Olathe, KS
Heritage Park Share
Uploaded By: jasonhartwell Hole #15 (Taken 6/2016)

The Heart of Heritage

1    5/2/2017   8/27/2017
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Heritage Park is a nice park. It didn't have a lot of other traffic around the disc golf course. The nice tee signs sit next to large concrete pads. The baskets are in working order, and there are lots of possibilities for pin locations.

Terrain is primarily flat, but there are plenty of mature trees and tall grass rough patches interspersed across nice grassy fairways. A pond comes into play, but is not a high risk for losing a disc.

The layout is nice, I didn't have to spend much time looking at the map to navigate. Par 54 total without any excessive distance. Plays fast and fair. Plenty of room to make throws out of the box on most of the holes. The trees will create lanes and ceilings frequently, but still leave a good fairway.

I favored the back nine over the front. Fairways get a little tighter, and the interest rises a bit. It is tougher to get distance from the tee, and knockdowns can lead to tough second shots. The basket on 12 is raised on a stump. The water is in play next to hole 16.
Cons: I can't be overly critical, but I also don't feel a high level of excitement thinking back on playing Heritage. There are few holes that are memorable enough to warrant a second visit with several other great courses in the area, as well as several I have yet to visit.
Other Thoughts: Heritage is absolutely worth playing. The design is very good, and is good for learning the game or maintaining skills. It isn't in the top tier of courses around KC in my opinion, but if it were my neighborhood course I would mind playing there on a regular basis.

I scored 58 during my only round at Heritage park. I made a couple of birdies, and a handful of bogies, with one double bogey. I would not mind a few more tries at it. There are some shorter holes that give chances to get under par, and I could clean up a few of the bad shots with repetitions.

KC’s got a Heritage of solid courses

1    5/28/2017   6/15/2017
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Nice course set apart from other activities in a large, multi-use park.
• Variety: Good. Heritage is all about keeping it in the well-defined fairways and out of the dense woods and brush lining them. A few holes open up enough to allow for a few different routes off the tee (especially if you have the arm to get up & over some of the trees in the fairway, and still get decent distance), but for the most part, you actually have to shape a shot and hold a line. The map makes it look like everything's straight ahead, but with 3 sets of rotating basket placements, it seemed to be set up so that not all the holes were straight ahead, and it felt like a decent mix of R & L turning fairways, (but I'm pretty sure it's possible to have the baskets arranged so that most of the holes are basically straight ahead). The range of distances is good, but not outstanding. That said, some holes "feel" quite a bit longer because they're tunnels.

• Challenge: Very good. Fairways do a good job of presenting a reasonably tough, but manageable window... swear I heard them saying, "Here's your line... hit it." Most of the time, the rough is thick enough that leaving the fairway will add a stroke or two, but there are some spots where it's more forgiving. Heritage is much more about shot placement and mitigating risk than it is about distance off the tee.

• Equipment: Very Good. Nice tee concrete tees, quality baskets, and tee signs that show all 3 pin placements (too bad they don't tell you the current placement). Everything (including fairways) seemed to be well maintained and in great shape.

Aesthetics: Lots of eye appeal - not stunningly beautiful, but a very green and pleasant setting.

• Navigation & Flow: Mixed feelings. Getting from hole to hole was pretty intuitive most of the way... don't recall using the map that much. However, we spent a lot of time walking fairways to spot baskets, because several of the pins were in blind placements and the signs don't tell you the current position.

• Memorable holes: #12 with its well-guarded basket atop the stump and #16, with water lurking to the right as you approach were standouts. I also really liked #15. Kudos for raising 12's basket a bit so that misses result in longer comebacks.

• DG exclusive - didn't see much else in this area.
• Ample parking (apparently not a given from what I saw at Lakeside & Water Works).
Cons:
• Elevation: Meh. Pretty much flat. 16 plays a downhill enough to add some distance to your drive, and the terrain rolls a bit here and there, but this course is pretty freakin' flat. (See Other Thoughts).

• Repetitive: While I enjoy the finesse/control part of the game, Heritage starts to feel a bit repetitive toward the end of a round. The view from many of the tees has a similar look & feel. A couple of well-placed bomber holes would go a long way toward creating a change of pace.

• Where's the #$^$@! basket??? Regardless how nice the signs are, some system of communicating the current placement would be a HUGE improvement (and not just for visiting players). I'm a BIG fan of rotating pin placements; keeps things fresh and interesting for locals, and if changed regularly, you don't get those ever-growing dirt circles around the basket, because each position only gets used about 1/3 of the time... but for cryin' out loud, tell us where it is.
I used to accept that you can't do much about creating elevation where nature doesn't provide any, but I've seen enough examples where courses have built up tee boxes or elevated baskets (like #12) to make things more interesting. Even a few feet makes a big difference in how a hole feels and plays. I've seen railroad ties and landscape timbers used to create a large box (approx 6' x 15' x 3' high). Fill with gravel and packed dirt, and tamp/compress, frame in a flush tee pad, add concrete and, voilà: elevated tee. Looks nice, too.

Wonderful complement to Lakeside Hills (about 10 miles away). Both are solid courses, with each providing what the other is missing. The two pair well for a great day's discing, but neither puts it all together, which keeps me from rating either one higher. That said, if I were local, I'd play more rounds at Lakeside.

Enjoyable, not "WOWING"

2-4    4/8/2017   4/8/2017
Review By: ChadNewman
Pros: Every tee had a nice long tee pad a few had seating around and a trash can. Course was clean with a few cans laying around here and there, but overall very clean course.

Great parking and bathrooms close by, along with a shelter not far from the first hole, which is awesome if you are meeting up with a group.

Nice signage showing different pin placements, didn't have the ability to show current placement, but you can normally see the pin from the pad or a few steps up the fairway.

Not many open holes to have a bomb other than 2 and 11. The majority of the holes will require some kind of tunnel shot or straight accurate shot with a turn

A couple of my favorite holes were # 3 and #12
- 3: Not the most technical hole or most impressive, but who doesn't love an ace run?
- 12: Probably one of the staple pins on the course. Elevated basket with trees surrounding the pin.
Cons: I love courses that have a nice big board showing the course lay out and a bulletin board of some sort, I'm not sure if they are looking to put one in, but it currently does not have one.

We played the course after some rain and the course doesn't hold water very well in a few spots, but this won't be an issue every day.

Would also enjoy more benches and trashcans on each hole, but still a pretty young course, so improvements seem to be on the horizon.
Other Thoughts: Decent course, I will say it have a young feeling and knowing the Olathe area they will most definitely be making upgrades on an annual basis.

A Maturing Course

1    2/18/2017   2/18/2017
Review By: SirDreward
Pros: - Nice mix of technical and open shots
- Concrete tee pads and some have trash can and benches
- Fairly easy to navigate
- Good signage on the course
Cons: - No park signs pointing where the course is within the park (yet)
- Fairly easy to lose a disc from the mid spring to mid fall
Other Thoughts: There were a few shots that made me actually think a little and the trees can be quite the determine to your drive. Given a few more years this could be one of the best courses in the KC metro.

Great Course!

1    12/28/2016   12/28/2016
Review By: lylewitt
Pros: --Nice variety of shots.
--Excellent tees and baskets.
--Plenty of space.
--Nice mix of technical and non-technical throws.
Cons: --No pin position indicators.
--A few lengthy walks between holes.

Other Thoughts: I've played disc golf for a number of years--primarily in Cincinnati. This course ranks near the top among my favorite courses. I loved the open feel of most of the holes mixed with the challenge presented by some of the more technical throws. As this course matures, I think it will become one of the best in Kansas City!

Almost their

1    10/30/2016   10/31/2016
Review By: REignsDchaiNS
Pros: Beautiful course in a very nice neighborhood. Good mix of open and wooded holes. Benches and trash cans at some holes. Grass well manicured. Signs are now up on all holes. Multiple pen positions on most holes.
Cons: No park signs pointing towards were the course is within the park yet so you'll have to follow the directions from this site to find the course. Nothing on the signs indicating which pen position the hole is in unfortunately this is a common problem in disc golf course design I feel is usually over looked in course sign design. Hopefully this is problem that is fixed in sign design in the near future.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a very good course layed out very well and easy to follow. It is probably soon to become the most well known in the area so get out and play it before it gets crowded.

Soon to be favorite

2-4    8/18/2016   8/18/2016
Review By: Coberley16
Pros: I feel this course is laid out very well. There are multiple basket locations available. Good combination of open and wooded areas. Plenty of shade throughout the course for those hot days.
Cons: I really have no complaints about this course. Being that it is still under construction, not all holes have benches or signage.
Other Thoughts: I would consider myself a beginner, and I threw 5 over par. I gave this course 4/5 only because it is not complete yet. After completion, this will deserve a 5 and will become my favorite course in the area. The signature hole #12 is one I will look forward to every time I play. Great job done on this course!

Solid Course

2-4    7/9/2016   7/15/2016
Review By: Noven
Pros: Course is cared for and has a variety of shots with differing lengths. Benches are concrete tee pads are great. Very secluded feel when playing and the land is dedicated to the course, minus some negligible nature conservation stuff.
Good mix of shade along the course. Course has a lot of potential and some basket placements make the course fun.
Cons: Benches on back nine seem a little sparse, maybe not fully in yet. Some rough gets ROUGH and you will pay. Problem is probably more exacerbated by some tight window tee shots.
Other Thoughts: Once course is fully built, it will be a great addition to the KC scene. Kudos to the organizers and hope they stick with it!

5+    6/18/2016   7/8/2016
Review By: akray21
Pros: Great variety (tight technical to open placement shots)
Fun technical shots
Multiple backet locations
Signature hole 12 is beautiful
Good sized tee pads
Benches installed
Secluded feeling in the woods
Cons: Think brush in the summer with thorns
Extra tight fairways when trees and plants are full bloom
Other Thoughts: This is a personal one, but I don't like the water on hole 16. You don't get to throw a nice pretty shot over the water, instead it is very close behind the basket making me play a layup every time to make sure I don't lose a valuable $15 disc.

I know Scott is always looking for ways to upgrade the course as he has upgraded something nearly every time I have visited the course (probably 20+ times now). I usually enjoy courses that have multiple baskets in the ground for each hole, or multiple tee pad options (easier locations for beginners/juniors, and harder for intermediate to open). Maybe this could be an option down the road?

Pleasantly Surprised!

1    6/27/2016   7/5/2016
Review By: rondre
Pros: Long concrete Teepads
Good Variety of shot selection
Well manicured fairways
Cons: Lack of signage on where to go - I found myself on several holes having to walk halfway up the fairway or more to see where the basket was as there was no way to tell from the tee pad.
Crazy rough in some spots
Bugs! Got attacked a few times by a large flying thing I couldn't identify lol.

Other Thoughts: I'm relatively new to disc golf and haven't developed my form enough to have a cannon yet so I probably average 300 on drives and occasionally hit 350+. That being said this course fit my game pretty well as I was able to have a chance at reaching most holes. The baskets weren't the best but they worked just fine. I had one of my better rounds here even tho the score didn't show it. Several birdie opportunities for intermediate to advanced players.