Munfordville, KY
Thelma Stovall Park Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #7 (Taken 9/2017)

I65 Leg Stretcher

1    9/9/2017   11/29/2017
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (1.319 Rating) A mostly open layout with a couple of well used obstacles.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Around average, but for courses I've rated this low its above average. The obvious element that drives the beauty for this course is the beautiful bridge that splits the layout high above. What a wonderful element to work around and its presence was thankfully used in the layout. In addition, the overall park setting is relaxing and appears to be well kept up. The residents of Munfordville should be proud to have such a great park, as most towns this size have nothing close to this appealing.
- RECREATIONAL FRIENDLY - The course is a mostly open layout with generally shorter holes. Only hole (8) is over 400 feet in length and it's listed as a par 4. There are no water hazards or significant disc loss opportunities. There are also a few forgiving obstacles to work around, such as the massive concrete supports for the bridge above.
- ACEABILITY - Seven shots under 250 feet, You are probably 5 times more likely to ace here, than at a normal course. I'm sure the locals are racking them up.
- QUICK PLAY - I had this one wrapped up in 25 minutes and I photographed all the tee shots. Thelma Stovall is the perfect little I65 pit-stop bagger course. It's located only a 5 minute drive from the interstate.
- NAVIGATION - Despite no course map, the course isn't that hard to traverse. I spent no more than 2 minutes during the round doing recon. I posted a map of my findings to DGCR.
- CHAINS - DISCatchers that catch real nice. Although, it would have been nice for the chains to reach out and grab a couple of my short airballs.
Cons: Lacking in a lot of key areas like many small city park 9s.
- UNIQUENESS - Even among 9 hole courses, I found Thelma Stovall to be a touch below average in variety. As stated above, a mostly open layout with a spattering of trees. Baskets are lightly guarded and do not twist or turn at all. Other than (8), advanced players won't need anything more than a putter and they should probably play the course all 3s. No water in play to add some exhilaration or to force lines. The Green River which lies adjacent to the course is probably too large and swift of a current and was wisely omitted in the design.
- ELEVATION - Driving down into the park, I initially expected that the course would have some 30 to 40 footers. I couldn't have been more wrong. The course plays in the flood plain of the river. Only one hole, (7), approaches anything close to the 10 foot change mark. I'm not sure where the park boundaries are, but it seems like there may have been some opportunities to place a basket or tee in the adjacent sloping valley.
- WALKING PATHS - The course is almost entirely encompassed by a well traversed asphalt pathway. I had to stop numerous times during my short round to wait for walkers and joggers. This type of inconvenience only makes a minimal impact on my score. Please be sure to always wait for people to clear. I'd hate to lose any course due to one bad decision.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - Nothing here is going to intimidate a skilled player. I'm an intermediate level player and I shot 5 down playing the course all 3s, and I missed a couple of 25 footers. Other than for rec players, the course should be played all 3s as the 420 foot, hole (8), is still going to be deuceable to many higher skilled players. Shot shaping is limited, although thankfully it's not just nine open field shots. Advanced players will not be tested by the layout and unless they enjoy ace runs, they will likely consider the course a bore fest.
- CHARACTER - Other than nice baskets and simple hole signage, the other creature comfort items and amenities are absent. There is no tee seating, little tee shading, no course map and no community board. There aren't any multi tees, multi baskets placements or practice baskets. There is a shelter with picnic tables and a restroom building with drinking fountain.
- TEES - Natural but not pitting yet. It's only a matter of time.
- SPACING - There is one crossing fairway combination (2) and (3). Basket (3) is in the fairway of hole (8) and a couple of tees are really close to the prior basket. The closeness of the layout if far from ideal and will limit the amount of groups that can safely play at one time.
Other Thoughts: Thelma Stovall is recreational and bagger course for sure. I wasn't expecting much other than a quick pit stop leg stretcher course and it definitely delivered that. Oddly, I could see myself stopping by hear again as on some trips my family comes with and this park offers an adequate playground, has restrooms and it's a nice looking park. Advanced players whom are just looking for the newest exotic challenge should not consider this course. However, recreation players looking for a laid back round with a couple friends may very much enjoy this layout.