Hendersonville, NC
Jackson Park Share
Uploaded By: ryno Hole #4 (Taken 12/2015)

Soild course

5+    9/22/2017   9/28/2017
Review By: Geodisc25
Pros: To start. the course has two tee pads for and multiple basket positions for every hole. Regular and pro tee can suit your style. Multiple baskets give course locals even more variety.
I find this course to have such a fun variety of shots, the course starts with a downhill shot between two trees into an open field, hole two features water now and hole three is uphill. You enter the woods on hole four where you will find up and down hill shots, light to heavy tree placement, rights, lefts and laser straight approaches. The course returns to the open later on for two beautiful open shots that both require some skill.
I find this course challenging, not only with the holes but challenging to endurance, but not too much so that it takes from the fun
Cons: easy to loose discs, especially in the summer time, lots of growth, lots of thorns if you go OB. hole one has a tough OB to the left.
one hole has a walking/ bike path in the middle, a few in the woods have trails nearby, some my travel through.

lots of steep up hill.
Other Thoughts: love this park and love this course.

Bo Knows Disc Golf

1    7/22/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Jackson Park is one of the most solid all around courses I've played. Everything about it is done well and while there's nothing there that screams amazing, it just chugs along never taking a break.

For starters there are two pads on every hole (I think) and multiple pin positions on about half. So to really get to know this course you'd have to play it multiple times. I did try to check out every pad and pin position as I went through.

The long pads seemed to go back and forth between being a bit longer on the same line or being a bit longer and off to the left or right slightly changing your line. What I did like about the longs on some of the holes where the line was pretty much the same as the shorts was that the long pads usually brought in an early gap that wasn't a factor from the shorts which really heightened up the difficulty.

Jackson not only has a really good balance between open/park style golf and wooded holes (6 park style, 12 wooded) but it brings you out and sends you back in so that it keeps the round interesting and changing. The design also switches up hole distances and how tight each fairway is going through.

The selection of which trees to leave in fairways is done well, there's no late random trees on blind drives that annoy me in so many places. Some holes give you multiple routes and some force a certain line which is balanced well.

The terrain is pretty much all rolling hills, there's a couple flat holes but not many. The design uses the elevation changes well along with gaps to hit throughout the fairway to make you work the disc a bit while navigating the ups and downs.

The greens here are well thought out in placement, usually tucking the basket left or right a bit to add challenge. There's a few fast greens but it's not overly done like some courses on this type of terrain tend to do.

The par 4's are great; they give you the ability to really get down the fairway if you hit your line while also bending so that errant drives will be punished. They also allow you to get creative on your second shot depending on where you end up, instead of punishing you if you're not dead in the fairway.

A handful of the holes let you rip a driver but at the same time has elements that make you consider your line and where you're landing. There's some OB/nasty rough on pretty much all of the open holes to consider.

Equipment - Pads are concrete and big enough. Baskets are in good shape. There are temp looking tee signs on the short pads noting distance with a hole map. There's some strategic benches placed throughout. There's also next tee signs on pretty much every place where it's not obvious.

One thing this place got right was going in and putting down erosion controls and steps on the steep hills right from the get go. It gives the course a real professional look and let's you know a lot of time and planning went in to it.

Atmosphere - It's a multi-use park but you are pretty much in wooded areas that take you away from the rest of the park activities. It's a nice looking course overall and is really clean around the edges. You can tell they got all the brush and limbs out of there after putting the course in which again really adds to the professionally done feeling of the course.
Cons: Layout - My one real criticism of the layout is that there are never any holes that really make you work a disc left or right. Most of the wooded holes bend a bit left or right but never force a big hyzer or anny.

The one hole that sticks out to me as approaching filler status is hole 3. Now it is a big throw up a hill and the only hole of it's type on the course but it just seems a bit boring after the first two openish holes. I'd plant a large tree or some smaller evergreens off to the right of the fairway that not only separates holes 1 & 3 a bit more but keeps people throwing RHBH or LHFH from hyzering up there. Hole 2 just gave you a RHBH/LHFH hyzer so it's repetitive.

Holes 11, 14 and 16 do bring you near the walking path/road. On every hole visibility is not a concern but this could cause you to have to wait. 11 is the only one that could pose some safety concern imo.

The only other criticism I could see of Jackson is the lack of bite some holes have. If you're coming from CLT this course isn't as demanding or punishing if you get off schedule. Although note I have not played all the iterations and have not played all the long to longs.

Equipment - I don't know the deal with the tee signs but I'm guessing what's there now is temporary and something more permanent is on the way. I hope they eventually get signs at both pads because it does irk me having to walk up to the short pad then walk back to the long.

I also think some effort should be made to level off some of the pads more with the ground, that could be a safety issue.

Atmosphere - My biggest gripe here is that when they cut off some of the trees in fairways/walkways they left small nubs sticking out of the ground. My son tripped twice on one of these and once was going downhill so he tumbled a bit.

Some of the holes go near a creek/marsh type area and we got ate up by mosquitoes so bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Jackson is the type of course I'd love to have where I lived. It's varied and an all around really fun course that you can play a lot and not get bored or frustrated with. I think it's great for players of all skill levels so it's definitely a great addition to western NC. It doesn't have the eye catching valley holes and giant hills you'll find at Richmond Hill but overall I think it's a better course and more accessible to a larger demographic.

I'm Goin' to Jackson, I'm Gonna Mess Around

1    5/14/2017   5/15/2017
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Whew boy this is a gem of a course. Right off the bat this is a tremendously balanced course with technical woods, open fields and park-style mix of the former coming in fairly equal measure. The front nine is spectacular, starting with a terrific starter hole of a downhill bomb. Hole 2 seems really routine until you notice the pond just left of the basket. Holes 4-9 are superbly pleasant wooded holes with rolling elevation, very appropriately sized fairways and plenty of line shaping. The wooded holes are very Charlotte-esque which is always a good thing.

The back nine mixes it up as well, starting with hole 10 that is a solid, wooded hole reminiscent of the front 9. Then hole 11 gives you some relief from tight woods with a city park-style hole with open grass and a few ornamental trees to circumnavigate. Holes 12 and 13 give you more tricky woods to thread, then another interesting hole by some very marshy vegetation that you have to clear. This is a polarizing hole and it's not a really long carry but if you are paralyzed by the thought of losing a disc you may not enjoy hole 14. 15 is a nice wooded par 4 then hole 16 gives you another park hole with some old growth trees to avoid. Two more fairly wooded tunnel holes and you've ended a fun round.

This course has two sets of perfect concrete tees I believe on every hole which turbocharges the variety. To spice it up even more, many if not most holes have an alternate pin placement. I played it in the shorts which yielded plenty of fairly earned birdie opportunities but I wish they were in the longs because those holes looked like they had a little more bite to them.

The course looks like it is being well-maintained and I have to shout-out the nice preservation tactics I've noticed like the logs used to terrace hole 9 to retain soil and keep it from turning into a sloped mess. Great little hole by the way. This is also a really nice park with plenty of other stuff to do.
Cons: 15 comes a little too close to a playground for my liking. I don't love hole 11 playing over and near a popular sidewalk, same issue with hole 14 and you can easily hang a hyzer out and hit the park entrance road on hole 16.

Hole 3 is the only real ho-hum hole, just a wide open field bomb decently uphill.

Navigation is really easy after you figure out the hole's start, for now. I say for now b/c the "next tee" signs are laminated paper signs stuck to stakes that could easily get dicked with or blown away. These same signs make up the tee signs as well and clearly show an impermanence. So far so good though.

Minor quibble but the "long" tees don't really add much length as far as I noticed. They're more like alternate angle tees than long tees and the difficulty added doesn't seem substantial. This might also be just me but I seemed to throw a lot of the same discs repeatedly; I was doing work with my stable mid and putter. Maybe I was just on, maybe the fairways needed a bit more tweaking to induce other shots out of me, I'm not sure.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, truly. You could plop this down in Charlotte and it wouldn't miss a beat. It's more in the Scrapyard, Eastway, Reedy, Robbins tier of CLT courses but it can hang with the big boys too I think. The woods are really nice and pretty, the park is nice, there's great use of elevation change and terrain, etc. It doesn't quite have the length or space to get in that elite tier of courses but it's maxed out and perfectly entertaining as is.

5+    10/10/2016   1/10/2017
Review By: jdborden
Pros: Located in a nice big park

Recently added flags to top of baskets for easier pin location

Long tees have nice new pads

Lots of longer holes so you have a chance to use every disc in your bag but still a few short ones where you have a chance for an ace
Cons: Beginner tees have no pads yet and not always clearly marked

A couple holes are easy to get lost unless you've played it before

Other Thoughts: I play a little better each time I play here. Hard course for beginners, but once you get a feel for it, it's a pretty good course (my buddy from Michigan shot a +17 and says it's the worst course he's ever played because of the elevation changes... just be careful when shooting uphill at the basket because there's a chance you roll 200 feet downhill and behind a tree)

Solid course, but small changes will help!

1    12/26/2016   12/29/2016
Review By: alecfalzone
Pros: Great teepads, benches, and baskets on every hole. This is one of my biggest gripes on courses but Jackson has solid course hardware.

The location of the park is great, especially in a multi-use park like Jackson. The only issue I could foresee would be spill-over near the tennis courts on Hole 2.

Greens and fairways (for the most part) are well-defined and manicured. Exceptions in the Cons section.

Course flow again (for the most part) was pretty straight forward as I was a first-timer.

Variety of tee shots is definitely there. As a 50/50 FH/BH player I threw all shots. FH, BH, BH annys, FH annys, driver shots, putter shots, etc. Good variance of drives.
Cons: Signage, especially near Hole 1. With the massive size of Jackson Park, finding Hole 1 was pretty annoying. There were no directions or signs pointing where to find Hole 1. We ended up parking by the tennis courts and back tracking from Hole 3's teepad.

Hole 12 and Hole 14 are gimme holes with no real obstacles to navigate. I would recommend an elevated basket platform on Hole 14 and moving the basket on Hole 12.

Hole 12 and 16's fairways/greens are within 80' of each other with no obstacles between the two. There were some errant shots from Hole 12 that inhibited our play on Hole 16. These two holes could use a redesign.

Hole 15 needs some trees removed to make it a legitimate hole with a well-defined fairway. I was able to birdie this hole, but I am not sure how. There doesn't seem to be a defined line after the first 250' of the fairway. The green is great, and the early part of the fairway is great. After 250' however it turns into Plinko.

Hole 18 could also use a better defined opening to the green from the woods, it's much better than 15, but a few trees could go to make it a much better hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great course. It is new, so changes will come with time and I am optimistic for its future!

I found a disc on Hole 3 and called the owner who showed up with a beer for me. Much appreciated sir. This just goes to show that you should always call numbers on discs, good is always earned!

This was my first course in the Asheville area and would highly recommend it to anyone in the area. This is a great addition to western NC and will definitely be back to play it again!!

Great course if in the shorts

2-4    12/4/2016   12/6/2016
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Most if all hole have some kind of alt/long pin for a different look. Could be finish left in one layout and right on another.

Benches on every hole and well needed with all the up and down the hills.

Tee boxes are level and aproprite size for the hole. None of them felt like you had to start way off the tee pad to complete a throw.

Baskets are top notch disc catcher that are easy to see in the woods.

Open holes do add a element of challenge with uphill, down hill and ob.
Cons: Long pins have a feeling of being long just to make a long course. Fairways for them in the woods on a couple of holes just don't make sense.

I don't feel like this is a con because you should pack out but no trashcans.
Other Thoughts: I got the chance to play a couple of rounds for the Greatful Jay tournament and was plesnely surprised on the quality of the course and the attention to grounds. I would love to rate it higher then a 3, however the long pins on a few holes just didn't need to be put in. Example: of hole six if I remember. In the short you have a tree that leans over the fairway to guard a rh hyzer route to the basket. When the pin is in the long tree is not needed and is more of a nuisance and doesn't make a real line.
Couple of other holes are similar in nature and just left a odd feeling.

Don't let that hold you back from playing Jackson. I loved the short/original layout more. Even in a hybrid layout of the two I would still enjoy it. I did say to a couple of people that just a tree down here and there and this would be a 4.0 easy. Im not one for slashing and hacking but love a defined fairway even if its tight. I just not a big fan of a smaller tree that just doesn't fit the look and feel.

I will be back to tame the beast of a course Jackson park can be. Maybe next time Ill have a higher rating feeling.

Apple Jackson

1    7/3/2016   7/4/2016
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Jackson Park is a great, all-around course that offers plenty of fun and challenge. For someone who's been visiting Hendersonville for years, I was shocked to discover there was a great park so close to downtown.
- This was a great course throughout. There isn't one throwaway/filler hole throughout the round. What separates good courses from great ones is the lack of consistent quality. Jackson falls into the latter category.
- Great flow to the design. Course starts with a fun, stretch out the arm, 351-foot downhiller. Make sure the arm is loose by the time you get to #3 where you'll be throwing right back up that same hill. From here on, you're spending most of the remainder of the round in the woods.
- Course is challenging, but fair. I kept feeling like I was playing Hornets Nest (in Charlotte) with better elevation. With both courses, you're able to salvage a hole even after a bad tee shot. On multiple holes, I was able to salvage par when solid second shot made up for the poor tee shot.
- I loved the variety throughout. The course's second longest, and one of the most challenging holes, #8 at 489 feet, is followed up by the shortest, an uphill, 165-foot ace run shot. That's followed up the duo of #10: a split fairway, slight dogleg left; and #12: an open, 309-foot hole with several trees playing key obstacles. Even on shorter holes, you get the variety. #13 starts out very tight, opening up slightly the second half of the fairway. #14 is the easiest hole on the back 9 - a 250-foot open hole with swampy ground on the right side of the fairway. Oh so close to nailing an ace here!!
- Along those lines, I enjoyed the impact elevation had on this course. Not only did it directly impact holes by making them play longer or shorter, it also had a heightened risk of roll away shots. I had one 25-foot putt hit the basket and end up rolling 50 feet downhill. I also had an approach shot land just short of the basket and end up skipping & rolling another 75 feet past. It's an added level of strategy (and some good/bad luck) that players will have to account for.
Cons: Better signage is needed directing players from the parking lot to the first tee. I followed the online directions, and that led me to hole #4. It took me a bit to realize you have to walk past #4 to get to the first tee. I also ran into another first timer player who was driving around, looking for the course. Having signs pointing players to the parking lot, and then from the parking lot to hole #1 are no-brainers.
- Signage could have also been a little better in a couple spots where the course intersects with walking trails. For example, after #10, you walk down a goat path to a main trail that goes both left and right. Without a printed map, it'd be easy to go the wrong way (to the right) instead of the correct way to #11 (go left). You'll also see the same issue on a couple of the wooded hole transitions on the front 9.
- The course was missing one or two elite holes to really make it special. #8 is excellent as the course's toughest hole. I played two average shots (at best) on the longest hole - #15 at 495 feet - and still had a 35-foot putt for a birdie 3. Add to that, the closing hole seems like it's missing a little something, even if that something is simply 100 more feet. It's also shouldn't be a par 4; but, that's a separate issue.
- I didn't notice many benches or trash cans throughout the course. That said, the course was surprisingly clean. Maybe people are actually packing out their debris.
Other Thoughts: Jackson Park makes for a great round. For a relatively new course, it had a feel of an established course. I didn't notice many of the new course 'issues': no stumps in the fairways; no piles of branches just off the fairway; no fairways that look like they still need to be cleared out or mowed more often.
- Having a true signature hole would have been the cherry on top. Or is that an apple because we're in Hendersonville? That said, I'd rather see the locals keep the course as is, rather than start tinkering with it as is too often the case with overly eager club members.
- I enjoyed this course more than any others in the region. And that includes Richmond Hill in Asheville. In this area of western North Carolina - along the I-26 corridor - this is my new favorite course.
- This is a solid 4.0 in my book. I'd be excited if this were my local course. I'd get to test all parts of my game and enjoy some great scenery. Through in this being a great all-around park with lots of trails, and this is a positive for the community.

Jackson is Jammin'

1    3/30/2016   5/8/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Jackson Park has just enough variety of wooded holes, elevation changes, challenging throws, and fun shots to make it a very enjoyable course. There are also some more open easy throws, and little water in play, keeping it tame enough for a novice player. I took a friend along who was playing for the first time, and he managed to make a couple of pars, learn and have some fun. I shot two over par on my first round here, 3 bogeys and a birdie. There are tee signs at each hole, concrete tees, and some benches. The baskets are fairly new and in great shape. Layout is fairly easy to follow. The first 3 holes play up and down the side of a large grass covered hill. A couple of trees frame the fairway at hole 1, a nice downhill par 3. Hole 2 is flat, with some rough to the left of the fairway. Number 3 is back uphill a little and wide open. At hole 4, the distance is shorter, but you enter the woods for a while. The gap to shoot through trees off the hole 6 tee is pretty narrow, but the distance is short if you can make a good throw. Hole 8 is the first of three par 4's, still in the trees. Hole 9 is a fun uphill birdie run, only 165'. 11 comes out of the woods for a break, and is the only hole I made a birdie putt. Hole 14 is a nice flat, mid-range between two mature trees. 15 is the longest par 4, just under 500' through the woods. 16 is more open, but still some mature trees. The last hole is the final par 4, and finished me with a bogey. I liked the shifts between open and wooded during the round, and the distance and elevation elements are also mixed well. If you played on a slow day and don't lose any plastic, one or two people should be able to finish a round in around an hour, I would think.
Cons: Not any complaints from me. Not a high degree of difficulty for the advanced player.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole at Jackson Park was 10. A downhill throw with enough of a window for a big hyzer to the basket at the bottom. I wouldn't say there was a signature hole, but it is a very nice course overall. The course is well kept and fun to play. If you are in the area, or seek unplayed courses obsessively like me, it is worth a visit for sure.

2-4    3/18/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: crazytexasgunguy
Pros: Beautiful new course. Great design. Some nice challenging heavily wooded holes. Great course for novice or expert alike. Not much traffic. I played this course every morning while there visiting family and only saw a few other people there.
Cons: They are still working on this course putting on the finishing touches. Biggest con is if you want to run into town to grab a disc or two good luck. You have to drive 45 minutes to Asheville to find a store that sells disc golf anything.

Finally

1    4/25/2016   4/25/2016
Review By: 1978
Pros: I really enjoyed this course. Review title "finally" because out of the 40 states and 250 courses I have played, few live up to their rating. I was (for the most part) thoroughly impressed with the thoughtful clearing of this course. Underbrush was removed before course broken in, trees relatively limbed, mulched fairways and teeboxes. Wow, great job. The course is not overly difficult but the variety is totally there. I liked the mix of open and wooded shots. The beauty of the fairways enticed me to throw multiple shots on almost every hole. Lines were clear and distinct. I highly recommend this course. I would have to say this is a designer that gets it. Great use of land, elevation and course creation.
Other Thoughts: I've purposely written my "con's" in other thoughts. These are meant as positive feedback and things that hopefully will get attention to make Jackson a 4*+.
1. PLEASE PEOPLE (around the world)do not cut trees @4" when making courses, either to the ground or 2ft tall so you can see them. I literally almost bit it 5-6 times. These stumps are dangerous and no joke, there are far too many just tall enough to turn an ankle but short enough to not notice in the leaves. These absolutely need to be taken out with a saw, not just kind of painted orange.
2.slight issue...who ever installed the baskets might have been inexperienced. a few were not pointing in the right direction and numbers were not aligned with fairway
3. there are a number of drop offs after tees, some were shored up with logs that will rot. I saw tons of 6x6 in the parking lot, hopefully those are for the course. Sooner than later will prevent much erosion and safety issues now
There were a few areas where cut lumber was not put in condensed piles ( I think I noticed this the most on 6). Dont forget to make retaining walls around your side hill baskets to prevent erosion.
4. Seems like the course could easily hold some long tees like #2 & #3 and a lot of the wooded holes, so this is a great thing for the future of the course.
5. Erosion control throughout on fairways and on steep transitions, if addressed now, will really help the course maintain its beauty. (Logs or lumber directing water flow) I could see areas where water will flow right down paths or through fairways and create erosion, killing trees.

All in all I was picky. The stumps are a major and real issue 1. for safety and 2. for general randomness of discs skipping and hitting in the fairway. Get those fixed PM me, and Ill update to a solid 4* Some well designed longs prepared the same way the current course was... 4.5 all day long.