Kernersville, NC
Patriot DGC Share
Uploaded By: Tenacious EJ Hole #14 (Taken 4/2015)

Well Manicured

1    7/16/2017   7/22/2017
Review By: Jurd269
Pros: Every hole is well-marked, navigation was a breeze

Large tee pads allowed for up to 5 steps for me

Good signage that shows where the pads and baskets are relative to one another

Two pads per hole to allow for beginner or advanced distance

Reachable greens for a beginner, putted for birdie several times

Some good hole variety

Well manicured, course is in good shape
Cons: Many holes just repeat the "throw a straight shot through a clear field then get up and down from 50ft" theme

No good choice to just play 9 holes if you wanted to. Holes 9 and 10 are a long way from the parking area
Other Thoughts: I would definitely play this course again. As a beginner only able to throw my drives about 250ft, this was the perfect experience. The details of the course are well thought-out in terms of raised poles for your group to hang their bags on, especially useful if the ground is soaked.

A Must Play NC Course

5+    7/3/2017   7/9/2017
Review By: kvillegreek
Pros: * Large Tee Pads
* Great Signage
* Easy enough for beginners to enjoy it and not get frustrated but difficult enough that seasoned veterans will find it challenging
* Good mix of open and wooded holes. Most holes apply both.
* Plenty of parking.
Cons: * Currently there are 2 holes that are temporary due to some gas pipe construction. The two "new" holes are basically in a big field so it cuts down on some of the challenges this course can provide. Especially since one of the holes not being used (13) is probably the hardest hole on the course.
*grass could be mowed more often.
*a little bit of a hike between 7/8 and 11/12
Other Thoughts: I've played most of the "top" courses in NC and honestly, this one is my second favorite in the state right after Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro.

best course in the area?

1    11/13/2016   11/15/2016
Review By: EROPPER
Pros: Very well cared for, great signage /markers, 2 sets of tee boxes, Open terrain with some woods/tunnel shots mixed in, nice variety, but favors those with big arms/distance
Cons: beginners can't throw far enough to have fun here? no chance to Par? Even from the "easy" tees?
Other Thoughts: Best course overall I've played in the area, highly recommended, would think they should adjust and mark appropriately, the easy/difficult tees, different Par level, so even beginners can hope to make pars here on occasion

Get Ready. Even Pros will struggle here.

2-4    4/13/2016   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: One of the finest and best maintained courses I've ever played. Last time I played I was a bit off my game and this course ate me up (I think I finished +8 or +9). This course requires a wide variety of shots and will test your perseverance when you get off the fairways. Power and control are essential when playing here, but putting is what will make or break your game. Due to the open nature of a lot of the holes, playing in the wind can be really challenging, but it's not impossible.
Cons: Plan your trip. It can be a very busy park so occasionally there will be pedestrians, kids, and run of the mill chumps everywhere. Apparently, nobody understands that these discs hurt if you get hit, they'll learn, but it'll mess up your approach.

1    5/26/2016   5/28/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Patriot DGC is an excellent new course in the Triad. In terms of open, big arm courses, this is probably in the top 3 or 4 I have played. When I say big arm, I mean big arm. There are numerous opportunities to bomb.

+ Best navigation and tee signs I've ever seen on a course. There are big next tee numbers and arrows after each basket. And at the tees, there are great signs at the red *and* blue tees. Also, each hole has a bag holder.

+ The signage makes you feel like you're on an above average course, but the overall look and feel of the park takes it to the next level. The course is immaculate. I feel like open, ball golf style courses have to meet a higher standard in terms of maintenance. You want the grass to be short, the fairways beautiful. The Patriot delivers and then some. Not only that, but the patriotic theme of the whole park -- the flags lining the road as you drive in, the amazing memorial in view from several holes on the course -- it's just an A+ course in terms of how nice it is.

+ Great concrete tees, big enough for the length of the holes. Good baskets too.

+ Really nice elevation. There are a number of extra long downhill holes. I believe it's hole 6, in particular, with the steepest downhill, playing to a blind basket. It's deceiving from the tee, but when you walk down the fairway, you see how steep the drop off is.

+ Good mix of hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots.

+ Good park amenities, in addition to the aesthetic niceties described above. Picnic areas, shelters, volleyball, fields, etc.
Cons: - My only negative is the other side of the coin from its main positive: wide openness. There isn't much variety in terms of wooded holes, although they do a nice job of locating baskets near guardian trees on some holes. But if you're looking for a course that covers everything from open to wooded, the Patriot doesn't have it. It's simply an open course. It will humble you if your drive isn't long. But if you like this style of course and have a big arm, you won't have an issue with it. For noodle arms like me, it was frustrating at times. Not really the course's fault though!
Other Thoughts: Top notch course. Bring your sunscreen. Not much shade. Sun's out, guns out!

Fun Place to Play

1    5/4/2016   5/5/2016
Review By: asromatifoso
Pros: The bag hangers, signs, concrete tee pads, manicured grounds and overall look of the course lend a very professional atmosphere. Some money and care have obviously been, and continue to be, put into this course. I really liked that there are no walking trails bordering/running through the course and that the holes seem to be laid out in a logical manner. Had a great round here even with a mediocre score. I played from the reds and found some holes, such as 2, pretty challenging, and others, some short, wide open holes relatively easy. I found opportunities to use, or at least attempt, forehands, hyzers, anhyzers, and even a couple of grenades (tree trouble-not much out there but I managed to find it). I think it's a good challenge but after a couple more times there, I think the reds will be a bit too easy. Overall, a great experience and a course I will definitely return to in the future.
Cons: Will quickly grow too easy from the reds but that's why you have the blues to play from, right?

Course doesn't come back close to the parking lot after nine, so if you are trying to get in only nine, running out of daylight, you have a hike back.

Bag holders are awesome (wooden post) but would have preferred wooden or metal dowels (which are what your bag hangs from) to plastic. To be fair, I didn't see any broken ones but they don't seem very durable.
Other Thoughts: Soon, I think I will start playing a mixture of red and blue tees and then, eventually, move up to all blues. That being said, playing from the reds was a lot of fun, if somewhat easy. It's a really good course and I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Great Course, Fairly Easy

5+    5/2/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: skadoosh0019
Pros: - Easily the best maintained course I've ever played in, and I feel like I've played several good ones. The little bag holders at the tees, no litter, great signage, underbrush isn't a problem, etc.

- Want birdies? This course is chock full of opportunities to bang the chains under par.

- When you're not in the woods, the course is pretty wide open. And I have to admit, that's my kind of course, so I consider it a pro.

Cons: - If you want a challenge or a lot of holes that strenuously dictate your path because if you don't hit the gap right or hold a perfect line for 200 feet through the woods...then Patriot DGC is probably not for you. Tight, technical play is not the name of the game here.
Other Thoughts: I've got 3 courses that I play regularly in the Greensboro/High Point area. Patriot is my personal favorite of the bunch.

Beautiful Course

1    4/16/2016   4/21/2016
Review By: Banner
Pros: Well marked and maintained. Nice tees
Cons: Only played it once and found it fun and interesting. I guess I can see how some are saying it could get repetitive, but if you play any course a lot that could always happen. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it!
Other Thoughts: Great course in a beautiful park.

Incredible quality with unremarkable design

5+    2/25/2016   2/26/2016
Review By: SnuggieHoarder
This review was updated on 5/30/2016
Pros: This is the course that introduced me to disc golf. I'll always enjoy playing it, but some love is tough love.

Equipment:
As many have said before me. The quality of the tees, signs, holders, benches and upkeep is better than any course I've ever played. They did a good job building it and do a good job with keeping the woods under control and mulching it.

Layout:
This is a great place to learn to play. The red tees are a good mix of technical and open shots. The odds of losing a disc are decently low as well.
Cons: Layout:
The better you get the more monotonous this course becomes. A lot of the holes have you throwing from near or slightly in the woods to a pin that's near or slightly in the woods. It wouldn't be that bad, but oftentimes you can look behind the blue tees and see an alternative spot that would make the hole a lot more interesting.
Other Thoughts: Rounds generally take 1-2 hours if you're playing solo..

It's a good course in a great park. Play some disc golf, have a picnic and enjoy your weekend.

Patriot DGC

2-4    1/14/2016   1/19/2016
Review By: dndelli
Pros: Patriot DGC is easily one of the nicest courses I have ever played at. There are two tees at every hole and the signage is extremely clear and concise. It is very apparent, even when you first pull into the parking lot at the back of the park, that whoever designed and maintains this course has looked into different courses and players to see what amenities they should include. There are two tee signs per hole, one per tee, and easy to follow signs that point towards the next hole. Each tee, even the short tees, are an appropriate size of nice laid concrete. Each tee also has its own bag post, so that players can hang their disc bags before teeing off, in order to keep them off the ground and out of the potential mud. There are quite a few benches and nice trash cans every few holes.

The course itself is extremely well maintained and manicured. The grass is kept at a very respectable and playable height. There is a good mix of elevation changes here. The two different tees also help vary up the types of shots needed as well as give a different challenge for players of different skill levels. There are a few shots that start wooded and open up into a field and vise-versa.

The large open shots, and there are quite a few here, are perfect for players who are trying out a new disc or a trying to dial in their shots. I hadn't played much for over 2 years when I played here, and it was great for me to touch up the basics on my drives.

As a new course, there are a few young trees that have been planted in order to create obstructions and in a few years will make this course much, much better in my opinion.
Cons: Unfortunately, as perfect as this course could have been with how well it is maintained, it does struggle to live up to its potential. One of the biggest problems I encountered was the number of times I walked through a wooded section to reach yet another wide open shot. I absolutely love courses that have the long, open, grassy fairways, but this course could have used one or two more fully wooded holes.

As I said, some trees have been planted to create obstructions in the fairways, but personally more of the holes need this added benefit. Hole #11 sticks out in my mind as being way too open, and the only challenge is the elevation change near the hole as well as the tree line behind the basket. It is clear that whoever has built this course wants it to flourish, and I have no doubt that if a few more obstructions can be added to the unobstructed open fairways, this course could become one of the most television friendly tournament courses in the state.

There is a large tract of wooded land that this course bumps up next to around Hole #9, if there is enough room there, it would be lovely if the park put in a more technical course (or even just a few holes) in those woods.
Other Thoughts: I love the growth potential for this course, as well as the park it is located in. It is clear that this park is well maintained and is kept very clean. Hopefully this trend continued and other courses in the area pick up some of the great ideas this course has implemented. (Such as the bag poles at every tee. The three trees that have been planted in the fairway of Hole #5, will in 5-10 years, make that hole one of my favorite style holes in disc golf. Open fairway, but not a free birdie.

The park this course is located in is extremely nice and the war memorial the course is located next to is absolutely beautiful.

Favorite Holes: