Lexington, KY
Jacobson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: goosefraba1 Hole #15

1    7/1/2017   7/2/2017
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Jacobson is a very long, fun, challenging course that borders on greatness, but does have a few serious flaws that knock it down a peg. I feel like I'm being overly generous with a 3.5 rating considering some of the flaws, but the fact is, this course is so high on the fun factor, I felt like a 3.0 would be too low.

+ If you like long courses where you can see how big -- or noodlely -- your arm is, Jacobson does not disappoint. Coming in at over 7,000 feet, with several holes topping out at 400-feet plus (and a couple much longer than that), you have plenty of opportunities to rip.

+ Great mix of long, open holes with some extremely tight and technical holes (some still pretty long). The variety is great here. Accuracy and creativity are rewarded. Missing the fairways punishes you.

+ The elevation is outstanding. The big, rolling hills set up perfectly for downhill shots where you can watch the disc fly forever. It's fantastic.

+ I really enjoy courses in the par 60-65 range. Jacobson is par 62 with eight par 4's and ten par 3's. To score well on the par 4's, your drives and upshots have to be accurate. There aren't many (or any) tweener holes where you can make a birdie in spite of a poor drive or upshot.

+ Aesthetically, this course is great. The park, overall, and the rolling hills of the course, in particular, are beautiful.

+ Good tees and baskets.

+ Good tee signs on most holes.
Cons: Despite the awesome fun factor, length, and challenge here, there are some major issues, some correctable and some not:

- Safety is always my most important factor in a course rating. Unfortunately, there are a couple of holes that are too close to parking lots and people. In particular, the extremely long, downhill, par 4 12th hole is parallel to a park road and parking lot for the dog park. An errant tee shot -- which isn't hard to do if you flip your disc trying to rip a long drive -- could easily hit a parked car or park-goer. Holes 15 and 18 are also too close to park roads and/or picnic shelters. I don't know how any of these holes can be fixed other than possibly creating a mando on 12 to force you to go way left away from the road.

- The underbrush here is really bad in areas. I played in the summer, so hopefully that's about as bad as it gets. Lots of thorns and high grass make the risk of disc loss pretty high on the wooded holes. Cleaning this up would make a huge difference. (Easier said than done, I know.)

- There's are really long walks in between a couple of holes, particularly holes 6 and 7. You need to have a course map to navigate this part of the course as well as later, from hole 12 to 13. Some Next Tee signs would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I played two courses in Lexington, Veterans (which is ranked in the top 25 in Kentucky on DGCR) and Jacobson, which is rated higher, but doesn't have enough reviews to get on the Top Courses list. Jacobson was way better. From that small sample size, if your time is limited in Lexington, play Jacobson.

A Walk in the Park

2-4    5/18/2017   5/22/2017
Review By: PuzzledGuy
Pros: Jacobson Disk Golf Course is a moderately challenging course that is definitely worth playing. It's a long course with more than a few opportunities to throw big shots, but dips in and out of the woods a few times to demand controlled shaping of lines.

The setting is absolutely gorgeous. Lush, green rolling hills, tight tunnels through the woods, a stand of pines that feels open and constrained at the same time.

There are eight par fours on the course, with most of them being legitimate fours. One or two are probably just a bit under four.

There are concrete tee pads on every hole and signs on most (missing signs possibly due to vandalism, as there is evidence of missing signs). The signs that exist are well marked and show the direction to the next tee pad (and you'll want to make note of that information).
Cons: This course is located in a beautiful park, and as a result it is very heavily used. This isn't a problem on most holes, but I did have to modify my shot selection in a couple of situations due to other park users.

Better indications of directions to the next tee pad would be helpful in a couple of situations where there are long walks.

Most of the holes felt fair, even if difficult at times. The exception would be hole number seven, which didn't seem to have a real line that I could find. You can't see the basket of the tee, there are two mandos, followed by lots of small trees with no clear path to the basket.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course and would recommend it to anyone how finds themselves near Lexington. If you've got a big arm, you'll appreciate the long fairways. If you've got good control, you'll love the opportunity to shape some challenging shots through the woods.

I would have rated the course more highly if there hadn't been so many non-disc golfers on a few of the fairways. It wasn't the worst problem, but it did detract from the overall experience.

Bluegrass Beauty

1    11/6/2016   12/22/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Jacobson Park DGC plays long, it is a par 62 with eight par 4's. While some would not list this as a pro, I like it in this instance. They are legit par 4 holes, but played right, they can be tamed. My only regret is I didn't play them right. Ok, some of the par 3's gave me trouble, too.

As far as tees, baskets, and signs go, Jacobson is doing just fine. Great signs leave little doubt what's going on when you step into the box.

And when it comes to natural features that are common to really good courses, it has most of them. Weather flat or on slope, wooded or mostly open, long or short, it is all there. The thing I liked is the consistently tough but not impossible fairways. No gimmies, but always rewarding great throws and a solid short game.

You see the variations of the park terrain right away. Hole one is long, but it is a par 4, and really has a lot of airspace to use, with woods to the left and scattered trees on the right. A nice warm up hole, but I came out of the gate with 2 bad throws, a missed putt and a bogey.

Move on to hole 2, also long, also par 4, but this time over the stream and through the woods. These woods are fairly thick, but there is a clear line to hit the landing zone for a clear approach. Result another 2 putt bogey.

Hole 3, par 4 again, playing through mature pines planted on a grid. This gives a long drive in an alley that has a low ceiling and may be 30' wide. Not easy, and I missed another putt, but at least I put a par on my card.

And this continues. A couple more in the piney plot, back into the woods, little more open, little more woods, and back into the great wide open for most of the final
5 holes.

I thought 4 and 5 were good fun. 4 is shorter, but once again set amongst the tall pines. Stay off the lumber and you should do well. I bonked, 3 over. Hole 5 is the longest hole, and was my best of the day. It has scattered trees that leave plenty of room if you stay middle to left side. Unfortunately I turned the driver solidly to the right, back into the pine grid of death,and astoundingly carried without contact until it hit the ground. So I got nice distance, but was left with a tricky shot out of the trees back to the fairway, and still a long way to go. Same disc, same shot, this time on purpose though. Darned if it didn't work, leaving me a 25' putt for bird, and I made it! My only good putt of the round.

I quickly surrendered the gains on hole 6, sadly. That kind of a day. Shorter hole through the woods that curves to the right. Another 2 putt bogey, back to 4 over.

I'll spare you detailed accounts of each hole, but I did manage another birdie at hole 9, a more open par 4. I also double bogeyed the shortest hole, with a 5 on hole 13. UGH! Birdie the longest, and botch the shortest terribly.

What I like about this is a course that will frustrate you, but not leave you feeling defeated. Most of my overs were the result of bad putting, and I know I could score much better after a few more reps. Even with a poor day with the putter, was really enjoying the different looks from one hole to the next.

Other holes I really liked were 10 and 12. 10 is fairly simple, a nice short hole with mature trees on either side of the fairway. I mostly liked the way it was framed standing on the tee. 12 is long, and 95% open, until you get near the pin. It is on top of a hill, that slides quickly down the other side if you throw too far. I put a good hit on the drive, and another one on the approach.
Thought I was just right, and would be set up for an easy 3, but skipped past and had a comeback 40' up the hill.

18 is an interesting closer, as well. It plays up a steady slope, but the pin is atop a 10-12' tall mound, with the road to the left and clusters of trees on the right. Not long, but bad rolls and OB are a distinct possibility.
Cons: Some of the walks between holes are longish, and take an odd turn here and there. Most notably, between holes 6 and 7. If you walk to the walking path after 6, turn left and follow it around the bend. The tee for hole 7 is very near the tee for hole 10, so pay attention to avoid missing holes and backtracking.

There were several people on or near the course, that were not playing disc golf, and I had to wait as they wandered through. It was a Sunday afternoon, with really nice autumn weather, I guess I don't blame them.

A couple with two small kids followed me into the trees after my drive on hole 2, and were mulling around on hole 5 as I came back through.

An older couple walking and talking on the trail were under my line at 11, and moving very slowly, pausing every five steps to exchange a few words. I could have thrown a direct line, but I wanted the hyzer over the path, so I waited.

Then there was a dude taking pictures sitting in the middle of the fairway on hole 14. He did scoot over after a moment, only to stop again on 15, forcing me wait to throw that drive also.
Other Thoughts: I really liked Jacobson DGC, and left wanting more. I had a bad 3 putt on hole 15, and numerous other putts missed along the way. If I were able to clean up some of those, and replace a couple of errant drives and bad approaches, finishing under par is an attainable goal.

I did have a good time, and a few really good throws. Would love to return for another crack at this one. But I had to cover a lot of miles that day, and still wanted to get a round in Bowling Green, too.

Reminds me of Patriots Park in Georgia, a little bit. A very solid course, that will provide a good challenge to the average guy like me. And on a good day, and with a bit of luck, going under par is not just a dream.

Great mix of everything!

2-4    9/14/2016   9/15/2016
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: Jacobson Park is an extremely well-maintained park with a large diversity of terrain, elevation, distances, and shots. Baskets/tees/signs are all fairly new and in great condition. It truly has a little bit of everything! There's wide open bombs, tight woods, a field of evenly spaced trimmed up pine rows, open-then-tight holes, risk/reward pin placements. Each hole has personality. #2 is tough but fair, bridging the woods to the open, then into the pines. #3 is a beautiful straight shot through the pine rows. #7 is an Idlewild-tough par 4 that requires a well placed drive around a bend then threading the needle 100ft to the basket. #12 is a downhill 680 ft'r with a risky basket placement. #17 is a great open-to-tight downhill shot.
Cons: Navigation can be tough. There are several long walks between holes (especially between 6 and 7, 11 and 12)! Always be sure to note the "next tee" arrows on each tee sign. #6 is your poke-and-hope hole. It was a really tight 280ft'r that was so randomly dense that there didn't appear to be any line to the basket. If a few more trees were removed, this could be a fun one. You could also nitpick that a few holes were a little vanilla like 11, 14, 15, 16. They had more subtle challenges but weren't very creative. In the 2 times I've played, there were other park users hanging out in the pine rows near the fairways. However, the rest of the course seems devoted strictly to disc golf.
Other Thoughts: Despite a few vanilla holes and some lengthy marches to the next tee, Jacobson Park is a really nice play, especially considering the variety and the immaculate upkeep!

Jacobson Park DGC

1    6/2/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: 1234
Pros: -Beautiful park
-well maintained course and park
-restrooms available
-nice course layout
-great length of fairways
-most tees are easily located as directions to next tees are illustrated at last tee. FYI this was missing at some tees
-great location to businesses and major thoroughfares
-elevation changes were moderate and was used to make play interesting
-several holes could be considered signature at other courses
Cons: -May be too long for beginner/can discourage beginning players
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in a beautiful park that makes for a nice outing.
I cannot wait to go back asap.

Concrete pads starting to be installed!

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Beautiful park
Several unique holes
New Discatchers that are easy to see
Good mix of length and elevation
Cons: There are some weird walks where next tee signs would be helpful.

Hole 2's fairway was being used often as a walking path by non-disc golfers.

Lake never comes into play.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. Gravel was being dumped into forms for concrete teepads as I was playing. The couple of long walks to next tees didn't bother me, because every hole was different. There are some very unique holes here. I really liked how it ended with a short uphill hole 18 on top of a mound for roll away misses. Easily the best course in Lexington.

Long and winding fun!!

1    10/5/2014   10/6/2014
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: A great mix of holes with some that you can let loose with out getting into to much trouble.
Well maintained.
Well defined fairways which makes up for super long holes that are hard for weaker arms like myself.
Even the weak arms should enjoy the open holes though because you can let it fly with out worry for the most part.
The rough was not to bad. You could have a miss fire and pretty much find your disc easily in the brush.
Cons: The teepads are less to be desired. I am not big on rubber pads but that was not enough for me to make it a lower rating than what I did.
Hole two seems as though it was originally a place for people to walk which they still do. I would think some Disc Golf Course Beware signs should be in order. We noticed several families with smaller kids walking through which could lead to a conflict if you know what I mean.
Definitely need some next tee signs but until then take a map I am glad we did. I know they have direction arrows on the tee signs but by the time you get through some of the longer holes you think to yourself oh I forgot what direction it said.
Noticed some holes missing tee signs and pads. 12 is one that came to mind unless the pad had been moved and we did not realize it and was not marked on the map.
#13 teepad is in bad shape.
Other Thoughts: I really struggled to give this course a 3.5 because i felt it is just a few things away from a four. As others said it would have been nice to bring in the lake but the layout of the park definitely seems to make that impossible.
This being a new course it definitely has the potential to rival some of the other big courses in KY. Will it take over an idlewild probably not but it definitely will be close to that class.
As my title says be ready for a long and winding road through the park with this course.

Liquor Barn & Disc Golf

1    9/19/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: kinger
Pros:
~Diverse mix of holes
~Good rubber tees
~Tee signs w/ next tee information
~Beautiful expansive park, well maintained
~Moderate elevation changes
~Nice new baskets
Cons:
~Could use next tee indicators on baskets or additional signage
~Several long gaps between holes
~Rubber tee pads are nice, but concrete is the best
~Benches & trash cans along the course would be nice
A long weekend vacation in Tennessee had me passing through Lexington late morning. After a long stop at the local Liquor Barn for some craft beers I found my way to Jacobson Park for a round of golf. This park and it's surrounding area is fairly upscale, and the park was clean and excellently maintained overall. Found the parking by the practice basket and made my way to the first tee. This course contains a great mix of holes and shots with a mix of lengths and technicality. Wooded in the beginning then opening up to some long bombs with a little bit of everything mixed throughout. The wooded holes in the beginning of the course are wonderful. No crazy elevation changes, but enough undulation to add to the diversity this course offers. Plenty of park goers around, but never too close for comfort.....ample space abounds for everyone to enjoy this park. Baskets are new and the rubber tee pads provided adequate footing. My biggest issue was lack of directions, indicators, and/or signs between baskets and tees. The tee signs indicate "next tee" but there are a few major gaps between holes that created difficult navigation. I kept the course map on my phone which helped me get around tremendously. I realize this course is new, and perhaps not finsihed. As it is, it's very, very good and anyone who calls this their home course should be proud. Absolutely beautiful place to throw plastic.

You up for a challenge?

1    8/23/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: This new course on the south side of Lexington has been getting some buzz in their disc golf community for good reason: it succeeds in its goal of being a challenging, tournament style 18 hole course geared toward bigger arms, and compares well with courses like Harbin and Mt. Airy (in my home town of Cincinnati). With ground-flush, grippy rubber tee pads and new DisCatcher baskets, adequate parking, a practice basket, and a new kiosk for a course map, there are nicely detailed, small tee signs at each hole. And the hole distances are scaled to the upper half of tournament players, who seem to enjoy showing their mastery of the longer tee shots needed on the seven holes here over 400 feet (there are two over 600!)

Even the holes on the front nine which use the woods more intensely, demand control to go with a good tee shot to score well. For us weaker arms, there are only a few deuce opportunities, because even the shorter holes frequently demand smart shot selection (rather than trying to 'go for it'). It feels like the kind of course that will increasingly reward locals and others who will get to play it often, and learn its nuances. And as it weathers in over the next few years, some of the currently frustrating holes (I'm talking to you, 2 & 7!) will open up a little.

Expect a workout here. Not only are you covering over 7000 feet of throws, there is some hiking of the rolling terrain between the holes, as the course wends its way to three different loops, and parts of the sprawling park. I noted there is an alternate tee on the mando-bending hole 8, and hope that there will be some alternate (shorter) tees throughout in the future, to make the course more accessible to the lower divisions.
Cons: The first thing I want to say is that it's a shame they didn't (couldn't?) bring the beautiful lake into play (or view) for the course. And given the spaces around the fenced dog park, the walks from 1 to 2, 6 to 7 (!), 11 through 13, and even 17 to 18, really add some steps to the old pedometer. I'm sure there'll be 'next tee' signage, but for now, you really want to bring the map, or play with a guide.

Speaking of the dog park, you'd be surprised how many dog folks are out on the course, as if they don't want to use the fenced in areas for their pets. I waited on non-players on four of the first six holes, and even skipped a tee shot on 2 because a couple of dog owners were letting their puppies swim in the pooling water (at the start of the fairway) on that hot, August mid-day. I wouldn't be too sure they'll get the drift that there's now a DG course here, so use caution before you throw.
Other Thoughts: Expect frustration if you think all DG holes should be 'par 3'. If someone ever deuces hole 2, it should make the news. Likewise, hole 7 is a blind, complete S-bending design that will likely tempt the huge arms to go up and over, while the rest of us struggle to find the 'fair'-way through. The shortest hole on the course (13, at 237') bends frustratingly, as well. This combination of technicality, going along with the big D, more open holes, gives Jacobson variety and replay potential, for those folks who like the challenge.

The park is easy to find, with a huge stone gated entrance, but to get to the disc golf course, drive down to the bend of the lake, and take a right, up the lane past the shelter for the DG parking lot, kiosk, and practice basket. Hole 1 starts downhill across the road.

Good, but will be Great!!!

1    8/18/2014   8/18/2014
Review By: jbrian24
Pros: I was able to play this course for the first time today. I was not disappointed in the least. Hole 1 isn't bad, but then you are thrown into a gauntlet of holes that will really test your line throwing ability. A bad throw on any of these could easily add 2-3 strokes to your score. This to me makes it fun. Hole 12 is a blast, you just grip it, rip it, and watch it sail forever.
Cons: Couple of tees missing, need benches and trashcans. The previous review lets you know that all of that is in process. My chief complaint from someone that knew nothing about the course is that it could use markers in several spots to point you to the next teepad. A couple boards with the course map in the right spot would fix this as well.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a very good course and I will continue to play it in the future whenever the chance presents itself. With the improvements already in the works and maybe a couple others and this will be a premier course in central KY. Well done job so far to all the guys designing and putting work into this course.