New Berlin, WI

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Grand Master Rec Course

1    8/25/2018   10/12/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (2.495 Rating) An easy going shorter course packed with ace potential.
- ACEABILITY - My gosh, I'd be willing to bet that if there's a decent sized league here, that the chains are likely run up at almost every gathering. Numerous sub 200 footers shouting "putter run me". I envisioned chains being smashed on 2 or 3 throws of mine during the round only to ping a tree late just adjacent to the basket. Tree Ace! I have a lot of those.... I'd think the average Joe is throwing in multiple aces a year here. 10 year skilled locals are probably approaching 50 aces.
- FUN FACTOR - This is a total free good course and it is probably producing disc golf addicts in droves. It very much reminds me of my first home course in Austin which is also a sub 4000 foot 18 holer. Short holes, moderate technique and lots players throwing sub 45 rounds. This is the ultimate easy going recreational course.
- RAW BEAUTY - This course is really charming in sections. Starting on hole (4) the course dives into a heavily wooded technical portion. The stretch from hole (8) to (10) was by far the best. (10) is just absolutely siren.
- CHAINS - I missed the upgrade to MachVs by a week. I knew something was up when I started noticing newly dug pin placements adjacent to current basket locations. Despite me playing on the older MachIIIs, I still gave the course credit for upgrading the baskets.
- QUICK PLAY - Just over 45 minutes in playing time for my break of dawn raid. I'd be willing to bet that this course gets quite busy during ideal times, so be cognizant of a few extra waits during those times.

Cons: Too easy for a segment of the disc golf community.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - This is a total feel good course. Anyone looking to test their skills or that enjoys an intense challenge won't be satisfied in their round here. There are far too many throw away holes where it's a 150 foot deuce or die play. I truly wish this course had more holes like hole (10) or (11). I think I played a touch better than normal on my round here, but I still think that throwing eleven down as Intermediate level player is an indication of not being tested.
- OVERGROWTH - There is some very thick overgrowth on a few holes. The worst stretches were between Holes (2) and (6) and then also (12) thru (15). I was able to avoid it for the most part, but I still had to do some moderate searches on the fringes a couple times. I could see newer players doing a lot of search and recovery.
- NAVIGATION - Pretty bad on my visit. Much of the tee signage was unreadable. The course map was drawn by hand and is far too diagrammatic. I noticed very few directional cues between holes. There was a tapped spoke on basket (7) if I recall correctly, but I don't remember another occurrence. Be sure and have a printed course map or one downloaded to a phone, this is not an easy follow. Perhaps this is also being updated.
- TEES - The tees are a touch sub-par. The tee surfaces are concrete being either 4 by 8 or 4 by 10. I felt cramped on several holes.
- UNIQUENESS - The variety here is less than to be desired. Far too many holes are open lines or simple movement holes. No par 4s and the longest holes are not much over 300 feet. Water is pretty much a non-factor and elevation only plays a significant role on a handful of holes. I enjoyed the slight twisting of a few holes in the middle but again, way too much simplicity for my preference.
- VANDELISM - I saw some tagging on garbage can and signs among other things. It doesn't seem like a bad area of town so I suppose this is the work of a few misinformed wannabes. I'm sure most locals are disgusted by the idiocy of a few.

Other Thoughts: Staring down hole (1) I knew this was going to be a fun round and it delivered. Had I been new to the game and living in the Milwaukee area, this would have been my course for the first couple of years. Perfect for players with less than two years' experience or for those who just want to have a good time with a group of friends. The course however, is not an exotic destination like a few other courses in the region. It's not for the player that can bomb-it 500 feet or the one who can shoot several under a Dretzka from the back tees. It's for the regular guy who can only play once or twice a week... and he'll love it.
- WINTER HOLES - After (12) I went to the right into the woods and found a couple temporary holes without baskets. I contacted DGCR legend Harror1012 and asked what this was for, and he told me that these are winter holes to avoid the kids sledding near a few holes. For real!?! Please add these permanently and sacrifice a couple of the bland featureless shots. Fully wooded tunnel shots with eye appeal and elevation movements... I'll take more of that!
- CHARACTER - Some good stuff, but also some lacking aspects. As has been noted about, the baskets are new, The tees are slightly sub-par and navigation has seen better days. In addition to these noted items, on the good side there are numerous alternate basket placements and there is a bunch of tee seating, garbage cans and tee shading. As for missing items, I didn't see a practice basket, multi-tees or a finishing shelter with picnic tables.

What? Where?

- Great Use of Elevation
- Good Parking
- Close to Waukesha and Milwaukee
- Free to Play
- Holes are tough but fair
Cons: - Confusing Layout
- Lack of Next Tee signs
- Heavily Vandalized Tee Signs
- Some baskets sunk into the ground
- Easy to get lost in the forest
Other Thoughts: This course was fun to play and pretty short overall. The things that would make this course a decent 3/5 at least are "next tee this way" signs and fresh tee signs that either aren't completely vandalized or non existent.

Update 1: I realized after writing this that the holes in between 12 and 13 at the moment are replacements for 1, 2, and 15. These will be reverted back soon. I'm dumb. I have upgraded the score from its original 2.0 to 2.5 because of this.

Nice Course

5+    12/30/2017   1/5/2018
Review By: capskorner
Pros: Nice mix of wide open and wooded holes
Winter pins are fun adding more wooded shots
Hole distance variety is nice
Hard to lose a disc except for hole #14 on the right side.
various elevations make for fun challenges.
Cons: Winter holes are hard to navigate unless you know where they are.
Hole #14 right side can be swampy at times and is very heavily wooded - easy to lose discs here
Tee boxes seem short
Other Thoughts: Overall this has always been a fun course to play. Nice mixture of challenges always make it interesting.

When I played on 12.30 I didn't notice hole #18 basket being broke anymore...I think they fixed it.

Decent course

5+    9/4/2017   9/5/2017
Review By: Dire Wolfy
This review was updated on 6/15/2018
Pros: This course is very beginner friendly and has a lot of fun, ace run type holes, when the course is clean it tends to be very fun to play.
Most people are nice and usually don't complain at the pace you're moving at, if they are in a rush usually they just nicely ask to play through.
Cons: The type of people that come here since it is a free course, they can range from extremely stoned to extremely slow. Just yesterday I was playing in a big group and offered for the people behind us to play threw, they said we were moving decently and they didnt want to, then about 5 minutes later a group of stoners came walking by and said "there is multiple groups behind you ladies" and proceeded to block me while I was on the tee and they walked on the fairway. This is something you could expect to see from a free course like this.

The trash: There are trashcans on almost every hole, but people just litter alot, trash can be found in the strangest of places when searching for your disc.
Other Thoughts: Usually in the mornings on the weekends this course isnt that busy, if you were to play earlier than 10:00 am would be more fun because less of a crowd.
Update 6/14/17: summer holes have been in place for a while, course is very over grown at the moment, watch where you throw.

1    7/27/2017   7/27/2017
Review By: danilau
Pros: Nice wooded course that was fairly easy. There was a decent variety of holes hooking left and right.
Cons: Pretty much all of the signs were full of graffiti and not able to be read. I did not know the pars for most holes so I guessed most were par 3 and a couple were par 4. Also it was a little difficult to find my way around without being able to tell which hole number I was on.
Other Thoughts: After hole 15 you will have to go up by the parking lot for 16. The course would be a lot better if the signs could be read. Otherwise it was a pretty enjoyable course to play.

Course Fills A Role Well

5+    11/5/2016   11/7/2016
Review By: Kegelexercise
This review was updated on 10/2/2017
Pros: 1) For as short of a course as this is, Valley View scores very well in the variety department - the course utilizes one large hill, and several smaller, rolling hills through the woods to create a diverse disc golf course. Valley View has uphill holes, downhill holes, and features many technical holes through the woods where you will need to be accurate hitting different lines. Accomplished players will have an easy time notching birdies, but you have to execute your shots, otherwise it's easy to wind up in trouble. Multiple pin locations on some (maybe all?) holes.

2)Tees - kind of a "accomplishes the basics" thing, but each hole has a concrete tee off spot (one hole tees off from a large section of pavement present for other park use). The tees could stand to be longer, but properly installed concrete tees beat dirt or rubber tees, every time.

3) A slight winter layout modification: the large hill I mentioned earlier is used for sledding during the winter, so the baskets using this hill are pulled, and reinstalled in the woods for three unique hole locations. It's a nice little tweak that adds to the replay value of the course during the winter months.
Cons: 1) Being a fairly easy course to play, Valley View is often very crowded, and heavily by the "stoner high school kid" types. They're usually friendly and amiable enough, but you'll come across obnoxious, inconsiderate groups of people more often here than on other courses.

2) Going off this same theme, the course could be better cared for. VV put out trash cans at most, if not every tee, which I don't remember being the case 5-10 years ago, but you'll still see trash in some places left by inconsiderate groups, and plenty of "graffiti"-ish crap on the tee signs (more on this)

3) Tee signs. They suck. Only a few holes even have present/readable tee signs - many have been destroyed and/or defaced so badly that they might as well not be there. Fortunately, the hole to hole flow on this course is good, and there aren't really any blind holes, otherwise, this would be a bigger deal.

4) EDIT - 10/2/17 - Baskets - Over the last year or so, the baskets have REALLY deteriorated. Many baskets sport chains that have come undone from their rings over the last year, some are mounted unevenly, and now, hole 18's basket had the welds break off and the "basket" part of the apparatus sits on the ground. I don't know if I just didn't notice it over the years, or if this past year saw a lot of long-time wear finally become noticeable, but these baskets need a lot of work. I am docking the course to 2.5 (was 3.0) for this reason alone.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Valley View presents a decent disc golf experience that fills a "shorter, technical course" niche in the local disc golf scene. There are definite improvements that could happen here - the signage is awful, the baskets need a lot of work or replacement, and this course would improve dramatically if this was done. It's my understanding that there are willing parties in the local DG scene ready to do the work to fix the course up, and could probably do so in short order, but the city of New Berlin is notoriously difficult to work with, and has stonewalled numerous efforts over the years to improve this course.

All that considered, I don't think I'd recommend Valley View as a "must play" for folks having to make long trips, but Valley View is a solid enough course that fills a role in the local scene, and is a good place to stop and shoot a round if you're in the area.

Short but incredibly fun

5+    5/4/2016   5/5/2016
Review By: mk.ultra
Pros: If you can throw 300', every hole is an ace run. Perfect course for ace pools. Beautiful wooded section.
Cons: I would love to see longer tee boxes and more switching of pin positions.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, and I've played it hundreds of times. It still keeps me coming back. The holes are short; every shot could be an ace run which keeps it very exciting. There is also a decent amount of variation as you get into the wooded portion of the course. Incredibly fun course, not sure how it's rated so poorly.

Short Course

1    6/24/2015   1/7/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
This review was updated on 1/18/2016
Pros: Ace runs!!!

The course begins oddly, with a downhill bomber hole which belies its true nature. The vast majority of the rest of the course is very short and highly technical (though most good players will get putters close for deuce). A lefty will have trouble with #7, while a righty will love the longer ace run ( found it lefty friendly overall). I love the overhanging willow to protect the 13th green.

Cons: It's a great beginner course, but the tees and some signs are showing signs of wear. 12, 14 and the open holes near the end aren't as interesting as the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: It's fun and challenging, and you can hit a lot of trees and fail to score, or you can be on your game and drop scores like McBeast!

Ace runs!!!

Decent Course

5+    11/11/2015   11/11/2015
Review By: SharkRock135
Pros: -multiple pin placements
-good amount of wooded and open holes
-fairly easy course for beginner and intermediate players
Cons: -some garbage and piles of dirt by some holes
-most tee signs are gone or unable to read
Other Thoughts: Good free course in the Milwaukee area for someone just starting to play or is getting better. Some holes are a little too easy. I got an EAGLE on the 1st hole because it was a 320 ft par 4.

1st time at Valley View

1    7/11/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: knivile1
Pros: -Multiple pin placements
-Short, but technical shots required through the trees on most holes
-Good for beginners and intermediate players
-Benches and trash cans everywhere
-Good community of local players(from what I observed)
-Mulch lined fairways, easy to navigate
-Stroller friendly for my little caddie
Cons: -Some trash not picked up when their is a can only feet away, though on more than one occasion myself and the other golfers out on Saturday were picking up after other people
-Graffiti on tee signs(made a lot of them unreadable) and benches
-Amount of traffic on a good day could be a problem for some, but for as busy as it was when I was there, there was a good sense of etiquette from all others that I encountered out on the course
-Cannot always make out the basket from the foliage around it from the tee (see other thoughts)
Other Thoughts: Moved to the greater Milwaukee area in February and have been slowly expanding my knowledge of the local courses and getting out to play them.

I have been limiting my play around here to the courses that are still free (not Milwaukee county) but that is just my preference for now. I do hope to play Brown Deer and Dretzka before the summer ends.

First trip to Valley View this past Saturday was definitely fun and I can definitely see a return visit in the future.

My son has been accompanying me to most of rounds lately so that I can get him outside and he can see and experience nature at a young age. He is not old enough to walk yet, so he stays in his stroller unless I need to feed/change him and Valley View was extremely stroller friendly. The amount of benches and trash cans also aided me greatly when it did come time to take a break and change his diaper or feed him from his bottle. Not too much elevation that I was worried about the parking brake not working and just enough to add to the layout of the course.

I carry a backpack style bag after receiving one for a birthday gift from my family this year but I could easily have just thrown 4 discs (putting putter, driving putter, mid-range and fairway driver) into the storage of the bottom of the stroller and had all the discs I needed for the day.

There was a good mix of left to right and right to left shots and the trees made it deceptively hard at first glance. I think the biggest two improvements that could be made to the course is new signage and either flags or powder-coating of the baskets to allows for better recognition from the tee.

I may have gotten a bit spoiled during my last round of golf before coming here; having played the private Bonnie Brook DGC in Detroit over Independence Day weekend. All of their baskets are powder-coated safety green and orange and are unmistakable from the tee and I think that that could help out Valley View quite a bit as I had some difficulty making out where the basket was located.

Overall, great little course that made for a very enjoyable round.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5