Morton, IL
Megiddo DGC Share
Uploaded By: sthomas128 Hole #5 (Taken 5/2014)
3 / 315ft.   -- / 448ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3

1    8/18/2019   8/19/2019
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This course plays entirely in the woods. More specifically up, down and across some huge ravines and creeks or creek beds. If you're into technical wooded golf then you're not going to find anything better than this. I love wooded golf and think this is one of the most fun courses I've played to date. The baskets are orange DGA's which work fantastic under the canopy of the woods. It's a little thing that could easily be overlooked but the orange baskets are SO helpful here. These catch great too. There are concrete tee pads on every hole with at least half if not more having 2 per hole. These are all level, have great grip and are plenty big enough. The elevation. Wow the elevation. You will be going uphill and downhill so much and zigzagging around the creeks so much you'll have no idea where you even started the course. This is an extremely physically demanding course. I can't state this enough. Probably pound for pound the most physically demanding I've played to date. Save maybe a couple. The tee signs are similar to Northwoods. Hole number, hole layout map, distances, each tee location, and pars. All the info you. Well done with these. These are located on the short tees only. You'll need every type of shot in your bag to score well here. You'll need to be accurate too. You'll also need some luck. The flow of the course is pretty straight forward. There are a number of blue and/or white arrows pointing to the next tee in confusing spots. The distances are all toward the shorter end of the spectrum. There are a few 400 hundred something foot holes but most are in the 200 to 300 hundred foot range. Which is perfect here. I can't say enough good things about the design of this course. To get 18 well thought out holes here is no small task. Well thought out is the key word. I don't feel like any of the holes are "filler" holes. The course probably isn't ever super busy and it is free to play. I've paid to play so many lesser quality courses that it was refreshing to play something like this for free.
Cons: My main con here is that there are a number of places where there isn't a bridge to cross a creek. I took my cart here, and while it is doable I wouldn't recommend it. With that said it would even be treacherous in a few spots with just a backpack. This is nitpicky but is worth mentioning. Just know that it rugged. I honestly can't think of any other cons. Loved this course.
Other Thoughts: This course is crazy. I loved every minute of it (well except carrying my cart up the steps to 18 after a long round). You'll be tired after playing here. You might even be sore the next day. But it is totally worth it. This course is a must play for anyone who loves tight, technical woods golf. But I think everyone will like this one. I'd highly recommend this one. Definitely worth a visit if you're nearby or even travelling through. Pair it up with Northwood for an absolutely epic day of disc golf. But this is a FANTASTIC stand alone course if you're short on time.

5+    8/14/2017   1/14/2019
Review By: MikeK
Pros: +Challenging and fair with lots of trees and shade
+well-balanced between hyzers and anhyzers
+lots of elevation changes
+excellent concrete tee pads
+secluded, peaceful
+a lot of fairway shapes combined with elevation changes, valleys, hillsides to create many unique holes
+excellent workout, you will burn massive carbs each round
+stairs throughout help players over the steepest ravines
Cons: About the only con for me on this course is its propensity to get muddy enough to be almost unsafe in a few places. Just not quite enough grip on some of the steep slopes when it gets too wet. I know it's not that bad most of the time, but enough of the time for me to keep me from rating it a perfect 5. Also the elevation changes here, while thrilling, are not the most extreme (they aren't ski-hill thrilling in other words). I'm being a bit nit-picky, but these two things are what make me say, "great course, but not quite the greatest ever."
Other Thoughts: Megiddo is an incredible course that requires players to dig deep into their shot arsenal to master its tight lanes and tricky slopes. Couple of signature holes for me here that I'll always cherish: hole 4 starts as a RH hyzer down a creek bed, then finishes with a RH anhyzer crush up a hill to a plateau green with plenty of trees throughout. Hole 11 is a par 3 that can easily produce scores in the range of 2 through 8, with OB lurking on the left past a tall tree-lined fairway and a steep hill on the right that requires an accurate straight drive. Did I mention the 50 foot drop off a cliff from the tee? Finally Hole 15 is another beauty, a long, gradually downhill tunnel that keeps turning ever-so slightly left the entire fairway.

Wonderful Woods, Exhilarating Elevation

2-4    8/10/2018   8/20/2018
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Delightfully challenging course with great variety of fairway shapes and shots required to score well.

- Elevation change along fairways is frequently intense, and many greens are precarious.

- Multi-use park seems to be well maintained, and disc golf portion is separate and mostly secluded.

- Course equipment, including two sets of tees on about half the holes, is in good repair and does its job well.
Cons: - Significant elevation change makes for good golf, but can be fatiguing to navigate, surely even more difficult in wet conditions.

- No relief from tight, wooded holes for duration of round.

- Navigation can be difficult in a few places during your first round.
Other Thoughts: Megiddo Disc Golf Course at Westwood Park had been on my wish list for too many years. So when I learned I would be playing the course for this past years Ledgestone Insurance Open, I was exceptionally excited. I had heard great things about the course, and it definitely lived up to expectations. This is a fantastic, technical course that will provide a challenge for just about every level of disc golfer. The shorter, white tees were a great challenge for the intermediate level players during my rounds while still being a ton of fun, and I would imagine the longer, blue tees (present on 10/18 holes) would provide all the challenge desired for more advanced players.

This course does a fantastic job of presenting a constantly varying set of fairway shapes and distances, playing up, down, and across hills to greens of various levels of precariousness. The course is well balanced and well paced. The longer, more challenging par 3s and par 4s are broken up by shorter, more birdie-able holes. The first four holes give a great example of the variety present throughout the course. Hole 1 plays left-to-right with a dangerous downward slope on the right side, Hole 2 plays right-to-left with the creek bed meandering through the fairway all the way to just short of the basket, Hole 3 is a shorter, straight, downward shot again with drop-off just short of the basket, and Hole 4 is a massively up-hill par 4 that requires a well-placed right-to-left shot around the hill side to have a chance to make your way up the hill to the basket for a birdie 3. I used just about every shot in my arsenal throughout my rounds here, with Hole 11's big, downhill, right-hand-backhand flex shot being one of my favorites.

There is an almost constant threat of a roll-away or drop-off in at least one direction while putting on this course, making up-shot placement a not at all trivial endeavor. This is non-stop woods golf, and while well balanced, there isn't really an opportunity to just air out a big drive, this can start to feel a little oppressive if you aren't having a good round/hitting your lines. I would not bring a newer golfer to this course. Most of the fairways are quite fair, if at times rather tight. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is Hole 17. It doesn't seem to have a well defined route to the basket, which is a shame because the basket is elevated on top of a fallen tree and could easily be one of the better holes on the course if the fairway was cleaned out a bit.

I have mixed feelings about the DGA Mach V baskets, it feels like I get more spit-throughs and bounce outs with putts to the center portion of the chains than most other baskets, but these are in good repair and do their job well most of the time. The concrete tee pads were very nice, and there are benches present on several holes. The original tee-signs are rudimentary but adequate. I had the good fortune of having the excellent temporary tee-signs for the Ledgestone tournament up during my rounds, hopefully they are able to remain in place for a while. There aren't any extra frills here, but the course doesn't really need them, the quality of the golf speaks for itself.

There were some difficult spots of navigation during my first play through. If you aren't paying attention as you walk up to Hole 1, it is very easy to not notice Hole 3's tee pad across the path from it, and wonder in the wrong direction after Hole 2. It is also very easy to head up the wrong path from Hole 11's basket and end up at Hole 16, which then requires a lot of back-tracking to get back to Hole 12. I would suggest checking the map beforehand for at least these two spots on your first trip. The elevation present here makes for some great and dramatic golf, but you do have to walk up and down all those hills as well. Stairs are present in the steepest locations, but there are some others that were still hard to navigate, even in dry weather. I would imagine this course could be quite difficult to play after a significant rain, doubly so if the creek level is up.

Megiddo is an excellent course with a ton of fun and challenging shots. If you like woods golf and elevation, I can't imagine anything too much better than this.

Excellent wooded hilly course

1    8/16/2018   8/16/2018
Review By: 34blast
Pros: Tight challenging wooded course
Huge elevation changes
Clean park
secluded
Not busy at all
Ample parking
Good tee pads
Good signage
Good bright orange baskets
Every single hole is challenging
Cons: Not a con to me but nothing really wide open
Not cart friendly
Probably not very beginner friendly
Other Thoughts: If you like tight wooded challenging courses, this is your ticket. There is nothing wide open and all holes are challenging. The course is a bit of strenuous hiking. The hills are very steep, but they make lots of stair cases. I used quite a few different discs, probably most of my bag besides my longest distance drivers.

Favorite

5+    6/2/2017   6/4/2017
Review By: RFLHXS
Pros: Excellent hole layout with many challenging holes. It offers a rigorous hike with the many hills to traverse. Many if the holes play through a meandering creek but I've always loved playing in a creek and getting a little dirty.
Cons: Could be marked a little better for someone playing it for the first time. More trash cans for all the litter bugs would be nice.
Other Thoughts: This is by far my favorite course if I want a real challenge.

stairway to heaven

1    3/21/2017   4/28/2017
Review By: TeebirdDan
This review was updated on 4/30/2017
Pros: this course is so neat ,almost every hole has hills and ravines ,. and staircases .Fairway shapes are twisted n cool just a awsome course .not the longest but challenging enough to make any player happy that likes woods golf .
Cons: ill have to come back to this one ,really had no complaints there is a really weird pro tee used in tournaments here that my friends threw . the regular pad on this hole is sweet enough anyway .
Other Thoughts: `love how this course looks n plays ,like how all the ledgestone courses have the pretty orange baskets

Great Course

1    10/18/2016   10/19/2016
Review By: wfisher74
Pros: The holes use the terrain and naturally flow for the most part throughout the woods. Due to the way they set it up you don't tee off going up a steep hill once that I can remember, and lots of down hill bomb chances (with very tight lines). Ace runs are there on a few holes, again much tighter lines than we have in Quincy but not scary tight in every case. This course was so fun, even with the tree hits aplenty. Baskets were nice bright orange and easy to pick out from afar. Signage was stellar, along with arrow markings to direct you to the next tee. Tee pads were very large 12-14' maybe larger and slightly trapezoid shaped, I was never anywhere close to stepping off and I was taking wide strides on my x-steps. Stairs and bridges were built where needed and where they really didn't need to but did anyways. Paths to the next holes were well beaten and easy to spot. They also used the naturally fallen trees as stairs, benches, hole features and other uses all over the place. You can tell there is a dedicated person or more likely people that tend to this course. They laid out holes so that you really cant see too many holes around you. While you can see some baskets from time to time, the other holes are protected by creeks, hills, and other features. We could hear another group playing once in awhile, but never saw them except when we were teeing off on hole 1 and they were playing hole 2. Very good mixture of right to left, straight, left to right and s-shaped fairways, with many having multiple lines to choose from, allowing one to throw the way and the disc they most prefer, but still being similarly same size windows to shoot through regardless of which line you choose. I found myself choosing using forehands almost as often as backhands off the tee, but that was mostly because I felt most comfortable with that line on that hole, but could have chosen the opposite just as easy.
Cons: Tough, trees, very tight, trees, lots of stairs (as you tee off downhill quite a bit), Creeks and creek beds to climb down into and then out of, did I mention trees? NO CARTS, I knew this before going and took my backpack bag. Many holes are hidden from the tee and sometimes even from fairways, due to large trees, slopes, or hills blocking your view of the basket. Having 2+ people would be very helpful to have as spotters for those blind holes and for after tree hits. I also carried a lighter bag than usual, about 14 discs total. I am super glad I did as this course is a great hike and workout just walking it was a tough walk. Lastly one needs to take all beverages they would want at hole 1, but if you forget something you go right past the parking lot after hole 2. The loop is basically all 18 holes (except for hole 1 & 2). All of these cons are SO easy to ignore while playing though. We were in constant amazement of the views, the tees and basket placements, the wildlife. It wasn't until looking back could I really find fault with things and that was knit-picking.

Other Thoughts: The views from the get go are great. Hills, bridges, trees, trees, and more trees. Ravines and creeks run throughout the course and come into play on too many holes to keep count including Hole 1 and 2 which you can see from the first tee. At the time of our play the creeks were fairly dry and easy to play from. I could see that the creeks could rise fast with a good few days of rainfall.
One could play it 100 times and have a different, approach and putt every time. Trees cause you to be accurate in both distance and direction but cause constant change in your shots. The 15ft putt I have one day will not be like the 15ft putt the next time, or the next due to each and every hole having trees surrounding each basket in almost every direction. Unlike our 2 courses where the baskets are fairly open almost all the way around. It would also make us all better players for sure, but the variety every time out would be so much fun to have in our backyard. Not to mention the wind was non existent on all but 1 hole, and that was a very small breeze, and 80% of the course was in the shade making it great for those hot sunny days. Today's forecast was 78F with 8mph wind, and we were never sweating, even with all the hiking and like I said, never really knew there was wind until one of the more "open" holes.

Amazing course! Best I've played.

1    9/5/2016   9/5/2016
Review By: Cdarbly
Pros: Really great use of natural terrain, almost every hole has a ravine or some sort of feature to deal with. Some reachable short holes but still technical, some legit par 4's.
I really like the terrain, it's hilly but doesn't really feel like a straight hill climb.
Definitely my favorite course.
Cons: Slippery when wet, not much grass due to how wooded it is. If you miss the fairway there is in many cases a pretty steep dirt drop off, but still accessible on all fours.
Other Thoughts: The only course I've played that requires wood features to exist. They did an excellent job designing it. It has a ton of sweet bridges and stair cases, seems like they just keep adding to it.

Caution When Wet!

1    8/20/2016   8/21/2016
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Megiddo (aka Westwood, but not to be confused with the 'other' Westwood) is an astonishing piece of property on which to have built a disc golf course. It feels like they've taken a little bit of West Virginia, and dropped it in the plains of central Illinois. Then, the designers took advantage of every ravine for some gorgeous lines through the challenging woods. When the most 'open' hole (8) slopes 435 feet (from the short tee!) down an access road, never more than about 75 feet wide, to a brutal, side sloping basket position (with OB just at the edge of the 'circle', beyond), you know you need to be a technical billy goat to really shoot well here.

There is updated signage, large, level, trapezoidal concrete tees, beautiful orange DGA baskets with deep cages and the 'blade' top for added visibility. They've built literally hundreds and hundreds of stairs and dozens of bridges. They HAD to. When wet, the course has such steep slopes, you'll be focusing as much on staying upright as you play, as you will on making a good shot. The stairs are greatly appreciated (side note on how to play Megiddo when it's really wet: wait 'til it dries out!).

There are holes that give you a clean line all the way to the basket, and many that will force you to find the best landing zone to save par. There are holes that pretty much require a spotter (I'm talking to YOU, hole 4!), and some nice ace run opportunities (3, 6, 16). There are holes that shape in both directions. I personally like the fact that you're given many more downhill lines than uphill (in fact, I can't remember a true uphill hole). But (especially for plains states players) you will remember Megiddo for its tight tree-guarded fairways, and the climbing you'll be doing, even when you hit the 'best' lines.

The course is not intended for casual players. At all. While you're not really likely to lose a disc (the ground cover is minimal), beginners will just be frustrated here. It will challenge Intermediate to Advanced players. Beware! You throw a bunch of unique holes, and start to 'feel the burn' toward the end, and you'll still be finishing on the drop shot ace run 16th, climb a steep hill to 17, with its one of a kind basket position (IN a fallen tree!), and then climb literally four flights of steps up to 18, where first timers might not know there's a serious, 15 foot deep ravine just before the green!
Cons: If you aren't in fairly good condition, you won't enjoy the hills here. And I'm actually a little serious about wet conditions: we played the Ledgestone Open this summer with a few downpours, and there were times and places where you could barely STAND to throw, or make it up or down to the next hole. The next areas needing stairs are on 11, 16 and on the path to 17. They've done an amazing job already, but you might notice spots where they know it's rough, and the tournament had a couple of ropes out there.

Be careful throwing slightly to the right on hole 2: there's a culvert you can fly into. A couple of places (on 11 and on 13 were notable) where they've started to build up log bridges, but more permanent structures are needed. Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of cons to this course.
Other Thoughts: It's really tough to assign a simple numerical rating to this course (I hope folks are reading these reviews!). It deserves at least a 4 for what they've built, and the fun challenge of the course design. Yet I personally found it to be pretty grueling (that's partly due to my age and lack of being in shape...). I have to rate it amongst one of the better courses I've played, but can't claim it's a 'favorite' because of how tough it is (to survive!) when wet. Dry, it might be a 4.5 course, but I have to rate what I played.

A great technical course

2-4    8/8/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: IndyTyler
Pros: Great concrete pads and great signs on the short tees.
incredible use of land
incredible stairs and bridges built
amazing terrain
Cons: DGA/Discraft baskets

Do not use a cart at this course. You will hate yourself for it.
Other Thoughts: This course is one of my favorite courses I've ever played. It is physically demanding with lots of elevation changes. It is a fair course. None of the tee shots really strike me as luck shots. You have to hit your lines here. Very well designed. I played it again yesterday after playing it last year at Ledgestone. It looks like the club is still doing a lot of work. Hole 6's stairs are amazing. Keep up the great work guys. It is an amazing course. GO PLAY IT!!!

I will rate it higher when the course is complete.

< Prev 1 2 3