Kernersville, NC
Patriot DGC Share
Uploaded By: Tenacious EJ Hole #7 (Taken 4/2015)

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3
Red, White and Blase

1    8/12/2017   8/16/2017
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: Patriot-a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors

There you have it, the definition of Patriot. So, what comes to mind when you think of Patriot, George Washington, The American Flag, or Tom Brady?

Patriot DGC is reminiscent of what early America really was, a beautiful park, that is perfectly maintained, with immaculate signs and amenities that screamed, "come to me!"

The tee signs were extremely helpful, included a map, distance, and par. The concrete tees were nice and fair, because, of course. It's America. The baskets were of the highest quality, Discatchers, which caught well, and did their job.

There were a few nice holes thrown in there. From the blues, you had the opportunity to air out a whole lot, and you also had some holes with trees, to give you an opportunity to navigate a fairway or two.

Navigation from hole to hole was an absolute breeze. I never got lost, and even when there was a semi-long walk, there were at least a couple arrows to point you to the next tee.

I mentioned the beauty of the park, but, the beauty of the park! Driving in, and seeing the war memorial, it was mesmerizing. Other things within the park, you could spend a week here without doing the same thing twice.
Cons: Sadly, the hype, and the overall fašade was hiding what this course really is. An open course with untapped design potential, and an overall lack of amazingness. I so wanted to throw down the rolling hills, or through the wooded forests that lined the otherwise lack-luster fairways.

A large portion of the holes were wide-open, with not much chance for a possible scoring separation. An easy drive, up-shot, drop in. Nothing absolutely spectacular.

Not a single hole I played blew me away. Sure, there were a few holes that were well designed, or well thought out, but in a couple weeks, I won't be able to tell you what the hole was, unlike some other course I have played and given a similar rating, or even worse.

With such solid amenities, I was aching for more. I just wanted so badly for there to be a hole that I would love so much, or a hole that made me yearn to come back to Patriot. Sadly, there wasn't really a hole that made me want more.
Other Thoughts: The Patriot, I think, is something comparable to early America, obviously I am making that overall analogy due to the namesake, but bear with me.

Imagine, you are on the first ship to America, and there it is. A beautiful view of the mountains and forests, with open grassy fields. You can't wait to explore, but you are underwhelmed, because rather than climbing the mountains, or looking through those woods, you are walking the grassy plains, hoping to finally do your own thing, but rather work in the fields to make it better for others. In reality, it isn't much better than others, but you can see the potential in it, so you continue to hope.

That is the same thing you get when you play Patriot. You want more, you need more, but you don't get it. You get perfect amenity filled park golf, but you don't get the best that North Carolina has to offer.

Still, I would play it again. I just think there was a lot more that could have been done for the course to make it so much better.

Well Manicured

1    7/16/2017   7/22/2017
Review By: Jurd269
Pros: Every hole is well-marked, navigation was a breeze

Large tee pads allowed for up to 5 steps for me

Good signage that shows where the pads and baskets are relative to one another

Two pads per hole to allow for beginner or advanced distance

Reachable greens for a beginner, putted for birdie several times

Some good hole variety

Well manicured, course is in good shape
Cons: Many holes just repeat the "throw a straight shot through a clear field then get up and down from 50ft" theme

No good choice to just play 9 holes if you wanted to. Holes 9 and 10 are a long way from the parking area
Other Thoughts: I would definitely play this course again. As a beginner only able to throw my drives about 250ft, this was the perfect experience. The details of the course are well thought-out in terms of raised poles for your group to hang their bags on, especially useful if the ground is soaked.

A Must Play NC Course

5+    7/3/2017   7/9/2017
Review By: kvillegreek
Pros: * Large Tee Pads
* Great Signage
* Easy enough for beginners to enjoy it and not get frustrated but difficult enough that seasoned veterans will find it challenging
* Good mix of open and wooded holes. Most holes apply both.
* Plenty of parking.
Cons: * Currently there are 2 holes that are temporary due to some gas pipe construction. The two "new" holes are basically in a big field so it cuts down on some of the challenges this course can provide. Especially since one of the holes not being used (13) is probably the hardest hole on the course.
*grass could be mowed more often.
*a little bit of a hike between 7/8 and 11/12
Other Thoughts: I've played most of the "top" courses in NC and honestly, this one is my second favorite in the state right after Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro.

best course in the area?

1    11/13/2016   11/15/2016
Review By: EROPPER
Pros: Very well cared for, great signage /markers, 2 sets of tee boxes, Open terrain with some woods/tunnel shots mixed in, nice variety, but favors those with big arms/distance
Cons: beginners can't throw far enough to have fun here? no chance to Par? Even from the "easy" tees?
Other Thoughts: Best course overall I've played in the area, highly recommended, would think they should adjust and mark appropriately, the easy/difficult tees, different Par level, so even beginners can hope to make pars here on occasion

Get Ready. Even Pros will struggle here.

2-4    4/13/2016   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: One of the finest and best maintained courses I've ever played. Last time I played I was a bit off my game and this course ate me up (I think I finished +8 or +9). This course requires a wide variety of shots and will test your perseverance when you get off the fairways. Power and control are essential when playing here, but putting is what will make or break your game. Due to the open nature of a lot of the holes, playing in the wind can be really challenging, but it's not impossible.
Cons: Plan your trip. It can be a very busy park so occasionally there will be pedestrians, kids, and run of the mill chumps everywhere. Apparently, nobody understands that these discs hurt if you get hit, they'll learn, but it'll mess up your approach.

1    5/26/2016   5/28/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Patriot DGC is an excellent new course in the Triad. In terms of open, big arm courses, this is probably in the top 3 or 4 I have played. When I say big arm, I mean big arm. There are numerous opportunities to bomb.

+ Best navigation and tee signs I've ever seen on a course. There are big next tee numbers and arrows after each basket. And at the tees, there are great signs at the red *and* blue tees. Also, each hole has a bag holder.

+ The signage makes you feel like you're on an above average course, but the overall look and feel of the park takes it to the next level. The course is immaculate. I feel like open, ball golf style courses have to meet a higher standard in terms of maintenance. You want the grass to be short, the fairways beautiful. The Patriot delivers and then some. Not only that, but the patriotic theme of the whole park -- the flags lining the road as you drive in, the amazing memorial in view from several holes on the course -- it's just an A+ course in terms of how nice it is.

+ Great concrete tees, big enough for the length of the holes. Good baskets too.

+ Really nice elevation. There are a number of extra long downhill holes. I believe it's hole 6, in particular, with the steepest downhill, playing to a blind basket. It's deceiving from the tee, but when you walk down the fairway, you see how steep the drop off is.

+ Good mix of hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots.

+ Good park amenities, in addition to the aesthetic niceties described above. Picnic areas, shelters, volleyball, fields, etc.
Cons: - My only negative is the other side of the coin from its main positive: wide openness. There isn't much variety in terms of wooded holes, although they do a nice job of locating baskets near guardian trees on some holes. But if you're looking for a course that covers everything from open to wooded, the Patriot doesn't have it. It's simply an open course. It will humble you if your drive isn't long. But if you like this style of course and have a big arm, you won't have an issue with it. For noodle arms like me, it was frustrating at times. Not really the course's fault though!
Other Thoughts: Top notch course. Bring your sunscreen. Not much shade. Sun's out, guns out!

Fun Place to Play

1    5/4/2016   5/5/2016
Review By: asromatifoso
Pros: The bag hangers, signs, concrete tee pads, manicured grounds and overall look of the course lend a very professional atmosphere. Some money and care have obviously been, and continue to be, put into this course. I really liked that there are no walking trails bordering/running through the course and that the holes seem to be laid out in a logical manner. Had a great round here even with a mediocre score. I played from the reds and found some holes, such as 2, pretty challenging, and others, some short, wide open holes relatively easy. I found opportunities to use, or at least attempt, forehands, hyzers, anhyzers, and even a couple of grenades (tree trouble-not much out there but I managed to find it). I think it's a good challenge but after a couple more times there, I think the reds will be a bit too easy. Overall, a great experience and a course I will definitely return to in the future.
Cons: Will quickly grow too easy from the reds but that's why you have the blues to play from, right?

Course doesn't come back close to the parking lot after nine, so if you are trying to get in only nine, running out of daylight, you have a hike back.

Bag holders are awesome (wooden post) but would have preferred wooden or metal dowels (which are what your bag hangs from) to plastic. To be fair, I didn't see any broken ones but they don't seem very durable.
Other Thoughts: Soon, I think I will start playing a mixture of red and blue tees and then, eventually, move up to all blues. That being said, playing from the reds was a lot of fun, if somewhat easy. It's a really good course and I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Great Course, Fairly Easy

5+    5/2/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: skadoosh0019
Pros: - Easily the best maintained course I've ever played in, and I feel like I've played several good ones. The little bag holders at the tees, no litter, great signage, underbrush isn't a problem, etc.

- Want birdies? This course is chock full of opportunities to bang the chains under par.

- When you're not in the woods, the course is pretty wide open. And I have to admit, that's my kind of course, so I consider it a pro.

Cons: - If you want a challenge or a lot of holes that strenuously dictate your path because if you don't hit the gap right or hold a perfect line for 200 feet through the woods...then Patriot DGC is probably not for you. Tight, technical play is not the name of the game here.
Other Thoughts: I've got 3 courses that I play regularly in the Greensboro/High Point area. Patriot is my personal favorite of the bunch.

Beautiful Course

1    4/16/2016   4/21/2016
Review By: Banner
Pros: Well marked and maintained. Nice tees
Cons: Only played it once and found it fun and interesting. I guess I can see how some are saying it could get repetitive, but if you play any course a lot that could always happen. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it!
Other Thoughts: Great course in a beautiful park.

Incredible quality with unremarkable design

5+    2/25/2016   2/26/2016
Review By: SnuggieHoarder
This review was updated on 5/30/2016
Pros: This is the course that introduced me to disc golf. I'll always enjoy playing it, but some love is tough love.

Equipment:
As many have said before me. The quality of the tees, signs, holders, benches and upkeep is better than any course I've ever played. They did a good job building it and do a good job with keeping the woods under control and mulching it.

Layout:
This is a great place to learn to play. The red tees are a good mix of technical and open shots. The odds of losing a disc are decently low as well.
Cons: Layout:
The better you get the more monotonous this course becomes. A lot of the holes have you throwing from near or slightly in the woods to a pin that's near or slightly in the woods. It wouldn't be that bad, but oftentimes you can look behind the blue tees and see an alternative spot that would make the hole a lot more interesting.
Other Thoughts: Rounds generally take 1-2 hours if you're playing solo..

It's a good course in a great park. Play some disc golf, have a picnic and enjoy your weekend.

< Prev 1 2 3