Cedar, MN
VisionQuest Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 6/2015)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Count Me In

1    7/13/2015   7/18/2015
Review By: Itsjustcuz
This review was updated on 5/6/2018
Pros: Excellent new course. Designed well enough so as not to horribly intimidate an intermediary player who otherwise might shy away from a course like this, but still challenging enough for the more advanced players to come and fulfill there frisbee golf needs.

WOW

1    6/10/2015   7/14/2015
Review By: E_Rock25
This review was updated on 7/15/2015
Pros: Vision Quest is an exceptionally fun and fairly challenging course that I see only improving as it matures. The course is manicured beautifully and the use of property is well executed. The course is geared to the multiple rounds per week intermediate to advanced level player. This course is NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY, and it wasn't designed to be so. The private, member's only disc golf course is something new to the area and I think it is much needed. Overall it has a very polished and professional feel with great signage and landscaping. I am defiantly considering a membership, I just don't know if I would have time to play it enough. The cost seems very reasonable if you can play 15 or more times a year.

Pros:
- This course has some really unique "signature holes" that set it apart from many of the course I have played. Hole 9's green is one of the best, most well designed greens I have ever played (I really enjoy difficult and unique greens). The teepad for hole 5 is truly one of a kind. The peninsula greens are fairly challenging to hit and the Ant Hill (hole #14) is defiantly a sight to see.

- This course has almost everything you could ever want in different types of throws. To me it seemed to favor a RHFH or LHBH player but it does have some holes that run right to left. The mix of open and wooded shots on this course is fantastic.

- The tee signs are great and the layout of the course is very easy to follow.

- Water is very well used, there is just enough but not too much. The peninsula greens are challenging and awesome as mentioned above.

- Artificial OB lines are well thought out and used sparingly. I really dislike courses that are made harder by OB ropes alone and Vision Quest does not have this problem.

- The risk reward and different line options this course provides are very well designed. Most holes have a safe rout when OB or water is in play but your score will be punished for laying up as it should be. Many holes have multiple lines of attack that will befit many different playing styles.

- The hole distance balance in this course is awesome and it does not rely on extremely long holes to make it difficult.

- It seems like the course will be open to the public on some designated days and for some of the areas traveling leagues. This is a great idea so people can try before they buy a membership.
Cons: Cons: Before you read the cons please understand that this course is being updated all the time and I am sure most of the things that I list will, or are being addressed. I am also going to be nitpicky because a course of this caliber deserves constructive criticism so it can grow to its full potential. I have only played the course once so bare that in mind as well.

- There is not much elevation to work with at this location. That being said the designers did do a good job with what they had. I do wish they would have made one downhill shot and one uphill shot instead of using most of the ground that was moved to make one hole (The Ant Hill hole #14). They did tons of work and I really appreciate the effort but the area lacks elevation and there is really nothing anyone can do to make elevation changes of 20' or more. I really like big elevation changes so this is a con for me and one of the reasons this course is not a 5 discer IMO.

- I am not sold on the artificial turf. I had no problems when I was there and they were great to play on. My concern would be when they get wet how well they would grip. I did hear someone complaining to his group that he thought they were too grippy when dry but I had no problem. I would also be concerned about how this surface will hold up over time. If the pads are well maintained and I assume they will be this will not be an issue. I do really like the fact the these pads can be moved very easily to tweak the way a hole plays.

- Hole 16 when I played it had one big glaring issue that effected my buddies round. The pine trees that protect the green have branches all the way to the ground that are very thick. There is also a thick bed of pine needles under and around all the trees. This is a blind shot into the middle of what reminds me of a Christmas tree farm. The problem is you can potentially lose your disc under a pine tree and be within easy birdie range. My buddy had this happen and during a league round he got 3 minuet ruled and had to re-tee we never found his disc but I know it was no more than 30' from the pin. All that needs to be done IMO to fix this problem is cut the bottom 2' of branches off the pine trees and for all I know this has already been done.

- Last con and I really hope they add this... Multiple pin and pad locations. This course is awesome but I think just like all courses it would get old after a year or so of playing once or twice a week. By having two pads and two pins at every hole I think potential members would get a much better bang for their buck and would potentially have 4 completely different layouts to play.
Other Thoughts: Vision Quest is a disc golfer's paradise on the rise. The area is jam packed with 4 disc rated courses and with Blue Ribbon Pines right down the road East Bethel is now IMO a disc golf destination for any serious player. There are tons of other activates within 30 minutes such as a wave pool, parks, picnic areas, lakes, rivers and lots of camping so bringing the whole family is defiantly not out of the question. I just read the other reviews and see they added a Zip Line to I assume hole #15 which sounds awesome. I am going to try to post some hole tips as well so if you want a hole by hole break down keep an eye on the course page. I can't wait to make it back to play the course again and I hope my review did it justice. AWESOME COURSE!!!

The most fun you'll have on a disc golf course

1    7/10/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: Uroblvios
Pros: Even though this course is brand new, I give it a FIVE!!!!!

This year so far I have played 79 3.5-5 rated courses across the Midwest. In years past, all over the country. Vision Quest is more memorable than any other! From pulling into the driveway, until the end, this was the most fun I have ever had on a disc golf course! My username doesn't reflect it, but I've been playing disc golf for 10 yrs and everywhere I travel, I play the best rated courses within 2-3 hrs of my destination.(disc golf fanatic)

Landscaping- Imeccable greens, woodchips galore, ponds, an "ant hill"(large elevated hill resembling a "GIANT" sized ant hill), elevation used where available, elevated teepads and baskets, island-like chip circles surrounding most all of the baskets, a teepee, outcroppings, defined OB and rough, beautiful benches, peninsula holes. Creative pin placements use the land brilliantly.

Pins- Arroyo. I've played on these before(local to MN?). They catch well and are painted a beautiful red color.

Teepads- Grippy, sturdy, clean, artificial turf. Just the right length with a foot fault line painted on. Elevated teepads over water! I like how the teepad locations can be moved. I assume it's just I in case minor adjustments have to be made with the layout of the holes.

Fairways- beautifully done with the help of the gentleman/ladies over at Blue Ribbon Pines. That's what I loved about this area. The love for disc golf is more important than, "my course is better than yours and maintained only by me," type of attitudes. The folks at BRP work on the grass and greens while the folks over at VQ work on the woodchips, benches, and other woodwork. Holes shoot through the woods, over water many times, and onto beautifully maintained basket areas(woodchips islands as I call them), both elevated and depressed(lowered)basket locations.
Great variety throughout the course. I used every shot in my bag. Long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, tight and narrow fairways, open fairways, and of course the water adding that risk factor.
Cons: Nothing that can't be fixed.

Bees nests under the teepads. I believe it was hole number 8. My cousin was stung. But that's an easy fix.

In my opinion, all of the holes on the course are par 3. Maybe a couple long tees or long basket locations with 2 baskets per hole?

I'm not sure if the elevated teepads were supposed to have some give to them, but it wasn't too bad.

No other cons in my opinion except for the fact that the designers of this course don't have access to unlimited land and resources. Or do they? :)
Other Thoughts: Make this course a destination!!

Did I forget to mention you can ZIP LINE from one side of the fairway to the other on a hole? And the hole goes over water!!? You shoot to a peninsula! And then glide over to it just like your disc! Wow!!!! Fun!

They have boats, kayaks, and rakes to help retrieve your disc/s from the water.

When you pull into the driveway, not only do you see disc golf heaven on earth beautifully maintained...You see a massive tent area for shelter with ice chests and bags games and league/record/ace information. There is also a wooden disc rack for lost discs(I returned about 5 I found). I lost a blizzard boss though. A favorite of mine on hole #1 going for the long hyzer bomb.

All of the water holes allow you to play it safe or go for the "bomb".

Big thanks to Mike, Shawn, and Ray!!

Color Me Impressed

1    6/19/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: timg
This review was updated on 4/10/2017
Pros: Where to begin? The amazing maintenance/landscaping? The massive mulched greens? The grippy artificial turf tee pads? This is a private, and still evolving course where "no expense spared" seems to be the guiding principle. Excellent tee signs on each hole left little question as to the hole's layout and where the basket was placed. Nothing generic about them. The tee pads were excellent, the right length, the foot fault line painted on so you don't step off the pad during a drive (especially useful for #18's "floating" pad) and the baskets were great (my first time playing on the Arroyo's).

Some of the pads were very unique, particularly #5 which was elevated off a slope over the pond and #18 which was actually on the water itself, requiring you to walk down a small dock to get to it. As you may have guessed from the photos and that description, water is a fairly prominent feature on quite a few holes. I happen to love water carries so for me this was a big plus and none of the shots required massive drives to clear the water but placement was key on some of them. Rakes were also available if you ended up on the edge of a pond rather than the middle as well.

The standout hole for me had to be #14 where you're throwing from an elevated tee box to an elevated pin on this massive man-made hill. Really fun and an impressive sight.
Cons: The cons are few and far between. The #5 pad, while quite sturdy did have a little play which can be slightly disconcerting since you're hovering 20ft. above a pond. That said, some courses have signature holes, well this course has signature pads as well and #5 looked awesome and is probably the "signature pad" of this course.

Also, the only other hiccup is there isn't much elevation on the course so a lot of it plays flat or with very gentle slopes. #14 as does #17 addresses this with elevated pads and creative basket placement. Although, the rest of the course more than makes up for this. I didn't even think about it until just now while writing this review. While I was there I was too busy admiring the laundry list of things this course does right and having fun.
Other Thoughts: Of all the things VisionQuest does right, the big one is that it is *fun*. Some courses are just hard with crazy tight, long fairways and some are easy but fun. VisionQuest has a high fun factor while also remaining exciting and challenging. I had a blast playing it with its mix of semi-wooded and open holes. A very park-like atmosphere/feel and quite scenic to boot with ridiculous landscaping. The kind of course I love to play. You won't see greens like this anywhere else (except maybe Blue Ribbon Pines!) and the risk/reward shots are all over the place due to water, pin placement or both (I'm looking at you #9).

From what I understand, this will be a "members only" course at some point so it will probably maintain the serene feel it has now rather than having to wait for a group at every tee. It's also just down the street from Blue Ribbon Pines, another amazing course. The course is constantly being improved and tweaked with the owner really striving to make this an even more amazing place than it already is. I hope to make it back at some point in the future so I have a chance to check things out when they're 100% complete.

Needless to say, I enjoyed my time here immensely and would highly recommend playing here if you get a chance. East Bethel was already a bucket list destination and with the addition of VisionQuest, you should probably move it up on your list.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >