Hendersonville, NC
Jackson Park Share
Uploaded By: ryno Hole #7 (Taken 12/2015)

Solid course, fun, could use more signage

1    10/15/2020   10/16/2020
Review By: jmanderson529
Pros: I was very pleasantly surprise playing this course for the first time with a couple of locals. They have obviously done more work on it recently and the locals said the pins were moved recently to new spots. There are different pads and pins, so different options on how to play. It was challenging but also very rewarding if you hit your line for the birdie look. And this is just a fun course with great scenery and some memorable holes.
Cons: I was playing the long tees, and some of them had no signs at all. If I was not playing with a couple of locals, it would have been tough to figure out at first. But this is only an issue your first time (or two) out.
Other Thoughts: A very solid course overall!

Richmond Hill's Smokin' Hot Little Sister

5+    3/21/2019   3/27/2019
Review By: macfleming1
This review was updated on 7/10/2019
Pros: The setting! Jackson Park is a beautiful property for disc golf, featuring six park-style (1-3,11,14,16) and 12 wooded holes--a fantastic mix. It has a course map and practice basket at the parking lot and the tee pads and baskets are excellent. Benches on most holes, too. Being from FL, I love the elevation here, with shots up, down and across slopes. Awesome. It is very well balanced, with both backhand and forehand opportunities throughout, but neither favored over the other. Most holes have two tees which I consider a huge pro. The shorts increase the fun factor for newer players (and older ones like me). The long tees do more than just add distance, though several indeed add massive amounts. They often change the angle and the way the hole plays as well. Multiple pin placements also add to the variety. Jackson Park is close to I-26, an easy-to-reach and very worthwhile destination course.
Cons: Some holes were missing signage, but I seldom deduct for navigation-related issues since they only affect one's first time playing the course (plus you can take a pic of the map). There are some toe-stubbing opportunities in the woods from small trees not removed all the way to ground level, so watch your step. You will likely huff and puff after a few minor climbs, but not really a "con" since it results from such a huge "pro" (elevation).
Other Thoughts: If you fed Jackson Park some steroids and took away the park-style holes and short tees, you'd get Richmond Hill. We played both courses during our NC spring break and found Jackson to be way more fun thanks to the short tee options and slightly fewer trees. But I'm well-aware of the masochism suffered by advanced players who crave huge distance and poke-n-pray forestation. You can still have that at Jackson thanks to the long tees. Love this place; it's definitely in my top-five.

UPDATE 7/2019: Another NC visit gave me a chance to play JP again! I experienced some of the excellent alternate pin placements that I failed to mention in my first draft. #2 has a SUPER long/ dangerous (water) basket. Plus a new hilltop location for #6 was clear evidence of a steroid injection!

Much love for Jackson

1    1/8/2019   1/11/2019
Review By: DGphanatic
Pros: Played the shorts in this round. I liked that holes 1,2, and 3 gave you an opportunity to get warmed up with relatively wide open shots to dial in your lines and get the doo doo out. Really enjoyed the wooded holes. Even though most of the holes were in the woods, you could find a decent line that you were comfortable with getting from point A to B. All in all, this is a well thought out course. You have elevation, water, tight lines, open drives, and beautiful scenery. Benches at every hole&#128077;&#127996;. I can't wait to visit again and play.
Cons: Not much I can say about cons but if I was to really be knit picky about the course, I'd say that they should install more navigation from one hole to the next. Also, each hole only has one info post on the hole. Some of the holes the info post is at the longs and some are on the shorts. They could install info posts on both tees and that would help. Other than that...this is a great course for only being 3 years old.

Fun Local Course in Park

1    1/3/2018   1/3/2018
Review By: shai
Pros: Good mix of elevation, and distance. Only one long hole 450-ish. The rest are mostly under 300, with a few between 300-400. Winds through woods and open fields around an old plantation looking home.
Cons: Not 100% clear how to navigate. The signage is plastic sheets that fall off and blow away. There are concrete Tees that are often unmarked completely.
Other Thoughts: Worth playing when on vacation in the Asheville area.

Soild course

5+    9/22/2017   9/28/2017
Review By: Geodisc25
Pros: To start. the course has two tee pads for and multiple basket positions for every hole. Regular and pro tee can suit your style. Multiple baskets give course locals even more variety.
I find this course to have such a fun variety of shots, the course starts with a downhill shot between two trees into an open field, hole two features water now and hole three is uphill. You enter the woods on hole four where you will find up and down hill shots, light to heavy tree placement, rights, lefts and laser straight approaches. The course returns to the open later on for two beautiful open shots that both require some skill.
I find this course challenging, not only with the holes but challenging to endurance, but not too much so that it takes from the fun
Cons: easy to loose discs, especially in the summer time, lots of growth, lots of thorns if you go OB. hole one has a tough OB to the left.
one hole has a walking/ bike path in the middle, a few in the woods have trails nearby, some my travel through.

lots of steep up hill.
Other Thoughts: love this park and love this course.

Bo Knows Disc Golf

1    7/22/2017   7/26/2017
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Jackson Park is one of the most solid all around courses I've played. Everything about it is done well and while there's nothing there that screams amazing, it just chugs along never taking a break.

For starters there are two pads on every hole (I think) and multiple pin positions on about half. So to really get to know this course you'd have to play it multiple times. I did try to check out every pad and pin position as I went through.

The long pads seemed to go back and forth between being a bit longer on the same line or being a bit longer and off to the left or right slightly changing your line. What I did like about the longs on some of the holes where the line was pretty much the same as the shorts was that the long pads usually brought in an early gap that wasn't a factor from the shorts which really heightened up the difficulty.

Jackson not only has a really good balance between open/park style golf and wooded holes (6 park style, 12 wooded) but it brings you out and sends you back in so that it keeps the round interesting and changing. The design also switches up hole distances and how tight each fairway is going through.

The selection of which trees to leave in fairways is done well, there's no late random trees on blind drives that annoy me in so many places. Some holes give you multiple routes and some force a certain line which is balanced well.

The terrain is pretty much all rolling hills, there's a couple flat holes but not many. The design uses the elevation changes well along with gaps to hit throughout the fairway to make you work the disc a bit while navigating the ups and downs.

The greens here are well thought out in placement, usually tucking the basket left or right a bit to add challenge. There's a few fast greens but it's not overly done like some courses on this type of terrain tend to do.

The par 4's are great; they give you the ability to really get down the fairway if you hit your line while also bending so that errant drives will be punished. They also allow you to get creative on your second shot depending on where you end up, instead of punishing you if you're not dead in the fairway.

A handful of the holes let you rip a driver but at the same time has elements that make you consider your line and where you're landing. There's some OB/nasty rough on pretty much all of the open holes to consider.

Equipment - Pads are concrete and big enough. Baskets are in good shape. There are temp looking tee signs on the short pads noting distance with a hole map. There's some strategic benches placed throughout. There's also next tee signs on pretty much every place where it's not obvious.

One thing this place got right was going in and putting down erosion controls and steps on the steep hills right from the get go. It gives the course a real professional look and let's you know a lot of time and planning went in to it.

Atmosphere - It's a multi-use park but you are pretty much in wooded areas that take you away from the rest of the park activities. It's a nice looking course overall and is really clean around the edges. You can tell they got all the brush and limbs out of there after putting the course in which again really adds to the professionally done feeling of the course.
Cons: Layout - My one real criticism of the layout is that there are never any holes that really make you work a disc left or right. Most of the wooded holes bend a bit left or right but never force a big hyzer or anny.

The one hole that sticks out to me as approaching filler status is hole 3. Now it is a big throw up a hill and the only hole of it's type on the course but it just seems a bit boring after the first two openish holes. I'd plant a large tree or some smaller evergreens off to the right of the fairway that not only separates holes 1 & 3 a bit more but keeps people throwing RHBH or LHFH from hyzering up there. Hole 2 just gave you a RHBH/LHFH hyzer so it's repetitive.

Holes 11, 14 and 16 do bring you near the walking path/road. On every hole visibility is not a concern but this could cause you to have to wait. 11 is the only one that could pose some safety concern imo.

The only other criticism I could see of Jackson is the lack of bite some holes have. If you're coming from CLT this course isn't as demanding or punishing if you get off schedule. Although note I have not played all the iterations and have not played all the long to longs.

Equipment - I don't know the deal with the tee signs but I'm guessing what's there now is temporary and something more permanent is on the way. I hope they eventually get signs at both pads because it does irk me having to walk up to the short pad then walk back to the long.

I also think some effort should be made to level off some of the pads more with the ground, that could be a safety issue.

Atmosphere - My biggest gripe here is that when they cut off some of the trees in fairways/walkways they left small nubs sticking out of the ground. My son tripped twice on one of these and once was going downhill so he tumbled a bit.

Some of the holes go near a creek/marsh type area and we got ate up by mosquitoes so bring bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Jackson is the type of course I'd love to have where I lived. It's varied and an all around really fun course that you can play a lot and not get bored or frustrated with. I think it's great for players of all skill levels so it's definitely a great addition to western NC. It doesn't have the eye catching valley holes and giant hills you'll find at Richmond Hill but overall I think it's a better course and more accessible to a larger demographic.

I'm Goin' to Jackson, I'm Gonna Mess Around

1    5/14/2017   5/15/2017
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Whew boy this is a gem of a course. Right off the bat this is a tremendously balanced course with technical woods, open fields and park-style mix of the former coming in fairly equal measure. The front nine is spectacular, starting with a terrific starter hole of a downhill bomb. Hole 2 seems really routine until you notice the pond just left of the basket. Holes 4-9 are superbly pleasant wooded holes with rolling elevation, very appropriately sized fairways and plenty of line shaping. The wooded holes are very Charlotte-esque which is always a good thing.

The back nine mixes it up as well, starting with hole 10 that is a solid, wooded hole reminiscent of the front 9. Then hole 11 gives you some relief from tight woods with a city park-style hole with open grass and a few ornamental trees to circumnavigate. Holes 12 and 13 give you more tricky woods to thread, then another interesting hole by some very marshy vegetation that you have to clear. This is a polarizing hole and it's not a really long carry but if you are paralyzed by the thought of losing a disc you may not enjoy hole 14. 15 is a nice wooded par 4 then hole 16 gives you another park hole with some old growth trees to avoid. Two more fairly wooded tunnel holes and you've ended a fun round.

This course has two sets of perfect concrete tees I believe on every hole which turbocharges the variety. To spice it up even more, many if not most holes have an alternate pin placement. I played it in the shorts which yielded plenty of fairly earned birdie opportunities but I wish they were in the longs because those holes looked like they had a little more bite to them.

The course looks like it is being well-maintained and I have to shout-out the nice preservation tactics I've noticed like the logs used to terrace hole 9 to retain soil and keep it from turning into a sloped mess. Great little hole by the way. This is also a really nice park with plenty of other stuff to do.
Cons: 15 comes a little too close to a playground for my liking. I don't love hole 11 playing over and near a popular sidewalk, same issue with hole 14 and you can easily hang a hyzer out and hit the park entrance road on hole 16.

Hole 3 is the only real ho-hum hole, just a wide open field bomb decently uphill.

Navigation is really easy after you figure out the hole's start, for now. I say for now b/c the "next tee" signs are laminated paper signs stuck to stakes that could easily get dicked with or blown away. These same signs make up the tee signs as well and clearly show an impermanence. So far so good though.

Minor quibble but the "long" tees don't really add much length as far as I noticed. They're more like alternate angle tees than long tees and the difficulty added doesn't seem substantial. This might also be just me but I seemed to throw a lot of the same discs repeatedly; I was doing work with my stable mid and putter. Maybe I was just on, maybe the fairways needed a bit more tweaking to induce other shots out of me, I'm not sure.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, truly. You could plop this down in Charlotte and it wouldn't miss a beat. It's more in the Scrapyard, Eastway, Reedy, Robbins tier of CLT courses but it can hang with the big boys too I think. The woods are really nice and pretty, the park is nice, there's great use of elevation change and terrain, etc. It doesn't quite have the length or space to get in that elite tier of courses but it's maxed out and perfectly entertaining as is.

5+    10/10/2016   1/10/2017
Review By: jdborden
Pros: Located in a nice big park

Recently added flags to top of baskets for easier pin location

Long tees have nice new pads

Lots of longer holes so you have a chance to use every disc in your bag but still a few short ones where you have a chance for an ace
Cons: Beginner tees have no pads yet and not always clearly marked

A couple holes are easy to get lost unless you've played it before

Other Thoughts: I play a little better each time I play here. Hard course for beginners, but once you get a feel for it, it's a pretty good course (my buddy from Michigan shot a +17 and says it's the worst course he's ever played because of the elevation changes... just be careful when shooting uphill at the basket because there's a chance you roll 200 feet downhill and behind a tree)

Solid course, but small changes will help!

1    12/26/2016   12/29/2016
Review By: alecfalzone
Pros: Great teepads, benches, and baskets on every hole. This is one of my biggest gripes on courses but Jackson has solid course hardware.

The location of the park is great, especially in a multi-use park like Jackson. The only issue I could foresee would be spill-over near the tennis courts on Hole 2.

Greens and fairways (for the most part) are well-defined and manicured. Exceptions in the Cons section.

Course flow again (for the most part) was pretty straight forward as I was a first-timer.

Variety of tee shots is definitely there. As a 50/50 FH/BH player I threw all shots. FH, BH, BH annys, FH annys, driver shots, putter shots, etc. Good variance of drives.
Cons: Signage, especially near Hole 1. With the massive size of Jackson Park, finding Hole 1 was pretty annoying. There were no directions or signs pointing where to find Hole 1. We ended up parking by the tennis courts and back tracking from Hole 3's teepad.

Hole 12 and Hole 14 are gimme holes with no real obstacles to navigate. I would recommend an elevated basket platform on Hole 14 and moving the basket on Hole 12.

Hole 12 and 16's fairways/greens are within 80' of each other with no obstacles between the two. There were some errant shots from Hole 12 that inhibited our play on Hole 16. These two holes could use a redesign.

Hole 15 needs some trees removed to make it a legitimate hole with a well-defined fairway. I was able to birdie this hole, but I am not sure how. There doesn't seem to be a defined line after the first 250' of the fairway. The green is great, and the early part of the fairway is great. After 250' however it turns into Plinko.

Hole 18 could also use a better defined opening to the green from the woods, it's much better than 15, but a few trees could go to make it a much better hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great course. It is new, so changes will come with time and I am optimistic for its future!

I found a disc on Hole 3 and called the owner who showed up with a beer for me. Much appreciated sir. This just goes to show that you should always call numbers on discs, good is always earned!

This was my first course in the Asheville area and would highly recommend it to anyone in the area. This is a great addition to western NC and will definitely be back to play it again!!

Great course if in the shorts

2-4    12/4/2016   12/6/2016
Review By: hellbound
Pros: Most if all hole have some kind of alt/long pin for a different look. Could be finish left in one layout and right on another.

Benches on every hole and well needed with all the up and down the hills.

Tee boxes are level and aproprite size for the hole. None of them felt like you had to start way off the tee pad to complete a throw.

Baskets are top notch disc catcher that are easy to see in the woods.

Open holes do add a element of challenge with uphill, down hill and ob.
Cons: Long pins have a feeling of being long just to make a long course. Fairways for them in the woods on a couple of holes just don't make sense.

I don't feel like this is a con because you should pack out but no trashcans.
Other Thoughts: I got the chance to play a couple of rounds for the Greatful Jay tournament and was plesnely surprised on the quality of the course and the attention to grounds. I would love to rate it higher then a 3, however the long pins on a few holes just didn't need to be put in. Example: of hole six if I remember. In the short you have a tree that leans over the fairway to guard a rh hyzer route to the basket. When the pin is in the long tree is not needed and is more of a nuisance and doesn't make a real line.
Couple of other holes are similar in nature and just left a odd feeling.

Don't let that hold you back from playing Jackson. I loved the short/original layout more. Even in a hybrid layout of the two I would still enjoy it. I did say to a couple of people that just a tree down here and there and this would be a 4.0 easy. Im not one for slashing and hacking but love a defined fairway even if its tight. I just not a big fan of a smaller tree that just doesn't fit the look and feel.

I will be back to tame the beast of a course Jackson park can be. Maybe next time Ill have a higher rating feeling.