Staunton, VA
Hole #14 Tee: Basket is 70' in the woods straight ahead

Unappreciated Course, GREAT DGC

2-4    8/29/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: Stud Muffin
Pros: >Awesome variety, woods, open, differing elevation.

>A real challenge, not a pushover course.

>Looks great. Well taken care of, nice views.
Cons: >Natural Tees, always a negative to me.

>Sometimes confusing. Could easily go from 2 to 6, missing 3-5, if not paying attention.

>15 to 16 should be better guided with a sign or 2, so far away. [16 outside right field of baseball field, over the fence.]
Other Thoughts: >I have to acknowledge that the low ratings on this course is unjustified. This is an excellent course to play.

Pleasant surprise

1    10/17/2010   10/24/2010
Review By: DiscGolfCraig
This review was updated on 8/8/2014
Pros: Solid 18 hole course with multiple tees & baskets, allowing for all skill levels to enjoy.
- Very good mix of holes, with course playing in and out of the woods. Elevation isn't a factor on most holes, with it only playing a major role on #1,2, 16 & 17.
- Kiwanis follows the "less is more" mantra when it comes to course layout. Holes have solid, but not complicated layouts, but still require precise shot-making to shoot well. There were no overly difficult/frustrating holes, but there were also no easy, birdie 2 holes.
- I liked the multiple tee pads and baskets. It gave some nice variety of looks, although there could have been more. The different tee locations could have been better identified on several holes. I couldn't figure if the long baskets were UVA orange or Va Tech orange?
- Course flows nicely throughout the park. Front 9 is much closer together, back 9 is more spread out, which means more walking. #10 tee is near first tee, so you can easily play only the front or back 9 if not enough time for the entire 18.
- Very good signage between holes, especially when there are long walks between holes. There's also some very nice scenic views while you're playing.
- Very nice, spacious park. I drove in through the first entrance, instead of the main one, so I was surprised to see the park have so much space. There's a lot more room in the park past all the disc golf space. I noticed the park gets much hillier in the back, and with plenty of land back there, maybe a second 18 one day?
Cons: I didn't have a lot of problems with the course. The local DGC seems to be on top of things here.
- The biggest problem was that I couldn't find the long (blue) tee pads on some holes. I couldn't find a long tee pad on holes #5, 9, 13, 14 & 18. According to the course map, some of these holes (#9, 13 & 18) only have 1 tee location, but according to the website, there are different distances for the long & short tees. So I'm not sure which one is right. On #14, there are broken blue colored bricks along the fairway, so not sure where exactly the tee should be. It'd be nice to have a final verdict on which is correct, then have either the map or the website updated.
- Layout could be a little better, especially on the front 9. Holes #2 - 6 are way too close together. From #2 tee, you're within putting range #4 basket. You then walk past tees for #6 and basket for #5. The tees for #5 are in the fairway for #4, or at least close enough to the fairway that you couldn't tee off on #4 if someone is standing on #5 tee. As mentioned above, there's enough room in the park to create a new hole or two (or 18), and unclog this traffic jam. When the course is crowded this could be a real problem.
- There could be a little more maintenance on some holes. A couple of the holes in the back (#7 - 8 & 14 - 16) could use to see the rough shorter and some trash (broken bricks, litter) & branches removed. On these holes, it almost felt like the course was still being broken in, and not several years old.
- I never saw restrooms or water fountains anywhere near the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid, mid-level course. It's enjoyable with some reasonable challenges. I played the 2nd longest layout (blue tees to yellow baskets), and never felt any of the holes were overly difficult.
- I think the best way to describe a course like this is that it's fair. You're not going to (or at least shouldn't) have any blow-up, high-score holes. Even the wooded holes had clear fairways. But, while you can keep racking up the pars, you're going to have earn your birdie chances.
- The course definitely got better as it went along. After getting through the congestion of holes #2 - 5, it was solid from there on out, with the back 9 being better than the front. I loved the stretch of holes #12 - 15 (3 of the 4 holes in the 270 - 290 range), that all had different, and enjoyable layouts. I loved the old wall along the side of the fairway on #14. Very nice touch seeing that incorporated into the hole.
- The coolest hole is #6. Short hole that plays slightly downhill over the road. Holes is open except for trees to the right of the basket, so disc has to hold its line to get it close to the basket. This is a hole where you want to throw multiple shots for fun.
- Good course. It's 10 minutes off the interstate, so if you're in the area, you should check it out.

Solid 18-hole course

2-4    6/1/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: pascal
Pros: -Discatchers (always a pro for me.)
-Alternate orange baskets on some holes
-Good exercise, this course is a bit of a hike.
-Excellent variety of Wooded and open holes
-Multiple tees
-Good signs designating holes and directing to next
Cons: -Hard to find the beginning of the course.
-Rough terrain
-Map needs updating
-Tees can be difficult to find
Other Thoughts: This is about an hour drive for me. The distance and the fact that Walnut Creek is just down the road from me doesn't have any bearing on the quality of this course. But in the interest of full disclosure, it does affect my perspective on some level.

That said, this is the second Kiwanis course I have played. I had some real difficulty in finding it. If you're coming from the east, don't trust Google. The location on this site is right, but Google tells you to use some roads that I'm pretty sure don't exist, or are on private property. Use the written directions on the course page and you'll be okay.

Once I got there I had some trouble finding it. This site says that the first tee is next to the practice basket near the tennis courts and that maps are in the black mailbox. The basket closest to the courts is 18 and there is a black mailbox next to it. Don't be fooled, this isn't it. There is an orange basket (alt basket for 9) viewable from the tennis courts, the mailbox with the maps is next to it.

The course is a little confusing. Some backtracking is required but there are enough bunny trails to prevent crossing too many fairways.

The hardest part is finding the tees. They are a little schizophrenic. Nearly every sign shows two tees (red and blue). However, distances are given for a third tee (gold). The signs don't give any indication of how to find the gold tees and the map doesn't show where any specific tees are (I only found one gold tee the whole time). Sometimes the signs and the course disagree. For instance, on five, the gravel tee (had to be the blue tee based on the sign) also was painted red on a part of it, while two red tee blocks where both tossed to the side of the right fairway 30 feet up.

Aside from not specifying specific tees the map was pretty good. Just don't take it too literally. It had me searching for #14 for about 15 minutes. It's very detailed, perhaps deceptively so. Treat it like a rough sketch and you'll be fine.

As far as the alternate baskets go, they are nice. Orange-topped discatchers. However, they are not on every hole and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which holes have them. The map is wrong about two of them. #9 is next to the blue tee for #1 and not up in the woods on the left of the reg #9. Also, #17 has an orange basket not on the map (visible from the regular basket).

My only complaint about the orange baskets is that they don't seem to add a whole lot to the course. #6 and #11 are alright. But some, #7, #16, for example, just seem like they were dropped in a clump of trees and don't really require any different type of shot to par the hole. Others make the course frustrating. Maybe this is just because the signs say they are all par 3's. But on #1 from the red tees, even if you drop a perfectly accurate 350 ft drive in front of an opening of trees, you still have a technical mid-range shot to get to the basket, and all that just for par.

But I'm being a little hard on this course. Once you get the hang of it I'm sure it goes a little more smoothly. There is a good bit of variety and someone with less of a commute could enjoy this I'm sure. I won't go back myself.

The last thing I'd say is that parts of the brush are really rough. I'm okay with trees and bushes, but certain sections are just bushwhack brush, or piles of cleared brush, the kinda stuff that you can walk across. Go off the fairway on the back nine and prepare to be scratched up big time.

Overall, this is a solid 18-hole course. The designer generally knew what they were doing and did a good job using the space. It looks like the plans were grand and they ran out of money before the tees were completed. If your in the area, it's worth the time to play, or if you're local and have the time to find all the tees or play with someone who knows them I can imagine it would be a great experience. It's not worth driving an hour if you already have some good courses where you live.

Almost

1    3/24/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: 1978
Pros: This course has some good moments. There are a few neat holes, some in the spring play over ponds where a wet disc is possible if you go for the pin. Luckily the ponds are shallow so getting your disc is not a problem. There are wooded and open holes and multiple basket locations. This makes for a very interesting course. Extra baskets definitely moved my rating up a bit. I played with a group of beginners and was able to show them almost every different type of shot I could think of. The variety of the course is a plus. I think half the holes were wooded and half open, and there were some decent bomb holes. The course was well maintained. I saw someone doing course maintenance while I played. It was awesome.
Cons: Layout layout layout. The first 9 is rough. It is almost like a spider designed the front 9. It is extremely confusing. You have to cross over or walk back down fairways multiple times. One hole throws over a road. Many of the tee locations are too close to adjacent fairways.
Other Thoughts: All in all a decent course for the area. I would play here if I lived nearby. It just doesnt hold up in layout, design, and looks to 3 rated courses in more developed disc golf towns. Compared to other local courses I would imagine this would be a 3 or so, but you can't review according to what is nearby. Definitely stop by if you are on your way north along RT 81. You will have fun.

DG Stew...hard to digest

1    3/19/2010   4/2/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: My title reflects my sentiments about this course. It's like being force fed a huge dinner of different types of food. Some are wonderful treats. Some repulse you. Some you want to savor and some you want to throw up. It really comes down to your tastes. Afterwards...when someone asks you how was your meal. You are puzzled in what to answer. I really enjoyed certain aspects of this course. Other aspects I hated. I have a feeling this course might be an acquired taste and if I played it more...I might enjoy it more.
OK enough driveling analogy. The course caters to all levels with orange (expert) and yellow (rec) baskets there are also 2-3 tees per hole with varying tighter looks or twisted angles from the tees and not just distance added. Course is set on some hilly terrain and this is implemented into the design. Good balance with 1/3 technical woods,1/3 more open and 1/3 fairway golf. 2 holes (12,13) played over water when I was there but this was after rainstorms and these may usuaaly be boggy marshy areas as opposed to interesting pond jumper holes. A lot of unique features here: a warm up tee pad and fairway to the practice basket (yeah you actually have to warm up your drive before starting on a <200 ft practice fairway from the kiosk to hole #1..I never saw that before) the overhand vs traditional throw decision from the tee pad of hole 1, some fast greens (2,8,11), Some monstrous drives and some snaking wooded fairways(14,15). Good elevation changes throughout course. 18 is a gorgeous finishing hole that provides some relatively open downhill canopied drama as you can birdie it but most likely won't.
Cons: This might be tough to swallow but its my opinion. Seems that thorns and schule are seen as part of the design here. I love big trees, spindly trees, evergreens, and even bushes. I have no patience for thorns and underbrush directly off the fairways. On several holes such brush is apparent and seems to almost be part of the design. Maybe the course is raw and the volunteer manpower has spent time in other areas of the course and schule removal is seen as low priority. I have a beef with schule and if I have to wade into thickets and bleed more than a handful of times for shots that are not too errant I am discouraged. Hole 1 to me was looking to be one of the most brilliant holes I have played until I saw the peek-a-boo basket with a narrow lane with schule surrounding her. Why not keep the tight approach and the trees and get rid of the sloppy underbrush. A missed opportunity there IMO. A few other holes had thorns and thickets precariously close to the greens. Putting around trees and over bushes is fun...standing in a picker bush with thorns digging into your legs as your putting for birdie...not so fun.(I might be dramatic but once you remove a picker bush it's gone and the trees actually grow better and the course improves aesthetically and playwise w/o losing difficulty) Some confusion re: layout as is the case on all multi-tee multi-basket layouts. Poorly marked. Navigation was an issue....Missing basket for hole 9 (I believe its now the practice basket?) It's an odd layout that weaves in and around available land within the park...dodging other activities. No conflicts with other park uses but you never feel like your on a DG course as much as your in a park playing DG. The course is raw as of this writing...I would not go as far as to call it ugly. I think I would have enjoyed the old #14 shot across the valley. Looked like a signature hole to me. I wish they kept that and got rid of one of the woods holes earlier in the course. Tees are natural..some scoff at this.Roads, baseball fields, power lines...not the best scenery. My only true gripe is keeping the schule and pickers as an obstacle.
Other Thoughts: I have a feeling this course might develop into a pleasant play. I prefer to get away from people when I play so this course will never have that quality but it has a lot going for it. The design is ambitious with length and variety. Some grooming and a few signs, maps, tees to help first timers and this place could easily be a 4.

A good mix

1    3/25/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: svens06
Pros: This course definitely provides a good range of challenges from long range open field drives to narrow wooded clearings.

The nice thing with this course is most of the holes have some options on were to tee off from and which basket to choose from.

My home course in Stroudsburg PA, is completely in the woods which some of the holes remind me of this. Even the open field shots have some challenges when the basket is behind some trees, or around a turn, or on the side of a hill. I will definitely play this course again.

Hole six is really fun, you get to throw off a hill side cliff (make sure your throwing at the right basket tho)

Another pro is that there is minimal water. There is two little duck ponds on the back nine, one would be a really bad shot if you hit it, the other you need to shoot over but you throw from the top of a hill and its nothing crazy. It doesnt look deep so i think u would be able to retrieve the disk.

Even if you walk this course its going to be good exercise, if you can run it, your basically the man, or part machine.

The area seems pretty nice, and while i was there they had park maintenance so its prob really nice in the summer.
Cons: The course layout is alittle crazy. Tee boxes aren't usually withing eyesight of the basket, or u kinda have to think about where to go. While the multiple tees and baskets are nice, it causes some confusion.

Since it was my first time playing on three separate holes i ended up throwing at the wrong baskets so i had to walk back to the tee box.

The tee boxes are a bit haphazard, some are dirt with colored stones as markings, while others are nice wooden framed with level rock fillings. For me its a bit inconsistent. one or two holes you just know where to tee off because the ground area has no grass from people throwing.

The woods could definitely use some trimming / planting grass or sprucing up. (clearing trash) I went in the spring so, i don't know how it is in the summer or fall.

While i like having trees as obstacles, its annoying to trudge through thicket when your disc goes 3 or 4 feet left or right (on the wooded shots).
Other Thoughts: If anyone goes to Stroudsburg PA, I would rank Yetter Park DGC first, Field of dreams in Great meadows nj, then this course, then Rivers edge park in shawnee Pa.

Lots of great changes

5+    11/3/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: Chutney
This review was updated on 3/25/2010
Pros: There are lots of different combinations of holes. Two current sets of tees, and nine holes with long basket overlays. Many of the greens on the more open holes have sloped greens that add in the factor of 3-putting.

The red tee-yellow basket layout is pretty short, is good for beginners, but still has a few longer holes. The red-orange and blue-yellow layouts are good for intermediate-advancing players. Blue-orange is well suited for advanced/open players. I almost always play this course from the blue-orange layout, so I tend to think of it in that setup. It has the best selection of holes including nine par 4s.

A fun and challenging assortment of holes with well thought out extensions. These holes require controlled distance along with a solid upshot/midrange game to score well. You'll get to throw every shot at some point on the course. Wooded-open, open-wooded, tight woods, forgiving woods, and a few air it out holes. Everything from ace runs to long bomb double driver holes.

Never have to wait to play. The course is getting busier but you can always just walk on and play.

The park is always nicely mowed and the course is free to play year-round.

Several tee boxes have been built recently. Timbers with packed gravel. Most are still grass.
Cons: Lack of consistent tee signs. Also, hard to know where the pavers are buried if you aren't familiar with the course. There is a map on the back of the scorecards that are in the black mailbox by the first tee.

Not many trashcans available. There's one on the way to hole 9 in the parking lot by the upper softball field, and in the parking lot near hole 17's tee. There is some litter around.

The course is in a multiuse park with a road running close to several of the holes. If softball season is in full swing, occasionally you might have to ask someone to move or wait for cars to go by before you throw.

Some list natural tees as a con. I guess I have played on them so long I don't mind. Some of the tees are a bit uneven, but most are fine.

On holes 4 and 5, there is only one box constructed (the blue tees) Holes 3, 7, and 8 have both red and blue Most of the tees are still grass.

Some of the wooded holes still have small piles of logs next to the fairways that have not been moved.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, and a lot of people have contributed creative ideas and worked hard in implementing it's redesign. The main reason I gave the course a 4 was because of the of the longer layout and the full range of golf shots you will throw. A really well rounded setup. I know a public park isn't the most beautiful setting you will play disc golf in, but I think the course makes up for it.

Gold tees will be finished soon.

Estimated SSAs
Red-Yellow- 47
Red Orange- 51.5
Blue-Yellow- 53
Blue-Orange-60

Hole 14 is completely different. Now a wooded par 4. Hole 15 is now 100' longer and turns right down the hill.

Hope to add new pics soon

Great VA Course

2-4    9/26/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: dobsonr
This review was updated on 1/3/2010
Pros: Kiwanis is a great course. The most obvious pro, to me, is the variety in the holes. The course makes great use of the land in the park - no two holes are alike. The course provides plenty of chances to air it out, but also has plenty of technical, wooded holes. With two tees (red = short, blue = long) and two baskets (yellow = short, orange = long) on almost every hole, the course appeals to recreational players as well as pros. I would recommend playing a few rounds here, if you have time, and taking advantage of the different tee/basket combinations.

The course has clearly gotten a lot of TLC since some of the early reviews were written. All of the baskets are very nice and appear to be new. The course layout has been redone recently and is very well thought out. The long (orange) basket for #9 serves as a practice basket, and there is actually enough room to throw drives and use it as a practice hole, which I've never seen before. The bulletin board by the tennis courts has information about upcoming events, and scorecards/maps and pencils can be found in the mailbox by the blue tee for #1.
Cons: I really only have two complaints about this course, and I have a feeling that they will be addressed eventually so I'm not losing sleep over them. First of all, the tees are all natural - usually I don't mind this much, but I just played a tournament here in the rain and the tees were quite problematic. Also, they are marked by pavers in the ground, which are tough to see sometimes. Framed-in tees would provide more traction, and would also be easier to find.

My second complaint is the lack of signage on the course. There are tee signs on some holes, but not all of them. This is probably due to recent changes in the course, though. Also, there are a few signs pointing to the next tees, but there need to be more. The map provided on the back of the scorecard is very helpful, though, so be sure to pick one up.

#9 was the hardest tee for me to find - after finishing hole 8, follow the fence past the baseball field and down the hill towards the road. The red tee throws between the two big trees, with the basket straight ahead about 400 ft. This tee would be a lot easier to find if there were a sign, but once you play it once it's not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: Overall I think that Kiwanis is a great course. It's well worth the 40-minute drive from Charlottesville, and if you're ever in the area I definitely recommend checking it out (it's only 5 minutes from 81).

I have heard people say that this is the 4th best course in the state, behind The Grange, Loriella, and Walnut Creek Park. I'd put this course above Loriella, but I think that Bryan Park in Richmond belongs in that conversation as well. All in all, a great course that is a must-play for Virginia disc golfers.

Variety

1    2/8/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: Olorin
Pros: There's all kinds of variety here. You've got short tees and long tees. You've got 8 holes that have two permanent baskets; the extra orange baskets are snazzy. You've also got 6 holes on the back 9 with Gold basket positions. Add it all up and you've got 5 layouts to choose from! Throw in elevation variety on almost every hole and a decent amount of terrain variety. There are some holes in the woods, a few open grass, several with challenging foliage, and a few with scattered trees among nice grass. Oh yeah, there's fantastic length variety too. On the long layout I played (Blue tees to Orange baskets) there were all kinds of differing lengths (6<299/ 3<399/ 5<499/ 2<599/ 1 of 620/ 1 of 700).
Cons: -The natural tees are adequate, but it would help if they were framed, and a couple were sloping instead of level.
-There are some potential safety issues. On a few holes you throw dangerously close to park roads, and some shots can be hard to see cars.
-Navigation: Hopefully you can get a map on the score card near the course message board. Without a map it would be hard to find your way in a few places. Finding tee 3 would be confusing. Some tees were hard to find, even with the map. (Blue tee 9 was very hard to find; both of hole 14's and 18 Red tee were also hard to locate.) Some baskets were also hard to see from the tee.
Other Thoughts: Course Level of the long layout (Blue to Orange baskets) = Blue (most suited for Advanced players rated 925-975)

At a few spots the variety of layout options can become a weakness because the multiple baskets can make it hard to figure out which basket to throw to.

The tee signs were merely average with only the length on them. The rough is fairly open, but there were thorns, thick brush, and debris in places. There can be lots of wind on the open holes, and there was some soggy ground in some places.

I especially enjoyed the finishing holes, 17 & 18, because they feature the nice park setting of grass with scattered trees that I've really grown to like.

All in all it's a good course with a few aspects that could be a bit better. With all of the variety I bet the locals never get bored there, though.

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my reviews and rating notes at the Yahoo Group, DG Course Reviews, http://sports.groups.yahoo.co...ourseReviews/

Colourful Options

2-4    4/11/2009   4/14/2009
Review By: swatso
Pros:
With two sets of tee areas (red closer, blue farther) on each hole, and two baskets (yellow closer, orange farther) on 8 of the 18 holes (1,2,6,7,11,12,14,16). you can play the course in various ways.

Scorecards, with map, available at tee #1 (near practice basket, apparently former orange basket #9)

Signs, with distances, at most holes to help you find tees and baskets.

Nice variety of open, fully wooded, trees-partially-in-play holes, with left, right, S-shape, and straight shots all needed. Some minor change in elevation on most holes.

Favourite basket location: #2 orange, in the middle of a terraced mini-cliff.
Cons:
Could not find sign on #9, #18.
Grass tee areas.
Tee areas marked by ground-level concrete red or blue squares in various states of (dis)repair which can be difficult to find.

Some parts of the course rather unattractive, in former (current?) dumping areas. Holes 7-8, 12-15, 14 in particular, not very attractive.

If there are no maps/scorecards at tee #1, this would be a difficult course for a first-time visitor to navigate.
The shortest course (red tees to yellow baskets) average ~265', the longest (blue to orange) just under 400', and the middle two are similar in length, averaging around 325'.

Info for #9:
- the orange basket no longer appears to serve that function - it is now the practice basket.
- the blue tee is near the parking lot behind home plate of the nearby baseball field
- the red tee is quite some distance away, near the road
- the closest basket is actually #10 - #9's is farther away, to the right of the white pine trees

Having multiple baskets along with multiple tees really allows a single piece of land to serve as many different courses.