Charleston (John's Island), SC
Trophy Lakes Share
Uploaded By: DavidSauls Hole #18 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Your Discs are the Lake's Trophy

1    7/29/2017   8/1/2017
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - It has the word Lake in its name for a reason and water is the name of the game on this course. There's only a few holes where the water isn't in play and that along with a stiff breeze creates some interesting disc golf.

There's three sets of tees (R,W,B) which offer up different challenges. The reds are family/novice friendly and usually take as much water out of play as they can. The whites and blues are much closer in difficulty and you still have plenty of danger playing from the whites. The blues up the ante by tucking tees back in to early gaps or adding considerable length. If you don't throw 400+ I'd suggest playing the whites or skipping a few of the blues.

Overall this course has a really nice balance in how it uses the trees and water. You'll need a plethora of shots to go through this course and a good command on placement to avoid getting wet or going OB. I love how they vary how the water comes in to play throughout.

The width of the lines varies right along with the length of the holes. I really enjoyed getting to each tee and having a new challenge or a new look as you go through, that's something many courses have a hard time achieving. Many holes give you options on how to play it with multiple gaps.

The multi-shot holes are simply fantastic. I found myself standing on the tee several times thinking about how I wanted to attack the hole. You really have to decide how much you want to bite off or which route you want to take.

There's a ton of risk/reward here and the greens are usually very dangerous if you're trying to go right at them. I'll say it again that you really have to game plan each hole and consider where you're trying to end up.

Equipment - Concrete tees on the blue and whites. The reds have natural which is fine for that level. Each tee has a sign which is a huge plus. Baskets are in good shape. One sunken/raised basket combo on one hole. There's a course map at the beginning and a pro shop selling discs and such.

Atmosphere - It's a really cool park that is also used for towed wakeboarding. It's not a huge lake but it has some very good looking holes and nice scenery. I played early so it wasn't busy but even with more people it just seems like a chill place.
Cons: Layout - A few of the holes could be considered filler. I think they're all fine holes but to me 2 and 18 just don't mesh well with the rest of the course. 18 especially is not the finishing hole you'd like after playing such a great course. A couple others are maybe not up to the level as most of the holes but there's only so many places you can stick a hole in the area with all the water.

The flow of the course is kinda weird at points. You do some backtracking so make sure you grab a map or take a pic of the course map outside the pro shop.

The course is almost completely flat; outside of a couple hills created to stick baskets on.

Overall the course does favor players who throw RHBH/LHFH dominantly. I think the course does a good job of giving you other options on some of the water holes but the advantage is definitely there.

Equipment - The baskets can be hard to see on some of the holes.

Atmosphere - It's a lake near the beach so yeah expect it to be buggy. There's some spots with standing water (outside the lake) and mushy ground. You are sharing this course with people who aren't playing disc golf so keep that in mind. There's also a few houses/campers situated on the course very close to holes.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed Trophy Lakes and highly recommend people checking it out if you're in town. It's definitely worth the $5 to play and if you're worried about losing discs just bring some DX plastic to throw over the water. I lost two discs on hole 6 due to some strong morning gusts and I just laughed it off and had a great time.

Trophy Lakes

1    11/20/2015   11/21/2015
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My three pros:

+ Another beuatiful course in SC! The lakes and river around the course are well maintained and make for several pretty holes
+As a pay-2-play course this one has all the expected stuff- good signage, easy navigation, nice tee-pads, good baskets even some random but nicelooking discraft banners here and there. I bought 2 discs at the proshop from a very cool, very cute employee and didnt have to pay the 6$ fee. I like buying discs and i like not paying greenfees and i like cute girls so this was a triple plus for me.
+one of the only true championship courses ive played where the blue tees looked tough and intimidating but not just added fluff so once i get better i hope to play those. I stuck to the white tess and had a great time and was challenged thourghout. The red tees looked pretty short throughout but the water in play on many holes make evenm the red tees interesting. This course has probably done the best of any ive visited with making three unique tees for each basket ranging from confident beginner to Mcpro!

Cons: My three cons:

-I play RHFH most drives so when theres a RHBH bias i notice pretty quick. that was definitley the case here as it seemed every over-water shot needed a good backhand hyzer shot so i was consistenmtly hitting sketchy anhyzer FH shots over the water. I get it that most people want RHBH favored holes but i felt like every over the water shot was a big risk as the water is almost always to the right of the hole...
-this is lost disc type water. they may have divers, and you may have drivers but youll be weary to bust em out since the big water crossings are guarded by lots of trees. it didnt happen to me, but i played conservative throughout bc if you get a good throw that tips a twig then bye bye disc in the deep wakeboarding lake. a couple times like on 15 and 18 i wanted to try the blue and throw around an island but this isnt wii dg so a brief tree tap means a lost ~15$ disc...
-the wakeboarding in the lake is a bit of a distraction. there was one couple wakeboarding while i was there and they were makin some noise but it wasnt overwhelming..
Other Thoughts: This course was pretty memorable for me and I hope to play it again if im in charleston. This one had several shots over the water that were fun from the white tees and wouldve been extreme from the blue tees. I wish I had a set of floating discs and a person in a boat to follow me around so i could play the blue tees all out. Between this course an the fire swamp, if im in the area again and only have time for one i'd come here. plus the Angel Oak is righty down the road and its pretty cool too.

Water!

1    11/13/2015   11/13/2015
Review By: J_slowe
Pros: The course is different than what I have seen.
Three different tee locations
Cons: Hole 3 basket was in water. Standing water 10 feet around the basket
Hole 4 was unplayable due to the same water from 3.
Red tee had no pad or concrete.
Staff was unwilling to open the pro shop for us to buy disc. While manager was over near the wakeboarding people.

Other Thoughts: Overall I think this course needs some drainage to help with water. After that, it could be a 4star as this website says.

Clear the water and you will be fine

5+    6/30/2015   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
Pros: 3 different sets of tee pads
Lots of water in play
some longer holes
some pins very close to water
hanging/buried basket hole is pretty cool
risk/reward shots on many holes
Cons: very flat
6$ a day to play with no annual pass available
may have to wait for zip liners
Other Thoughts: Overall it is a nice course but I couldn't give it 4 stars because of the fee to play is too high. I guess you get a free round after you pay for 10 rounds but that's 60$ which is well more than any park pass I've ever heard of. In Michigan there are many different parks in which you have to pay to enter the park, but nothing near that much. I love the holes where you have to clear 300+ feet of water to find the fairway, and there are more than a couple. I recommend playing this course if you don't mind paying every time you play.

Lives up to the Name

1    5/25/2015   6/26/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros: -Three sets of tees designed perfectly to challenge the beginner, intermediate, and advanced players respectively.
-Tee signs at every teebox with all possible of information you would need for the hole.
-Pretty easy to navigate even without a map. If you can find any teebox for the next hole, the info to find the correct teebox is on every sign.
-Decent disc golf shop with a pretty good selection of new discs.
-The risk/reward factor was mixed in really well, offering a wide variety of challenges for players of all skill levels and throwing styles.
Cons: -Course is pretty flat, but that's just the way it is around this area.
-A ton of water hazards in play... 10/18 holes. Some baskets were very close to the water. This course lives up to its name for sure. Very high chance your disc will end up in the water at some point.
-Holes 11-13 had some overlap that could cause issues on busy days.
-#16 plays a blind shot over the main entrance road, it's not a busy road but it could cause problems
Other Thoughts: This course is absolutely worth the $5 dollar fee to play. I would definitely come back and play this course again if I am in the area. I found it a really enjoyable round. The course kept me wondering what possibly could be coming up next. Yep, it truly lives up to its name. The course offers a challenge to all players and tests your skills and decision making with many risk/reward shots. I really enjoyed the sunken and hanging basket on 13. The flow between holes was a little funky in a few spots but it was manageable. This course has quite a few positives and only a few negatives. In my opinion it's the best course in the Charleston area.

Underwhelmed

1    4/20/2015   5/27/2015
Review By: SpatialT
Pros: Multiple tees for each hole
Relatively Easy to navigate
Disc golf shop on site
Good mix of power and accuracy needed, especially from the long tees
Funky holes (elevated and sunken baskets)
Cons: If it is windy, which it was when I played, it can be tough, especially the holes with baskets near the lake.
Pay to play
discs in the lake are likely to occur.
Some shots cross the entrance road. That could be reworked..
Other Thoughts: I am surprised by the high rating. i felt the course was more of an after thought to the water sports on the lake. The funky holes and disc golf shop on site make it a nice place to play but it was a bit boring, to be honest. I played three courses on a recent visit (fire swamp and park circle) and this was the best, but not by much. I am used to hilly, forested courses so the flat courses tend to be less interesting for me..but I was lucky enough to have someone practicing their wakeboarding using the automated pully system rigged over the lake..now, where else can you get video of that while getting prepped to drop a deuce on the lake's edge?

Top Notch course

1    5/19/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: devil2RVA
Pros: This course offered a solid variety of shots. Some over water (very difficult water), yet some just long, some with a funny mando, and even a sunk basket! THe best part is with three tee pads, it is really designed with the level of player in mind. Red is really for a beginner, and takes the water aspect out of it. White is for an intermediate player who is ready to start testing the water shots. And Blue is for advanced / tournament.
Cons: It ate three of my discs. I'll miss you guys!

Surprisingly Good!

1    5/13/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: DougCrawford
This review was updated on 5/15/2015
Pros: Well maintained, grass and trees/bushes were well trimmed

Excellent signage, detailed distances that helped judge the water carries and landing zones for drives

Great use of water. 7 shots over the water, and several more risky baskets next to it.

Multiple teepads that offered a pretty big variety in difficulty. I only had time to play the longs(blue), but could see that reds were still appropriate for beginners, as they eliminated most of the water carries, and were usually significantly shorter.

Good risk vs. reward on many shots. I felt like this was a course where you could decide how difficult it was going to be. On the holes that played along the water you could choose how much of the fairway you wanted to bite off, and on the water carries it was pretty easy to see if you had to lay up or try to clear it.

Variety of fairway shapes. right to left, left to right, straight- a little bit of everything.

I putted with a roller. :)

Cons: Flat. theres some artificial elevation with baskets on hills, but all the fairways are flat, but it is the beach, theres not really much to work with.

Automatic wakeboard machine runs in between several holes. Didnt bother me much, but if you are the type that needs quiet during your throw, the sound of the machine and the people enjoying the wakeboard could be pretty distracting.

Other Thoughts: After seeing the rating of this course, I was pleasantly surprised. I usually play in/around Charlotte on courses that have higher ratings and would take this over a couple of them easily.

This course is one you could play over time and improve, and it would still be interesting. Gaining accuracy and distance open up opportunities that arent just maybe making it a little farther down the fairway. 10 and 11 are good examples- on 11 its about 185 to the edge of the water, but 330 to clear the water, and few options for a flat shot. 330 is my average long controlled drive, but a 330 ft. hyzer over the water in the wind was a tad uncomfortable at that time for me.

This could be a pro for some and a con for some- other than the water, bad throws werent punished too much. Recovery from hitting a tree or shanking your drive was fairly easy. I saved par on several holes by making a not too difficult upshot after a bad drive.

Well worth the $5

2-4    7/7/2014   7/10/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - Concrete tee pads on long & mid (blue & white) in good shape.
- Nice tee signs showing not only the normal info - but also info such as water carry - distance to water, etc as needed.
- 3 sets of well marked tees with varying difficulty and water risk. Blue has lots of water in play and some longer carries (250 is longest if you lay up on a hole or 2). White has a few shorter carries. Red has no carries but a few with water close by.
- Nice pro shop on site with a great selection.
- They pond dive for your discs and you can buy them back for a few $
- Good variety of golf shots required (outside of the water). Some are fairly tight - a few quite open - and one long bomber (over 1000' par 5).
- Hole 13. Tight double mando off the tee - and it opens up to either ~295 raised haning basket (blue) or 282' to a sunken basket (white). Bonus as I managed to ace the sunken basket with a nice hyzer flip. :)
Cons: - Not really a con to me - but $5 to play is worth the mention. (note - it was well worth the $5)
- Hole 16 crosses the road (twice). Although the road is not busy you can't see anything coming as you throw from the blue tee.
- Course flow got a bit awkward in a few spots and had me wandering a bit to find the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I have played both the blue & white tees and enjoyed them both (even though blue handed me my lunch...and stole my bandit RIP). I also brought along a beginner who had a good day with no lost discs from the reds. It is well worth the $5 to play and is the best of the courses that I was able to bag while in Charleston for a few days. This course has so much going for it with very few drawbacks. I just wish it was close to home so I could play it more often.

Great course!

2-4    5/24/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: Blazemedown
Pros: Beautifully kept tees/course with extraordinarily unique looks/holes. Great pro shop (great selection) with helpful staff (I recovered a disc I didn't even know I lost thanks to them).
Challenging course with crystal clear salt water coming into play on many holes.
Good mix of long open droves with some technical shots.
Cons: There's a lot of water- i could see how others might be frustrated after a bad round at this course and misrepresent the incredibly unique merits of this course with reviews
Other Thoughts: After 2 consecutive days at this course I managed to only lose 2 discs. From what my friends have told me, that was an accomplishment- many of those I've talked to faired much worse.
Regardless, it's a beautifully kept + totally unique course that is as challenging as it is spectacular.
Don't be fooled by the 4.x rating; it is one ofmthe best courses I've ever played

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6