Burlington, NC
Deep Creek Dreams Share
Uploaded By: Bigbob777 Hole #9 (Taken 5/2015)

Deep Creek Dreaming and Scrambling

2-4    5/21/2017   6/12/2017
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Phenomenal private course consisting of 21 holes with 2 concrete tees on almost every hole, typically a single basket position while a couple holes have multiple baskets. Good signage and navigation, practice area by clubhouse. Benches, night golf and camping. Country club feel with some good fun people.

The course design is a fantastic blend of fun and technical and maximizes the limited elevation and land playing through some long open areas and tunnels through the deep woods. Excellent variety throughout the course with par 3s and 4s and a 5 ebbing and flowing between playing more open holes and then wooded holes and left turning holes then right turning holes and straight holes. Couple holes with multi routes.

I was really impressed with how well maintained the course is and the club support behind it. All the grass was cut which is a lot of mowing, and the rough in the woods was very minimal and not likely to lose a disc except maybe in the beautiful blue Lake Benkosky which also has a basket in the middle of it and a bunch of water discs to throw at it.
Cons: Nothing to stop anyone from playing here... check yourself for ticks, some very little poison ivy in spots. A couple holes lacking some signage, the tees are a little short, only one big loop back to parking lot/club house.

Hole 21 ends on a weak note and was the only hole I didn't particularly like with the skinny double Mando. Not much elevation change.
Other Thoughts: So I played in the 1pm Sunday random dubs here and got to experience the Scramble course which is a safari palindrome 12 hole layout as follows... 1L, 2/3, 4L, 5/6, 7/8, 9L, 10/11, 12/13, 14/16, 17LLm 18/19, 20/21. This was a lot of fun and provides some interesting holes. Playing hole 2 to basket 3 across the lake was epic, and I got video(in media tab) of young local big arm Jake McCoy buzzing the basket on this 450' water carry shot! Random story on back to back days I got randomly partnered with the birthday boy - what are the odds?

After the random dubs Scramble round I played a normal solo round of all 21 holes and really enjoyed the progression of holes. I didn't think I would enjoy the course as much as I did because it doesn't have the dramatic elevation change that I typically thirst for, although this made the course play fairly quick and less taxing on the body which was a bit refreshing and relaxing and could play several rounds a day here.

Hole 1 is awesome from either tee playing a long downhill par 4 from the short tee or a par 5 starting in the woods then playing to the open with the basket down a pinched fairway and 15' in front of the lake. After being disappointed with hole 21, I went back to hole 1 and threw my whole bag :-)

Deep Creek Dreams reminds me a lot of the Blockhouse in VA(formerly aka The Grange) and Stafford Woods in NJ, but I like DCD a little more and is one of the best courses in NC. I highly recommend Deep Creek Dreams to any player from rec to pro, it is dreamy! If I lived within an hour or so I'd buy a membership in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I live 5hrs away, but I will be back again!

Best course between Charlotte and Zebulon

2-4    3/12/2017   3/12/2017
Review By: rar6nm
Pros: This course is placed on a beautiful piece of land and is the only championship caliber course that I've played between Charlotte and Zebulon. Every hole is something different and challenging. There's water, elevation change, straight shots, curving shots, long shots, short shots. This course really has it all. Dreams (shorts) is a great place to work on technique because it'll show and pick apart any weaknesses in your game. If you struggle with long shots, hole 1 is going to get you. If you're nervous with water, hole 2 is going to get you. Once you think you've gotten everything worked out, there's the Nightmare course (longs). I haven't played the full 18 holes, but the longs that I have played are very difficult, on par with Renny Gold. Incredibly tight lines, placement shots through woods. Placement shots that require arm strength. If Dreams is the lesson, then Nightmares is the test. The main thing that sets this course apart is the guys running it are constantly looking to make it better. Your input matters to them, and they continue to improve this course to make it the best in NC, and they're not far off.
Cons: Some of the baskets are outdated. There are some Mach III's out there, but they're not on holes that really make too much of a difference. Like I said with the owners, they're constantly making it better so once funds become available, I'm sure they'll be gone.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course. The guys running it are great. A must play if you consider yourself a serious disc golfer

NC Disc Golf Landmark

5+    6/26/2016   6/28/2016
Review By: avillion23
This review was updated on 7/1/2016
Pros: Private Course within short drive of Interstate 40,
Ross Davis, the owner, is dedicated to providing the best disc golf experience for those that come to play the course.
Deep Creek has a great mix of holes that test every aspect of your game. Both distance and accuracy are key to contend on a high level. Elevation, water, tunnel shots, technical shots, and luck all come in to play at Deep Creek.
Gorgeous fairways are maintained throughout the wooded holes and the overall aesthetics of the course are hard to beat.
This is a private course and requires a membership or being the guest of a member, to play Monday-Saturday. Sundays is open to the public for random doubles, which starts at 1pm.

Cons: Long course, bring water and bug spray
Other Thoughts: Finally, the group of members at Deep Creek Dreams share the same vision as Ross Davis, making the course the best it can be; a lot of work goes into maintaining an 18+ hole championship golf course and there is a lot of pride associated with the beauty of the property.

This is one of the best courses in the state and a must play.

A Dream Come True

5+    6/25/2016   6/25/2016
Review By: Sharkbite
This review was updated on 6/27/2016
Pros: Deep Creek Dreams is a perfect example of all the things that make a course great. It's a private course so you will need permission from Ross before you head out unless its Sunday doubles. Sunday doubles is open to everyone and starts at 1:00.

There is a great combination of long open holes (1 and 9) water shots ( 2, 3, 16 and 1 depending on placement) tight woods shots, big hyzers, mandos, and last but not least a swinger on 18. The course starts with a big bomber from the club house down to the pond. The next few holes play around the pond before you head in the woods. Holes 5 - 8 go through the woods before you pop back out for another long open hole on 9. 10 plays back across the field and back into the woods where you play until the final pond hole on 16. Holes 17 and 18 play back up to the club house and the course finishes up with some shorter holes with tight fairways and a really tight mando.

The course is easy to follow and has a great flow. The local members do a great job with upkeep, the fairways are cut and the woods are trimmed. There are a few trash can on the course but I always try to take all my trash with me once it's a private course and Ross has enough to do.

For an added thrill there is a basket in the middle of the pond and a stack of floating disc to try your luck. Lastly I'd like to say Ross and the rest of the members there are a true class act. It's always a pleasure to play when visiting from St Louis.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: I know there are tee signs make up and I'm sure they are working on getting them up very soon.

Please be sure to drop some cash in the drop box. Places like this don't run on city funding.

1    9/12/2015   9/19/2015
Review By: reposado
Pros: The kind of solid course that gives you a bit of everything while being short on flaws and only missing that extra umph to make it one of the elites. A private course that is clearly designed for the advanced player, Deep Creek Dreams offers wooded fairways with great, clean lines and perfect width. It features looooong open holes with great chances to watch discs fly free. There is water at a few points and there are some solid changes in elevation. Two concrete tees on every hole. Signs are helpful and tees are easily identifiable from the previous basket with few exceptions. Clearly defined trails lead from basket to tee and fairways are well kept.
The course starts with a 700-foot, downhill bomb to the edge of the pond. There is a basket in the middle of the pond but don't worry, that's not part of the course. (Although I imagine it is fun to chuck floaters at it after league day and then row out to pick them up.) The second hole does carry the pond with either a 200-some-odd shot across the lake from the short tee or for a real challenge, the far tee is backed up about 100 feet into the woods before you even get to the carry. From there, the variety and challenge does not let up for another twenty holes through the fields and forest of this property. You'll circle back towards the pond around 16 for another chance to hang one over the water then play a few uphill to return to the start. 18 finishes near the first tee so you can stop there or play another four holes on the backside of the barn.
Cons: The only navigational issue for the first 18 is immediately following 4 as the route to 5 can be confused with the crossing path from 13 to 14. Other than that, it does get a little confusing in the last few holes as multiple routes present themselves following baskets. Other than that the course's only flaw is the lack of a signature moment.
Other Thoughts: A course that could easily be a regular course for an experienced player but also one that is worth visiting from afar. Not an ultimate destination but very worthy.

Into the Deep

1    8/1/2015   8/6/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 8/9/2015
Pros: Deep Dreams Creek is a tail kicking, plastic taco making, bogey serving son of a buck. I can tell the keepers of the course here are constantly working to make it better and better. Since the first review was posted, tee signs have been added on the red tees, and dual concrete tees were on every one of the 21 holes I played. There are a few extra holes above and beyond the standard 18, and not many are gimmies. I spoke to both contacts Tom and Ross on the phone the day before my Saturday visit, and they were both very cool and did not hesitate to invite me to play the course. I am glad I did, although I did not fare to well. There are many of the things good disc golf courses regularly feature. Challenging lines through wooded fairways, water in play on a few holes, interesting and varied shots form the tee requiring strategy and precision, and a quite, secluded area in nature to relax and unwind. Well worth the $5 to play all day. From the 821' first hole, you can see this course is no joke. I did manage a couple of birdies on hole 2 and hole 4, no coincidence that these are more open than most other holes on the course. 2 is directly over the pond 348', and 4 is 351' along side the house to a very cool Prodigy basket (first one of those I have seen). Aside from that I was just grateful to make pars. The double mando near the end was totally unique. I did not have the precision and accuracy required to navigate these often tight and twisty routes between trees on that particular morning, but I did enjoy trying. I would like to return for one of the regular tourneys on Sundays.
Cons: I am used to larger tee pads, and signs were only on the red tees at the moment. Baskets were not all top end, some are portables, they work but not all perfect. I played the blues (tees, not on a harmonica), and often had to walk up to see distance or pin positions. It is private, so you need a local guide present, and have to chip in a few bucks. Layout is not always obvious, and I missed one or two holes, only 21 were on my scorecard at the end of the round. A map could have helped the first time around.
Other Thoughts: I have the feeling the Deep Dreams Creek course will only continue to improve. The guys I talked to there were all really nice, and me and my dog had a great time visiting. There is a fishing hole with a basket in the middle if you want to chuck a few floaters out there for fun, or throw out a line and see if they're biting.

Best I've played

5+    7/26/2015   7/27/2015
Review By: Jawa
Pros: Well Maintained
Water in play on 4 Holes
Concrete Tees perfect size for the shots your throwing. On both Red and Blue Tees. Crushed gravel in front of tees.
Tees are painted
Tees are level
Defined fairways
Creeks running through multiple Holes
A Swinging Basket
A Double mando Hole
Goes from tight wooded short holes to open field long holes.
Tees signs
A well rounded game is a must to shoot really well here
Dock on pond, great for swimming
Outdoor Shower
Cons: Needs benches on every tee
Some baskets are in need of replacement
Add second Tee signs on Blue Tees
Other Thoughts: This is what I would like to see more courses that want to be championship caliber be like. Deep Creek will become the Disc Golf destination in NC. With the current crew and owner I have no doubt this will become a true 5 star course. After listening to them they already are planning on eliminating current cons. Deep Creek is definitely the best course I have played.

Very nice course

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2015
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: It has been a year or two since I've played here, I had the pleasure of accompanying my good friends Gary Goomis and Dallas LaFon for a couple of rounds. The hosts/owner were a swell group of hospitable golfers, typical laid-back folks that are fortunately very representative of disc golfers.

Since it's been awhile since I've played I'll skimp on specifics and give some broad strokes. The variety is really good being mixed with open and wooded, long holes and short holes. Water in play and cleverly used. The wooded holes are well laid out with appropriate distances and fairway widths IMO. They generally require some tight gap hitting here and there but nothing that isn't possible with some repeat play probably. The open holes utilize some nice rolling elevation and have some thought provoking shape to them instead of just being wide open.

The property is quite nice and pastoral and provides a pleasant aesthetic to the round.
Cons: What cons I'd list here sound like they're being rectified (tee signs and tees). Nothing really to say since it's a private course there are the usual navigational ?s you'd expect but without a guide you'd probably figure out most of the holes eventually. The rough can be fairly rough in the way of undergrowth and poison ivy if I remember correctly.
Other Thoughts: I'm actually surprised this course made its way on DGCR. It's a gem of a course and I figured the owners would have preferred to stay more under the radar. It's awesome that it's getting exposure and I really need to play another round there sometime.

Disc Dreams

5+    4/28/2015   5/1/2015
Review By: Bigbob777
Pros: Top notch course with multiple tees.If you play this course on a regular basis you'll need to improve on your game. Nice tight fairways, long holes, a good mix with open and wooded. It has beautiful picturesque rolling terrain. Well done course with creative layouts on each hole. I'm grateful to have a course like this within a short driving distance.
Cons: The course is in an upgrade mode but, very playable. Just a few tee's are in process of having cement poured. Tee signs are being designed now.
Other Thoughts: Deep Creek Dreams is up and coming on strong as one of the top premiere courses in North Carolina. Hole number two was my favorite hole and I would consider it the signature hole. Many more holes stand out as Deep Creek Dream throws everything at you including the kitchen sink. You really have to think strategically about where to land and what line to throw to setup your next shot. You must be able to crank a driver or mid drive straight and long on many holes to have even a look for the next shot. If you can't throw with opposite spin you may have trouble finding a fairway line on some holes. But this is one of the perks at DCD as this course will develop and add some new throwing skills to your game.
I love the log cabin club house which is the rally place of every event and rendezvous point of everyone kicking off a round. The members are very sociable as well as helpful, should you need assistance with the course.

I Have A Dream

5+    4/28/2015   5/1/2015
Review By: Rob Nicks
Pros: Private course
Over water shot
Pond in play on 4 holes
Multiple tees
Casual creeks
Fair fairways
Bomb drives
Finesse drives
Cons: Currently 5/1/15:
No tee signs
No accurate score cards
Many baskets are Innova portables with added chains
Not all tees concrete
Other Thoughts: Well, this is my first installment for DG Course Review (an excellent resource for us golfers by the way), and I'm happy to be reviewing Deep Creek Dreams. I had the privilege to play the long tees a couple days ago, while Bob took the fine pictures that you see here. Bob & I also met with Ross that day (the property owner), and talked of potential plans for tee signs, score cards, a hand drawn course map tee-shirt, and other ideas to improve DCD. Bob is a talented graphic artist, and a 30+ year veteran of the sport. He's the guy who brought disc golf to Alamance County's Cedarock Park in 1988, and as of last week, a member of this private course. I mention this because, as nice as this course and property are now... it is poised for some upcoming improvements. I predict Bob Watson and Deep Creek will be a fine marriage... but I digress.

First off, Deep Creek Dreams is a private course. That is one of its best features IMHO. I've been a dues paying member for the last 4 years, and hope to continue till they run me out! Membership has its perks: The gate never closes - there are no park hours - there are no authorities patrolling the course except us members... and we keep the peace! - we have work/play days when course maintenance is needed... and Ross usually feeds the crew - a sense of ownership and input is felt by members and you just don't get that at the city park. Since it's a privately owned course, Ross asks that for non tournament days, players be accompanied by a member, or have express permission by himself. There is a locked box at the barn/shelter near hole 1 for nonmembers to contribute a minimum $5 donation towards the course for a day's access. Here's the deal... Deep Creek Dreams is Ross Davis's extended yard. Actually, the current hole 3a is literally in his front yard so you have to respect his property, his privacy, and his rules. Having said that, Ross is a generous and gregarious guy, who loves disc golf, people, food, beer, cook outs, tournaments, and has a premier disc golf course on site! His dog is cool too...

So, the course...
DCD sprawls around about 40 acres of slightly hilly, 60/40 wooded to open terrain, with an awesome 5acre pond which comes into play on 4 holes. Shots range from 700'+ bombers to a 185' double mando "equalizer" hole, and about everything in between. There are 21 regular holes plus 2 extras (currently 10a & b), used when needed. There are alternate tees for all but 5 holes, and believe me, the blue tees will add strokes to your round. In many cases, the blue/long tees take completely different fairways. This course gives you 95% fair fairways. If you can nail a 40' gap at 300 feet, you will score well, but I will say all fairways allow a lane to the basket, rather than a throw-and-pray scenario. Good drives are rewarded, bad ones are penalized. This course is still changing... just this week a new blue tee was added to current hole 9, and a couple weeks before concrete was poured on hole 5 blue. Did I mention the pond? The water is tinted blue and you get to throw over the short end of the pond on hole 2...a pristine, aesthetically beautiful, over water shot. When the pond freezes in the winter, you can skip off the ice! I personally love to throw discs over water, so hole 2 is my favorite. 2 blue is a bit longer up on the hill, and windy days will put your disc in the drink. But, no worry... if your name/# is on your plastic, you will get it back... never fails! You've got hysers, anhysers, straight, and angled shots. Baskets that are protected by trees, and others in the open. Number 17 hangs by a 70' cable! Longs, medium, & shorts... crush drives, to finesse shorts.
Deep Creek Dreams is an awesome disc golf course which is only getting better. At some point, all the baskets will be replaced with permanent Innova DisCatchers or similar... all the tee pads will be concrete... detailed tee signs, and updated score cards will be added, among other improvements like a floating dock (just finished), along with outdoor showers for swimmers and campers.

I am grateful to be a part of DCD and so thankful that an avid disc golfer (Ross), bought the property and is making it a premiere disc golf course. He added 200+ trees and plants this year alone. Add this one to your wish list if you haven't played it...

See you on the links...