Lockport, IL

< Prev 1 2 3 4
TOP 10

5+    4/18/2017   7/18/2017
Review By: BuiltTooLong
Pros: Impeccably maintained course, with everything a disc golfer could ask for. Playing this course demands you to use ever shot in your arsenal. Elevation, water, trees, and open space make this quite a diverse course. With multiple tees and very well manicured fairways this course is a favorite for Pro AND Rec level players.
Cons: More benches and garbage cans maybe? Really hard to find any cons without severely nitpicking.
Other Thoughts: There are several great courses in this area, but when I am traveling to Joliet to visit my spouse's family, this is always the course I want to battle. With the dedicated work crew out here, I would not be surprised to see this course skyrocket into the top 10 or 15 in the country.

Fun Course

1    7/16/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: survivorbabs
Pros: Beautiful setting, great use of the terrain.
Hole 16 is an awesome hole that you have to aim just right to get it perfectly.
The Pro Shop has a great selection of discs to choose from; I picked up a new driver today for a relatively cheap price.
As a new player, and having The Oaks as my home course, it was a little bit difficult and i only birdied one hole, but the course was very long and fun.
Cons: Our group had a few instances when we were not sure where to go, as the course is a bit spread out.
There was a misunderstanding with the signs, as we thought some holes had multiple baskets but only one was present.
Other Thoughts: Great fun course and I will definitely be back in the future.

Pretty Close To Perfection

1    6/25/2017   7/9/2017
Review By: freelancer46
Pros: -Awesome mix of holes. Tight and technical & long and open let you use all the discs in your bag. Lots of the open drives end up in wooded baskets so you get a good variety of shots, even within each hole
- It's a good hike/long walk in the woods
- Pars are challenging but reasonable
-Really well kept & taken care of
-Great signage and baskets, multiple tee boxes and primaries are concrete.
-Bathroom, Pro-shop & lost and found right by the parking lot
Cons: -Very popular park and VERY busy, especially on the weekends. You will almost certainly be waiting at the tee's if you go on the weekend. Also a number of general park users but there are only a few holes where you have to watch out for them.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. Easily the best maintained, thought out, and fun to play course I have experienced so far.

I just wish it wasn't so damn busy! We typically have to be on the course by 9-10am on the weekends to play an unmolested round. Sometimes the parking lot is half full by this time anyway and we are usually waiting at the tees by the time we hit the last nine as many people don't play the "optional" BCD etc. holes on 6

Guaranteed awesome round though, tons of fun!

5+    3/25/2017   4/10/2017
Review By: halloffamer
Pros: Great mix of holes and shots required nice elevation changes. Bad shots will be punished by the abundant water hazards. Very well maintained.
Cons: A little bit of a walk between some holes. Not the best course for beginners but that's not really a con to me.
Other Thoughts: Having played a couple hundred courses around the country the canyons course is as good as I've played and were lucky to have it in our area. If your in town and only have time to play one course it has to be the "canyons"

Well Kept-Fun to Play!

1    3/6/2017   3/7/2017
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Great variety of shots. Good mixture for big arms and those who have normal arms. The long tees make a totally different course, and a challenging on for advanced players.

Love the uphill/downhill mix, open, wooded, water hazards--makes for a great, really fun round!

Choose your shots wisely--they don't call it "The Canyons" for nothing!
Other Thoughts: A little spread out--some may feel it's a lot to walk "a little" in between some holes. I felt it had GREAT signage, very clear directions on how to get to the next hole--which shows care on the part of the designers who must have had to do it that way because of park land constraints and the type of course they wanted---it's a great play! Talked to one of the guys doing course maintenance--told me they will have a full 27 coming soon!! And a pro shop.

Best Course in IL

5+    11/22/2016   11/22/2016
Review By: ToddT
Pros: The Best course I have ever played ever. (currently around 60+)

-Good baskets and T-Pads
-Very scenic with memorable holes
-Long, Short, tight, open, left, right, up, down, my head is spinning.
Cons: Too busy because it is so awesome.

The Best Course In Chicagoland

1    9/6/2016   9/22/2016
Review By: flashniggs3000
Pros: -Beautiful course.
-Nice elevation, decent distances, and slight difficulty with pin placement.
-River is clean (does not smell like s*&# like west park).
-Gorgeous cliffs and fairways.
-Benches on all holes, and garbage too
-Newest baskets, try throwing a disc through the middle of these!
-Overall a great park and course.
Cons: -Can be very crowded some times. Parking lot gets full
-The new 9 is kind of redundant.
-It is a community park and does have some traffic. Watch out for families walking the river!
Other Thoughts: Joliet is home to many spectacular courses in the Chicagoland area. The Canyons is the best course in my opinion. Although I do put Highland as a close second, The Canyons offers much more scenery and cleanliness. The cliffs, canyons, and bridges make for an entertaining experience. There are open, wooded, and mixed holes all along this course. This is a really nice addition to J-town's collection.

Great new addition to the area keeps getting better

5+    8/8/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: SpartanDisc
This review was updated on 3/1/2017
Pros: - - Very scenic park for the Chicago metro area. There is a creek winding through several holes, some nice hills and rock walls, and some untouched forest on the new 6 holes.
-- A few amazing signature holes (4 both short and long as well as hole 16) that you just want to throw again and again and again. These are both incredible holes that would stand out on any course, especially the long tee on hole 4.
-- Elevation comes into play on a handful of holes. While it isn't incredibly hilly throughout, it has more than most courses in the region and the amount that is there plays into the course very well.
-- Good hole variety. There are a lot of open holes, though a good amount of wooded ones and with water and elevation in play on a handful. The new 6 holes were a perfect addition to the course as they added a much-needed taste of more tightly wooded holes to round out the course's variety. There are holes where you can really open up a long bomb as well as more technical shots and putter/mid range ace races.
-- Multiple tees on every hole is nice, however, there is some criticism on these below in cons --Update Feb 2017-- New longs have been installed that have some really amazing shots (2, 6a)
-- Good signs and teepads (for most holes, though shorts and 8 long are just marked grass)
-- Practice basket before hole one

--Update Feb 2017-- The parks department here is probably the best I've seen in terms of maintaining and improving a course. They are constantly improving the course (see my update below in the comments)
Cons: -- For multiple tees, sometimes they feel unnecessary as they don't really add much but rather just add/remove 30 ft from the hole. Lack of consistency with some holes having 1, 2 or 3 separate tees. Reds don't have cement tees, and there are a few holes where the long tee is hard to find (like hole 8 where is no tee pad for long tees but rather a few hard to find stones in the grass marking the position). --Update Feb 2017 -- A few of the new long tees are pretty incredible (2, 6a) and while not all holes add a lot with the longer tees, the course definitely plays a lot easier from the shorts but a lot more fun from the longs.
-- It is a great park with playgrounds, pavilions, picnic tables, running trails, etc... While is makes for a beautiful park, it also adds a level of interference with the course. There are a few holes where I usually have to wait for people on the paths, and a few where people at picnic tables or pavilions are at risk in the case of an errant shot, and a couple buildings I've seen hit a few times.
-- While there good variety as I mentioned and some really great holes, most of the holes are pretty wide open. This is the nature of a course in a well used city park. The designer did a great job working with the land available, though a number of holes don't provide a lot in terms of obstacles. --Update 2017 -- There were 6 wooded holes added late 2016 and 3 new in construction for Spring 2017. This doesn't get rid of the open holes, but certainly balances them out.
Other Thoughts: --Update Feb 2017--
I have played this course a lot more and am changing the rating from a 4 to a 4.5. This is because of the constant improvements done on the course by the local park district. When I first played, it was an 18 hole course with dual tees on many holes. Then they put in 6 new holes. Then they put in new long teepads on a few holes (make sure you look for the longs on hole 2... you have to go up the hill by 1's basket and 2 long is up on top of the cliff behind the original 2 teepad). Then they added trees along 7's fairway to close off the wide open shot a bit. They are always out there putting down mulch around baskets and tees. They just cleared a bunch of debris from two of the newer holes to make it even more beautiful. Now they are clearing land for another 3 holes to round it out to a total of 27. The new three should be ready in a few weeks, so I will update again once those are played.

TLDR; the park's deparment here is CONSTANTLY improving this course and deserves serious thanks

I do still agree with my original assessment that there are a number of holes out here that aren't terribly memorable (mostly the open ones like 3, 7, 8, 11, 12), but with more wooded additions being added, in the new 27 hole layout it will be nice to have at least a few of these holes where you can really air it out and not have to worry about hitting an early tree.

This is a great course and a lot of fun to play. Being in the greater Chicago area - where there isn't a ton of forested land and the courses in total probably aren't quite as outstanding as other areas I've lived - it is an excellent course.

Awesomeness

1    7/8/2016   7/10/2016
Review By: HoosickTony
This review was updated on 7/17/2016
Pros: * fun
* terrainimus maximus
* limestone walled gorge
* creek that chews discs but does not swallow them.
* multi-tees, multi-basket positions
* solid tee pads
* variety
Cons: * people and pet obstacles
* long walks between holes
* I don't live closer to the course
Other Thoughts: Bag used/needed: carried 17 discs, used 15. I did not need the two floating discs I carry whenever I play a new course with water, the water here was not deep enough to bother.

Impression: Wow. Just wow.

This park is a ridiculously sweet place to put a course. A few times I had to stop to let non-golfers clear out of the path of my throw, but other than that, this was everything that I like in a course.

I did not expect to find such a severe up/down/sideways course in this part of Illinois. And the course designers really used all of it to maximum advantage. While the limestone walls were certainly the star of the show, that creek was the monster in the closet lurking in every dark and forgotten location. I hooked up with another first time visitor, and his disc ended up wet at least five times, and he got lucky and landed on the bank another three times.

I played this course on a VERY windy day, and the holes in the woods and along the banks of the creek were sheltered enough to make it a fun day to play with discs. The open holes with the high grass were brutal, of course, but even there we did fine as soon as we realized that all we needed to do was to take turns spotting.

This course is FUN. Very very fun. Fair lines, lots of variety, no two holes alike, no big long stretches of bomb/approach/putt, no "claustrophobia forever" stretches, nothing too stupid. I have played more challenging courses, but this course did a incredibly good job of completely testing my ability to throw a disc in every way I that I know how.

This was a stop that I am very glad that I made on my way to Madison.

On a scale of 0 (horrible) to 5 (heavenly):
Scenery:5
Ease of navigation:4 (but just because of the slippery clay and long paths that wind back and forth as the designers take advantage of the terrain)
Tee pads:5
Baskets (catchability):5+ (best I've ever used)
Baskets (location):5
Variety:5
Bomb factor:5
Risk/reward opportunities:4 (yes, there were some, but not many of those enticing but tiny windows leading to certain birdies, not many choose your best path out of many possible paths holes. Mostly the risks were just part of the path to the basket that everyone has to take)
Fairness:5
Use of terrain:5++
Amenities:5
Beginner friendliness:5
Non-disc golfer opportunities for fun:5

About the reviewer: I've been playing for over 20 years, and playing seriously since 2007. I throw RHBH predominantly, with a wide arsenal of other shots that I use when I need them; my drives average about 320 feet +/- 30 feet on flat ground. My PDGA rating hovers around 900, which means on good days I shoot a few below par, on bad days a few above.

About my preferences: In my opinion the perfect disc golf course is an interesting walk in a natural space, with a wide variety of challenging but fair opportunities that test ALL of your shot making skills regardless of which hand you favor for throwing discs. I am happiest when I have to think my way from tee to basket hole after hole after hole and have to weigh risks versus rewards. In my opinion the worst disc golf courses have nothing to offer but holes that a) only test of how far you can throw b) only favor one particular type of throw on the majority of holes c) feature "plinko" lines choked with obstacles where luck is more important than skill d) are so short that a putter is all you need e) are so wide open that the only challenge is one of judging distance f) feature lines that discs were never meant to travel (such as a hole with two 90 degree doglegs in opposite directions) g) force you to lose a few discs if you dare to play. I am saddest when I feel bored or cheated by a hole.

The canyons

1    6/24/2016   6/24/2016
Review By: jvbh792
Pros: Truly one of the best all around courses I've ever played or seen. Immaculately kept and marked. This course is both beginner friendly with red tees and easier pars, and also expert friendly with beautiful and challenging tee shots and greens cruising through forests, stream made valleys, and over vast prairie fields. The course signs are SO fresh and well marked. The tees are all concrete. Every tee has a mulch path to the basket. Around every basket is a mulch green. The grass fairways are all perfectly maintained and your disc is visable from a distance. Some highlights of the course are hole 4's pro tee's elevated canyon shot, hole 6a's dog leg right tunnel shot to a small mound green, some consecutive technical woods holes, back to back open field holes with mowed OB, a cliffside down hill tee off 16, and an under bridge, over creek, through a window tee on 18. So much variation of shots and types of holes. I've played some woods courses that over do it and every hole begins to feel the same, same with open courses. But this has a perfect mix of left right and straight holes. I'll certainly be traveling back to Chicago to play this course.
Cons: No big bomber holes kinda stinks. It really could use a par 5. But you wouldn't miss it if I didn't mention it.
Other Thoughts: Most well marke and well maintained course I've ever seen. On the Internet, in person or otherwise. Perfect condition all the time.

< Prev 1 2 3 4