, but I wanted the hyzer over the path, so I waited.

Then there was a dude taking pictures sitting in the middle of the fairway on hole 14. He did scoot over after a moment, only to stop again on 15, forcing me wait to throw that drive also.
Other Thoughts: I really liked Jacobson DGC, and left wanting more. I had a bad 3 putt on hole 15, and numerous other putts missed along the way. If I were able to clean up some of those, and replace a couple of errant drives and bad approaches, finishing under par is an attainable goal.

I did have a good time, and a few really good throws. Would love to return for another crack at this one. But I had to cover a lot of miles that day, and still wanted to get a round in Bowling Green, too.

Reminds me of Patriots Park in Georgia, a little bit. A very solid course, that will provide a good challenge to the average guy like me. And on a good day, and with a bit of luck, going under par is not just a dream.

Great mix of everything!

2-4    9/14/2016   9/15/2016
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: Jacobson Park is an extremely well-maintained park with a large diversity of terrain, elevation, distances, and shots. Baskets/tees/signs are all fairly new and in great condition. It truly has a little bit of everything! There's wide open bombs, tight woods, a field of evenly spaced trimmed up pine rows, open-then-tight holes, risk/reward pin placements. Each hole has personality. #2 is tough but fair, bridging the woods to the open, then into the pines. #3 is a beautiful straight shot through the pine rows. #7 is an Idlewild-tough par 4 that requires a well placed drive around a bend then threading the needle 100ft to the basket. #12 is a downhill 680 ft'r with a risky basket placement. #17 is a great open-to-tight downhill shot.
Cons: Navigation can be tough. There are several long walks between holes (especially between 6 and 7, 11 and 12)! Always be sure to note the "next tee" arrows on each tee sign. #6 is your poke-and-hope hole. It was a really tight 280ft'r that was so randomly dense that there didn't appear to be any line to the basket. If a few more trees were removed, this could be a fun one. You could also nitpick that a few holes were a little vanilla like 11, 14, 15, 16. They had more subtle challenges but weren't very creative. In the 2 times I've played, there were other park users hanging out in the pine rows near the fairways. However, the rest of the course seems devoted strictly to disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Despite a few vanilla holes and some lengthy marches to the next tee, Jacobson Park is a really nice play, especially considering the variety and the immaculate upkeep!

Jacobson Park DGC

1    6/2/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: 1234
Pros: -Beautiful park
-well maintained course and park
-restrooms available
-nice course layout
-great length of fairways
-most tees are easily located as directions to next tees are illustrated at last tee. FYI this was missing at some tees
-great location to businesses and major thoroughfares
-elevation changes were moderate and was used to make play interesting
-several holes could be considered signature at other courses
Cons: -May be too long for beginner/can discourage beginning players
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in a beautiful park that makes for a nice outing.
I cannot wait to go back asap.

Concrete pads starting to be installed!

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Beautiful park
Several unique holes
New Discatchers that are easy to see
Good mix of length and elevation
Cons: There are some weird walks where next tee signs would be helpful.

Hole 2's fairway was being used often as a walking path by non-disc golfers.

Lake never comes into play.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. Gravel was being dumped into forms for concrete teepads as I was playing. The couple of long walks to next tees didn't bother me, because every hole was different. There are some very unique holes here. I really liked how it ended with a short uphill hole 18 on top of a mound for roll away misses. Easily the best course in Lexington.

Long and winding fun!!

1    10/5/2014   10/6/2014
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: A great mix of holes with some that you can let loose with out getting into to much trouble.
Well maintained.
Well defined fairways which makes up for super long holes that are hard for weaker arms like myself.
Even the weak arms should enjoy the open holes though because you can let it fly with out worry for the most part.
The rough was not to bad. You could have a miss fire and pretty much find your disc easily in the brush.
Cons: The teepads are less to be desired. I am not big on rubber pads but that was not enough for me to make it a lower rating than what I did.
Hole two seems as though it was originally a place for people to walk which they still do. I would think some Disc Golf Course Beware signs should be in order. We noticed several families with smaller kids walking through which could lead to a conflict if you know what I mean.
Definitely need some next tee signs but until then take a map I am glad we did. I know they have direction arrows on the tee signs but by the time you get through some of the longer holes you think to yourself oh I forgot what direction it said.
Noticed some holes missing tee signs and pads. 12 is one that came to mind unless the pad had been moved and we did not realize it and was not marked on the map.
#13 teepad is in bad shape.
Other Thoughts: I really struggled to give this course a 3.5 because i felt it is just a few things away from a four. As others said it would have been nice to bring in the lake but the layout of the park definitely seems to make that impossible.
This being a new course it definitely has the potential to rival some of the other big courses in KY. Will it take over an idlewild probably not but it definitely will be close to that class.
As my title says be ready for a long and winding road through the park with this course.