Lafayette, IN
Wabash Washout Share
Uploaded By: bradtollefson Hole #11 (Taken 9/2014)

Needs work

2-4    6/26/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: billtm
Pros: There are a variety of lines to the basket, and the fairways are well contoured, with trees placed logically.
Cons: If you throw a disc out of bounds, there is a chance that it will be lost forever. The rough is just a ton of human-sized thistles, and the former lakebeds are disc magnets/black-holes. There are no tee signs, so you have to walk out to find the basket, and you have to guess the par if you don't have your phone with you.
Other Thoughts: I played the first ten holes with 2 of my friends before giving up. I lost my Shark on hole 3, and my friend almost lost his Leopard on hole 7. Many times we got pretty scratched up in order to retrieve our discs. There were baskets on every single hole we played though!

2-4    5/30/2015   6/11/2015
Review By: AdamE
Pros: The Wabash Washout is an excellent example of an old ball golf course that has been converted to a disc golf course. There are a surprising amount of trees for an old ball golf course and OB in the form of cart paths and ponds (which were dry when I was here), all of which are well utilized. There are 3 sets of tees which do an excellent job catering to a wide variety of skill levels by presenting challenges appropriate to the skill level each tee is designed for. There is an excellent variety of hole lengths from 170 to 670 from the short red tees with 10 holes under 300ft, 210 to 885 from the medium blue tees with 9 holes under 300ft, and 265 to 1005 from the long gold tees with 8 holes under 400ft. There is a decent shot variety here and the mature trees give multiple lines to the basket on a few holes. There is modest amount of elevation and it is all incorporated well into the course.
Cons: The course has natural tee pads and the only tee markers are small concrete blocks flush to the ground listing the hole number and color coded for each of the 3 sets of tees. I played here in a tournament and there were temp signs out which made it very easy to locate the tees but without those it could be a challenge to find them.

The course can be tough to navigate your first time playing, be sure to have a map handy.

Some of the holes have baskets, some have tone poles. I understand they are currently in the process of getting baskets for all the holes.

It is my understanding that the course is not always well mowed. The grass was cut a day or two before I played a tournament here and judging from the clumps of dead grass I saw it was quite tall when it was mowed.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed this course and eagerly look foreword to playing it again. If the course is in good condition I highly recommend playing here. The course does a good job catering to all skill levels with the 3 sets of tees and will challenge everyone from rec to pro.

This course would easily get a 4 disc rating from me if the list of cons were addressed.

Nice course, long holes

1    9/20/2014   9/28/2014
Review By: bradtollefson
Pros: This is a nice course to play. The fairways are wide enough that you don't need a lot of control to stay within them. There's plenty of variation to keep things interesting and challenging (but not frustrating). Although you do get traffic noise on some holes, mostly you feel like you've got the whole course to your self. This is a nice addition to the Lafayette, W Lafayette course offerings making this a great destination for a full day of folfing.
Cons: For us many of the holes were longer than we like. That's just personal preference. It often took us 3-4 throws to get to our approach shots.
Other Thoughts: Take a course map. It can be tough to find the next hole. We got lost after holes 3 and 9. We also were not always sure where we were throwing. A map would have helped.

Challenging disc golf course on a former ball golf course

1    7/27/2014   7/27/2014
Review By: gobias
This review was updated on 9/15/2014
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course, as it offered 18 holes, plenty of challenge and wasn't crowded (only saw one other group on a sunny Sunday afternoon).

Each hole has three different tee boxes, which dramatically alter the distances for each hole.

The fairways are nicely manicured- be sure to stay on them (see 'Cons' below...).

Lots of out-of-bounds, which adds to the challenge presented by the sheer distance of many holes, particularly from the gold tees.

I've played other courses situated on ball golf courses, and these all tend to be fairly repetitive- every hole is essentially throwing down the fairway, with sporadically placed mature hardwood trees. That being said, I thought this course was still solid with a handful of elevation changes and doglegs, and plenty of distance. The course requires a variety of shots, including fades and turnovers- a couple of holes are even amenable to rollers. I also thought that the bunker rule implemented on this course is a good idea- I played with locals who told me that instead of being out of bounds, if your disc lands in a bunker, you move your disc outside of the bunker, on the side opposite from the tone pole or basket, and play from there. This way your errant shot is penalized by adding more distance to your next putt, but not by adding a penalty stroke.

Some challenging greens- a few tone poles are placed on small hills, which makes you think about your putts / approaches a little more.

While most of the holes are open, the tee shot for Hole #5 offers a cool tunnel shot through some trees before getting back out in an open field towards the tone pole.

Cons: Some folks strictly prefer baskets, and the only basket on this course is on the 18th, while the rest are tone poles.

Natural tee pads, but the ground is flat and wasn't an issue when I played.

Open, exposed to sun. Pack water, and plenty of it on a hot day. There is a water fountain behind the tee box of hole 12, however.

No benches or trash cans (one trash can by the old ball golf clubhouse, but none anywhere else on the course)

No signage for holes on the course, though a course map is available online on this site under the 'Links / Files' tab. Navigation was not a problem for me without a map my first time playing, however, and I found all of the tees relatively easily. There is a small white sign near the old ball golf clubhouse that indicates you are at the disc golf course- walk past this sign up the grass trail to the first tee- tees are marked with orange flags, as well as stones with the hole number painted on them.

While many holes are long and open, accuracy is a must, as the rough is real, real rough. I'm talking 'kiss your disc goodbye' kind of rough, as plants off of the fairway are dense, shoulder high, and in places littered with poison ivy. Consider this aspect of the course as a challenge- most holes are quite long, thus it is tempting to bomb your drive. However, accuracy is required, as thick rough and out-of-bounds are everywhere. Choose and throw wisely, or risk losing a disc for good.
Other Thoughts: I'm an avid disc golfer that is new to the area of West Lafayette and Lafayette. This course offers a decent alternative to the 18-hole course at Murdock, despite being a little rough around the edges. I enjoyed my round, and will definitely return. If this course had some nice signs, rubber or concrete tees, and baskets with multiple locations, it could be a 3.5 or 4 rated course, in my opinion.

I fully expect to lose a disc or two at this course because the rough is that bad, but hey, life (and disc) goes on...