Charlotte, NC
Renaissance Park - RenSke Share
Uploaded By: SpainKiller Hole #3 (Taken 11/2015)

Share URL:

Low on challenge, but still plenty of fun

5+    6/16/2017   6/16/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: + 18 fresh baskets.

+ Excellent tee pads.

+ Very informative, accurate tee signs that do a great job of differentiating between the Renske holes and Renny Gold holes.

+ Good variety as far as direction of play is concerned. Left, right and straight lines in a fairly even mix, with a nice mixture of short to medium lengths utilized.

+ Certain holes offer a variety of routes to the pin. #2, #4 and #9 in particular come to mind.

+ Superb flow, very quick and easy to play. I typically bring a starter sized bag with a few putters and mids, and knock this course out in 30 minutes assuming I don't have to wait on any groups a head of me. This and Winget have some of the shortest transitions between holes, something golfers of any skill level can appreciate.

+ Minimal areas to lose a disc. There are patches of thick rough here and there, but they are situated in areas you're unlikely to land, far away from the putting greens.

+ Plenty of benches between holes, and lots of shade.

+ Two highly regarded 18 hole courses located in the same park, along with a wealth of amenities not limited to tennis, volleyball, mountain bike trails, water fountains and restrooms.
Cons: - Has crossing fairway issues with Renaissance Gold. Renny Gold has a 1000'+ Par 5, 600'+ Par 4, and a 975' Par 5 that intersect roughly half the holes on Renske. This is a significant issue on busy weekends, and I've been forced to wait up to 20 minutes at times to complete the Gold course holes as I wait for back to back groups to clear the fairway.

- Does not offer any long holes. Only three holes are above 300', the rest are in the 175'-275' range. Yes, you can play the Gold course if you want long holes, but there is a fairly wide gap between the skill level required to throw Renske's longest holes and the Pro Players Course or Gold Courses easier holes. I feel one or two holes in the ~350' ballpark would have diversified the shot selection at Renske better. As it is I never bring drivers with me when I play this course, and I still expect to shoot very well.

- One of the easier 18 hole courses I've played. If challenge is something you look for in a course like I do, Renske will leave you wanting.

- Minimal elevation at play.

- No holes stand out to me as being particularly clever or memorable.

- Various holes play next to the park road or nearby parking lots. #1, #2, #15 and #16 are the worst offenders. Exercise caution on these holes when vehicles are approaching.

- Certain holes feel rather uninspired. The first hole is a wide open 320' straight shot, with the only interesting feature being an OB road to the left. The last couple of holes are very plain. Some of the shortest holes give off a bit of a filler vibe, such as #7 and #9
Other Thoughts: My score for this course is on the lower end of the typical scores given to Renske. This is not to imply Renske is a bad course, but rather I feel there are numerous other 18 hole courses in the area that offer more length, a little more variety, par 4's and more interesting elevation. If I would rate courses like Winget, Reedy Creek, Sugaw and Kilborne around 3.5, then I have to give Renske a 2.5-3 as I feel it's a step below those courses.

To me the biggest drawbacks of Renske are the lack of challenge and the interference it causes with my preferred Renaissance layout, the Gold course. Not much to be done about the former issue at this point, and the crossing fairways I can accept as I feel the benefits of having a course catering to a different skill level outweighs the inconvenience this issue causes.

In terms of raw golf I'd rate it 2.5, but with excellent tees, informative tee signs and two other courses in the same park, I'm giving it a 3.

I think Renske is a solid course for beginners to intermediate players, though I could see players on the more skilled end of the intermediate category feeling a little bored with repeat play throughs.

I think anyone, regardless of skill level, can enjoy themselves out here as long as they don't expect to have their skills significantly tested. Not every round needs to be punishing. There is something to be said for a quick to play 18 hole course that is easy on the legs and offers a good mixture of lines.

I rarely play Renske as I prefer Winget, Goat Island, RL, Sugaw etc., when I'm in the mood for an easier course, and with Renny Gold being my favorite Charlotte course it's tough to pass up when I visit this property.

That being said I would recommend golfers of all skill give Renske a go, because I think you will have fun. At the end of the day, fun is why 99% of golfers play the game. Those of us who pursue a greater challenge should keep that in our perspective, and appreciate what courses like this offer the disc golf community.

In itself I do not consider it a destination level course, but combined with the other courses and amenities of Renaissance Park it adds to what was already one of Charlotte's premiere destinations. It adds balance and variety to a location known for beating players down, and serves an important function.

5+    5/8/2017   5/11/2017
Review By: adamwn9
Pros: -Easy to read signs and pads at each hole
-Pretty difficult to lose a disc
-Not hard to be under par
-Good mix of open and wooded holes
-Cool triple mando on 15
-Neat design on 2 that forces a high forehand or a backhand through a lines of trees
Cons: -A few holes are too short, but that's not really a big deal
-None of the holes are very difficult - I'm pretty upset if I bogey anything
-First timers may get confused with the Gold holes that overlap
Other Thoughts: This course is very similar to Eager Beaver in my opinion. Its short, but technical and fun. It can easily be played in under an hour and if you're experienced at all it isn't very difficult to shoot under par. It is probably pretty boring for really experienced players, but fun for newbies and people without huge arms. I prefer the ProPlayers layout.

The Great Equalizer

5+    11/22/2016   11/22/2016
Review By: hyzerkite
Pros: While I have to stay 100% focused to even stay even at Gold, I can shoot in the mid 40s here all the time. I love the speed of play here, it is easy on your body (depending on your choices), plus it hones your short game while letting you still have some rather long shots. I love spiking over fairways here when I need to let off some steam. Just some plain old fun, easy to get back strokes lost, and lost discs are rare. When added to the gray (ppc), course for super renny round of 36 holes, it makes for supreme enjoyment.
Cons: This is a busy one as of late, especially on weekend days. I have played through hords of groups with no problem. You can finish a hole in seconds so it isn't an issue. There are some odd shaped holes but I can officially say all of them can be birdied and aced as well. You have to be creative and do things you might not have ever tried to get the 2 on a few holes. I call that fun, but you might call it unfair. High spikes are your friend out here if you do not want to throw straight shots. No bathrooms, there is a honey bucket beside the kiosk now however.
Other Thoughts: I play this waaaaaaaaay too much, it is just easy and fun and dosent make me look like I have been in some kind of war when I am done like gold. I highly recommend playing gray(ppc) course and adding this hole 18 holes in between hole 12 & 13. You can add par4s of gold to the gray course to spice it up as well. I call Renaissance park a disc golf complex now. It has trumped Elon as the place to play when you want diversity at one location. Renske is a good place to play for everyone, PPC (gray)AKA Gold short is challenging, Gold is just that gold level.

The most reasonable course at Rene

1    10/9/2016   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This is an intermediate level course that most pros will use to warm up for Gold. It's a lot more beginner and intermediate level friendly. The course offers a great mix of technical and power shots. If you start on the Gold course and end up extremely frustrated, move on to this course and get a more confident round.
Cons: It's like playing flag football on the sidelines of an NFL game...

1    8/22/2016   8/28/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: RenSke is a good course for a casual round, especially for beginner to intermediate players. It doesn't have the length or difficulty that an advanced player is looking for, but it caters to the players it was designed for.

+ Good navigation, easy to follow, good tee signs with distance and suggested lines, and next tee signs.

+ Nice concrete tees.

+ Well-marked baskets. RenSke shares fairways on some holes with the Gold course. RenSke baskets all have a red band on them and separate numbering.

+ A couple holes have hyzer and anhyzer routes to chose from. I like having the option; it makes you think.

+ The fairways and rough are fair for a red- to *maybe* white-level course.

+ Decent mix of open, wooded, hyzer, anhyzer, and straight.

+ Low risk of disc loss.
Cons: While this is a good course for casual play, and I would recommend it if you're in town and need a quick course to play or if you live in the area, it has a few cons. Perhaps its biggest con is that it gets compared to the many other stellar courses in Charlotte, including its big brother, Renny Gold.

- While it is a fun course and a cinch to navigate, nothing was really memorable about the course or any particular hole. It's a good course, not a great one. Nothing really wrong with it; it's just average. From an aesthetics perspective, it's not very pretty. And if you were to build an "all-star" course of your favorite holes in Charlotte, I doubt RenSke would contribute any.

- I especially did not like the finishing holes. Number 16 plays over the road entering the park. You have to play an anhyzer line (for RHBH), which isn't an easy shot for the beginner to intermediate player this course caters to. There's a pretty good chance your shot is going to be in the road. Fortunately, it's not especially busy. The other hole I didn't like was 18. There's a big bush right in front of the tee. You have to play a flick of an annie around it, which is fine, but it's too close to the tee, in my opinion.

- I didn't have a problem when I played on a hot summer afternoon, but I've gotta think that foot traffic has to be substantial on this course, especially since it shares fairways with Renny Gold. It would be wise to plan to play at a time when there aren't too many others playing.
Other Thoughts: RenSke is a good course and I recommend it. It's nothing to write home about, but slightly above average without a high risk of disc loss, so why not try it?

RenSke - Fun for All

1    7/16/2016   8/2/2016
Review By: pmay5
Pros: Concrete tee pads, great signs and excellent baskets on every hole. Benches at every tee also. Good flow to the course with open and wooded holes. Nice mix of left and right holes and even a triple mando on the shortest hole (#15).
Most of the open holes were not completely open, they required some shot shaping around the trees and even splitting a tree line right in front of the tee (#2).
Cons: Even though there is plenty of parking at the course, really no facilities available. There probably are some when the ball fields are in use, but not normally. Really no other cons.
Other Thoughts: This course was designed and built for the 2015 Tim Selinske Masters, so it was built with little elevation change and not a lot of distance. I would normally consider those Cons, but it was designed with this in mind.
The open holes share fairway and baskets with the Renny-Gold holes in this section of the course. They are the long, open holes of that course, so they make of 2 or 3 holes of this course. The designers did a great job of dual labeling of the bands on the baskets, half gold (with that hole #) and half red with the RenSke hole #. The tee signs even have #, par, distance and flight path for both courses.
On the day I was at Renny, I got to see all three courses and this one was by far the busiest. I saw a large group of locals (including young daughter and dog in tow), a foursome of two couples, another couple and a minority family. It shows that this course is accessible and playable for everyone. A good addition to Renaissance Park.

well that was fun!

1    6/8/2016   6/8/2016
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic--plays through the 11-13 corridor of renny gold. Area is pretty well known to be disc golf exclusive and we didn't see any non DG'ers doing anything on the course when we were there... Still, watch for people.

Baskets-- DisCatchers. most were painted red for RenSke exclusive baskets, some were red/yellow for baskets that were shared with renny gold. No pro-players intersects here.

Signage-- wonderful. tees were listed as Gold and PadSke to differentiate shared pads.. IF gold fairways were shared with RenSke fairways, this was always denoted along with which hole intersected/paralleled.

Teepads-- Mostly good. Super super gnurled and rocky in places, other places they were really nice.

Challenge/variety--though this is a short course, they did utilize a lot of variables to make the round here truly enjoyable. Lots of rights, lefts, trees trusses and clown mouths help keep it ineresting.

Routing and nav-- not once did we feel like were struggling with finding where we needed, next teesigns were present as well as teesigns showing exit directions.

Cons:
not many really.
Length--yep, it's short but the challenge lies in the natural here. trees define fairways as well as wind and heat all hope to derail your round.

Methane-- the methane release ports in the woods smell like a typical garbage dump and could be distracting depending on the wind.

challenge-- not super high here, scores for an AM3 player should be +5 or less, not a tough course by any means.
RenSke has it's own personality from gold and is definitely it's own beast. For those who don't want to take on the daunting challenge of 9000+ feet of disc golf, play RenSke. Hey, it lets you see some crazy long holes for what they are...Crazy long.

Renny Level 1-1

1    5/30/2016   6/2/2016
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Spainkiller's review is spot-on. This is the perfect warm-up course for Renny. It's basically a city park style course except it's subtly designed a lot better for the most part. Most city park courses are very deuce and die but RenSke makes you work a little bit harder for your birdies. You can't just hyzer around some trees hole after hole here.

There's good balance of wooded and open, the open having a little bit of length to them to warm up the driver while the wooded is largely technical. I opted for FH often in the woods b/c the gaps are just tight enough to make a BH risky occasionally but I don't recall any of them being too "poke and pray" tight, aka unfairways. You also run into some interesting lines like the triple mando on hole 15.

Finding the start of the course isn't a problem if you know which parking lot to go to (not the one for Renny Gold/PPC). Big kiosk thingy and a demonstrative bench welcomes you to hole 1. Unlike other reviewers I didn't notice much of a water retention problem but wouldn't be surprised if it stayed wet after a good rain.

Tees, pads, baskets, and signs are top notch. Can't complain a bit. Terrific course for casual play or boning up on your midrange/putter game.
Cons: Okay, hole 2 is a weird duck. My poor brother struggles mightily with FH and does a big anhyzer once every blue moon so he was just flabbergasted.

I really like hole 16 but there is a lot of potential for a turnover to not stay turned over and fade into the park road.

I wish there was a bit more of a dogleg element or something. Not a lot of extreme angles to worry about.

It's really flat (kind of nice after trekking up and down Renny) and ain't much in the way of really interesting natural features (big rocks, water, etc).
Other Thoughts: This is a great Rec level course. At least 3/4s of it is great for what it is. I like it better than Bailey (less crowded and much harder to lose a disc here) and on par or maybe a little less than Eager Beaver. Nothing here really knocks your socks off but it fills a need of not breaking the will of beginners in this area.

3rd Renny Course Fills A Need

2-4    11/24/2015   11/24/2015
Review By: SpainKiller
Pros: Rennaisance Park is the closest DG location to me in Charlotte, less than 10 miles from my home and office. Now there are THREE distinct courses (54 holes!) in this one location. A quick and well deserved "thank you" to Charlotte Disc Golf for the planning and many hours of hard work that has made this location - and Charlotte in general - a destination for disc golf lovers.

On to this course: It is not a Championship Caliber course. It's not insanely long. It's not a heave and hope track through an impenetrable maze of trees. What it is, is a nice toss in a gorgeous setting - with several birdie runs and several tough pars. Every course doesn't need to be Renny Gold or Winthrop Lake Course. The course mixes in open holes with shorter wooded holes. There is little to no elevation change.

Expert player who wants a good warm up before tackling Gold? RenSke represents a perfect "driving range" for Gold.

Intermediate player who doesn't want a three hour beatdown after work? Come have a nice hour long toss and work on your midrange and putting game.

Beginner looking to learn the game and not have your confidence ruined by super tough holes? This is an ideal place to sharpen up before graduating to other courses in the area.

Parent who wants to teach your children this great game in a non-intimidating setting? RenSke is a perfect place to do so.

The course is in excellent condition, is very well marked, has all concrete tee pads, with signs on every hole, benches on many holes, and all Discatchers (recently painted red to dilineate between the Renny Gold and Pro Players Course - which have gold and white baskets, respectively).
Cons: The course holds water more than most. This may be due to the fact that Rennaisance Park was a huge landfill many years ago. No. 4 on the right side has been a lake every time I've played it (4X now).

The course gets a good deal of traffic. This isn't really a con, as it moves quickly though due to the shorter nature of the course in general.

As others have mentioned, No. 2 is weird and kind of out of place. I like every other hole.
Other Thoughts: Favorite holes:
No. 1 - Nothing like a nice open rip to ease in to the course.
No. 12 - Another open throw, ending in the woods
No. 15 - Triple mando birdie run

RenSke is a perfect addition to Rennaisance Park, giving it three full courses - an expert (Gold), intermediate (Pro Players Course) and beginner/practice (RenSke).

Nice Counterpart to Renny

2-4    6/11/2015   6/11/2015
Review By: TOB3RT
Pros: The main pro I can say about this course is how it is a nice complement to the original Renny. This course is for intermediate, even beginner, level players. The longest hole sits at ~340ft.
-A great course for beginners/intermediate players who need something that is not quite as hard as Renny, but still fun.
-For more advanced players, a good putter/mid course.
-The hole layouts, for me, were excellent. A number of different throws were required, and although holes weren't very long, they still required a bit of finesse. The triple mando on hole #15 was the only one of it's kind I've seen. Not a hard hole at all, but adds something new.
-Clear fairways and well maintained both times I've played.
-Addition of the concrete teepads were quick and the signs are very clear.
-Overall the course is fun if you want to have a mid/putter round. For beginners, there is very little OB to worry about, and when there is OB, is usually for your good/pedestrian good.
Cons: There are a few cons that I considered, but none that would be too much of a hindrance on the overall satisfaction.
-The course has some holes near the parking lot/sidewalk, so potential for hitting cars/pedestrians.
-While the fairways are nice, right outside the fairway on some holes are a thick brush that could have a lot of potential for lost discs.
-Hole #2. The teepad is right near a line of trees. You have to either do a steep anyhyzer/forehand, or cut through the little path the trees offer. Good technical hole for testing accuracy, but too close for comfort. Hardly any room to do anything. Also, if overthrown, straight into a parking lot. Lefty players have a good advantage here. (Although there was a RHBH ace on this hole last time I went).
-The ground was soaked, and it hadn't rained it about 5 days. So definitely the retention of water.
-Some holes overlap the gold holes, and the basket placement for these holes can get confusing. For hole #14, I think I was trying to throw to hole #16 until I saw the basket for #14.
-For those of you who cant find the beginning, it is right before the line of trees starts after turning in to the tennis complex near the back parking lot. Yes, these directions are as confusing as actually going there and finding it.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course is not that bad. Yes it is an easy course, but I did not realize courses were rated based on their level of difficulty. I rated this a 4 due to it's enjoyability. If you want a laid back day to throw on the course, then come here.