Elizabethtown, KY
Freeman Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #9 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #9 Tee: This hole has 3 pin positions. Current position shown straight off the box behind the group of trees.

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Hole 13 Has Gone To The Dogs... Literally

1    8/24/2018   10/9/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.289 Rating) A medium length park style course in need of some investment.
- UNIQUENESS - The aspect I enjoyed most out here was definitely the variety. Mostly a moderately wooded park style course, but with some interesting perks. Three fun water holes along Freeman Lake. Two 500 foot plus par 4s. Some nice pockets to shoot into and some tree gaps to split. I loved hole (8) where the best line was a sky high fade shot over a couple big fronting trees. Several down shots and up shots with twisting lanes. Overall I scored Freeman Park just into my top 50 for most diverse layouts as of this review.
- HOLE 14 - This hole is definition of a pucker-up shot. After not finding hole (13), (see other thoughts, Course Edits), I walked to (14) tee and saw a complete overgrown fairway forcing a blind play to the left and well over Freeman Lake. "No way" I first thought. So I put my disc back into the bag and I walked to see where the basket was. After seeing the well-groomed landing area around the basket, I walked back to the tee, grabbed a disc that I wouldn't hate my life for losing, and threw a blind flick prayer of a shot. It looked great out of the hand, but it ever so slightly clipped the farthest left twig. Thankfully the disc still careened in the general vicinity of what I thought would be the basket area. As I approached the basket, total bliss. A two foot drop-in birdie.
- TEES - Nice sized 5 foot by 12 foot concrete tees. Three holes have multiple tees and hole (16) has four tee surfaces. Hole (14) could really use another tee however. I have a feeling that a lot of lower skilled players will skip this hole.
- CHALLENGING - I rated the challenge as a par 56, although the tee signs claim more like Par 61. I found the difficulty best suited for Intermediates. Recreational players playing it as a 61 might find themselves around even par. Most fairways are wide enough for newer players, but the distances are designed for those with several years of experience.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - This course manages to find the perfect middle ground between too easy and too hard with one set of tees on most holes. I could see Novices through Advanced level players enjoying themselves here. Lower skilled players might only get one or two looks at a birdie during a round due to the length, but the course is generally not overly punishing to errant shots except on a couple water holes.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The big lake feature makes this park that much nicer. Three holes put the lake into play and several others have nice backdrop views of it. The park in general is a lightly wooded park style course, but there's one heavily wooded hole and a few moderately wooded lines. Lots of eye appealing moderate elevation change in the 15 to 25 foot range. The park was well groomed on my appearance.

Cons: More issues than I was expecting.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - Other park amenities and park roads come into play a few times. The bench I saw next to (14s) basket was foolish. Literally 30 feet away from the basket on a hole with a blind tee location. On hole (12) I had to ask a lady to move here van as she had parked 15 feet in front of the tee pad.
- WATER HAZARDS - There are a couple of substantial water risks out here, namely (14). I will say however that the water looked fairly clean on my appearance and I personally would have had no problem diving in had I thrown in an ace disc.
- OVERGROWN TEE - I had peaked at the map just prior to (16), and so I was looking forward to throwing the long water clear on from the back tee. As I approached the tee I started noticing a lot of tree blockage and soon realized it had abandoned years ago. What a waste. It was one of the better lines on the course. In frustration, I threw the short tee and nearly put it short into the water. Whoops. No worries, so I made up for the mistake by sailing my approach over the basket and into the water... SMH.
- CHAINS - MachIIIs that have seen better days. Almost all of the numbers on top are hard to read from the tee and fairway. A couple were even completely faded away or missing.
- NAVIGATION AND SIGNAGE - No course map on site. Having a printed map in hand or one downloaded to a phone is a necessity to navigate this course, and I was constantly pulling out my phone to check mine. The tee signs don't have next tee direction and there are no directional cues on the layout itself. Tee signs are very diagrammatic and are pretty much useless in determining the line to the basket. The distances seemed accurate though.
- TIME PLAY - I was hoping for a quicker than normal round and thought I played quick, but It still took me 75 minutes solo. Figure 2 hours or more for a foursome.

Other Thoughts: This course appears to be on a slow decline from its heyday. Everything is aging here and its doesn't appear that there have been many investments over the last five year period. Still however, If I lived in Elizabethtown I'd be here on a weekly basis if not more. Definitely worth a look see to those traveling along I65 as it's only 10 to 15 minutes from the exit. Players in the Louisville area who've pondered on whether to check this course out should definitely do so.
- COURSE EDITS - Not sure when it took place, but original hole (13) no longer exists. A new fenced off dog park has taken its place. There is a new hole after hole (18) the runs parallel to (18) back down the hill. It's not marked at all at the tee area, but the basket bears the number (13).
- CHARACTER - Its hard to tell from playing if this course has a hardcore club following. Typical things that clubs keep up like community boards, tee signage and navigation were mostly absent. There are only a handful of seating areas. There is however a practice basket and a bunch of alternate basket placements, so I hope that a club or the park staff moves them. There are also a couple of nice park amenities of note. Several well-built shelters and restrooms.

First Course Played

1    11/9/2016   11/9/2016
Review By: Rokkman
Pros: Very good mix of elevation, lateral terrain, wooded obstacles, water hazards, and open throwing space. There are good technical holes as well as a few that you can really stretch your arm.
Cons: Main gate was closed, which meant we had to start on hole 5 and work our way through. Not a big deal, but still less than optimal. The major problem though was one hole is completely unplayable (13 I believe) due to the area the hole should be at being fenced off. The next hole is playable but risky, in order to play through you have to throw a right curver over water and around a silo, if you mess up the rotation or power, you're in water easily.
Other Thoughts: This was my first ever round of disc golf, and despite the two drawbacks with this course, I couldn't be happier. I absolutely had a great time with the friends and will be back to this course regardless of hole 13 being operable.

ol' faithful

5+    9/30/2014   10/5/2014
Review By: gte639
This review was updated on 10/7/2014
Pros: Multiple tees and/or pin placements on each hole. I generally play the front 9 2-3 times a week, and try to get the full course once a week. Most of the time, I play the f9 during the day, so foot traffic around the course is minimal. I'm not the best golfer, so I enjoy the course because it requires me to throw rhbh, flick, and rollers which has improved my game quite a bit over the past year or so. Weekends seem to draw out a few more players, I don't ever seem to have any trouble finding people who ask me to join their group. It's a beautiful park and a great course that offers multiple lines to the pin on most tee shots.
Cons: As previously mentioned, hole 13 is out. 14 needs some major trim work done to really be playable. Most of this year, the grass was left pretty tall, so early morni ng rounds can get wet/slippery.
Other Thoughts: If there were a par 5 on the course, it should be hole 4, certainly not hole 5. Double Eagle is within reason on 5, even for someone like me who really doesn't crush it off the tee.

On the back 9, 13's gone, 14's unplayable, so I generally play 12 and play an alternate (the "pro") tee for 15. When you finish 12, start walking across the small field toward the lake. You'll see the tee pad there kind-of in the middle of the field, but there's no sign on it. I don't know how long it plays, but I do prefer that pad to the original one, I find it a bit more of a challange to keep my rhbh drive safe from this tee, and it makes the flow feel a bit better while skipping the two holes.

Just OK

1    7/26/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: robthky
Pros: Lots of variety.
Good signage on most holes.
Benches and garbage cans on about half the holes.
Nice view of the lake.
Cons: Poor par consistency, long 700+ ft par 4 followed by a 500 ft open par 5?
Hole 13 is gone, the tee pad is there, but no basket. Hole 14 is unplayable.
Geese poop everywhere.
No water available on the course.
Other Thoughts: Would not recommend, there are too many other great courses around to waste your time here.

Picturesque course

5+    11/10/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: KyHyzer
Pros: You will need everything in your arsenal to take on this course. It's my hometown baby and its very well manicured. many wonderful views on the back 9 that plays along the lake and will eat your plastic. If all in the long it's a championship style course. Multiple pads and pin placements. Pins on 14 out of 18 holes. The course could be different everytime you play. Tee signs on every hole, front nine has every shot. Long drives that you can crush, hard holes for pros. Just an amazing spectacle.
Cons: Finding it is hard for out of towers, they have changed a few things and the new entrance is kind of hidden. From Louisville on Dixie hwy there is a new Tim French superstore at the entrance and you turn there and go around to the very back of the park.losing discs in the lake will probably happen because of all the buzzers around the lake. Other than that my favorite.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played this course and your in or around the area you should really stop and play this one. Spring and summer are the best times.

Gorgeous Kentucky Course

1    9/12/2013   9/20/2013
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This is a very good course worth making the stop to play if you're in town. Each hole has good sized tee pads with accurate tee signs and benches on many of the holes. The course weaves through a beautiful piece of property with a very large diversity of holes. This course literally has everything you can ask for in a course to test a golfers game. There is good distance on the open holes and tempting/testing lines on the shorter holes. Dog legs in both directions, elevation change, tough but fair greens, water... you name it it's here.

Like other courses I've played in kentucky there are beautiful cedar trees which will snatch any errant drive and help test your accuracy. As one reviewer stated its not the most difficult course for more advanced players, but it will keep you coming back for more. With 18 very different holes you don't get bored playing this course.
Cons: There really aren't too many cons to this course but there were a couple of holes which I personally was not a fan of. Hole 14 plays from one side of a large thicket of brush to the other with really only one route to the basket involving a completely blind left to right shot over water. In defense of the hole is very short so to play it safe all you really have to do is throw a simple sidearm (or left handed backhand) about 200 ft. That said blind shots over water are rarely a good idea.

Then the 18th hole is essentially a 400ft mandatory spike hyzer through a very small gap. Because of a large bush to the right of the tee pad it makes for a slightly awkward approach. What makes it worse for me is that to the left of this area is essentially a field which could easily accommodate around a 600ft finishing hole. But again this is really only a minor complaint on an otherwise excellent course.
Other Thoughts: I actually played this course completely by accident. On a road trip back from Columbus, OH to Mobile, AL. I missed a turn through Cincinnati and ended up taking 71 to Lexington. Looking for a quick course to play to break up the long drive my wife found this course on the review and we decided to give it a go. It was definitely a great decision. This is a course I would easily play again. I honestly through every shot in my arsenal: backhands, forehands, rollers, booming open long distance drives, touch long drives, finesse approaches. If you're in the area do yourself a favor and play this course.

Great Place

1    4/2/2012   4/13/2012
Review By: Float
Pros: As a beginner there was nice people to play with and didn't turn me away. Had a great time. Easy parking since I'm a truck driver out of Arkansas. Holes was nicely laid out. Hope to get to play here again soon.
Cons: The grass was a little high and hole 13 was closed to some construction. But as this was a early spring I'm sure that this will be well groomed course the rest of the year.
Other Thoughts: Didn't get to play back 9 just played fron 9 twice which was great for me as a beginner.

Awesome water holes

1    3/27/2011   4/7/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Freeman Lake Park possesses a fine 18-hole disc golf course. Water comes into play prominently on 5 out of the last 6 holes. The majority of the course has open holes with a few scattered trees as obstacles, although some wooded areas do come into play. A slight amount of elevation keeps the course from being completely two dimensional. Dual pin positions help keep some of the more open holes from becoming repetitive over time.
- The water holes are well-designed and will certainly make most players a bit nervous. None of the water carries are ridiculously long, though, and alternative concrete am pads are available for the more difficult shots in case the risk of losing plastic is too great. #14's tee has water directly to the left and woods slightly ahead and to the right. A concrete silo extends out of the water just ahead of the tee. The green is easily makeable unless your shot goes awry, in which case you're probably in the drink. #16's green is comprised of a narrow peninsula surrounded by the lake. Four concrete pads are available for differing levels of skill.
- Well-worn concrete tees, but grippy and long enough. Tee signs list both pin positions along with distance and a map of the hole.
- Mandos force lines away from other park activities and add a little difficulty.
- Port-a-john on site.
Cons: - As mentioned in other reviews, the course is difficult to locate at first. Our group ended up starting on a random hole because we had already lost time trying to figure out where the entrance was, where to park, etc. Be sure to follow other reviewer's tips for finding where to go.
- Near the water, goose excrement becomes a bit of an issue.
- Many of the more open holes seemed generic or slightly repetitive, but this is largely forgotten by the time the outstanding water holes come into play.
- Short wooden posts that house electrical utility boxes dot the course in areas. I'm not certain if these are for campers or if they are for something else, but if in use, I imagine the course could become unplayable in spots due to the risk of hitting someone.
- Despite the signage showing both pin positions, it's often impossible to tell which pin was in. Going ahead to scout the position is necessary in places.
Other Thoughts: - Despite seeing only one or two trashcans on the course, the course was clean and it is seemed obvious that Freeman Lake is well-maintained year round.

Solid challenge up and down

5+    8/16/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: weeman
Pros: Grippy large tee pads with good signs on every hole. Nice collection of hyzers, anhyzers and arrow straight shots spread out through the course. Freeman provides a good variation of hole lengths of some quite two-able holes to long crushers. The trees keep you honest as a lot of them are cedars that like to stop you dead if you're unlucky enough to have an errant throw. The water holes add another element of danger that's not found in any other near by courses (Radcliff, Maldraugh, Meade/Olin). The underbrush in the rough is not so thick as discs would instantly disappear. Would rate this course as for good intermediate players and above.
Cons: There's a lack of indication of which sleeve the basket is in. Though most are not blind shots it'd still be nice to know before you start looking. The only down side to the water holes is the unavoidable goose crap long the lake. Feel like this course gets underplayed for as good as it is. Its almost always in excellent condition.
Other Thoughts: The gates for the park are not opened at all during the latter part of the year (late November through whenever they get around to taking down the Christmas decorations) when the Christmas decorations are on display so you have to go park over behind Target, jump the fence and start on number 5. As with me rating this for AM2 and up, lower level players may get frustrated with the length in some situations and the amount of cedar trees between them and the basket. This course is worthy of any competitive players time and is a hidden gem in the middle of Kentucky.

No holds barred

1    8/9/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: We played this course right after Muldraugh, and it was the perfect compliment to a technical course like Muldraugh. Very open with cedars lining the way on most holes. Easy to navigate, and multiple pin placements. The Back 9 is the crown jewel of the course as it plays beside the lake, and #16 obviously being the signature hole with a shot across water to the basket being on a peninsula. Pretend that Madisonville and Keriakes Parks had a baby, THIS is what the course would be.
Cons: Tricky to locate the beginning of the course in the park. On the main entrance hang a left at the roundabout and continue on to the second parking lot, and hole #1 starts across the street from there. Once you get going, the course is relatively easy to follow. Other than that, I can't think of much.
Other Thoughts: Long and challenging, this course will challenge you on almost all aspects of the game. I'm glad we played it on our two destination course of the day. Won't be the last!

< Prev 1 2 3 4