Wake Forest, NC
Southeastern DGC Share
Uploaded By: KenanFlagler01 Hole #8 (Taken 12/2015)

Too bad the public can't play it.

1    2/29/2016   2/29/2016
Review By: Techimike
Other Thoughts: I have taken some time to think about what I wanted to say about this course. As a local very involved disc golf player living in Wake Forest it was amazing to find out about a nice 9 hole course in our great town. Then to find out it was only for Seminary employees and friends and family. I called anyhow as I didn't want to just play without permission and was first told it was no problem and to stop by and fill out a waiver. Perfect. I was out of town so it was going to have to be a week later. I then called back when I was back in town and talked to someone different who told me under no circumstances would that be allowed and that insurance wouldn't allow it. It is unfortunate as a waiver would clear that (we use them in our league every week) and I'm also not sure how it would cover friends of people related to the Seminary. I even went as far as offering money to the course, my time in maintaining the course (work days etc.) but none of that was considered. Each time I pass by it reminds me of what is most likely a great practice course so close by that I won't be able to play unless I have someone from there with me. Sometimes you just want to go and get a quick solo round in to practice shots you have been working on.

Best family course in the Triangle

5+    12/13/2015   12/13/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
This review was updated on 12/29/2016
Pros: UPDATED: they're doing a much, much better job of maintaining the course now. The grass is cut, the rough isn't bad. I'm upgrading my rating to its original 2.5. This is a very good 9-hole course.

+ Good concrete tee pads, signage, and new baskets.

+ It's a good course for ripping drives. It's open and has good elevation.

+ There's a good variety of uphill shots, downhills, hyzers, anhyzers, and straight shots. #5 is one where you have to hit a narrow gap. It's a challenging course.

+ Very nice looking, ball golf style course. (There's actually a ball golf course adjacent to the DG course.)

+ Hole 7 is a legitimate par 4. Very long, difficult, and unique. It plays downhill off the tee, then uphill for the approach shot.
Cons: - On busy days, this course has bad traffic jam / safety issues. Holes 3 and 9 have crossing fairways. They aren't a "+" shaped cross, but an "x" shape. Instead of discs passing each other while flying to distant landing areas, the baskets are really interchangeable with the tee pads. The tees are close together and the baskets are close together. You essentially have nearly identical holes (3 is just longer). Also, they're both uphill holes, 3 at 348 feet and 9 at 271 feet, both playing longer than that. What ends up happening is that players throwing off each tee land right smack dab in each other's way. Advanced players can carry the basket area, but most people playing this course will land well short on one if not both holes. If you're not paying attention, players throwing upshots from the fairway will be directly in the line of fire from the opposite tee pad. This criss-cross will cause back-ups. It's possible the course designer didn't think these crossing fairways would matter that much due to low traffic, but I think this course will attract a lot of students and SEBTS employees, plus families. This was my main gripe I had with the course.

- After you finish at #9, you have to walk down the path and cross the #1 fairway. Again, another safety and traffic issue.
Other Thoughts: On a light traffic day, this is a fun little course and great for working on your drives. Check it out.

Finally, a course north of Raleigh

5+    10/31/2015   10/31/2015
Review By: lenfantsuave
Pros: I'll start by saying that this course is quite literally in my back yard. I'll try not to let the convenience of the location color my review too much. That said, if you live north of Raleigh and outside of 540, finding a convenient place to play can be a tough task. Sure, there is Cedar Hills, which offers some of the best holes in the triangle area. However, unless it's on your way home, good luck summoning the will to consistently fight through the evening rush to play/practice.

Enter this brand new nine hole course on Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. The course is set on a gently rolling tract of land between the campus and the nine hole golf course (also owned by the seminary). Each hole is marked with a detailed sign including distance, par, and a cursory map. The tees are now filled in with concrete, which is a huge improvement over what I suspect the original plan was (some sort of sand mixture and large gravel).

Now to the holes. Given that the course plays over mostly open rolling hills, I'm somewhat impressed with how the designers have made good use of the bordering treelines to create natural fairways. Outside of the tunnel through a grove on hole #5 and a shot through two staggered outcrops of trees on #8 you won't find a lot of tight control shots on the course (actually, #2 does feature a wide hole right off the tee). What the course excels on is letting you take a series of forgiving, but enjoyable drives in the 200'-300' range. The most challenging hole, #7, whose sign measures it at 500', is a mostly wide open shot which forces you to control your drive and shoot it through a gap between two groves around the half way mark. It's a fairly basic shot, but the gap falls at a range where most casual players likely top out at combining distance and accuracy. The next hole, which is my personal favorite, is an upshot that again requires a gap shot to get around a cluster of trees to the left that hides the basket.

This all unfolds over roughly 10 acres of beautiful rolling grassland. And since it's about 2 minutes off of route 1 it is extremely accessible.
Cons: As I mentioned earlier, most of the course is wide open. This really limits the diversity of holes you'll find. If you want to really test your accuracy over long distance you'll be left a little wanting. There aren't really that many landmarks out in the open either, so gauging your distance on the more open shots can be a little tricky.

The real con here is the condition of the rough on the middle holes. It's been cleared out a little since the course first became operational, but the cluster of trees backing up hole 5 is a beast. And that's not even mentioning the bramble which you have to work through if you don't nail your shot through the tunnel. These aren't dealbreakers by any means, though, as you'll have to really lose track of your shot to lose a disc here.
Other Thoughts: As nine hole courses go, you couldn't really ask for much more. The course will give you an enjoyable hour of easy to moderate open holes over gently sloping hills to go with excellent signage and hardware. Care and effort have been put into designing the holes, especially given the limitations of having almost no brush or features on the fairways themselves. Is it a destination course? No, but I don't feel like that should be the expectation. What it is, though, is the only set of chains north of Cedar Hills. And it's a darn good set of them.