Holts Summit, MO
Holts Summit DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brokensaint Hole #3 (Taken 2/2016)

Fantastic, I was cursing with every Tree Hit!

1    12/17/2017   12/18/2017
Review By: Cujo
This review was updated on 1/22/2018
Pros: Very Difficult...in a good way.
From the very first hole you know you are in for some swearing. I hit trees on 50% of the holes. By the 6-7th hole I was laughing walking up to each tee pad wondering what sort of despair would happen next.

-I'm not sure what a previous reviewer was talking about with the navigation. I thought it was great. Clear paths to the next hole. Easy to find.

- Benches on several holes

-You will need everything in your bag. Even your driver on 1/2 holes.

-The Scenery. It was beautiful in the dead of Winter. I cannot wait to see the course in April/May. It will be beautiful
Cons: -Leaves 1-2 inches deep blanket most of the course. Any disc that didn't land flat was buried. I spent 20-30 minutes finding my disk, about 3-4 minutes on each hole that was in the woods. Even if it was in the fairway.
- I played a solo round and I was wishing I would have had a spotter.

Stumps: There are many holes with 3-4 inch stumps down the fairways. It's annoying for several reasons.
1. Dangerous, especially in the winter
2. You can be royally robbed when trying to play skip shots when the stumps are covered in Leaves.
3. Hitting unseen stumps and turn your disc into a roller when it bounces up and that could be a disaster at this course with all the elevation changes.

Monkey Trap baskets:
OK I know these are a thing in the Mid-Mo -Southern MO - Ozark area. I have played 3 courses with these baskets and the baskets have reacted differently at each course. At this course the chains are LIGHT. I blasted my putt on Hole one right through. You will be chaining out all day if you don't hit center with some decent touch. Another course I played (and why I threw my Hole 1 putt with such gusto) with a slightly older version of these baskets (I assume) had chains that could've doubled as boat anchor chains. Vastly different reactions to the same basket. I'm guessing folks didn't like the earlier version so the manufacturer swapped the chains but now they seem a bit too light. I do love the bright colors on the baskets and the flags to help you find them.
Other Thoughts: I know it seems like I complained about the leaves and the stumps and the baskets but really those are minor. The leaves will hopefully blow away or compost by spring/summer which would make the stumps easier to see/avoid and the baskets are ok once you adjust your putts. Really this is a gem of a tight wooded course. I would love to throw a round with someone who can shoot this course 6-7 under. You really have to nail the 5-6 holes with clear paths to the baskets then hope you can hit your windows for the rest.

Shooting Even par isn't too difficult if you have a decent inside circle putting game. The course has a few gimmie holes where a 850-900 rated player should be getting birdies every round. Couple that with inevitable tree hits and wala. I shot +1 6 Bogeys/5 Birdies. It was great fun and I had the place to myself.

If you are in the Area and have not played this you are missing out. This will be a 4 Star Course once it's played another couple years....the fairways will open up a smidge and hopefully some stumps will be ground down

Give it time

1    9/3/2017   9/12/2017
Review By: Sskamui
Pros: Technical, difficult, exclusive to disc golf with no other park traffic.
Cons: New Clear cut fairways with a lot of stumps. Unclear direction and signs.
Other Thoughts: A young course that just needs some work with 5.0 rating potential.

Great new course

1    7/30/2016   7/30/2016
Review By: mrbro855
Pros: This is definitely a wooded course requiring thought to each shot. I generally am not a wooded course fan, but I LOVED this course.
Had all the usual: good quality concrete pads, excellent signage, great flow to the course.
Great use of elevation.
Had at least two signature holes in my book:
#11 is a long hole with the basket positioned right before a drop-off- you miss long and you'll pay for it. and #12 is a short throw over a deep valley with the basket atop a hill supported by a 5 foot wall of 4 X4's.
The designers had nature to work with and did well doing so!!
Cons: As a new course built thru the woods, it still needs to thin out the fairways a bit. There was on tree on both 1 and 11 that needed to go for sure. As stated by previous reviewer, there are still a lot of piles of wood from the initial construction.
Flow-wise.... going from 15 to 16 was a bit of a challenge.
Other Thoughts: This was course #3 on a 4 course swing through Columbia/ Jeff City area and was by far my favorite of the day. Still needs some clean up and work on some of the would be creek areas (was dry today). As stated no pad for 16 yet.
With a bit of work, this moves to a 4 in my book easily.

Course with a lot of potential!

2-4    10/18/2015   10/20/2015
Review By: n.maglio
Pros: Very technical course that requires you to pull out every different type of shot you have while using an extreme amount of control. Scores average in the upper 50s to lower 60s for intermediate players and better.
Cons: Course is only weeks old. Is still in the process of being finished but a B tier PDGA tournament was held there so it is playable. All pads are in. Some trees and brush piles yet to be removed.
Other Thoughts: When walking from 6 to 7, make sure to walk to the right as you approach 6's pin and head off to 7. If you were to walk off to the left looking for 7 you would find hole 7b it is an extra that may be implemented in the future.