Wilkesboro, NC
Rolling Pines DGC Share
Uploaded By: splatbaseball51 Hole #5 (Taken 8/2015)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Awesome Course with a great design!

1    7/27/2019   9/9/2019
Review By: RANDYP2003
Pros: A very well designed course! The layout of the course was both open as well as wooded, so gave you a challenge yet ease of accessible shots!
Cons: Try to avoid playing in early morning, the dewy grass was a bit messy...but probably more comfortable than playing in the heat of the day!
Other Thoughts: Would definitely return if in the area!

The Pines Didn't Move

1    11/30/2018   12/2/2018
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Rolling Pines is a public course on a property that is solely meant for disc golf. This automatically makes it special, as it is accessible to everybody, but still has a private feel.

While amenities are most definitely not everything, this course has some of the best I have ever seen. Nice tee signs and tee pads, bag hangers, numerous benches, navigational signs, hole numbers on the Tee Pads. This course also has some great wooden structures around the baskets and tee areas.

The design of this course is a lot of fun. The designers utilized every hill and valley of the property, and created a good variety of uphill, downhill, cross-hill, and flat holes. While the course utilizes a primarily par 3 layout, there is a variety of distances, ranging from the must get 2, to a struggle for par/hope for bogey.

Navigation was a breeze, as there were signs on each basket, and more surrounding, plus, many tee pads were not far from the previous hole's basket. The baskets were bright and highly visible, making navigation to the basket easy as well.

The land was beautiful. The rolling hills, the mature pine trees, and the well-kept foliage provided a relaxing environment. On the downhill shots, you could sit back and look over the trees at the mountains.
Cons: Rolling Pines is a super solid course, and a lot of fun, but there are a few things that put it outside the true top-tier courses.

A few holes played close to others, where an errant shot could end up in the way of another hole's fairway. While the course has implemented a few Mandos as well as OBs, discs could easily be thrown in the wrong place, hopefully not at the wrong time. That makes tournament's here a little bit more of a waiting game than at other courses.

The OB markers were cord placed in the ground, which if it was restructured every month or two, it could work extremely well. However, over time, the wire has twisted, causing some uneven boundaries, as well as some places getting covered in mud and gravel, making the OB a guessing game. However, most of these places should be intuitive, and I imagine it is fixed when there is tournament play.

The long tees are a legit challenge. Most holes are long par 3s that are unreachable for mortal arms, throwing less than 450 feet. This makes the local Advanced/semi-pro player throwing a par-filled round. If a touring pro were to play this course, it could show lower scores and more scoring separation, but for most it's get your par and move on.

This course has no Par 5s, and two designated par 4s. You are still going to throw a variety of shots, with a lot of distance, but this isn't a par 70 monster. I would love to play a course like this, but longer.
Other Thoughts: I had a fantastic time playing this course on my way to Charlotte. It was a great place to throw through the pines and up and down the rolling hills. Note: The pines did not roll, they were stationary during my visit.

In all seriousness, this is a course I would love to play over and over again, perfecting the lines that need to be hit, and working on combining distance and accuracy. It's a must play for local and travelling players alike!

Beautiful course with lot's of tweeners

1    10/26/2018   10/26/2018
Review By: J-H,ghar
Pros: This property is perfect and Taylor Made for Disc golf. It is beautiful , well manicured , and has the perfect amount of openness and trees to make the course interesting.

There are some really picturesque holes here that will make you stop to take it all in and some really great holes as far as DG lines go as well.

Signage and navigation is very easy.

You don't see many holes that are designed with the pro market in mind and this is one of the few who take on the challenge of pushing pro players to test there skills.
Cons: Unfortunately I think they are pushing just a little too much in a few places and that causes several holes that are just non-scoring separators. 90% of a pro field will just get a 3 and move on. Most of these holes are 500' uphill holes that most high level players are ending up just outside circle 2 and having a little layup for a 3. Unfortunately not very exciting for the player or anyone watching.

Several pads just end and there is not much room to follow through without falling down a large hill or drop off. The pads can also be pretty slick if wet. There is almost no room on hole 13 short to follow through.

Kingpin Baskets are not that great. I don't know if it's the light chains or what but they do not seem to catch very well.
Other Thoughts: This course is beautiful and was very unique but I was not a fan of all of the hole just because of the lack of scoring separation. It is still a very good course but just wasn't as exciting as I expected.

Keep Rolling

5+    8/17/2018   8/18/2018
Review By: Styles
Pros: Rolling Pines claims to be the #2 public rated disc golf course in NC. It sure lives up to it. This course has everything for any player of any skill level. This course is maintained beautifully by the town of Wilkesboro. There is plenty of benches and a place to use to restroom! It has a perfect balance of wooded and open areas. I enjoy the fact that there are long tees and short tees. I've been playing 8 months so the short tees are perfect for me. The short tees are also less wooded which makes it more comfortable to test out/get used to a certain disc. The tee offs are concrete which I personally find to be the most comfortable. Playing at Rollin Pines can really make you feel like an awesome player. It's beautiful and great all the way around.
Cons: No practice basket
Bees at the tree nearest the basket on hole 11

Great Learning Course

5+    8/15/2018   8/17/2018
Review By: justinksg
Pros: I just started playing disc golf a month or so ago and this course has been an excellent place to learn the basics. There is a lot of very open holes which leaves a little more room for error, especially for those that are new to the sport. I enjoy every hole on this course and believe that there is good balance between open and wooded areas, although it wouldn't hurt to have a couple more wooded shots. The course is very well maintained and has become somewhere I like to go after work multiple days of the week.
Cons: - No practice hole! As a beginner, I feel this is something that would be highly useful to have.
-There were a large amount of Japanese hornets in the hole 11 area and looked to be nesting in one of the tree's by the hole. My partner is allergic to bees and those are known to be aggressive.
- A sewer treatment plant is right beside the course. It gives off strong odors that you can usually notice on hole 9,16,17, and 18. On a windy day, the scent is definitely more noticeable.
Other Thoughts: I have a blast every time I come on this course! I have played 3 courses total in the last month and I can't brag enough how much better this course is than any of the others I've played, I nearly feel spoiled on it because it's so well kept!

Rolling Pines

2-4    6/23/2018   6/29/2018
Review By: dndelli
Pros: Rolling Pines is located on a picturesque former tree farm, with large pine trees dotting it's grassy fairways, giving the course both its name and signature feel. Few courses I have played seem to get the same amount of maintenance this course receives. I played one evening and a large branch had broken on a tree in the middle of the fairway for hole 15, in less than 24 hours that branch was gone.

Rolling Pines features white and gold tees, allowing players to choose their preferred difficulty. While I haven't yet gotten a chance to play the gold tees yet, you can tell by looking at them that they certainly add difficulty while often times changing up the line you will need to throw, which is my preferred method for having long tees on a course.

The tees are definitely noteworthy as well. Every tee is uniform, with the same dimensions and made of concrete. It seems like a lot of effort has been put in to making sure all the tees are perfectly level, which is a nice touch as well. The drop zones also have concrete tees (Hole 10's is still under construction). The tees also have bag holders, which is great! Plenty of benches throughout the course, so you can stop and relax during your round.

The holes manage to all be mostly open fairways, without being a completely open field shot, which is appreciated. The large pines, for which the course is given its name, force you to shape your shot from the tee, but you are often gifted multiple potential lines to make it down the fairway. With a nice mixture of low and high ceilings, this course rewards you for having a good drive, but won't crush your soul the way some NC courses will.

Elevation comes into play on a couple holes which helped keep the course from becoming repetitive. Holes 9 and 14 are interesting uphill throws. Holes 6 and 13 are tight downhill shots. Hole 12 you are throwing along a ridge with a steep drop off to both the left and right.

There are water spigots throughout the course, allowing you to refill your water bottles as needed. As well as preventing the need to carry more than one bottle with you.
Cons: I personally found the signage to be somewhat lacking. While it was definitely serviceable, there were a few holes where the signage could have done a better job identifying the OB. This may not have been a problem in the past, but the OB markers throughout the course were all faded when I played. Clearly in the past both painted lines and red cord has been used to mark OB, but these were often located on different lines. If I was not playing with a local - I would not have noticed most of these.

If you've read other reviews for the course, you will know that the baskets are Kingpin - which are known for spitting discs out. I was fortunate enough to have this information beforehand, but I still had a couple of close calls where my discs didn't want to settle in the basket.

I personally would have preferred one or two more wooded hole. I think the course does a great job of keeping a lot of variety in the way its open holes play, but being in the woods every once in a while would have made the course a touch more interesting. There would be more excitement with every playthrough.

The course is situated next to a water treatment plant, which can be seen from Hole 9's green, and you pass from Hole 15 to Hole 16. There is a distinct smell that is clearly associated with this, but since Wilkes County DG Club owns the land Rolling Pines is located on - I personally can overlook the smell. Some other may not be able to.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Rolling Pines is an outstanding course - and there is a reason it has earned it's high score here on DGCR. I've only played a handful of courses that receive the same level of maintenance that Rolling Pines does. If I lived in Wilkesboro, this would probably be my favorite course to hit up during the week after I get off from work.

Favorite White Holes: 6, 9, 12, 15

Very Impressive

1    8/17/2017   8/17/2017
Review By: Erbgottie51
Pros: This is got to be in my top 5 of all time including courses all over VA, WV and NC.

+signage is amazing, tee pads are legit and bag holders a plus....on every hole / tee (gold or orange)

+Location is amazing! Winding through the trees and open fields is really breath taking.

+Shot selection is awesome and challenging to choose the right disc and flight path to your Pin.

+Trash cans spaced at more than just the entrance and benches along the way as well.
Cons: -I don't usually nag because I'm a simple fella but after a couple of holes I was craving a tight wooded shot other than that let the discs fly!
Other Thoughts: As said previously this is top 5 course I've played ever, very well done Wilkesboro..........this is a heavenly sight for a disc golf fan!

World Class

1    5/10/2017   5/10/2017
Review By: Mike C
Pros: + One of the more demanding courses I've played, shooting from the Gold tees. Few courses manage to challenge me as well as Rolling Pines, especially when you take into account how open it is compared to say, Nevin or Angry Beaver, two other very tough courses. The pars from the Gold tees respected my ability to throw 450+', and often demanded it to have a good chance at birdie. It was demanding without ever feeling unfair in the slightest.

+ Excellent shot variety. Throwing from the longs there is a very well rounded mix of lines demanded. There are both longer holes and shorter holes, left turns and right turns, steep uphill and steep downhill shots, narrow fairways and wide open fairways, low ceilings and no ceilings. The course never feels repetitive from the golds.

+ Incredible elevation use on nearly every hole to create distinct feeling shots. There are dramatic up and down hill shots on a near constant basis, with no hole playing completely flat. #12 is probably the flattest, but its a 40' wide fairway with a steep drop off on either side, so elevation still comes into play.

+ Absolutely gorgeous property that is solely for disc golf. I saw one other group of golfers finishing up on 18 when I started, and saw one group behind me half way through my round. Three groups on a beautiful weekday afternoon including myself, not another soul in sight. Very peaceful.

+ Meticulously maintained. The grass was very well mowed all over, save for #9 where it was a bit long. Great for throwing rollers!

+ 18 new, bright, highly visible baskets.

+ Two sets of perfectly level, generously sized, expertly paved tees for every hole.

+ Most tees boxes and pin positions feature tasteful wooden framing.

+ It's mostly free of rough. Avoid turning your RHBH shot over on #3, keep it on the fairway on #12 and avoid fading out left into the trees on #9 and you shouldn't ever lose a disc.

+ Water, restrooms and electricity available.

+ Numerous benches throughout the course.

+ Superb tee signs showing par, hole length, lines to the basket etc.

+ Navigation is simple and requires no map.

+ Most baskets are readily visible from the tees, even playing from the golds. For a first time player this reduces the amount of time spent walking down fairways to assess lines to the pin.

+ Camping nearby. Ft. Hamby has tent sites and a good course right on the property.
Cons: Bear in mind everything I'm listing in this section is nitpicking, and did not detract from my enjoyment at Rolling Pines at all:

- No Practice basket. I usually don't use them so I didn't mind.

- I had one spit-out that shouldn't have happened. Normally I'd chalk it up to luck but other reviewers have mentioned it, so I thought I'd point it out.

- There were one or two holes from the Golds that were listed as par 3's that I felt were bordering on par 4's. I'm not even going to claim that having them as par 4 would be more accurate, just that they were pretty damn tough for Par 3's. Holes #4, #5, #14 and #16, while certainly possible to 2 if you're a gold level player, are among the tougher Par 3's I've ever played. To me this is a good thing since 99/100 times I find par on the easy side if anything, but some might view this as a negative.

- While the overall shot variety is truly outstanding, I did feel the short, straight wooded shot was a touch over played. The elevation changes help make the holes feel different, especially in 13's case, but #2, #6, #10, #13, and #17 all have a lot of similarities.

- For a course full of memorable holes, I felt #18 was completely forgettable. Not sure what I'd have done different, I'd have to think about it, but it was weird playing so many epic, memorable holes like 9 and 12, but ending on such a pedestrian 350' hyzer line. That's not to say its a bad hole, just that many courses tend to end in more memorable or exciting ways.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely one of the best courses I've ever played. Its long and demanding, but also very fun.

Everything about Rolling Pines is simply superb. The golf itself, the tees & signage, the condition of the course property. There is no reason not to go out of your way to play here.

Near Perfection

1    3/20/2017   3/21/2017
Review By: superium
Pros: Course is a perfect example on how all courses should be built and designed. Great variety of shots, distances, elevation changes to attract players at all skill levels. Contains all the amenities (benches, signage, trash cans, bathrooms, etc.) a course should have.
Cons: Couldn't find many flaws on this course if any. The only hole I think could be improved with a more defined fairway would be 15 from the long tees. Maybe a tree or 2 and/or some overhang could be removed.

Beautiful course

5+    2/25/2017   3/2/2017
Review By: Khdiscgolf
Pros: This course is incredible. It has a nice mix of open holes as well as wooded technical holes. The course is VERY well maintained as this is one of Wilkes County's newer courses. The course is mostly par 3s but there are a few long par 4s to switch it up. Several events take place at this course including glow golf, dubs, singles events and tournaments of all kinds. I highly recommend trying this course out if you are in the area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4