Lexington, KY
Uploaded By: goosefraba1 Hole #5

Bluegrass Beauty

1    11/6/2016   12/22/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Jacobson Park DGC plays long, it is a par 62 with eight par 4's. While some would not list this as a pro, I like it in this instance. They are legit par 4 holes, but played right, they can be tamed. My only regret is I didn't play them right. Ok, some of the par 3's gave me trouble, too.

As far as tees, baskets, and signs go, Jacobson is doing just fine. Great signs leave little doubt what's going on when you step into the box.

And when it comes to natural features that are common to really good courses, it has most of them. Weather flat or on slope, wooded or mostly open, long or short, it is all there. The thing I liked is the consistently tough but not impossible fairways. No gimmies, but always rewarding great throws and a solid short game.

You see the variations of the park terrain right away. Hole one is long, but it is a par 4, and really has a lot of airspace to use, with woods to the left and scattered trees on the right. A nice warm up hole, but I came out of the gate with 2 bad throws, a missed putt and a bogey.

Move on to hole 2, also long, also par 4, but this time over the stream and through the woods. These woods are fairly thick, but there is a clear line to hit the landing zone for a clear approach. Result another 2 putt bogey.

Hole 3, par 4 again, playing through mature pines planted on a grid. This gives a long drive in an alley that has a low ceiling and may be 30' wide. Not easy, and I missed another putt, but at least I put a par on my card.

And this continues. A couple more in the piney plot, back into the woods, little more open, little more woods, and back into the great wide open for most of the final
5 holes.

I thought 4 and 5 were good fun. 4 is shorter, but once again set amongst the tall pines. Stay off the lumber and you should do well. I bonked, 3 over. Hole 5 is the longest hole, and was my best of the day. It has scattered trees that leave plenty of room if you stay middle to left side. Unfortunately I turned the driver solidly to the right, back into the pine grid of death,and astoundingly carried without contact until it hit the ground. So I got nice distance, but was left with a tricky shot out of the trees back to the fairway, and still a long way to go. Same disc, same shot, this time on purpose though. Darned if it didn't work, leaving me a 25' putt for bird, and I made it! My only good putt of the round.

I quickly surrendered the gains on hole 6, sadly. That kind of a day. Shorter hole through the woods that curves to the right. Another 2 putt bogey, back to 4 over.

I'll spare you detailed accounts of each hole, but I did manage another birdie at hole 9, a more open par 4. I also double bogeyed the shortest hole, with a 5 on hole 13. UGH! Birdie the longest, and botch the shortest terribly.

What I like about this is a course that will frustrate you, but not leave you feeling defeated. Most of my overs were the result of bad putting, and I know I could score much better after a few more reps. Even with a poor day with the putter, was really enjoying the different looks from one hole to the next.

Other holes I really liked were 10 and 12. 10 is fairly simple, a nice short hole with mature trees on either side of the fairway. I mostly liked the way it was framed standing on the tee. 12 is long, and 95% open, until you get near the pin. It is on top of a hill, that slides quickly down the other side if you throw too far. I put a good hit on the drive, and another one on the approach.
Thought I was just right, and would be set up for an easy 3, but skipped past and had a comeback 40' up the hill.

18 is an interesting closer, as well. It plays up a steady slope, but the pin is atop a 10-12' tall mound, with the road to the left and clusters of trees on the right. Not long, but bad rolls and OB are a distinct possibility.
Cons: Some of the walks between holes are longish, and take an odd turn here and there. Most notably, between holes 6 and 7. If you walk to the walking path after 6, turn left and follow it around the bend. The tee for hole 7 is very near the tee for hole 10, so pay attention to avoid missing holes and backtracking.

There were several people on or near the course, that were not playing disc golf, and I had to wait as they wandered through. It was a Sunday afternoon, with really nice autumn weather, I guess I don't blame them.

A couple with two small kids followed me into the trees after my drive on hole 2, and were mulling around on hole 5 as I came back through.

An older couple walking and talking on the trail were under my line at 11, and moving very slowly, pausing every five steps to exchange a few words. I could have thrown a direct line, but I wanted the hyzer over the path, so I waited.

Then there was a dude taking pictures sitting in the middle of the fairway on hole 14. He did scoot over after a moment, only to stop again on 15, forcing me wait to throw that drive also.
Other Thoughts: I really liked Jacobson DGC, and left wanting more. I had a bad 3 putt on hole 15, and numerous other putts missed along the way. If I were able to clean up some of those, and replace a couple of errant drives and bad approaches, finishing under par is an attainable goal.

I did have a good time, and a few really good throws. Would love to return for another crack at this one. But I had to cover a lot of miles that day, and still wanted to get a round in Bowling Green, too.

Reminds me of Patriots Park in Georgia, a little bit. A very solid course, that will provide a good challenge to the average guy like me. And on a good day, and with a bit of luck, going under par is not just a dream.

Great mix of everything!

2-4    9/14/2016   9/15/2016
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: Jacobson Park is an extremely well-maintained park with a large diversity of terrain, elevation, distances, and shots. Baskets/tees/signs are all fairly new and in great condition. It truly has a little bit of everything! There's wide open bombs, tight woods, a field of evenly spaced trimmed up pine rows, open-then-tight holes, risk/reward pin placements. Each hole has personality. #2 is tough but fair, bridging the woods to the open, then into the pines. #3 is a beautiful straight shot through the pine rows. #7 is an Idlewild-tough par 4 that requires a well placed drive around a bend then threading the needle 100ft to the basket. #12 is a downhill 680 ft'r with a risky basket placement. #17 is a great open-to-tight downhill shot.
Cons: Navigation can be tough. There are several long walks between holes (especially between 6 and 7, 11 and 12)! Always be sure to note the "next tee" arrows on each tee sign. #6 is your poke-and-hope hole. It was a really tight 280ft'r that was so randomly dense that there didn't appear to be any line to the basket. If a few more trees were removed, this could be a fun one. You could also nitpick that a few holes were a little vanilla like 11, 14, 15, 16. They had more subtle challenges but weren't very creative. In the 2 times I've played, there were other park users hanging out in the pine rows near the fairways. However, the rest of the course seems devoted strictly to disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Despite a few vanilla holes and some lengthy marches to the next tee, Jacobson Park is a really nice play, especially considering the variety and the immaculate upkeep!

Jacobson Park DGC

1    6/2/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: 1234
Pros: -Beautiful park
-well maintained course and park
-restrooms available
-nice course layout
-great length of fairways
-most tees are easily located as directions to next tees are illustrated at last tee. FYI this was missing at some tees
-great location to businesses and major thoroughfares
-elevation changes were moderate and was used to make play interesting
-several holes could be considered signature at other courses
Cons: -May be too long for beginner/can discourage beginning players
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in a beautiful park that makes for a nice outing.
I cannot wait to go back asap.

Concrete pads starting to be installed!

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Beautiful park
Several unique holes
New Discatchers that are easy to see
Good mix of length and elevation
Cons: There are some weird walks where next tee signs would be helpful.

Hole 2's fairway was being used often as a walking path by non-disc golfers.

Lake never comes into play.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. Gravel was being dumped into forms for concrete teepads as I was playing. The couple of long walks to next tees didn't bother me, because every hole was different. There are some very unique holes here. I really liked how it ended with a short uphill hole 18 on top of a mound for roll away misses. Easily the best course in Lexington.

Long and winding fun!!

1    10/5/2014   10/6/2014
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: A great mix of holes with some that you can let loose with out getting into to much trouble.
Well maintained.
Well defined fairways which makes up for super long holes that are hard for weaker arms like myself.
Even the weak arms should enjoy the open holes though because you can let it fly with out worry for the most part.
The rough was not to bad. You could have a miss fire and pretty much find your disc easily in the brush.
Cons: The teepads are less to be desired. I am not big on rubber pads but that was not enough for me to make it a lower rating than what I did.
Hole two seems as though it was originally a place for people to walk which they still do. I would think some Disc Golf Course Beware signs should be in order. We noticed several families with smaller kids walking through which could lead to a conflict if you know what I mean.
Definitely need some next tee signs but until then take a map I am glad we did. I know they have direction arrows on the tee signs but by the time you get through some of the longer holes you think to yourself oh I forgot what direction it said.
Noticed some holes missing tee signs and pads. 12 is one that came to mind unless the pad had been moved and we did not realize it and was not marked on the map.
#13 teepad is in bad shape.
Other Thoughts: I really struggled to give this course a 3.5 because i felt it is just a few things away from a four. As others said it would have been nice to bring in the lake but the layout of the park definitely seems to make that impossible.
This being a new course it definitely has the potential to rival some of the other big courses in KY. Will it take over an idlewild probably not but it definitely will be close to that class.
As my title says be ready for a long and winding road through the park with this course.

Liquor Barn & Disc Golf

1    9/19/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: kinger
Pros:
~Diverse mix of holes
~Good rubber tees
~Tee signs w/ next tee information
~Beautiful expansive park, well maintained
~Moderate elevation changes
~Nice new baskets
Cons:
~Could use next tee indicators on baskets or additional signage
~Several long gaps between holes
~Rubber tee pads are nice, but concrete is the best
~Benches & trash cans along the course would be nice
A long weekend vacation in Tennessee had me passing through Lexington late morning. After a long stop at the local Liquor Barn for some craft beers I found my way to Jacobson Park for a round of golf. This park and it's surrounding area is fairly upscale, and the park was clean and excellently maintained overall. Found the parking by the practice basket and made my way to the first tee. This course contains a great mix of holes and shots with a mix of lengths and technicality. Wooded in the beginning then opening up to some long bombs with a little bit of everything mixed throughout. The wooded holes in the beginning of the course are wonderful. No crazy elevation changes, but enough undulation to add to the diversity this course offers. Plenty of park goers around, but never too close for comfort.....ample space abounds for everyone to enjoy this park. Baskets are new and the rubber tee pads provided adequate footing. My biggest issue was lack of directions, indicators, and/or signs between baskets and tees. The tee signs indicate "next tee" but there are a few major gaps between holes that created difficult navigation. I kept the course map on my phone which helped me get around tremendously. I realize this course is new, and perhaps not finsihed. As it is, it's very, very good and anyone who calls this their home course should be proud. Absolutely beautiful place to throw plastic.

You up for a challenge?

1    8/23/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: This new course on the south side of Lexington has been getting some buzz in their disc golf community for good reason: it succeeds in its goal of being a challenging, tournament style 18 hole course geared toward bigger arms, and compares well with courses like Harbin and Mt. Airy (in my home town of Cincinnati). With ground-flush, grippy rubber tee pads and new DisCatcher baskets, adequate parking, a practice basket, and a new kiosk for a course map, there are nicely detailed, small tee signs at each hole. And the hole distances are scaled to the upper half of tournament players, who seem to enjoy showing their mastery of the longer tee shots needed on the seven holes here over 400 feet (there are two over 600!)

Even the holes on the front nine which use the woods more intensely, demand control to go with a good tee shot to score well. For us weaker arms, there are only a few deuce opportunities, because even the shorter holes frequently demand smart shot selection (rather than trying to 'go for it'). It feels like the kind of course that will increasingly reward locals and others who will get to play it often, and learn its nuances. And as it weathers in over the next few years, some of the currently frustrating holes (I'm talking to you, 2 & 7!) will open up a little.

Expect a workout here. Not only are you covering over 7000 feet of throws, there is some hiking of the rolling terrain between the holes, as the course wends its way to three different loops, and parts of the sprawling park. I noted there is an alternate tee on the mando-bending hole 8, and hope that there will be some alternate (shorter) tees throughout in the future, to make the course more accessible to the lower divisions.
Cons: The first thing I want to say is that it's a shame they didn't (couldn't?) bring the beautiful lake into play (or view) for the course. And given the spaces around the fenced dog park, the walks from 1 to 2, 6 to 7 (!), 11 through 13, and even 17 to 18, really add some steps to the old pedometer. I'm sure there'll be 'next tee' signage, but for now, you really want to bring the map, or play with a guide.

Speaking of the dog park, you'd be surprised how many dog folks are out on the course, as if they don't want to use the fenced in areas for their pets. I waited on non-players on four of the first six holes, and even skipped a tee shot on 2 because a couple of dog owners were letting their puppies swim in the pooling water (at the start of the fairway) on that hot, August mid-day. I wouldn't be too sure they'll get the drift that there's now a DG course here, so use caution before you throw.
Other Thoughts: Expect frustration if you think all DG holes should be 'par 3'. If someone ever deuces hole 2, it should make the news. Likewise, hole 7 is a blind, complete S-bending design that will likely tempt the huge arms to go up and over, while the rest of us struggle to find the 'fair'-way through. The shortest hole on the course (13, at 237') bends frustratingly, as well. This combination of technicality, going along with the big D, more open holes, gives Jacobson variety and replay potential, for those folks who like the challenge.

The park is easy to find, with a huge stone gated entrance, but to get to the disc golf course, drive down to the bend of the lake, and take a right, up the lane past the shelter for the DG parking lot, kiosk, and practice basket. Hole 1 starts downhill across the road.

Good, but will be Great!!!

1    8/18/2014   8/18/2014
Review By: jbrian24
Pros: I was able to play this course for the first time today. I was not disappointed in the least. Hole 1 isn't bad, but then you are thrown into a gauntlet of holes that will really test your line throwing ability. A bad throw on any of these could easily add 2-3 strokes to your score. This to me makes it fun. Hole 12 is a blast, you just grip it, rip it, and watch it sail forever.
Cons: Couple of tees missing, need benches and trashcans. The previous review lets you know that all of that is in process. My chief complaint from someone that knew nothing about the course is that it could use markers in several spots to point you to the next teepad. A couple boards with the course map in the right spot would fix this as well.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a very good course and I will continue to play it in the future whenever the chance presents itself. With the improvements already in the works and maybe a couple others and this will be a premier course in central KY. Well done job so far to all the guys designing and putting work into this course.

Work in progress

5+    8/10/2014   8/12/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: Let me preface my review by stating that I am a BDGA Board member, I work on this course regularly, and that I helped redesign holes 6, 7, and 8.

This course has the potential to become one of the best courses in Kentucky. It sits on a beautiful piece of property in the jewel of Lexington's park system, Jacobson Park. When you play the course, you should quickly realize that this could really be something special. Unfortunately, we have to also keep the other park users in mind. We would have loved to have used the area near the lake, but we just could not get the permission.

Taking that in mind..... this course was built with the 950 rated player in mind. It is just a really difficult course if you can't throw with controlled distance.

I like to think of this course divided into 3. The first 6 holes are monsters in terms of scoring separation. They tend to be very long and technical holes that make you earn every single stroke gained. Without divulging into every detail of every hole, I will just say that holes 2,3, and 5 are gems on this course. They will continue to get better with some tree removal from parks. Holes 3-5 play through a mature pine grove.... which is really hard to find in central kentucky.

Holes 7-12 play as more open and less technical than the front 6 (with the exception of hole 7). You still need to hit your line, but you have more room for error. Controlled distance. Hole 10 is another beauty that reminds me of an Idlewild hole... totally natural fairway. Hole 12 let's you test your pure distance.... just watch out for OB right.

The back 6 play as even more open than the middle 6. Here, the wind will test you for sure.
Cons: This course has so much potential. I am just hoping that the parks system will allow us to make the needed changes. I know that there are plans for trees to line the road on holes 11 and 12. This should make the holes more difficult, and force a shaped shot. Also, we hope to get trees to separate hole 14 from hole 16. Just still a ton of work to do there.

We currently have no benches placed (there are plans) and no trashcans (parks has them, they just have not been placed).

Teepads are starting to break down... again we plan on having the replaced with permanent concrete pads hopefully by Lexington Open 2015.

Other Thoughts: As the course stands, I give it a 4.0.... it is a good course.... but it could one day be a great course. With concrete pads, trashcans, benches, and more trees for the open fairways, this course could become a 4.5 for me.... but that will take people making it to work days and parks letting us move some trees.