San Marcos, TX
Flying Armadillo - Gold Share
Uploaded By: Gblambert Hole #5 (Taken 5/2015)

Mini Golf with Frisbees. SO fun

2-4    1/6/2017   2/14/2017
Review By: tst3c
Pros: This is such a fun course. Initially I was worried about a 'Par 2' course being gimmicky or just hastily thrown together. After playing multiple times, this course is the opposite- it is creative and challenging while also maintaining that 'mini-golf / fun-land' style. Each holes has a theme or fun obstacle to overcome, whether it's the tee, fairway line or the basket itself!

Some highlights are a sink-hole basket (very fun to try and roll into), a lifted platform tee throwing onto an island, a lighthouse basket, and a roller ramp to a basket.

I had a ton of fun playing this course. It's right next to Flying Armadillo's main course, same parking lot. I would recommend doing a warm-up 18 (or 36!) holes on the Mini course then move onto the main course.

Austinites- it is very worth the trip, speaking from experience. About a 40min drive for me.
Cons: It's a little dirty, but solely because of geography, just like many other courses out here. The course is maintained very well and a little dirt never hurt anybody anyways- no different from other DGC's in the area.

Other Thoughts: Not a Pro/Con- need $5 cash for unlimited play all day. Just keep it in mind. I met the two guys that are designing the course. When I was there they were working on a StreamLine trailer and converting it into a Pro-Shop. It'll be great when the resort is finally complete!

Miniature Disc Golf

1    5/1/2016   8/7/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
This review was updated on 12/21/2016
Pros: (3.912 Rating) (Gold review)
- UNIQUENESS - The holes themselves in terms variety are about as unique as you'll ever see. Although the holes can all be played with a putter, it's not always the best choice of disc due to some of the obstacles.
- CHARACTER - The course provides a bunch disc golf comforting items and amenities. There is an amazing community board near hole 1 with a chalkboard for ace postings. It has score cards with a map inside. most of the tees are shaded, and some sitting is provided.
- ACEABILITY - Numerous holes, is not all, are aceable, You will have great opportunities many of the holes. Young kids could get their first ace here for sure.
- FORGIVENESS - The odds of losing a disc due to an errant shot is low. There is a manmade water feature on 17, but it was very shallow.
- MAINTENANCE - The course appears to be constantly trimmed and manicured. There was very little trash spotted despite what appears to be a good amount of use.
- QUICK PLAY - A friend of mine and I completed the warm up 18 in under 45 minutes.
- GROW THE SPORT - no doubt will this course aid in growing the sport by offering a unique and exceedingly family and beginner friendly course.
Cons: In all, just a couple ticky tack things
- TEES AREA - The biggest issue with a number courses is generally the tees. Although all 18 of them are dirt, the fact that every hole is under 150 feet, the natural tees are probably adequate.
- DIFFICULTY - Not a challenge to advanced/pro level players as it will seem mostly to be fairway putter runs. However, considering its all par 2s, breaking par will be quite an accomplishment. I personally finished 5 over and was stoked.
- LOCATION - Course is a trek to get to from San Antonio and Austin. Probably an hour or so from both downtown's and with about 15 of that after the exit from the interstate.
- Pay to Play - Cost is $5, but is definitely worth it in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: The owners did an excellent job of combining family fun and disc golf. Most seasoned players will enjoy this entertaining warm-up before the more challenging big course.
(NOTE:) I also played the Big course, but the review section is blocked. I want to assume that this is because the course was not yet finished. I feel that as work continues on the Big course, it will also likely also be an excellent course along with the "Gold Course"

One of a kind!

1    11/15/2015   3/15/2016
Review By: Av8rga
Pros: This is a very unique, challenging course. Trick throws are welcome. Think disc golf with a putt-putt course backdrop. Bounce it off car hoods, rollers off the ramp into the basket you name it. Big bomb into the metal Army tank! Fun times. You will learn to back off your throw for a 100 foot T shot. I found myself taking lots of pictures.
Cons: It's south Texas - Wear good shoes and socks. If one gets away, be ready to battle with cactus thorns and stiff timber. Also, watch the small tree stumps - trip hazard. Petty stuff this course is really cool.
Other Thoughts: Played the long course which is still in the works. Huge throws with lots of elevation change. Fairly rocky but it's all part of the scene. Had one of my longest drives off 2 a big lefty downhill. Two putted in.

A great change of pace!

2-4    1/22/2016   1/25/2016
Review By: Notrepidation
Pros: Pace of play.....you can get through a round with a 4 card in less than 30 minutes. You can get through 2 rounds with a 4 card in about an hour.
Unique.....Try to find a disc golf course with this amount of uniqueness....you won't. It's a blast!
Pride of ownership.....The folks that built and maintain thos course took a LOT of pride and had a lot of fun building this course, it shows. The day I was there they were out making improvements. They were very kind, very friendly and they even stopped working while we played through.
Well thought out/implemented design......It's pbvious that some time went into obstacles, placement of pad's and baskets, lines, etc etc.
Well maintained....Granted we were there in the winter when all the grass, weeds, tree,s are dead or bare, but still, it's apparent that the folks who run it take pride in keeping it nice and clean.
Cleanliness....Speaking of clean, this is the first course I have played where i did not see ONE SINGLE ITEM OF TRASH on the ground or have to pick up one cig butt etc. Great job!

Cons: Tight in most places....I record all my rounds, this one was a challenge as there is not a ton of real estate. Granted we had 6 people on the card but on some holes it would have been tight even with only 3. It was also a little difficult setting up my Zuca (has my video recorder on it) to get all the shots....again, I think this is simply because the holes are short and there is not much room to move around.
Parking...Parking is tight, could definately use some more room there.
Pay to play......I'm mixed about this. The charge to play is $5 and you can play all day. It is set up on an honor system if the owners are not there. I can totally understand why there is a charge, a TON of work went into this. When we went I did not get to play the long course and we only had time for 2 rounds. I would probably have no problem paying 5 bucks if I lived closer and were able to play it a lot more often (I live in San Antonio). I really did not mind paying for the experience and I would probably consider a yearly payment plan again, if I lived closer and could play more. I don't know that I would call it a "con" but it certainly bears mentioning.
Other Thoughts: As stated before, we are from San Antonio and we only had time to play the short course. That said, as long as you understand the short course is for entertainment and meant to be a unique experience and that you won't be busting out any 400 foot drives on it, then you will have a blast. We certainly did. I will be editing the footage I took that day and uploading it to my YouTube channel soon. When I do I will post it here so folks can see the course. Great job to the owners and thank you for a great day of fun!

Great Miniature Golf Course

1    12/31/2015   12/31/2015
Review By: JerryChesterson
Pros: It's not disc golf, it's miniature golf with discs.

Every hole is unique.

Every shot is needed.

Lots of cool art and stuff around the course.

Did I mention you through one shot from a club house / elevated deck area.

Did I mention there are 2 different ramps on the course to ramp your discs into the hole, also a slide and several hoods of cars.

Lots of cool bells / wind chimes

The most unique course I've ever played

Looks to be setup well for night golf.
Cons: It's not disc golf, it's miniature golf with discs.

Natural tee pads, but not really a factor since it's all short holes
Other Thoughts: After reading the other 2 reviews, I had to post mine. This is the review if the mini course, not the regular course. There should be 2 entries as there are 2 distinct courses. First, this is a great property a great course, and a GREAT TIME. I went with my friends and we just did ace runs twice at every basket. I got an ace, saw 3-4 splash outs and a friend got an ace. The obstacles on the course make this a one of a kind experience. Again, don't misunderstand the following as anything negative about the course. Its a great time and you should come play this course. I plan on playing it regularly. If you are passing through on 35, this is the course you have to stop at and play.

All that said, at the time of this writing the mini course was rated as a 4.5. This isn't a 4.5 course. In fact this isn't really a disc golf course, it's miniature golf for disc golf. Courses like Winthrop gold, and seleh are 4.5's, that factored into my rating of just a 3. If you are rating this against how good of a time you'll have or the uniqueness or a bunch of other characteristics this is a 5 out of 5. Just don't show up at the mini course and expect to play disc golf, its all trick shots, skippers for aces, throws off of ramps and hoods of cars for aces. That doesn't take away from the experience or the fun that this place is. It was so fun we played it twice and then played the big course. The big course is also really nice (again there needs to be a separate course that on here too, it deserves it's own ranking). The big course was about 3/4 done when we played and I liked it a lot too. The tee pads on the big course suck but I'm sure in time they'll add concrete for that as you are throwing some long shots.

All in all it looks like the owners take a lot of pride in the course. I liked it and will be back for sure.

Fun course

5+    10/1/2015   10/6/2015
Review By: Gblambert
Pros: Disclaimer
As the course designer, I went back and forth about whether or not to review the Flying Armadillo Gold Mini Course. I'm not sure if other designers review their own courses, but there's some information about the course I'd like to pass along and don't see a better option than including it in a review. I should also mention that this is my first and only DGCR review so far, so please take my rating with a grain of salt.

Background
The original idea for the course came from the Blockhouse Tiki Course, which is a short, par 2 putt-putt type course intended as a warm up before playing one of their full size courses. Like the Tiki, the Gold Mini course includes 18 holes, is full of fun obstacles, and includes lights for night play. I have not had the opportunity to play the Tiki, but from what I can gather there are some differences as well, including a longer total course length and more elaborate obstacles on the Gold Mini course.

In addition to providing a great way to warm up, the Gold Mini course was also intended as a fun course for kids and adults just learning the game. For that reason, the first half dozen holes were designed to allow new players to practice basic disc golf shots such as throwing around an obstacle, throwing left and right dogleg fairways, a high hyzer, a long straight shot, and throwing through a tunnel.

After that, we added a roller ramp to practice roller shots, holes to practice throwing at different heights (the sunken basket, lighthouse basket, elevated island hole, and hanging basket), plinko type holes to practice tight wooded throws (the tank hole, the persimmon hole, and the sign hole), the Alamo Hole cause it's fun to throw inside a building, the pond hole to practice throwing over a water hazard, and the ultimate gimmick hole because, well, it's just plain fun to try and ricochet a shot off a car hood for an ace.

Par
The full size course at the Flying Armadillo includes blue, white, and red level tee pads, yet the mini course is a gold level course, a designation typically reserved for very long, professional level courses. We gave the mini course a gold level designation though because it's a par 2 course with an average hole length of over 100 feet. The Close Range Par Guidelines indicate that only gold level players can consistently get up and down in two strokes at a distance of over 100 feet. At the time of this review, the best score on the course is a par, made by a top player and with 2 aces on his card. And of course, kids and new players can play the course as a par 3 if that better suits their level of play.

Pros
As far as I can tell, there are no other courses quite like this anywhere. The Blockhouse Tiki course was similar, but is currently closed to the public. The Gold Mini course provides scorecards and has tee signs on every hole with a map and a tip for playing the hole in the form of a short limerick. Many of the holes include benches and metal yard art sculptures can be found throughout the course. In fact, some of the obstacles on the course could be considered sculptures themselves.

Cons: Cons
The tee pads are all natural, which is ok for a mini course, but concrete tees would be better. We'll be adding round concrete pads as soon as the big course is complete and we have more time. The Pond Hole currently has a hole, but no pond. We plan to add a pool liner and fill it with water in the near future. Also, only about half the holes have benches, but we're slowly adding more each month.
Other Thoughts: Rating
Coming up with a fair rating for the Gold Mini course is challenging. Should It be compared to other full size disc golf courses, like Selah Ranch? To me, this would be like comparing apples to oranges, but if that's the standard I would have to give the Gold Mini course a 1.0 or 1.5 rating at best. If, on the other hand, I compare it to other par 2 mini courses, then it's rating should be much higher since it is the premier mini course in the country, at least as far as I can tell. As you might guess, I'm going with the second option and giving the Gold Mini Course a rating of 4.5. As good as the course is though, it still needs some finishing touches to deserve a better rating, and besides, I don't think any course deserves a 5.0 rating because every course can be improved upon and no course is perfect.

Summary
The Flying Armadillo Gold Mini course is very challenging, par 2 course full of unique and interesting obstacles. Every hole can be aced (in fact, every hole has been aced at least once), but none are easy aces. Whether you are a new player just learning the game or an experienced player shooting for aces, the mini course is fun, fun, fun.

fun little piece of disc golf heaven

5+    9/12/2015   9/12/2015
Review By: frogdog1988
Pros: Short, but gimmicky in the best of ways. Great use of existing open and wooded areas. Very very technical shots. The kind of course u wanna play at lease twice per visit in the summer time and more in the winter. Maintained with benches on almost every hole to relax and enjoy the natural and artificial beauty of the course. Grass mowed regularly and baskets in good condition. Good mix of left and right shots as well as straight down the gut.
Cons: Short course. If you wanna throw a world record distance this course is not for you. The big course is on the property though and it definitely makes up for what the short course lacks.
Other Thoughts: All around ausome place to bring friends and family who dont play much or to have a great time with ur regular golfing buddies.