Kissimmee, FL
65th Infantry Veterans DGC Share
Uploaded By: The Drake Hole #3 (Taken 2/2020)

Diamond in the Rough

2-4    2/24/2020   2/24/2020
Review By: The Drake
Pros: I'm going to stick to pros and cons in their respective boxes then give an overall feeling below.

1) Fantastic fairways, well manicured. It almost makes you feel like you're on a ball golf course
2) Tee signs are clear and easy to interpret. Distances seem about right. Not sure how they were measured but no issues there.
3) Lot's a shot variety do to strategic OB placement with a few truly unique holes to test your nerves and skill.
4) Good sized tee pads nearly flush with the ground on every hole with enough room for even the longest of run ups.
5) Nice baskets with flags atop to help with gauging wind.
6) Essentially a dedicated disc golf course though a walking trail is encountered along the outskirts of most of it
7) Two sets of bathrooms. One in the parking lot, the other by the start of hole 1.
8) Playground area near by if you ave kids with your who don't want to throw plastic.
9) Plays through a neighborhood along people's backyards which to me just seems more "legit". The very cool hole 5 island green I played saw a family sitting on their back porch watching me play the hole. Pretty neat imho.
Cons: 1) Though I included it as a Pro above it can also be considered a con: Plays through a residential neighborhood. As a result errant drives could land in backyards and judging by the multiple "private property" and "no trespassing" signs I'm going to assume the locals aren't too fond of golfers getting in their backyard to retrieve discs.
2) Very open for the most part which could lead to a lot of similar shot selection. If you're one of those players that just hyzers everything you can do a lot of that here.
3) Relatively short holes for the most part. There are several over 400ft with at least 2 legit par 4s but beyond that the course can take on the feel of a deuce or die park. This isn't necessarily the case though and I'll elaborate below.
4) Not a con for the seasoned player but there's water basically everywhere. If you don't have control of your discs you WILL end up wet.
5) As the course does play as a true "Out and In" style course it would be nice to have another bathroom towards the back of the course. Minor con for me.
6) One or two holes have the Blue and Red pads combined when there is actually room for multiple tees though for the most part it flows well.
7) Minimal elevation change but it's Florida so...
Other Thoughts: OK, so I played this course originally in 2015 or so when I was visiting a friend. At the time it was a 9 hole deuce or die course that was just something fun to throw if you had some time to kill in the Kissimmee. I now live in Orlando (have for the last 4 years) and work in Kissimmee. I hadn't even considered going to play this course but had some free time today while at work so decided to check it out as it's 15 minutes from my job. Boy was I surprised. First and foremost I had no idea it had been upgraded to a full 18 but I remembered when I first played it wondering why all the space in the back wasn't being utilized. Apparently it was always in the plans to make this a full 18. Given the space available they did a fantastic job with the re-design. Almost no hole seems out of place and there are a few truly special holes. I mentioned, and a few others have as well, that the course is very open with limited obstructions. This does make for a seemingly "easier" layout, however, there's water all throughout the course which makes you think about your shots and disc selection carefully. Also if you use the walking trails as out of bounds markers (not explicitly stated on the signs but definitely implied based on the design) the course actually plays quite tough. The other added difficulty is the wind. When I played today there were gusts up to 15 mph. With very few trees to protect you this meant some drastic influences on the disc flight bringing the water and OB trails squarely into play.

Overall The current rating of this course does NOT do it justice. My favorite course in the area is still Lake Hiawatha Preserve in Clermont due to the fact it has elevation, woods, and plays really long from the blue to gold layout, but this is now number 2 and I will absolutely be playing it more frequently. If you find yourself in the Kissimmee area do yourself a favor and check this one out. I personally updated all the hole lengths and have pictures of the course which I will upload as well.

Good AM course

1    2/18/2020   2/18/2020
Review By: Steady
Pros: 1. I'm an older player (65) and I can't reach most of the (short) holes. I only throw up to 300' and a lot of holes play 350+.
2. I'm guessing that coming in at par (all par 3s) would get you a 900 rating.
3. There is usually a 10+ mph wind which adds a bit of difficulty.
4. Many pins are placed within 15' of OB to add to it's difficulty.
5. Course is very well maintained.
Cons: 1. There was only one garbage can on the course besides #1.
2. There are a couple hole that are close to private property.
3. Very few trees
Other Thoughts: All in all, it's a very good course. I recommend playing it.

Much Improved!

1    2/18/2020   2/18/2020
Review By: Solid Gold
Pros: I gave this a 3.5 instead of a 3 to give a bit of a boost,this course is much better than its current DGCR rating. You have

-Great Teepads (and 2 pads on majority of holes)
-Great Baskets (which are placed with clear intention)
-Great Signage
-Great Course Maintenance
-Super easy navigation
-A few difficult par 3s (several are 400-600ft from the longs)
-I thought 18 would be silly based on the 9 hole layout, but the designer found a lot of room to fit a legitimate course.
Cons: -Most holes are simple par 3s
-Doesn't demand much shot variety.
-Lots of risk to go OB into people's yards, or into any of several connected ponds that could have dangerous wildlife in them. The whole course is along and surrounded by occupied neighborhoods.
-Little elevation, and wide open. Nice property, not exceptional.
Other Thoughts: This is a fast 18 to play, it's easy to navigate and there's no woods to lose anything in.

Salute To A Fast Fun 18 Hole Course

1    1/21/2020   2/17/2020
Review By: MrFrosty
Pros: After reading the front page of the DGR review , looking at the pictures , printing the map and going through the reviews , I wasn't sure if this course was a 9 holer disguised as a 18 hole course with it's 2 tees , or a mundane stroll through a quick neighborhood park ,,,,, Neither is close to the truth . I don't know when updates went in , but 65th Infantry Veterans DGC has a full 18 holes .The course is located about 15 miles south of the City of Orlando and maybe 10 miles from the airport . The park has ample parking and a nice bathroom facility with water fountain and large American flag at the lot . It also has a cement walking trail that wraps in and around the park grounds . The park itself was mowed , well taken care of and very clean . A small snake of a body of water runs through the center of the park and a few trees dot the landscape . The course goes counterclockwise and utilizes much of the park .
This course has 2 good sized cement tee pads per hole . it also has 18 numbered yellow banded Discatcher baskets with yellow flags on top set in multiple pin placements . I am not sure how often they change . Next tee signs help with navigation . The signage is excellent , displaying hole # , par , distance in each position and flight path .The course flows well for the most part . The only spot that I considered odd was the hole transition from 8-9 . After hole 8 , you make a hard left , walk across a subdivision street and look for a fence line . The basket is sitting near up top from the water . The course doesn't have much elevation , but it gives you a few rolling parts . I don't know if they redesigned the course altogether recently , or just added the 9 around it , but the design is okay . Disc Risk . There is always some disc risk when there is water present . The fairways sometimes come close to the fences of the houses that line a couple of fairways ( #7, 8 & 9 , and maybe #15 & 17 ) . The course was calm the evening I was there , but the park is fairly open , and good gusts of wind can blow a drive into someone's pool , barbecue pit , or Fido's mouth . Please don't climb over the fence to retrieve it . Calling out of walking around the front and asking is much better .
The course is a fast play . I had little daylight to play and had to rush through without recording the hole by hole descriptions ( it was dark when I finished ) . I played it in 45 minutes , but I would allow maybe an hour solo . Figure a foursome 2 hours . A fast fun play , You must replay this if you played it as a 9 holer and want to see the improvements . No holes that will leave a lasting impression , but I think #5 , had a shot across water to a pin whose green is surrounded by white bricks on a slope for an island hole . I think #12 forces a throw across water to a basket sitting just over a hill . #6 is a drive to a pin wedged into a corner of the park .
Cons: #1. Whoever has control of this course on DGR ( Orlando Disc Golf Club? ) , they need to update the info on this face page . I mean , 2305' for course length ? Please mention the updates and update the map .
#2. Safety . The course is spaced pretty safely apart until about hole 16 , where the course designer was running out of room and had to pile the fairways right next to each other . Be self-aware at the end if you have players behind you . The walking path cuts through the course , so you should be considerate and let any walkers through . Also , there are a couple of instances where your drive may run along a fence line . The lower your drives are , the less chance of picking off a backyard lounger swimmer .
#3 Challenge . This course isn't going to knock your socks off with doglegs , par 4's and 5's , tunnel shots , woods holes . This is a park course . The water and the few trees here do serve as obstacles , though . Do NOT go into the water to retrieve a disc . I heard stories ,,,,
Other than that , just minor things . , could use a few benches or trash cans along the course ( carry out what you carry in ) . bring bug spray , especially in the spring thru fall , plant more trees ,,,,
Other Thoughts: I try to be fair whenever I walk on the grounds of a course , but I also take a look at ratings , reviews and the face page . I can say that this course is vastly underrated . Since the many upgrades and the multiple basket locations and 2 tees per hole and the care that this park receives , this is a worthwhile stop if in the Orlando area . Whatever this course lacks in overall challenge , it makes up for in fun factor . In the short time I was here , I had a blast playing it . In fact , if I lived 5-10 miles away , I would play here almost every week . Other than planting a few trees here and there , I can't see where you could make a big upgrade here . The course has been promoted to Solid IMO , and would be a good play if embarking the Orlando airport and hitting a fast round before going to your hotel . Not only did I like the dual tees and the cleanliness of the park , but I liked the yellow flags on the tops of the baskets , kind of classy . My Recommendation : This course offers a lot more than the review score indicates. Great for newbies , families , locals , course collectors , even good for tournament tested ams and pros to work on their short game , or make up a tee pad in order to throw longer drives . This isn't a must play , but a Good Play . In the Orlando Area , or passing through RT 417 or I-4 , Play It !!!

1    2/10/2018   2/10/2018
Review By: Pedpokz
Pros: Well maintained. Lots of birdie chances, being built in an old guild course gives some elevation and variety. Lots of chances to practice flicks/turn over, but be careful with the houses. A few water features keep it interesting. I don't know how often they switch basket positions but I've seen them in both. Good for beginners and practicing your slower discs . Double palms make natural Mandos if you want to modify for more challenges. Overall decent neighborhood course.
Cons: Construction took out hole 9. Lots of shots are literally along property lines with fences. No real chances to let discs fly. Very busy with pedestrians and kids along the walk ways.

Beginner Friendly Pitch and Putt

1    9/2/2017   9/3/2017
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- free to play
- concrete pads with great corduroy-like grip
- high quality tee signs , very informative
- beginner friendly layout
- high quality baskets
- ace runs
- clean public restrooms on location
- multiple pin placements
Cons:

- construction, hole 9 still missing
- limited parking
- fairways need a mowing
- some baskets are not level
- some fairways overlap
- fairways lack definition
- no long holes
- many fairways boarder private property
- not much punitive play, not much scoring separation

65th Infantry park looks to be located on a retired pitch and putt style golf course within a neighborhood. The flat landscape and general openness make the course approachable to all skill levels. 65th's fairways feature young trees that offer, but certainly don't force, simple shot shaping.

The grass looked semi maintained, maybe a little shaggy. By the looks of it, my guess is that the course probably doesn't get mowed as often as the homeowners mow their own lawns. There's the potential to lose a disc on every hole, some more than others, except on hole #1. Errant drives during your round could mean a lost disc in someone's yard, roof, or swamp. I overdrove hole 6 and sent my red headed stepchild of a backup driver to a watery grave. I didn't love the course, didn't hate it, wouldn't play it again.

Fast Fun Neighborhood Course

1    10/30/2016   10/30/2016
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/21/2017
Pros: Well done neighborhood course that has nice tees and tee signs, decent baskets with two pin placements, slight elevation changes, a couple of water hazards and enough trees to force some shot shaping. Nice course map and DG rules signs. The course is fun to play and can be played very quickly.
Cons: It may be a little on the short side for some.

Other Thoughts: Nothing earth-shattering here, but there is enough variation to entertain most rec-int skill level throwers. If I lived nearby, I would play it every day.

Lots Of Recent Updates

1    10/11/2016   10/16/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
This review was updated on 2/17/2020
Pros: (2.585 Rating) (RE-EVALUATED) A lightly wooded ball golf conversion course.
- UPGRADES - Due to Mr. Frosty's recent review, I decided to update my review as it appears there have been enough upgrades to raise the score. Apparently it's now 18 holes, along with duel tees at two thirds of the holes. For reference, I played when there was only 9 holes and there was just a single set of tees. For these reasons, I decided to bump the score a half disc.
- CHARACTER - With all of the noted upgrades, the basics and extras now exceed the average course. 18 DISCatcher baskets with flags on top. Concrete tees measuring 10 feet long by 5 feet wide. Shelter, restrooms and a drinking fountain near the start of the course. Although not disc golf related, there's a solid playground here as well
- MAINTENANCE - Great course and park upkeep. I didn't see any trash and the grass was mowed through-out on my visit.
- NAVIGATION - High quality course map and tee signs.
- TIME PLAY - Like most lightly wooded compact courses it plays quick. There is also an easy option to transition after hole (4) to tee (12) if time is an issue.

Cons: Too lightly wooded for me.
- UNIQUENESS - 65th Infantry Veterans DGC is a ball golf conversion course. I've played on 5 of these in Florida and haven't been impressed by really any of them. The typical open landscape takes away a lot of the variety options and imagination available for the course designers. Add in the fact that the course is relatively flat doesn't help either. The one nice feature that this course does have however is water... and it's used thankfully. Overall I'd put the hole variety at about 40 percentile.
- LOOSE DISC OPPS - I'd say the disc loss potential is greater than normal. Couple in the fact that you can't go into the water due to the alligator risk doesn't help. There is also a risk to throw into fenced in yards on a few holes.
- MULTI USE HAZARDS - Walking paths come into play on a few holes. Only a very minor issue.
- WIND - A very open layout, so expect wind on most days. I was personally greeted with gusts over 20 mph.

Other Thoughts: As noted in the intro, I felt the need to update my rating due to the most recent review. I can only think of one course that ever added 9 holes and became worse (Bonita Springs DGC). From reading Mr Frosty's excellent review, I can tell that this is not the case and the course deserved a re-evaluation. With the update to 18, I suspect this course gets much more local play and has probably developed a nice local scene of Novices, Recs and Intermediates on the southern side of the Orlando metro area. Not Orlando's best, but it deserves a re-look for those in town who haven't been here in a couple years.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The maintenance aspect is the best attribute in this category. Too lightly wooded IMO to score higher the average though.
- CHALLENGING - I think the ideal audience is Recreational players (900 - 850 player rating). Thus I think difficulty is average. The course will favor bombers over precision masters. 950 rated Advanced players will murder this course.

Well groomed and designed small course

1    3/28/2016   3/28/2016
Review By: fictionfree
Pros: -Smart design - except for 1 -> 2 - all holes flow smoothly into the next. Good use of the old bunkers and hills to make a challenging course
-well groomed - the cleanest and best mowed course I've ever played
-excellent signage (not sure if the arrows under the basket are PDGA legal, but I doubt it matters on this course)
-love that they actually use the flags
-good use of the "threat" of water without actually putting your discs in much danger
-water and bathrooms on site, also some picnic tables and a jungle gym
-very nice tee pads
Cons: - longish walk from the parking lot to hole 1
- fire ants adjacent to some tees
- fire ants everywhere - was only bitten once (my own fault)
- close to private property lines, but I found it easy to avoid
Other Thoughts: Very fast greens with possibilities of skips all over the course - aggressive players could use rollers and skip shots everywhere. This also means a bad shot or an edge landing could lead to roll-always or unwanted skips. I played this with my 5 year old son - we had a lot of fun and it was a good length where we could finish it without him feeling overwhelmed. As we were leaving I saw a young couple playing a casual round. I would have killed to have this course in my backyard growing up - definitely a lot of fun without being too easy.

1    2/26/2015   3/14/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: Very good beginner-level course. Nicely designed, it should prove a good introduction to the sport. While the footprint of the park is very small, and there are backyards bordering some of the holes, the course caters to most beginning players by locating most OB, whether water or private property, to the right of the fairways. At the same time, players will get a feel for the game and will become accustomed to the presence of water, critical if one is to graduate and play at many of the more advanced courses in Florida.
The holes are mostly open, with scattered palms providing a little variety and even a small bit of elevation around a few of the baskets. The holes mostly work within the 200-300 foot range. With nice new baskets, perfect tees and signs that all that can be desired, the course can be said to be well-appointed.
I can't recommend that experienced players go out of their way to play here, but the course appears to accomplish its aim: provide a beginner-level course in an area that was previously barren of disc golf. A very nice introduction to the sport for hopefully many people.
Cons: There are walking paths along many of the holes but I don't feel that this is high-use area and do think that that, given the ability and distance of most players that will use the course, it will not be a huge problem. There is not a lot wrong with the course given the limitations. However, those limitations are severe so the course should really only appeal to locals who don't want to travel into Orlando or dedicated course baggers.