Independence, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
Challenging but Fun

1    8/21/2019   8/21/2019
Review By: Botma
Pros: Lots of tree, elevation changes.
Cons: If course is wet, very hard course to walk. Wish the baskets were easier to see from a distance. Older baskets.

An all-time favorite

5+    6/16/2019   6/20/2019
Review By: brendangotta
Pros: I moved to KY back in January and was trying to find a good way to fill my free time. I used to be an avid disc golf player, but stopped playing frequently. I decided to visit a few of the local courses, and since visiting Lincoln Ridge, I'll admit, I'm back to playing regularly.
This is a well designed course in so far as each hole has various challenges, be it the distance, angles, narrow fairways, incline, etc. If you have little to no experience, you can come out and still shoot a relatively decent score, and if you have experience and some skill, you can go shoot a few under par. One of my favorite aspects is the "gettable" nature of each and every hole. When I play disc golf, I want a challenge (of course) but I also want to have a shot at being rewarded for the good shots/putts I put together. What I mean by this is, if I play well, I want it to show on my scorecard, and want to finish below par. There are multiple par 4's on this course, and each one has the possibility of eagle, but with a few of them, a bad shot will result in bogey. This goes perfectly with my "gettable" mindset. If I throw correctly, I'm gonna drop multiple strokes throughout the round. All that said, each and every par three is in the same spot, all makable two's, but all possible bogey's if you hit the wrong spot. I'm a decent player and usually finish under par (best was -9 through the 19 that are available currently) based on the par allotted via the signs, but still find some to be challenging.
Another thing I love - you can play this course by yourself and still have fun, which isn't always the case.
Cons: Five of the holes (14-18) are unavailable currently due to some construction, but this isn't going to be a long term issue.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't made the trip to play, make sure you do. Lots of fun!

Great course!!

1    7/29/2017   4/29/2019
Review By: zfish102
Pros: Great layout with lots of signs to point you to the next hole. Good tee pads. Good mixture of open and wooded holes.
Cons: Could use a few more trash cans throughout the course.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses I have played. It has such a good variety of open and wooded holes as well as change in terrain. Will definitely be back to play again one day.

Logging Rounds at Lincoln Ridge

1    2/3/2019   2/5/2019
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Lincoln Ridge is one of the most beloved courses in disc golf. It is the 21st most played on this website, and the 11th most favorited. On this abnormally warm February day, the course was full of players, and I understand why.

Lincoln Ridge is a fun course!

While every hole plays as a Par 3, the course is full of fun, interesting, and unique shots. You will be throwing downhill and uphill, through the woods and in the open, across creeks and over valleys. For a short course, there is a lot of variety in hot shaping and selection.

This course plays as mostly deuce or die, but that does not mean that it is incredibly easy. The holes are short, but demand a well placed shot and a solid putt most of the time to achieve the birdie. Extreme elevation changes cause an abundance of roll-away opportunities, as well as a fair amount of death putts. I had a few discs go sailing past the basket on shots that were supposed to be layups!

The park is beautiful, with mature trees lining the fairways, and bright green grass in the open fields. This was February! I really hope to get back here during the summertime and the course is in full bloom.
Cons: Lincoln Ridge is an extremely fun course, and that isn't debatable. I don't think it's possible to not love these kinds of courses, and it's easy to see that this course gets a lot of love and attention. However, there are a few cons that make it less than the best.

First, the course is showing it's age. Originally installed in 1981, there are a few structural issues that could be improved that would make the course so much better.

The old Chainstars are more grey than silver, and are hard to see through the woods. On top of that they don't catch as well as the newer, fancier baskets on the market.

The tee pads were shorter, and some were in rough shape. They never created too much of a problem, but enough to note.

Being in use for so many years, there have been some erosion issues, creating some steep drop offs, or slippery areas. This course was pretty muddy after the snow melt, and we had a few close calls.

There were a lot of holes that played close together, with no true overlapping holes, that was good, but I could see there being some issues on the most crowded of days, especially with the newer players out.

Navigation was a little bit of an issue, but wasn't horrible. I printed the map from the course links, which helped a ton.

Most of the holes only had one tee pad and one pin position, which leads to some repetitiveness for a local player, I would imagine. However, with so many local courses, and 24 holes at this course, it isn't that big of a deal.

Lastly, and in my opinion the biggest detractor, is the fact that this is not a championship course. I was not expecting it to be a brutal layout, and I knew it would be a lot of fun, but this keeps me from rating it any higher than I did. Short Par 3 golf is not the most ideal layout for tournament golf, but more suitable for the casual round. This course certainly has it's place, and I can see why it was more busy than the behemoth that is Idlewild, because people don't want to get beaten up. However, this does not make Lincoln Ridge the better course.
Other Thoughts: To date, I will be the 115th review for this course. I will be the third person to give it less than a 4.

I can see that this course is well-loved, and I understand why it's a lot of people's favorite. Lincoln Ridge had been on my wishlist for over two years, and I'm super glad I finally got to play here. The amount of fun to be had at this course is through the roof, so...

Come to Lincoln Ridge, relax, and have fun!

Great Variety

2-4    10/7/2018   10/7/2018
Review By: billtm
Pros: - This is a really fun course that is challenging, but not brutally difficult. There is a really nice mix of holes in terms of elevation change, length, and the shape of the shots.
- The concrete teepads are nice and grippy, and the baskets still catch well even though they seem old.
- Its always nice to have a practice basket.
- The two holes by the creek are really beautiful.
Cons: - In general, navigating the course is pretty straightforward, though its always nice to have next tee signs below every basket.
- I wish there was something on the tee sign which indicated what pin position is currently being used.
- Par is soft on this course. Quite a few par 4s should probably be par 3s and the final hole should be a par 4 instead of a par 5.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, I had more fun at this course than Idlewild. I think that's mostly due to my lack of skill though.

Fun Course

5+    8/16/2018   8/16/2018
Review By: Ace1
Pros: Nice layout. It has 24 holes. There is a good balance of open and wooded holes. Stay on the appropriate lines and a number of the holes can be birdies for sure. This course can be played in about 2 hours if it isn't too busy.
Cons: It gets a great deal of recreational traffic so be prepared to take longer to play the course when it is busy.

A few of the holes need some TLC. Course is worn in spots. These areas could use gravel or mulch to help.

There is some erosion around the baskets and it is slippery in spots even though it may not have rained.

There are a few places where there are some metal posts buried but exposed that someone could hurt themselves if they slip and fall on them. These were probably for holding steps, logs or ties for footing purposes.

Steps on last creek hole, hole 16 I think, need some work.
Other Thoughts: This course is a nice, casual play course that is definitely a fun course.

Just wanted to rate coarse

2-4    7/5/2018   7/5/2018
Review By: CraftyCracka420
Pros: Nice coarse worth playing I got my 1 and only ace in KY on hole in like 04 longer coarse bring water with you and hilly you have some ace run holes like it a lot
Cons: Muddy after storms and it's hilly but worth the trouble most of the time
Other Thoughts: Worth playing

Ridge, Not Rigid.

1    6/9/2018   6/13/2018
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 7/29/2019
Pros: Lincoln Ridge is the 'fun' course of the Cincinnati area's Big 3. Leave the driver in the bag and focus on accuracy and birdie chances. It's a fantastic compliment to Idlewild.
- This is closer to a mid-range course than a long course. The 24 holes average 303 feet (longs) with only one hole longer than 400 feet, the downhiller, closing hole #24 at 519 feet. On a great many holes, mid-range or fairway driver is all you'll need off the tee.
- Excellent use of the terrain. Lots of uphill and downhill holes. Course weaves in and out of the woods throughout, forcing players to alternate between precise accuracy and a chance to catch a break.
- The best example of this course's natural beauty is the three-hole stretch of #14 - 16. #14 is a tight, downhill hole. Keep your shot low and soft to keep it from sailing or rolling away. #15 makes you feel like you're deep in the woods, miles from civilization. I enjoyed this hole slightly more with the recent erosion on the fairway, making it seems that much tighter. #16 is akin its predecessor, with the added touch of an uphill basket. Keep your disc in the fairway on these three holes or have fun making some tough climbs.
- This is a high risk/high reward course. It rewards accurate shot making and aggressive play. This makes for big scoring separations depending on how you're playing on a given day. If I played here regularly, I could see my scores varying by 8 - 10 strokes.
- Some of the course's most enjoyable holes are the simplest. #7 is a fun, short downhiller. I barely threw my putter, keeping it barely off the ground, and let gravity, and a nice roll, bring it 15 feet short of the basket. #10 is a simple, open, slight dogleg left 319-foot layout. A tree, 30 feet in front of the basket, is your challenge from going right at the basket. And, #18 is a 198-foot, uphill shot, throwing through a gap across a ravine. A tap-in birdie or a 6 are both in play, whether your aggressiveness pays off or you smack a tree.
- Take advantage of your birdie chances when you can. The course gets significantly harder in the final third where pars become solid scores. During this stretch is another fantastic hole, #21. Teeing off next to a pond, it's a dogleg right, uphill shot. A roller down the hill, or a bad kick off a tree, and your tee shot may end up wet. It's a simple 3 if played safe. Aggressive players may try for more.
Cons: Erosion is getting to be an issue on some of the sloping holes. You're seeing a lot of washed-away dirt on #8 & 14. Footing was very bad on #14 as I made my way down the hill to approach my shot. This is a similar issue to some of the older, heavily played courses in Charlotte.
- Course was lacking a good par 5, or simply a challenging par 4. Even on #24, I had a 25-foot putt for 3. The lack of length is the course's biggest undoing.
- #22 & 23 seemed unnecessary. After finishing #21, you should just wrap up the course. Instead you play a two-hole stretch of one downhill layout, turn around, and play right back up the hill, then walk to #24. I walked down and up a hill for two simple 3s. It would have been easier to just enter 3-3 in my scorecard, and about as much fun.
- Signage could have been better at times. A couple of next tee arrows are needed - thinking the transition from #13 to 14, and #21 to 22. Also, having a better descriptive tee sign would have helped. In this case, #17 is my example. For a regular, these are non-issues. For us first-timers, it would be a nice aid.
- With the elevation factor in play, there's a higher lost disc/lost time searching for discs factor. On #16, I clipped the edge of a tree, had a big kick to the right back to the creek, and had an adventure locating and getting to my disc. After that, I wasn't about to tempt fate on #17.
- On #24, you tee off next to the park road, close to the original parking lot. Then you throw downhill, play the hole, and walk right back up the hill you just played.
Other Thoughts: Lincoln Ridge was a fun round. Whereas Idlewild was a challenge, this was a walk in the park as I was knocking off holes at a quick rate.
- I never found any long baskets. I don't know if the baskets alternate locations, or if that's no longer an option.
- The first three holes are a fun warm-up to your round. #1 is a downhill, 335-foot layout. You want to be aggressive with your first throw of the round, or ease into your round? #2 is a slight downhill, curved left, 360-foot hole. You need a little more arm here. Then #3 is your first real birdie chance on an open 303-foot layout. For mid-level players, there's no shame in three straight 3s.
- Besides its lack of length, the other drawback here is the lack of memorable holes. There's lot of simple layouts. It's enough to keep it from being elite level. That said, this does make the better holes stand out even more.
- This is a very good course. It isn't elite level. It's overrated being in the 4.5-range. Instead of being in the top 5%, it's a top 10-15%. That's still in the must-play range for me.
- Course gets higher marks for fun-factor than it does for challenge. After playing Idlewild earlier in the day, I needed something easier. This is the perfect compliment to that course. Just don't confuse them for being in the same league.

Idlewild's little brother

1    6/4/2018   6/9/2018
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: This course is set up in a beautiful park that keeps the disc golf separate from any other activities (with the exception of the road coming into play on a couple). The course consists of 24 holes. The baskets here are chainstars that are all in pretty decent shape and catch just fine. Concrete tee pads on every hole with a few having dual pads. These are all level, decent sized and grip nicely. There is a fantastic mix of left, right and straight shots required here. The course is a solid mix of mostly open to mostly wooded with plenty of combinations of both throughout. There is also tons of elevation changes on this course that are used to perfection. Plenty of tough uphill shots, downhill bombs and quite a few playing along side slopes with the potential for roll aways aplenty. The tee signs here have all the pertinent information on them. The hole #, a basic hole layout map, par, distance and any OB designated on them. The course is permanent and free to play, which is always awesome to see. The flow of the course is pretty easy to follow. There is a map on this site that is accurate as well if you happen to get turned around. The course was in fantastic shape when we played it. There are also multiple benches throughout the course which are much appreciated after so many hills.
Cons: Not too much for cons here. The course can seem to get pretty busy since it's the best course in the area for casual players (Idlewild's not casual). The rough in certain areas can get pretty thick and sharp. Just be aware of where you threw and you'll be fine though. A few of the tee pads are in rough shape presumably due to some erosion issues. There's not too much that can be done about this, but a few are showing some heavy wear. Also this is not the most cart friendly of courses. It can be done, but it will take some work.
Other Thoughts: If you're anywhere near here this is definitely worth a visit. This is still a challenging course but not nearly to the extent of Idlewild. With that being said I enjoyed this course more than Idlewild. Probably because it didn't beat me down as hard as big brother did. But if you're a newer or more casual player this is the place to play. This is just a really well designed, fun to play course. Definitely worth a visit if you're anywhere nearby. One of the most fun courses I've played to date.

My favorite

5+    5/23/2018   5/29/2018
Review By: Ozdiscs
Pros: This is by far my most favorite locally for all the reasons others have stated earlier. It's 24 holes of short, medium, long, open, wooded, technical, etc etc. I love this course.
Cons: As much as I love this course, it needs work. Not sure if it's taking longer this year but it's starting to get over grown in areas that need to be trimmed back. A couple holes are a bit treacherous to navigate due to inclines and recent erosion.
Other Thoughts: I still love this course and if you still feel like you have cat like reflexes, do all 24. Not best for beginners. Bring plenty of liquids, it can get hot and water sources are limited to non existent.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12