Saint Charles, IL
Campton Hills Share

Play 3 rounds unless you live close

5+    8/16/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: schroeder5520
Pros: Unique, borderline weird elevation changes; especially for a really short course.

Ability to very easily play with 1 or 2 discs. (though I don't, I do like the putter challenge that one guy mentioned).

Scenic deep woods, but without major danger of losing a disc.

Shady, almost all parts of every hole. This makes it great to play if it is really hot and sunny out.

Windy? It really can't be windy here. If you don't feel like playing Jericho or Eagle Ridge because of 30 mph+ gusts, play here.

Just rained? You can probably still play here if the gates are open. Because of the thick canopy everything stays pretty dry except for a couple of low spots on 2 holes. And the tee boxes have been filled in with more gravel.

Because people play it more casually, like after work or just to get some quick holes in; I almost always run into another solo player to throw with. Compared to every other course I have playes solo, I cannot stress how nice that is.
Cons: Tee pads are ridiculous. As others have commented, short wood framed gravel pads. Really short, so short it is hard to imagine what the designers were thinking, or if they every played.

Obviously not a very hard course, because of the length.

Cowded in the late afternoon/evening.

You will run into people drinking, which doesn't bother me but might others. And you might see kids just hanging out smoking weed etc. It is one of those type courses. Most people that play here live close and are young- I would say 80% are 25 and under.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a 3 simply because it is one of the most unique nine hole courses you will ever play. I play it a lot because it is five minutes away and I can get out there at 7:00pm and still get in 27 holes easily.

A Juicy Little Morsel of a Course!

1    6/28/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. A short technical course. The first few holes kind of leave you wondering just how easy this course is going to be (which it is), but the overall design was really impressive. Hole #2 is a little 125' RHBH hyzer shot with a PAINFUL punishment if you go deep (which I imagine could be easy to do if you're one of the one-disc golfers carrying only a driver!).
2. Fantastic use of elevation. Again, all of these are short and reachable from the tee, but do require some thought before throwing. The extreme-uphill and extreme-downhill holes featured out here are just really cool to look at, and you can truly appreciate what the designers were aiming for once you start playing.
3. Ease of navigation. Sometimes a heavily wooded course can get confusing when there's no "next tee" sign and other paths winding through the woods, but with how busy this course is and the visibility of the next tee after holing out (as well as a nice, easy-to-memorize directory at the beginning), you shouldn't have an issue getting around.
4. The litter actually wasn't too bad when I played. I've seen this issue addressed in other reviews, so maybe I caught the course on a good day, but with how many groups we saw in what little time we were there, and with most of those groups seeming to be late-high-school age to early 20s (one of the more notorious litterbug demographics), I was impressed. The trash cans help!
Cons: 1. Only 9 holes. This seems like a park with great potential for an 18-holer or more, but it also seems like they'd have to chop down a lot of trees to do so...a designer's dilemma.
2. Basket vandalism. The baskets themselves were in great shape, but with how short this course is, there's bound to be a TON of aces--which apparently there have been. Again, people, if you get an ace, NOBODY CARES! Write it on the disc you aced it with, 'cause it was truly your arm and your plastic that helped you accomplish that feat.
3. Poor tees. Again, with this being a short course (I think the longest hole was the finishing hole, albeit a huge downhill, thus eliminating a lot of whatever the posted distance is), you don't really need big flared concrete tees, but I can't stand the frame boxes filled with gravel, especially in an area that gets as much rain and flooding as St. Charles. A few little sidewalk-square-sized chunks o' concrete are all that's needed to make a major improvement to this course.
4. Some muddy areas. Again, because of the frequent standing water in the low-lying areas, you have to tiptoe around some particularly yucky areas...or your disc may end up extremely muddy if you can't see this mud off the tee. Have a towel ready!
5. Crowds. A lot of people seem to come out in twosomes and threesomes, so that does help keep things moving...we had 6 in our group (out-of-staters hitting up a course before heading back to WI), and we let numerous groups play through. Adding another 9 would certainly stretch out when and where you hit the bottleneck, but even with all the people out here, most of them seemed really cool.
Other Thoughts: This is probably the most fun 9-hole I've ever played. I'd have rated it a 3.5 if the holes were just a LITTLE tighter (which, in reading previous reviews, they apparently were at some point!--for shame, park people/course management) and the tee pads didn't look like sinkholes. Since this course is literally up the street from my aunt's house, I'll definitely be hitting it up next time I'm in St. Charles.

A+ = Supremely Unique & Fun!! Best 9-holer I have played

2-4    6/18/2009   6/18/2009
Other Thoughts: This course blew my mind! It has got to be the single most unique course of the 193 courses I have played to date. To be sure, this course is not a "serious" disc golf course.....but is seriously fun - a total blast!

I am going to explain why this course deserves a 5 disc rating in my book. I'll spare rehashing the course details since previous reviewers (and the pictures) have done a splendid job with that.

Normally I have a set way of ranking courses (details in my profile). Since this course is so unique I approached things uniquely....but only slightly differently. This is an unashamed pitch-n-putt course that challenges the tar out of a 1 or 2 disc challenge. I tried to get to 6 down (a score of 21) three times over using only a putter. That seemed reasonable. I never got close......even with an ace on #5 one round.

I had more fun playing things this way than I've had playing any other 9 hole course. The poor tee pads (they were all big puddles when I played yesterday) are not a detriment....they are simply an added challenge.

I keep 2 lists of courses: 18 or more holes and 17 or less holes (mainly 9 holers). This course topped the 9-holer list where the highest course was rated a 96% grade (an A, or 4.5 disc rating). So this course gets at least a 97% (A+, 5.0 discs).

I base my ranking list on my "personal addiction factor" -- how a given course feeds these desires/motivations/reasons I have for going out to play:
1) To be challenged by the course (getting more birdies than pars at Campton Hills with just a putter - supreme challenge!)
2) To have fun with friends (Campton is like none other!)
3) To relax and enjoy nature in a beautiful and secluded setting (besides being overcrowded at times it is waaaaay beautiful and the layout keeps it feeling other-worldly secluded.)
4) To enjoy a nice birdie fest (A given on this course. Half the birdies are easy to get, half are quite challenging.)

Simply put, this course topped my list of 68 9-hole courses I have played. It deserves 5 discs!

Good technical short course

1    6/14/2009   6/14/2009
Review By: lko102
Pros: - Good use of natural elevation changes.
- Well marked signage to guide you through the course.
- Well maintained "fairways"
- Very technical holes emphasize proper lines rather than raw distance.
Cons: - Crowded
- Tee pads are poorly designed
- Muddy and rutted after a rain
Other Thoughts: Very fun course! Shorter holes really force you to play a technical round rather than go for all out distance without accuracy. Wooded, natural setting gets you out of suburbs for a little while and walk in the trees. On the downside, the course was very crowded when we played, and any extra time spent looking for discs resulted in a backup at the tee. I would recommend playing during the week or in the mornings to minimize the crowds. Also, the tee boxes are too short to use for a proper run up, but are also elevated box frames, making it impossible to extend your run up out the front. I had better luck playing beside the tee boxes. Great little course to test out your ability to identify and throw a specific line. Come in the morning and give it a throw!

Course I Learned to Play on

5+    5/27/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Daffron24
Pros: This course offers a little something for everyone whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro. Short holes can make a first time player feel good about themselves as well as the #8 hole which requires accuracy up a hill. This short wooded course has a nice design with a good amount of elevation change. Hole #1 starts with an uphill dogleg left while the last hole, #9, ends with a blind downhill dogleg right. Course navigation is easy to follow with well mapped out signs.
Cons: Bugs. After a rain or in the summer months mosquitos sometimes emerge which is always annoying. So bring bug spray. Also the tee pads are dirt which means after a rain these holes will be filled for days.
Other Thoughts: Being the course I learned to play disc golf on I can gladly say this course must have something, because i've been addicted ever since. It is a fairly easy course, but the design of the course seems to always make you play a second round. All and all this course is local friendly, short, fun course that I will enjoy going to for years to come.

1    5/24/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: Disc Golf Greg
This review was updated on 4/14/2010
Pros: -Elevation which is a nice change from all the flat courses I'm used too
-Pretty nice design and shot variety
-Good number of Ace chances
-Pretty challenging while still a good choice for beginners
-Shady which is nice since it's getting hot now
-Trash cans at offered at every hole and the course was very clean
-Friendly locals who showed me to Hole #1
-DISCatcher baskets which are nice since this course is located in the woods
-wooden stairs built on the very steep hills you throw up and down
-Drives that require you to throw down huge hills
-Uphill shots with baskets on top of hills
-Dogleg blind shot on Hole #9 where you throw some 75-100 feet down a hill is an awesome way to end a competitive round
-Unique never really played a course like this
Cons: -Tee pads suck, they are dirt and are literally 4-5 feet long with wood borders that prevent you from being able to step outside the tee and throw without tripping, the tee pads are also very uneven and practically have holes in them
-Insanely crowded there were 4 groups waiting to play Hole #1 when I arrived. With groups of 4-5 in front of groups of 2 who did not understand the term "playing through"
-Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: Don't go during Weekend/Weekday afternoons or evenings because it's just too crowded I was talking to a group of locals and they said the course is a lot of fun to play alone in the morning when it's not crowded, and that you almost always have it to your self.

I would for sure go back but it would have to be for a morning round.

SHORT AND WOODSY

5+    5/23/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: tntbuffallo
Pros: SCENIC AND WOODSY TERRAIN ESPECIALLY FOR IL. ALSO VERY HILLY.UNLIKE MOST COARSE AROUND AREA.
Cons: VERY SHORT, GREAT FOR BEGINERS. TOO MUCH GARGBAGE, AND OFTEN CROWDED, BRING YOUR BUG SPRAY.
Other Thoughts: BEST COARSE IN VECINITY OF ST CHARLES. CHALLENGING DESPITE SHORT DISTANCE. POSSIBLE ACES (HOLE IN ONES)

Decent quick game spot

2-4    5/11/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: syruphussy
This review was updated on 5/26/2009
Pros: Flow from basket to basket is simple and easy to follow.

Beautiful scenery and foliage.

They now have buckets for trash at nearly every tee box.

I believe at #6 and #8 (?) there are steps built into the hillside.
Cons: Gets busy after school is out.

#7 is missing.(EDIT: Basket #7 has been replaced)
Other Thoughts: I like the course for a quick game. Easily playable twice with out getting tired of it. Good for beginners.

Great

5+    4/15/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: EDoty
This review was updated on 4/19/2009
Pros: Very fun and moderatly easy course. This was the first course i played and the course i learned on. Holes are short but the woods make it very challenging.
Cons: Teeboxs are short also the holes are short
Other Thoughts: great course that i would reccomend to beginners and advanced players its a very fun and challenging course

Eh...

5+    8/1/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: Tripod2
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: It's near home and work. It's a 9 holer, which is kind of an oddity for me.

Good workout for your midrangers and putters as most holes are short. Holes 6, 7 & 8 offer nice elevation challenges that most IL players are not used to.
Cons: Pin placements never change.

I've played here for 2 years +. They have chopped down or hacked a lot of trees, making this a far easier course than it was a few years ago.

For shame.....

This place gets awfully crowded when the weather's nice. Be patient.....and bring plenty of bug spray.

With crowds comes litter...and plenty of it. Maybe that's why they're chopping down all those trees - to make the litter more visible for clean up crews.

I dunno.

Other Thoughts: If you're in the area, swing by, but don't make a special trip to this one unless you want to rigorously work out your mid-ranger.

Nearly aced hole 6 in June 2009. Putter glanced off tree and hit top of basket. So close.

Also, nearly aced hole 8 same day. Driver glanced off a tree and hit the chains....before bouncing out of basket.

The disc gods were teasing me.

3/23/09 - This course lost half a star. I played a quick 18 on Saturday and was very disappointed. The folks in charge of this place decided to chop down a LOT more trees. The most challenging aspects of this course was the terrain and trees.

Now that most of the obstacle trees have been chopped down, this is nothing more than a beer swigging/yuppie paradise.

If this wasn't on my way home from work, I would never throw here again.