College Station, TX
Research Park Share
Uploaded By: primalwhite Hole #17

One Of The Better College Courses That I've Played!

1    9/25/2017   9/25/2017
Pros: This is one of the best campus courses and I've played and also one of more challenging college courses. This is not designed for the four dormers who come out with one disc apiece. From the short Reds, this plays as a decent recreational level, with some water hazards. The longer Blues probably just make it a tougher, more challenging rec course. Research Park is a lovely, good sized park and there is water throughout the course.

The teepads are nice trapezoid shaped at both tees. The signs are these cool, little composite posts. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be able to hang on to their house numbers-most are missing on the Reds. The baskets are older DGA models but the number is usually facing away from you as you walk up to the basket.

Water first comes into play on # 4 where the basket is set near the pond. # 5 is about 240' and the pond is on the right side. # 12 is a shortie at 180' but the basket set close to the ponds edge. The water is close behind the # 13 basket. # 14 is very short (maybe 125') but the basket is so very close to water's edge. # 18 is a fairly long carry (perhaps 250') but there is a second pad across the bridge if you don't want to risk losing your plastic.

As with any college campus, you have to be careful about where you park. Campus cops seem to love that entitlement they have to have you towed. I was told by a couple of A & M players to park on the street. No ticket nor did I get towed.

I thought # 9 was the course's most interesting hole. Not necessarily the signature hole or the most challenging, just kinda interesting. It needs a low downhill, tunnel tee off. There's little margin for error here.
Cons: Definite chance of losing some plastic here.

Not much parking available.

Signage is poor but suffices.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course. The players I talked to said it was their favorite course in the College Station vincinity. I can't confirm or deny this rumor until I play the remaining College Station courses tomorrow. As I've commented before, had I had this course and warm weather at my university, I would most likely still be pursuing my degree. I doubt that I would be having any luck with all these lovely coeds I see wandering about.

Average course with lot's of water hazards

5+    2/10/2017   4/3/2017
Review By: 34blast
This review was updated on 7/16/2017
Pros: Some short and long tees with variety
Pleasant park
Easy parking
Good place to rip some really long throws
Cons: Water hazards make it easy to lose disks
Grass uncut alot and super tall
Very wide open and can be ridiculously windy
Not many tight challenging holes
Not many holes forcing a right turn
Other Thoughts: Almost every time you are here you will see people looking for discs in one of the many lakes. The lakes are really really dirt, the only way you can retrieve a disk is to walk in barefoot and feel around. The course is laid out okay but lacks trees and is ridiculously windy most of the time. The good news is it is easy to park and people there are very friendly

Improved???

1    8/22/2015   9/4/2015
Review By: Basketdriller
Pros: Good variety of holes. Short, long, technical and wide open. Concrete pads are great. I like the 2 tee selections.
Cons: Trying to find the next tee is a real challenge. There was obviously a lot of time and money spent in redesigning this course, they really should have finished the job and put up some signs. My opinion of water hazards... I don't mind throwing over water, but I don't like putting the baskets right on the waters edge. Instead of having water right next to the pin, maybe we should install a large disc shredder behind some of the baskets, then when you miss your shot it will shred the disc and dispose of it in the trash rather than littering the water.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course a lot better before it was redesigned. It is now my last choice in college station. Before, it was my favorite.

New and Improved

1    8/9/2014   8/11/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
This review was updated on 8/14/2014
Pros: To be honest, College Station/Bryan area has always lacked a great long course. The old layout for Research Park was suitable, but I still rather would have played Southern Oaks. Now Research Park is the premier course, and utilizes the land much better than the old layout. It also uses more land than the old layout.

The park now has two sets of concrete tees. The blues are the longer of the two, while the reds are the shorter. For the most part the course has a rather easy flow to it. There are also two pin placements to each hole.

The old layout had two shots over the water. The new layout features six shots over water including the epic Hole #16 where if you can get a good drive, you can try to carry the water on your next shot or lay up for an easy 4. The thing that really struck me as cool for the course was that the red tees never go over the water, which means that a new player does not have to worry about losing discs in the water.

The course features tighter holes, which is good with the lack of trees on the course. The course also has some long holes like hole 16. All in all, I felt like each hole was unique.
Cons: Like previously mentioned there is a lack of trees on the property. However, the trees that are there come into play strategically. The lack of trees also makes for hot days, so bring your water.

There is a little bit of confusion with the layout at holes 13-16. The red tees to not have numbers on the stakes but the blues do. There are also baskets close to one another, which makes it hard to know where to throw to. It would be nice to see the lengths on the tee signs rather than the QR code that needs to be scanned. It is a novel idea, but I think it falls short of a good idea
Other Thoughts: This is now the premier course in the area, and it is a must play for any people in the area. It takes a little bit of time to play, but it is worth it. The over the water shots really make this a fun course since they are not too far that the average rec player should not have trouble clearing them. This turned to my favorite course in the area.