Santa Rosa, CA
Taylor Mountain DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #14 (Taken 12/2016)

Super Fun Course & Shot Lines

1    7/4/2021   7/21/2021
Review By: Sol Baird
Pros: OK, this course is straight up fun. Great design to utilize shot lines and get as many elevated tees as possible. Loved the 1st hole tee off uphill plateau area with shaded basket, 2nd hole elevated tee shot with shaded basket. Loved the 11th hole elevated tee to a huge open field. 12th hole had a cool fallen tree that most of us had to putt over the top of, (like a De La Vega hole). 15th elevated tee-off was special with an opening in the tree branches and leaves to shoot thru, (it reminded me of a hole on The Open at Belton DG course in Texas that I saw on You Tube). I got a 70 foot throw in approach this hole's steep basket, which if missed, definitely could have been a roll away, (everyone gets lucky now and then). Loved the 17th elevated Tee shot , which luckily I almost went outside the barbed wire fence, (probably better to disc down).
Cons: Since we were warned about the blind roll aways from an earlier review, (Thank You very much!), we were like hawks finding our discs, (no lost discs), and we were prepared for the Psyche of that event!
Other Thoughts: Port-o-Potties right at the start along with parking pay meter. Decent hole signage - the downloaded Map worked perfect. Tee pads were adequate and in some of the holes, the were elongated in creative ways.
A lot of tough uphill holes on this course - some with tight tee offs, (but that's what you have to take to get those elevated tees).
I think the designer was supper creative laying out this course.
I could be hyper critical about stuff on this course, like older baskets, (which yielded me a 55-foot putt too! - so I love them!), buy why - when it was so much fun to play this course. We'll be back next year - Lord willing - on our yearly visit! Can't wait.

Fun until you roll away

2-4    6/25/2021   6/27/2021
Review By: NorcalJake
This review was updated on 7/3/2021
Pros: I've played this course a few times now. I think the designers did a great job using the elevation and vegetation to create fun holes. There's a good balance of up, down, across little valleys and sideslope holes. Didn't 'blow' the elevation in one or two big bomber holes. I love the hilly CA oak woodland like Stafford, Napa... The branching of old oaks makes for some super fun tee shots and upshots and putts. Great views. Pads are well maintained and do the job and the Mach Vs are fine, although I prefer baskets with bright bands (less industrial)...
Cons: Signage and navigation need improvement! Sucks to come first time and be confused where next tee is when you really just want to soak in and enjoy that first experience. And there's some awkward hole transitions, like going up and down the same hill on consecutive holes. I've got bad feet so the rocky terrain off trail can beat you up. But like most courses, especially oak woodlands, you have tons of hardpan soils and some sketchy trails that have been walked-in. The most annoying thing is the repeated potential for blind roll aways which can get lost in tall grass or roll into brush where you have no idea where to look! Too many baskets on steep slopes. Could use more benches.
Other Thoughts: I might consider rated Taylor a 4 if it weren't for the blind roll-away potential. It's a fun killer! But once you know the course you can make educated decisions and enjoy a quick fun round with elevation and views.

hard to navigate

1    8/28/2020   8/28/2020
Review By: Fischstix
Pros: Chances to really let your disc fly on some holes. If you like elevation changes this course can be fun.
Cons: Hard to know where you’re supposed to go. Signs are only up for 3 holes and after that you have to figure it out yourself. You’re right on top of other players a lot of times as holes seem to double back.
Other Thoughts: Lost 2 discs on this course. You’ll want to watch your throws because they’ll disappear quick and then roll down a hill in a weird way and be lost.

Top 5 for me

5+    5/18/2018   9/18/2018
Review By: MikeV
Pros: + Great variety of play, has some long throws, and some short technical ones
+ Open, distance shots and woods play together
+ Pin positions get changed often to keep it fresh
+ Good flow, only a few walks that can be confusing on first time
+ Very popular and locals are friendly and will walk you through the course
Cons: - One or two blind shots depending on pin position. Have to walk a bit to make sure the basket is clear of players.
- Hard OB on the west side. Landowner is no joke about discs going over.
- Grass can get long before maintaining takes place and makes disc finding a pain. I know this happens everywhere but it should be known that tall grass comes in to play in a few holes.

Fun Course in the Hills of Santa Rosa

2-4    1/16/2017   1/18/2017
Review By: bjfergus21
Pros: When I rate courses I will typically give something a 4 if it had a good layout, some good elevation, some scenery, and challenging for more advanced players, but still playable with enjoyment for less advanced players like myself. I'll start with the pros of Taylor Mountain.

First off, it is in a well-maintained space in a park in the hills of Santa Rosa. On a dry day the course is very pretty and uses it's space well. There is a fence surrounding the whole course that separates it from the rest of the park and I think that makes it contained in a good way. There were brooms at just about every tee-pad and there were 18 baskets and tees. If you've played disc golf enough you'd know this isn't always the case as advertised.

I think the course is very fair, and uses its elevation well. Nice mixture of dog legs and straighter shots. Lastly, I think it is a solid place to have as your home course. It is a course that will likely only take 90 minutes tops to play and offers enough for all types of players.
Cons: There are a few cons that couldn't push me to make this a 4-disc course. The first few holes had great signage next to the rubber tee-pads, but the rest of the course was not consistent in that regard. The first time I played here I had to keep asking people where to go because there wasn't really a lot of direction or tee signs. Along with that, there are a few spots where you throw up the same hill two holes in a row which is not the greatest design.

It also will get very wet after a rain. (Yes, it does rain in California) I made the mistake of going a few days after heavy rains. Lastly, I think many of the holes are similar distances and shots. There isn't a whole lot of diversity in the course design, but sometimes that's the plot of land you're given.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely recommend this course. The elevation changes, natural beauty of the park, and rolling hills make it fun. There are nice little patches of rocks surrounding areas of the course which is really cool in this setting. If you're passing through Santa Rosa and the North Bay I'd recommend giving Taylor Mountain a go!

Taylor Mountain DGC

1    12/10/2016   1/17/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has rubber tee pads

Has tee signs

More open than wooded fairways with most holes having changes in elevations - which will be fun to the casual player

Nice scenery

Porta potty
Cons:
Tee pads are slippery when wet

Course design and flow could use improvement there are awkward transitions between holes 3&4, 7&8, 10&11 and holes 12&18 have intersecting fairways

Needs more next tee signs - recommend a course map for the first-timer

No variety in pars - par 54

Many opportunities to lose discs here via OB barbed wire fencing - recommend backup discs

Has rocky terrain - recommend discs with good durability

Pay to park
This a nice, fun 18 hole course in Santa Rosa that I enjoyed playing while vacationing out here. I probably would have had more fun if it hadn't just rained earlier on the day I played. The rubber tee pads here are slippery when it rains and they also get caked on with mud. Thankfully the local disc golf club has provided the tee pads with brooms. For the most part, the course flows well but there are some awkward transitions between holes. After I finished hole #2, I headed to hole #4 and almost skipped hole #3. I had to consult the course map to get my bearing on where hole #3 is. Fortunately the course has been worn in some where there are walking paths that can be followed throughout most of the course. By the way, the new course map that was uploaded is much better than the previous one that I used. Transitions between holes 7&8 and 10&11 requires backtracking toward the previous hole and can have potential safety issues if the course is crowded. Of course, holes 12 and 18 have intersecting fairways which could have been avoided in my opinion. Given the limited amount of space, I think the designer utilized the terrain as best as possible to create the variety of required drives shooting uphill, downhill, and across valleys and slopes. While the OB barbed wire fencing can be intimidating to some, the threat of losing discs in OB becomes even greater when the winds start kicking up. Some of this course has a rocky terrain so one might want to use discs that have better durability than a typical starter set. It's a fun course to play and I recommend it if you're in the area.

5+    9/5/2016   9/5/2016
Review By: Skirby000
Pros: -Great use of space
-Good mix of shot types to use
-Challening greens with plenty of rollaway potential
-Great use of elevation change
-Fantastic views of Santa Rosa

Cons: -No water
-The OB private property on 16-17
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. I'm teaching my son to play here. I absolutely love it. The layout has been improved since some of the first reviews for a much better flow.
This course can also be mashed out in just under an hour if you hustle. I was able to play the full 18 during a lunch break. I always pack my own water so my only real complaint is the neighbor who won't let you retrieve your disc if you go OB on her property under threat of course closure. Lost a 25$ Dyemax over that fence and I don't think I'll see it again. (My own fault).

1    10/4/2015   10/4/2015
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: - great use of the land, lots of elevation change
- many shots that utilize the trees to make for some fun shots
- great flat rubber tee pads
- bathrooms at the parking lot
- good variety of distances with some shorter 200 foot shots to some 400 foot shots.
Cons: - tee signs have not handled the weather well, and are fading and delaminating
- they have some navigation signs but could really use some more
- the course has a odd flow to it, many trails kind of cross back across fairways to get to the next few pads and there are some chances for injury
Other Thoughts: Could be a real good course with some added signage and maybe a few basket placements changed.

Mini Stafford Lake

1    8/5/2015   8/5/2015
Review By: flingding
Pros: This course is great!!
Medium sized, loads of elevation change, with perfect mixture of trees ( those awesome craggy cali-trees )

its what i would call a chill'r course.
easy enough to play twice and with loads of personality to not get bored with it

Russian River Brewery right down the hill!!

This course will forever be on my radar when in the area

Very Well Taylord

1    3/29/2015   4/3/2015
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
A number of interesting and varied shots that are very par friendly
Good park for beginners/intermediate types
Very good tee boxes (rubber mat type), although when these mats get wet you can slip quite easily. Also has multiple brooms on each hole as well as poles for disc-in-tree retrieval.
Beautiful park with nice views of the surrounding area
Decent signage, although I would orient them differently as they're currently not in a way I'd call 'immediately obvious' which way the hole flows. These look temp to me anyway.
Cons:
1 port-a-potty restroom with no water
In spots it's a bit tricky to navigate due to the terrain but if you follow the map and the nicely established paths, you'll be ok.
One crisscross hole and a couple holes that are close together so a bit of head swiveling is required.
Pay to park ($7. Minor quibble. No quibble at all if the money goes to the course.)
Tips:
Do use the map. One is at the entrance to the course.
There are a couple holes where a spotter is a good idea (5 and 8 for sure due to the blind basket and hill shape, and maybe 9 and 18 depending on your shot choice).

Random Thoughts:
Reading the early reviews on this course, my expectations were a little low but I must say, I (and my fellow discers) really enjoyed this course. To set the scene, we played it on a Sunday morning with very little wind. The course overall was probably about half full and there was a fairly steady stream of folks coming in over the course of our round, which took about two hours (although some of the folks are headed for the trails nearby). But even though there were a good amount of people around, we never once waited or were waited on, which was great, of course. As for the course design, I really enjoyed the variety of shot shapes that are available, although like most courses, it does favor the RHBH juuuuust a little too much. I have an LHBH that plays with me and I always feel bad when I see a few holes in a row that clearly favor one style over another. I know, tell them to learn a forehand/flip shot/blah blah blah...you know what I mean. Having said that, I found the course to be very fair actually. Pars and birdies are all over the course and I left the day +1, only due to an errant OB shot on 2. It's only really 13, 16, and 18 that stretch your arm due to either being severely uphill (13, 16) or just long (18). All other shots, I would say are well within range of the average player which means......the advanced player/pros will eat this course alive (or dead). Is that a bad thing? For me, no. But I could see others saying the course is too easy (without the wind anyway). As I said, I really enjoyed my round. Even almost aced 17. I don't feel it's necessary to give a hole by hole breakdown as the map does a fine job showing you the layout. The only other thing you need to know is the baskets on 13 and 8 are on the top of the two hills which are probably 40'ish off the valley floor. That should give you the full sense of what each hole represents. Overall, a nice mixture of up and down with a few 'let it fly' and 'touchy technical' mixed in.

Bottom Line:
Yea, there's still a little bit of fine-tuning to be done and it doesn't have the amenities of other courses, but this is a very impressive use of this space. What the course designers have done here is to be commended. There's also a lot of potential for mixing in additional tee/basket positions. While the Pros might yawn and move on, I'm very much looking forward to my next visit (and getting an under-par round gawldangit!). Great job folks!