Mahwah, NJ
Campgaw Reservation - Green Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #9 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Not Yet Keen On Campgaw Green

1    12/2/2018   12/5/2018
Review By: Ryal
Pros: + Tee signs have a color and shape of their own, distinct from the two other layouts that share many of the same fairways, so the player always knows which sign to refer to.
+ Next tee signs, while not plentiful, are a welcomed sight and point the way.
+ The whole course has that eerie and energizing 'lost forest' feel by limiting what you can see around you. The player will likely forget that there is a ski hill nearby!
+ There are very many rocky hills to add to the challenge: some steep and some steady.
+ Trees everywhere force the player to focus on aim and accuracy rather than brute force.
Cons: - Most of the tee areas were muddy messes during my session.
- A few of the tee signs were flat-out missing. Holes 14 and 18 come to mind as examples of this.
- Trees everywhere cause most of the holes to feel samey and repetitive.
- Some of the next tee signs were broken or altogether missing in places where they could really be helpful. I did not see one between holes 9-10 or 16-17, and I found the sign between 2-3 shattered and discarded on the ground. I got lost twice here as a result of the lack of signage.
- Deadfall trees are very prevalent. A few holes felt as though I was playing in the rough from start to finish.
- Very many exposed roots, hidden tree stumps and slippery leaves on rocks. Walk with caution.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole at this course was definitely 8. I liked 17, too, but I liked 8 more because of how deceptively simple it is. The short distance of the hole tricks you into thinking that it won't be so hard, but the sheer height of the cliff throws that notion on its ear. 8 is a fun challenge to overcome.
My least favorite hole here could be the very first one. It felt plain and underwhelming to me.

As for the course as a whole, Campgaw Green is a course that, to my mind, has yet to reach its stride. This isn't to say that the course is bad. The venue is pretty with a dynamic landscape of rocky hills and trees. I played in early December. I can just imagine what it looks like in spring and summer.
The course is a good challenge, but the endless forest does feel repetitive after a while. Hills and oaks continue as far as the eye can see. While it is, indeed, pretty, it becomes commonplace before long. However, I would rather see the trees stay where they are instead of having them mindlessly chopped down just to carve out a perfect fairway.

Yes, this is definitely wooded disc golf with a few hybrid holes thrown into the mix among holes 11 and 14. I would sooner recommend this course to the accurate tacticians out there before the power arms for obvious reasons. Granted, though, all can have a good time here because it is disc golf, after all. And I do want to say that I did have fun with what is available, but there is still so much more to do.

Tee pads would be a great start. I think it would be a good thing to have something solid for the players to tee off on instead of mud in the days following a rain.
Another good addition would be sturdier signage. The 'current tee' signs will probably be fine as they are for a while longer, but the 'next tee' signs should get an upgrade.

In closing: Campgaw Green is a decent course that takes the player through many variations of the wooded disc golf experience. There are hills to conquer and hundreds of trees to avoid. There are even some stand-out holes for sure, but the monotony of everything else coupled with the soggy tee areas and absent signage may dampen the fun for some.
Go throw at Campgaw if you like an uphill battle.

5+    7/11/2018   7/11/2018
Review By: MikeSKY
This review was updated on 7/25/2018
Pros: Nice layout that gives you great exercise as it is up the side of a ski slope and down the other end. Heavily wooded which adds difficulty. I only played the Par 3s (green), so not to long distances. Watch your disc carefully on hole 17... Take a peek out of the woods by hole 13 its a gorgeous view from atop the ski slope, wow!
Cons: Only the first few holes have Tee pads, the rest are natural. First time you go might be a little difficult to find the next tees, but its not too bad. During the spring time it can be muddy and extra buggy.
Other Thoughts: Put on Insect repellent,and get out there, Its fun.

Fun and Challenging

1    9/16/2017   9/16/2017
Review By: schenckc13
Pros: Fun and challenging shots with lots of variety. Nearly aced hole #2 with a skip in and out of the chains which may have made me a little biased but then got brought back down to earth on the rest of the course with the narrow woods and tight corridors! The elevation change is great and the signage is adequate, never had to figure out what was next, there was always a sign or path. You park a little far away from the first hole, but you finish right at the lot which is always nice.
Cons: As noted the tee pads could use some updating, ie: add a pad and I would add another half star, make it concrete with elevation change on the signage, plus updates to the blue and blacks and this would be close to a 5-star course. Some of the tee pad and basket placements were a little close for comfort for overlap, but not overly so. Another thing that got me was every basket was labeled 1, which was confusing on the first two holes but would help further through the course as hole 15 and 16 are a little confusing. It looks as if you're shooting to 16's basket from 15's tee, which granted is much further than the allotted distance, but mind the visual deception. I'd like to see a little more clearing of fairways as there a couple of shots that really are just prayers and luck. All and all not too much bad going on.
Other Thoughts: I disagree with the previous statement, you could manage this course twice through in about 3 - 4 hours if you bring your A game and water, the hike wasn't too bad and the height of the hill is pretty small, remember there aren't mountains in Jersey! A course map provided at the start would be great, basket numbering, and updated blue and black signage would be a nice way to improve.

An easy quick course.

1    3/23/2016   3/23/2016
Review By: gregneely0
Pros: The signage is pretty good, being a first timer without anybody to guide me to the next tee I could find the next tee fairly easily.
The "fairways" have nice lines, not very curvy.
holes 1-4 have nice concrete tees.
Nice big parking lot.
Cool elevation changes
Cons: I played in early spring late winter so there were just the old leaves on the ground, but... I could see them being a huge problem when summer/fall comes around.
The natural tees are very rocky or short.
Rocky Terrain

very nice property, close to a very nice course

2-4    10/28/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Great piece of land with nice old growth trees, excellent elevation changes and different degrees of slope across the land.
Nice baskets, good tee signage, great views from the top of the hill (not gonna call it a mountain out of respect for real mountains).
The layout/design was pretty cool, good variety, and with the other layouts (Blue & Black matching ski difficulties) it's an overall bonus on the property. But since this is the Green course, I'll stick to that.
Loved some of the holes, made you shape shots, and seemed to play even for BH & FH players, would need more times around than 2 to really get a better feel.
Flow through the property allowed you to experience what all parts of the hill surrounding the ski slopes look like, and the hilly sides and less steep top and bottom holes provided good variety.
Great next tee signs, painted with arrows for Green, Blue or Black, withe the hole #s appropriate for each layout.
Loved a few holes, #4 and #17 just had great lines. Holes 12 & 14 also seemd to play well off each other for the FH/BH and make players throw all the shots. There are more, I'm just pointing out those that stood out to me.

Hole 3s tee pad was the only concrete pad I saw, it was nearly perfect, level, solid and big enough (or very close for those with bigger run ups). More of these please?
I understand this course plays around the ski hill to allow for year round play, outstanding use of space and property for a mulit-use facility.
Cons: The designer might have found a way to navigate more ups and downs on the 'left' side over by holes 1-10, there is some very steep slopes that could've made an awesome downhill drive (even if its a putter shot), and walked around the steep, to allow for more elevation changes. Maybe that's on the Black course more and I am asking something that is already done elsewhere...
As noted above, the next tee signs are great, but only on about half the holes. As I played in a time of year with lots of fresh leaves down, it was hard to find some of the paths to the next holes... Really got turned about from 9-10, there were two walking paths up top and I choose poorly...

Some of the baskets have suffer frost heave and the posts are no longer level, not an easy thing to dig deep enough on this type of ground, but the effort would really make the chains rest down instead of lean on the side of the posts...

OK, so my biggest issue is the tee pads. I know, hard rocky ground is tough to level out, and geting materials into some of these locations is not easy either, and its a LOT of work on each pad; but they were rutted and had hard pack soil with small stones that slid under my feet a lot. This caused many errant tee shots, and with some work this negative could become a positive.

I know most of my cons are "fixable" and I'm nitpicking to some, but these are factors that contribute to a very good course, and Campgaw is close...
Other Thoughts: With some tee pad work, more driectional signs, and leveling some baskets this place could be an easy 4, but they were a detractor for me.

These are not easy fixes, and will take time and hard work - but that's what a very good/great course takes.

All that said, I would make the 2 hour drive to this course for sure, and I would come out to play in a tournament here as well. The pros out weight the cons for me and I really enjoyed the setting.
Both the casual player and tournament player can be rewarded with a fun time, and a risk/reward score. Nice course, close to being a very good course.

Campgaw Reservation Suggested

1    8/19/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Campgaw Reservation Green layout is short on the majority of its 18 holes, and this is kind of a plus with the mountainous nature of the land. When you arrive in the parking lot, walk the path past the practice basket, the rental stand, the ski patrol, and past the screened patio to the 1st tee. The first and second holes are in trees at the foot of the hill, but on flatter ground. One is short and turns to the right, and two is longer and to the left. Three is back in the direction of hill, over 300 feet, and straightforward. Four is slightly uphill, and makes you choose a gap in the trees to make the green, but still very reachable around 225'. 5 and 6 pick their way through the trees, gradually up the hill, in short measures. 7 is a bit longer in the 300' range, and requiring a narrow line to the pin. I won't give the exact language when I first saw hole 8, but there was a four-letter word and an exclamation point. 209 on the scorecard, but closer to vertical than horizontal. Ok, thats an exaggeration, but it was steep. 9 and 10 are a bit longer, but returning to less extreme footing, both dogleg left. 11 is a fun attempt to run one close for a birdie, and 12 comes into the open, grassy space climbing noticeably. 13-16 finish the run at along the top of the hill, before making the turn and coming down the mountain. 13 and 16 are shorter, 14 and 15 in the 300' range. Mixed lefts and rights through more trees and around the occasional boulder. Everything prior to hole 17 is disc golfing, but just putting in the legwork to get here. 17 tee box is in a bright patch of sun, high above the basket in the forrest below. 400'+ but reachable if you can negotiate a lot of mature trees, once you reach the point of entry about 100' out of the box. I bogeyed, but on an extra throw I was able to put one 30' past the pin. 18 finishes out nicely through more heavy trees and rocks, not far from the parking lot.

Navigation from hole to hole is not hard to follow, and there are some rudimentary signs that effectively guide you along. All baskets are good.
Cons: Tee boxes were kind of an issue on a few of the limited times you want to reach back for a little extra power. Improving these would probably make the rating a 4 to me. The 4600' green layout may be a little weak for the big arm, pro level guys. I am curious about the black diamond layout. I saw it on a paper map, and where the signs were pointing as I walked the greens. It looked rough, and much more difficult, with heavy growth and hard to distinguish lines.
Other Thoughts: Campgaw Reservation Green was fun, and had two or three great holes. Cool course, but not at full potential. Natural tees subject to erosion and poor footing was a factor on a hole like 8. Installing better tees would be hard work, and may have maintenance issues, but would be nice. Glad to get the chance to play, and worth a look, but don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. I scored a 56 (2 over par) on a birdie and 3 bogeys. I missed too many putts, as usual. Lots of room for improvement, under par by several shots isn't unrealistic.

I love progress!!!

5+    12/21/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: DEG III
Pros: Signage exists now and is a huge improvement!!
I still strongly suggest a map if you've never played. Really fun course, great exercise!!
Cons: Need tee pads badly especially hole 1, it's close enough to the road that concrete shouldn't be an issue there, and it is always flooded in the winter because of the snow making and weather.
Other Thoughts: If you are used to playing the black/blue course this is a definite step down in difficulty. Also, be aware that the rocky terrain can bang your disc up quite a bit, even the greens around the baskets are very rocky.

Hard but fun

1    10/20/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
This review was updated on 6/1/2014
Pros: -Really nice view on 16
-Holes are short, but challenging due to trees, elevation, and boulders
-Hole 17 is awesome..., it is so steep!
-It wasn't crowded
-A lot of parking
-nice baskets
Cons: - The tees are faded so it's hard to know where to throw from
- Lots of garbage on the course
- 15 was hard to navigate
Other Thoughts: This was good...

A wonderful course, I can't wait to play all 3

1    10/23/2013   10/23/2013
Review By: Marcis
This review was updated on 10/30/2013
Pros: I loved this course, I am from Pennsylvania, Sellersville location. The green course was like a combination of South Mountain, and Blue Mountain.

Thanks Eric for showing me around, had a great time!
Cons: only one (see below). I played with a local so every hole was easy to find. I think that if I played by myself I would have had no trouble finding each hole. for the most part tees can be seen easily from the end of the hole, and if you can't see the tee, a clear path is available. If I was playing the big monster course this may have been a bit more challenging, but the green course was well marked.

The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is because the Tees were natural, I would love to see rubber, or concrete here. That is really my only complaint, I love this course otherwise, can't wait to come back. FOR ME natural tee's are not a problem, I currently don't have a run up so I have the luxury of standing still, this only cost me 20-50 feet compared to people I play with who do the run up.
Other Thoughts: I loved it, reminded me of 2 of my favorite home courses mixed into one. I highly recommend playing this course!

I almost aced hole 17. I am not a pro, or anything close to that. I threw a comet Mid-range disc straight down the fairway 10-15 feet past the basket on the left. My furthest drive ever. I just got the comet disc, and it was my 3rd time ever throwing the disc!

Nice course

1    7/24/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Beautiful under the mature trees.

Elevation changes are not too extreme, except for 8, which is short enough that it's kind of fun.
Cons: Hole layouts are confusing. I missed one around 15-16-17 and had to go back to figure it out.

Too many fallen trees around 18 but I imagine that will be cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely come back here when I'm in the area.

< Prev 1 2 3