New Orleans, LA
City Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #9 (Taken 12/2017)

Not Bad

1    3/19/2020   3/19/2020
Review By: samxyx
This review was updated on 7/24/2020
Other Thoughts: This is your basic park course. It plays as primarily open on very flat terrain. A few holes have low ceiling shots going under large oak tree limbs. Course gets a little repetitive with several largely unencumbered, straight-shot, holes around 280' from the tee. Play gets slightly more interesting on the back 9 with a few of the close-out holes requiring skips shots or rollers due to the excessively low ceiling. A good player should get many birdies here. Hard to bogey. Overall not that interesting of a course, with not much to make a player want to return. That being said the course is well maintained, flows nicely, and can provide an enjoyable round. Just don't expect it to overly challenge you.

1    6/3/2017   8/14/2017
Review By: Dube3200
Pros: Can get to this course from downtown NO by taking a trolley. There are a couple holes that border water that are quite pretty.
Cons: Most of the course is fairly similar (more of a "field-style" course). The grounds were fairly damp when I played, leaving me to jump over puddles or walk through the mud.
Other Thoughts: Overall, coming from out of state, I was not particularly impressed with this course. It was what I would call a very typical flat field course, and I tend to prefer elevation changes and forest trees. However, I was happy that it was there, and accessible from downtown even without my own car, so it gets credit for that!

Not bad

2-4    9/3/2016   9/4/2016
Review By: tom2red5179
Pros: I love the par 3 on all the holes, made it easy enough for my partner who is new at the game, to play with me and still make it fun for them, I like how it looks like it was built on an old golf course so I feel kind of as if that is almost the best setting for a disc golf course to be built on.
Cons: The pics of this course on here are very misleading, It shows very clear and easily findable baskets, but most of the time we couldn't even find the baskets until we were right up on them. All it really needs is just a really good clearing out and it would be one of the top courses I'd say i've ever played

Rough around the edges

1    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This is one of 2 full courses in New Orleans, located pretty close to downtown and easy to get to. It is located within a nice large park on a former ball golf course but aside from the occasional jogger you pretty much have the land to yourself. The course is relatively easy to navigate even for a first timer.
Two sets of tees for each hole (pro and am) allowing you to tailor the round to your skill level. There is a good mix of holes from turnover/sidearm shots to hyzers, to straight and narrow and even a few bombers. Overall you'll get a good array of shots to choose from so bring the entire bag.
Considering the type of course I would say I was impressed with the overall use of land and the ability to have the course flow pretty well. Though not perfect by any means the designers clearly did their best to try and use a lot of natural obstacles to create tight fairways and specific routes in an otherwise open course.
Cons: Unfortunately there are a lot of negatives to this course, many of which stem from the fact that even if its not accurate this course appears to have an element of neglect. The fairways, even this time of year are apparently routinely overgrown as they were during my round.
While there are two sets of tee signs for each hole a) Many of them are damaged with elements missing and b) the pro tees have nothing on them other than the hole number leaving distances up to total guess work. They also do not provide any indication to the direction or location of the pin which for the few pins that are blind from the tee pad make for some excess walking.
For me at least I would consider the fact that the courses uses all natural tee pads a negative. Any time you're required to throw a full distance shot you need to have sure footing which cannot be achieved on natural pads, especially when the grass is not always cut.
While there are a variety of shots and routes there are definitely a couple of gimmicky holes. By that I mean there was clearly an element of "hmmm, don't really know what to do with this hole so lets add a few man made elements to make things more difficult". Occasionally some odd pin placements in location to the tee make for nearly impossible routes to reach the basket, at least from the pro tees.
Finally there are a mix of baskets types on the course. From memory I can recall at least 2, maybe even 3 different types of baskets. While this isn't a total killer of a course it does hurt the consistency of the round and give it a less than professional look.
Other Thoughts: As my 97th course, this was my first experience of golf in Louisiana. I only had time to play one course and so chose this one mainly because it was close to where I was staying. I did enjoy my round but as pointed out above there were many factors present making for a weaker overall rating. This course DEFINITELY has potential as the land is clearly not really used by anyone else. A few re-designs here or there could really help this course out. The last few holes (15-18) to me had the feeling of being a rushed design to finish a course and really didn't fit the rest of the course. I also was not a particular fan of the really tall mounted basket on 17. Especially considering even from the red tee (which I had to play because the gold pad route was completely overgrown) is nearly impossible to reach because of a lack of a true fairway on an oddly wooded hole.

There is a significant amount of additional land right next to the course. I don't know if its possible or what the park currently allows but I would recommend the local club or course designers incorporate this area and scrap some of the shorter holes which are just glaringly out of place compared with the rest of the course. I would love to come back once they finalize everything and see the improvements.