Stephens City, VA

< Prev 1 2 3
18 holes, some of them interesting

1    8/11/2017   8/11/2017
Review By: globetrotter
Other Thoughts: Sherando was a decent course with a couple of holes that I really liked, but it also had too many wide open holes and too many wooded holes with a generic feel to them, like you've played them a thousand times before on other courses. If this course was in my backyard, I'd play it and be glad to have it, but it's not worth making a trip, and even if I am in the area again, I'm likely to just play an extra round at one of the other nearby courses instead.

My Sherando

1    6/11/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Sherando Park is a simple course that offers some fun plays. With layouts that reward great shot-making, players can see some low scores.
- Don't let the first two holes fool you. Two field holes quickly lead to a series of shorter, hilly layouts in the woods. Some sharp doglegs make holes #3 - 6 (the longest being 201 feet) non-guaranteed 2s. In fact, you might be searching for a disc deep in the woods if you get too aggressive and miss your line.
- For such a compact space, these holes do not feel on top of each other. I felt like I kept winding back and forth, expecting to start overlapping with other holes. Instead, these holes have the proper spacing.
- For a short course - average hole length 260 feet from the regular tees - there's a high risk/reward level here. Average players could play smart, safe, boring rounds and card 54s. Or you can try to be aggressive, even if it's only selectively so, and start seeing your fair share of 2s on the card. Just be prepared for some bogey 4s as well once you start playing that game.
- Not a single blind tee-shot that I can remember. Compared to other courses nearby - Jim Barnett, Signal View, and even, Poor Farm House - you're able to see where you're throwing from the tees. With mediocre tee signs, you need the help.
- #9, 12, and 14 all offer classic straight-line holes with fairways lined by trees on both sides. They range from a tight line on #9 to more spacious fairways on the other two holes.
- The park has some very nice-looking soccer fields. You'll get to see all of them up close and personal during your 5-minute walk from the parking lot to the first tee.
Cons: Navigation can be greatly improved. The tee signs are useless as there's not much info on them. At least the hole numbers are correct.
- Getting to the first hole, I was thinking about playing the long tee. I couldn't tell for certain if the lone tee pad off to the side was the one for #1. There's another tee pad in the middle of the field that serves no purpose. Perhaps it's for an old layout - #9, perhaps? - or it's another random, unmarked long tee.
- The long tees were clearly put in well after this course was designed. It shows as there are a couple of awkward lines right off the tee pad making for some unnecessarily and unnatural shots. A little more work should have gone in to making a true second layout if that's the intended goal.
- Benches, trashcans, water fountains and other amenities aren't to be found within the course itself. There are picnic tables at hole #1, but that's as close as you'll find.
Other Thoughts: Sherando Park is a good, change-of-pace course. Being more of a mid-range layout (13 holes are under 300 feet), it gives players a chance to rest their arms and instead focus on accuracy.
- I surmise the fairways are a little tighter in the summer when the trees have full coverage, and are a little more open in the winter, when leaves have fallen. That's a good thing because a couple of holes had low ceilings during my June round.
- LHBH players will enjoy the sharp dogleg rights on #6 & 7. #7 has the added challenge of trees, giving players the option of hitting the narrow route, or going wider, taking the safe route.
- What is it with courses in northern Virginia along I-81 and the inability to have a good closing hole? Probably half the holes on this course would have resulted in a better ending to the round that the wide-open, no-obstacle current #18.
- This was a good, mid-range course. Even if you can't throw a tee-shot more than 250 feet, you'll still be able to make your way around this course in good shape.
- With a couple days of hindsight, I'm liking this course more than when I was playing it. The good holes are standing out even more so, and I'm overlooking some of the cons. Overall, this is a fun, decent place for a round. It's a good course to bring beginners and casual players. It's not as good as Jim Barnett, but it's worth checking out.

Fun course for a quick round

1    2/6/2016   2/7/2016
Review By: thirtydirtybirds
Pros: This is a nice course. The layout is easy to follow, and I like the tee pads. All the holes are marked well. There is more open than wooded holes, but the mix is good. Trash cans on every hole make keeping it clean easy.

Being fairly open, the biggest obstacle for me was the wind. There are still well placed pins on the open holes, using elevation or sparse trees to add elements of difficulty.
Cons: Not many to mention really. It was a little muddy, but this isn't that big a deal. The walk from the parking area is a bit long, but that also means the course is isolated from the rest of the park.
Other Thoughts: I will play this course again. It is a straightforward course that can be played pretty quickly if you want to sneak in an after work or morning round. Very clean, nice layout, very playable.

Fun and Nice

1    10/15/2013   10/16/2013
Review By: JMcCon
Pros: -Easy to follow and beautiful park with the course off to its self.
-Variety of holes
-Good for all different skill levels
-Like how it loops around

Cons: -Only bad thing is the hike to the first tee/course area. Luckily i knew from the other reviews where to look for it at.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to check out. I was in the area for the day and it made a fun little game never being there before. I will go back when near by. I suggest you go as well if you are in town.

This is my go-to course!

5+    3/18/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: amlenke
Pros: Well established course that hosts a local club that keeps the place on the up and up as well as returns lost discs. Hosts many events and there is almost always someone friendly and often challenging to play with whether you know them or not. Many of the phenominal area players make this their home course. This course has a great layout with two loops of 9 for quick 9 hole games or full 18. 1 and 9 are right next to each other for easy start and finish short loops. The design is easy to follow and they have nice concrete pads throughout. There are also multiple basket placements that are only moved for tourney play.
Cons: The baskets are never moved unless there are tournaments. Two of the concrete pads should be redone; hole number 5 pad slopes down while throwing up hill and hole number 16 slopes up while throwing over a slight rise (I have busted my butt on both when the concrete was wet on more than one occasion though I now know how to compansate for it).
On a windy day, this course is down right brutal and the ravine to the left of hole 11 has eaten a good number of my discs over the years (usually to be replaced with others found in the same spot, and yes I always call if there is a number on it)
Other Thoughts: All and all my favorite and I guess I would consider this my home course. Playing the full 18 is like a warm up on the first 9, with the second 9 being more technical. This course will challenge right handed players as it does have a large amount of right handed doglegs that appeal to lefties. Great course for teaching someone to play, not as long or as confusing as other longer more wooded courses. Make sure you write your name and number on your discs if you play here as you have a pretty good chance of someone calling you if they found it. Also make sure you join our club in the links if you play there a lot for additional challenges and fun.

One of my favorite courses

5+    5/17/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 3/19/2013
Pros: This is still one of my favorite course that I've played on so far. I first learned how to play disc golf on this course and after playing 20+ more courses afterwards, it remains one of my favorites. Great course for beginners to learn on, but still challenging for more advanced players
- Great tee signage and concrete tee pads
- beautiful beautiful course, with a great mix of open and wooded holes. some require distance, some require accuracy and finesse.
- very easily navigated, course flow makes alot of sense
- cool practice putting area
- secluded, you will never run into other park goers unless they're playing disc golf
Cons: - I really don't have any major complaints. The only thing this course lacks is elevation. I love throwing downhill and there is no such hole on this course.
- Its a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the first tee. I don't mind this as much because this is what allows the course to be secluded from other park goers. However I'm mentioning it as some people will view this as a con.
Other Thoughts: Overall one of my favorites if not my top favorite course played. Besides not having a "top of the world" type of hole to throw downhill, I have no major complaints about this course and I miss it alot now that I'm back in California. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. Locals are extremely friendly (as are most DG'ers in general).

Play it more than once

2-4    7/7/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: zubeala
Pros: Good signage, though "Next Tee" directions would be helpful.
Excellent concrete t pads...nice and long. Nice mix of open and wooded. The woods are not so dense as to lose discs even in July. Has not been crowded when we have played. Very generous par ratings...I liked it.
Cons: May be a few more dog leg rights than most, but I didn't find it annoying.
Other Thoughts: First time I played this I was not overly impressed (February), but the 2nd time I really enjoyed it. I think the foliage on the trees made the holes more interesting and a bit more technical. I can't wait to go back.

Doglegs and Angles and Ivy. Oh my.

5+    7/24/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: ibekent
This review was updated on 4/16/2012
Pros: This course sits on its own land apart from the baseball and soccer fields. It is a mix of fairly long open shots (after the first one) and wooded shots which require a moment's thought. The tees are mostly large, concrete trapezoids most of which are cleverly placed or angled to make the shots a little bit tricky. It has some risk reward decisions, good pin placements, and decent variety of shots.

The course is well kept. Benches and trash cans are available. Tee signs are excellent. The course has no directional signs, but they aren't really needed. Just follow the trail. The course has decent flow, but also has some awkward walks and backtracking. It's almost two loops of nine; (tees 1 and 9 are next to one another). And it has the perfect amount of traffic. It's well used and stays beat in, but is not beat up and worn out. There are always folks to play, but I've never had to wait or play through.

In general, it's not an overly challenging course, but is challenging enough and very enjoyable. If you enjoy the calm of the woods, you'll really like this course.
Cons: I can think of only two things that everyone will call a con: 1. I don't think I've ever seen so much poison ivy in one place. 2. It's a fair walk from the parking lot to the first tee.

Other thing which some might call cons: The course significantly favors players with RHFH flicks. The longest hole is 440 feet. Some of the wooded shots are lined with significant schule. The first two shots are relatively uninteresting. Water and restrooms are available, but not nearby.
Other Thoughts: When you park, just start walking back across the soccer fields toward the woods. You'll see a small kiosk back there which is next to the first tee.

Solid

5+    6/25/2009   3/30/2011
Review By: tehrain
Pros: As far as city park courses go, this one is pretty solid. It's fairly large and well spread out with some good variety. Not overly crowded but on sunny weekends you might get slowed down a bit if you're quick.

A bundle of possible aces!

1    11/11/2010   11/11/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Course plays over a nice park that is open and conducive to disc golf but doesn't seem like there would be too many run-ins with non disc golfers.

- This course is pretty old school in regard to being broken-in (well identified paths from hole to hole, benches, and groomed trees and foliage). Hole lengths are pretty short as well and pars follow standards from the 1970s-80s. Nevertheless, there are elevation changes and doglegs that make it interesting. A few blind shots, while short in length, require concentration and "scouting" to ensure accuracy and par.

- Front nine are sort of like a warm-up (in terms of hole lengths and placement of baskets), while the back nine require a little more skill and finesse.

- An unusual number of right-turning doglegs that favor lefties and require anhyzer releases.

- Lots of benches for seating between holes in case the course can get crowded. Baskets and teepads are in pretty good condition, too.

- Practice basket and ample parking.

- Scenic views and a nice park landscape with nice locals.
Cons: - There are plenty of chances for aces, and course patrons have expressed few reservations about making that known. Numerous signs are covered in sharpie, denoting people's aces (a huge peeve of mine), and some signs are really graffitied. Aside from sign vandalism, the course is maintained pretty well.

- Hole #8 is really the only hole that has any decent length to it. While I'm not the type that likes to see every hole turned into a marathon, a few more chances to air out some drivers would be fantastic.

- As I already mentioned, hole lengths are pretty short and despite many holes being in the woods, a true technical challenge is limited, as few holes (with the exception of 13) use the dense tree placement to make it interesting. The pars are definitely out of date, too; play most of them as threes if you're more than a recreational player.
Other Thoughts: - Back nine has more challenge and variety in shot selection than the front nine and is therefore more enjoyable. If I had to rate the first nine compared to the last nine, I would give them a 3.0 and 3.5, respectively.

- While the course isn't particularly difficult, that's what I enjoy about it. It's a nice relaxing set of 18 holes and a great place to take a newbie without frustrating him/her. It's a nice scenic walk between holes too and that adds to the allure of the course. By no means am I a great player, but there were a couple of instances where I nearly saw flashes of my first ace go before my eyes. I can see why there are so many of them here; I just wish people found different ways to celebrate their aces!

< Prev 1 2 3