Deforest, WI
Vallarta-Ast DGC Share
Uploaded By: illyB420 Hole #4 (Taken 7/2013)
Hole #4 Blue Basket to Tee

First time, played the longs

1    8/18/2017   8/19/2017
Review By: JoeDirt
Pros: Multiple tee pads, good use of land, well designed, easy to follow layout, well manicured. My first course that I played in Wisconsin. First thought that comes to mind is the beautiful use of boulders. Some of the greens I would call signature greens. Good mixture of left/right shots. Mostly long shots but I played all the long pads. Has bathrooms available close to halfway through the course. Also has up to 27 holes and a big parking lot.
Cons: Lack of elevation. At $8 seems overpriced in comparison to the local courses that I played the next day for $5. Could use some next tee arrow signs in some places.
Other Thoughts: Rewards smart play which is a bonus to me. The rough can be very punishing in some places. I think this is a very well balanced course. I didn't play the shorts but seemed like an extreme difference between playing the shorts and longs. If I was to only play one round here, the perfect layout would be a mixture of shorts and longs. Most of the shorts looked really short and the longs were really long. It could use more shots that are more inbetween. Didn't throw many mid ranges from the long pads and I throw a midrange close to 350' for point of reference.

Fun for out of towner

1    5/1/2017   5/1/2017
Review By: shawshank
Pros: I was in town for a funeral and needed a pick me up. This course provided that for me! I played short pins and used my fairway driver for most of the drives. The long pins didn't seem more challenging, just required a longer throw. The course is well manicured and was easy to navigate.

My favorite hole was the island hole, but it was just an easy putter hyzer for birdie.

There was also a nice mix of sidearm and backhand throws. There really isn't any risk of losing your disc unless you really shank your throw.

I was the only one on the course which was nice also.
Cons: I played in the spring so the ground was wet, though it wasn't horrible. Not really the fault of the course, just bring an extra towel and good shoes.
Other Thoughts: If you're in town and want a straight forward course to boost your confidence, play here!!

Great course

2-4    7/7/2015   7/23/2015
Review By: Onethirty1
Pros: Great course. Mostly open with a few wooded holes. Perfectly maintained course. The island hole on the extra 9 is a blast to play.
Cons: At 8 dollars a round, the course is slightly pricey, but worth it none the less.

Great overall course

5+    6/27/2015   6/29/2015
Review By: RJStrasser
Pros: Appeals to all skills levels with two sets of teepads and three different hole locations on each hole. Plenty of holes are very open and forgiving, and the holes that utilize the trees don't have too many in the fairways. Garbage cans at every hole and a bench every few holes. Overall a very clean and deliberate course with no other park entities coming into play.
Cons: There aren't many negative things you can say about this course. A lot of the holes are pretty open, so some may say that it's a little boring, but I think the overall appearance and challenge of the course is solid. Also, the last 9 holes (19-27) are a little longer than the rest of the course, especially if you play the pro tees.
Other Thoughts: I'm happy to pay to play at the two county courses near Madison. These courses offer more solitude and a clean, spacious feel compared to the city courses.

Worth the money

5+    7/5/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: Additional 9 holes this year making it 27 now. Probably because of the cost, it's not full of high schoolers smoking weed. You can actually play with out having to wait behind people.
Cons: Some holes are a bit easy, but just move back to the pro tee and it'll add a little more difficulty. Some have extremely tall weeds to lose a disc in on the sides of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Some courses, 18 just isn't enough. The $8 you're supposed to pay is worth it here for 27 well maintained holes.

Grip N' Rip

1    5/30/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: ToneRay
Pros: - Lots of opp's to get out your drivers
- Well-maintained
- Great signage
Cons: - $8 to play, but more understandable once I saw that every hole was mowed, and all else maintained like new
Other Thoughts: Special thanks to Dan, Brad, and "Sticks" for guiding my inaugural round here. Very enjoyable and informative.

Very nice except price.

2-4    10/4/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: 27 holes! The more holes on a course the better in my opinion.Two sets of huge, flared concrete tee pads on all holes. Benches and trash cans on all holes. Navigation was only a problem between 5 and 6. Just required a little extra walking but a sign would be helpful here. Very nice Mach 5 baskets. I'm a fan of the Mach baskets and these catch very well here. There are 3 sets of pin locations on all the holes as well which I don't understand why more courses don't do. Restrooms Available right next to hole 2 I believe it was. Camping on site in what appeared to be a good sized well maintained multi use park. Very large tee signs with hole #, a basic hole layout and distances and locations for all possible pin placements. The park was extremely well maintained and mowed which it should be for the price. The first 18 original holes are more fun than the newer 9. Theres more woods involved on them making it more challenging. I could see losing a disc as a possibility here but its hard for me to say since I went in October. The "island hole" on 22 is a cool idea for making a water hazard like challenge on a course with no water. The wind was a huge factor when I went, especially the last 9. Very easy to find the course, just minutes off I-94. I wouldn't think this would ever be TOO busy, there was one other car when we went at first and 3 when we left. I'd recommend giving this one a shot, I had a real nice time here.
Cons: $8 a day is very high. Highbridge is the only other that I've played thats more but that has 6 18 hole courses on site. Not the most peaceful course in that its just off of I-94 so theres the constant sound of traffic. So I personally wouldn't recommend camping here because of this. Also there must be an airport nearby as there were planes and helicopters flying all over too. The last nine newer holes were all mostly open and bland except 22's "island hole". Other than that not much. Really solid course, just not Phenomenal.
Other Thoughts: All in all i had a real fun couple rounds here. You can tell that at least your $8 is going towards the course. Elver and Hiestand in Madison are very close by as well. I've never played them but they are supposed to be outstanding courses . I have played Bird's Ruins in Marshall and would recommend that one and its only about 20 minutes east. That would make for a good day of discin'.

Manicured!

5+    8/6/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: The land is rather flat with a mix of open, to scattered trees, to tunnels. The turf is regulary mowed. There is a very nice kiosk near hole #1.

Huge concrete tee pads. 2 per hole. Shorts/Longs. Some benches.

Multiple pin positions. 3 per hole.

Between the 2 tee pads and 3 pin positions there is a ton of variety on the course. You'll throw pretty much every shot on this course if you play both sets of tees. Even with these it's easy to navigate.

The tee signs are very nice! They still look brand new.

Awesome DGA Mach 5 baskets.

This is one of the most well kept courses that I have played.

The course has recently been expanded to 27 holes. The more golf the better!
Cons: I don't mind pay to play but if you are only playing 1 round for $8.00 it's rather expensive.

This course is very flat and rather open in places. It lacks that extra elevation or water to get the next half disc bump in rating from me.
Other Thoughts: The course has recently been expanded to 27 holes.

This is my personal taste. I actually think Heistand & Elver are both considerably better courses than Token due to the type of land. If they were maintained as much as this course the reviews would reflect it. I love going to Madison. I usually hit all 3 in one day.

Country club of madison DG

5+    5/6/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: briggsbeer
Pros: This course is really taken care of well. The trash is removed very often. The grass is mowed regularly and is beautiful. You can drink on the course, glass is allowed. There are multiple pin locations and they are changed often. The different pin locations really change how u will throw on several holes. There are lots of woods but you aren't playing through tunnels.
Cons: There are little to no elevation changes, mostly flat. There can be considerable air tarffic overhead. You can really hear the highway on the first seveal holes.

Great Mad City course

5+    12/10/2009   12/10/2009
Review By: goalkeeper19
Pros: BEAUTIFULLY maintained. The course is right off the highway, and very easy to get to. Two sets of great concrete teepads and multiple pin positions add a lot of variety in the length, layout, and challenge. Lots of different lines through manicured fairways. Holes average between 250-550' or so, and in the longest layout, is definitely a play-for-par type of course.

Playing here definitely feels more like a ball-golf round, due to the overall groomed feel, and beautiful landscaping.

The layout is very easy to follow, and offers good deuce opportunities, and rewarding par holes (#5 is the standout). The rough is pretty light, but the woods will definitely take away an easy shot if you stray out of the fairway.

Pay-to-play. This is the direction our sport should go in, and when the money goes towards keeping the course in this condition, it's well worth the price.
Cons: Mostly open, with very little elevation change. Some of the holes are similar at the 260-300' range. The course could use a few more good par 4 holes or doglegs.
Watch out for bugs in the summer, and bring some Off.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth checking out, and worth paying for! There are park people walking the course backwards on most days to check for the payment, to keep people honest!