So much potential
3 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: - Hugh parking lot that is shared with the beautiful beach that is there.
- Nice super long concrete teepads on the long pads and natural on the short. Long teepads are great.
- Discatcher baskets are always a welcome sight. Easy to spot and the best catching target on the market in my opinion.
- Beautiful course with tons of rolling hills, some water and tight lines. If there wasnt a disc golf course here then just walking the trails would be a good time.
- A good mix of shots from short shots to long bombs, and tight tunnels to wide open holes. You def need every shot in your bag to shoot well here.
Cons: - Finding hole 1 took a while. There are no signs pointing you to where the course is. You just have to know where the path is off of the giant parking lot and start walking into the woods until you find it.
- Needs fairer fairways. As I was playing the front nine I kind of thought it was slightly not fair enough but then when I got to the back nine it was almost every hole that I didnt think the fairway was fair. I walked up to a lot of holes and just stood in silence trying to figure out where the line to the basket was. If they just had someone go out there and just clean up the fairway this course would be so great.
- The rough needs to be cleaned up. There were so many times where I got slightly off of the fairway and my disc was pretty much gone. A lot of the fairways are lined with thorn bushes so if you loose your disc there it can be slightly impossible to find and get to.
- A lot of long walks to too many holes. Probably 1/3 of the holes have way too long of a walk to get from pin to pad.
- Hole 11 got me so excited when I walked up to it but its just so much wasted potential. Great hole over water on to a peninsula. The issue is that you cannot see the basket from the tee and to get to a point where you can see the basket is a few minute walk so its kind dumb to try and find it. There is also no direct line to the basket. They forgot to cut a fairway here. They just put a pad in the ground then put the pin in a great location but then did nothing else. Very underwhelming.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course could be a great course. It really needs the touch of a pro designer to just clear some of the rough and some of the trees out of fairways and then this course could easily be a 4.5ish. I had a lot of fun here but there is just too many improvements that need to be made for me to want to go back here.
3 of 6 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Big Harry Potential
~Red & White tees create good variation to the course
~State Park setting / amenities
~Layout provides all different types of holes
~Scenic & serene wooded course
~Easy to navigate, tape on baskets & arrows on trees area helpful
~Most wooded holes still need more clearing & defined paths
~A few long gaps between holes can disrupt course flow
~Underbrush alongside the fairways is thick
Other Thoughts: Played the red tees on a warm September morning. My 1st visit to this course, and overall I was pleased with it's condition. Established only a couple of years ago, its evident right away that a lot of work has already gone into carving out this primarily heavily wooded course. The biggest draw back right now is that a near equal amount of additional clearing is needed to allow the player's skills to be rewarded. Too many unnecesary tight gaps and wishful throwing at this stage, as the course wears in and clearing continues I'd expect the ratings to increase. Ample parking and plenty of picnic tables, restrooms, and other state park amenities throughout the course to allow for all day casual play if desired. While you weave in and out of the public areas and along the lake, the holes themselves are very secluded so there's little worry of crossing paths with other park goers. The course really shines between holes #11 through #14, and finishes stronger than it begins. I enjoyed all 18 holes, and the designer did a great job of including a wide variety of holes. There area few open areas which were nice to be able to air out some drives. A few that teased the waters edge, and a fair amount of elevation throughout. Long tees expand upon the options and variety provided with many long tees completely changing the layout from the short pads. I'm excited to revisit this course and watch it wear in and evolve into it's full potential.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.