Colorado Springs, CO
Rampart DGC Share
Uploaded By: LeewayeDiscGolf Hole #14 (Taken 1/2016)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great views and many birdie opportunities

1    3/18/2017   3/20/2017
Review By: Gumby23
Pros: Stunning views of Pikes Peak. Lots of birdie opportunities. Hole 10, you gotta check it out! Great concrete tee pads and unique blue baskets. Fun layout with good terrain.
Cons: Long walk between hole 10 to 11 and then back after 14 to 15. Great "Next tee this way" signs, but wimpy tee box signs. A bit hard to find Hole 1 if the parking lot is full of bmx and park people.
Other Thoughts: This course has matured from what the earlier negative review say. Very cool course and not crowded like Cottonwood. Separated from the population once you drop out of the park area.

Great potential, but still needs work

1    6/2/2016   6/7/2016
Review By: malicemizer
Pros: - Challenging holes that aren't impossible
- Great terrain/obstacles
- Nice mountain views
- Little pedestrian interference
Cons: - Terrible layout if you follow the actual progression of holes
- Tons of cactus
- Poor signage
- Poor trail system to certain baskets
Other Thoughts: This course has a lot of potential but definitely bring a map. No permanent signage or real launch pads exist yet.

Unfortunately me and my friends did not bring a map and had no idea where the beginning was. The very easy to see and logical starting location/parking area (wood fenced parking lot) is NOT the begining. We spent a very long time looking for hole #1. Once we found it, we did okay going from hole to hole, but it wasn't perfect. The holes are fun and there are a lot of nice natural obstacles and elevation changes.

There still isn't a great trail system from each basket/launch pad to the next. Definitely will need to bring pants/closed shoes. Cactus seems to be in high abundance as well. There is one basket that requires you to cross a pretty large ravine. It wasn't impossible by any means but wasn't ideal.

The biggest problem: the course is MASSIVE. I think it would have been better to make a few shorter holes and keep it all on the south side of the BMX track. As it stands, the course is split with 3 or 4 holes on the North side of the park, no where near the rest of the course.

Great course for its age

1    5/15/2016   5/19/2016
Review By: bcos4life
Pros: -Level change= Very few holes are a level elevation shot. Almost every one has an uphill or downhill in it. You really have to push your uphill shots and make sure they don't land on edge for a roll.

-Use of natural obstacles= Trees, bushes, and hills are everywhere here. They use them really well to create a fun course.

- Privacy= When I saw it was next to a park, I was worried I'd be dealing with picnic people and dog walkers. But this is secluded from the park and is really just a disc golf park.

- Signage= It's laminated paper with footage written on it, but the hole is clear and it's accurate. What more do you want?
Cons: -Age= Nothing wrong here, but the pros of an older course is that things are broken in a little more. It's hard finding the exact next tee sometimes, as paths aren't worn in yet. It will get there, just not there yet.

-CACTUS= Co Springs has a lot of cactus at their courses, but this one has a lot. I'm still finding quills on my discs a couple days later.
Other Thoughts: This course will host some amazing tournaments. The view of the mountains is as spectacular as any course I've ever played on. Would recommend to anyone.

Confusing Layout Signage Missing

1    4/20/2016   5/7/2016
Review By: Nlholliday719
Pros: Has Potential.
Cons: Large sinkholes near course make it difficult to retrieve disc's, No Signage leading to hole one, the other holes were difficult to find. Lots of trash around the course as well. Very long walk from hole 10 to hole 11 with barely any signage to find the start of hole 11.

New course with issues but unbelievable potential

1    4/20/2016   4/20/2016
Review By: ninjalectual
This review was updated on 6/26/2016
Pros: *High fun-factor. Excellent use of the available terrain, making use of both elevation and natural flora as obstacles

*Features a wide variety of shots: every combination of long and short left and right turns will be needed. Bring a wide selection of discs and expect to need all of them (over- and under-stable, glidey and ballistic, and don't skimp on the midranges). The majority of holes were in my tweener distance, where I had to decide between driving with a midrange or a fairway, adding an extra layer of challenge. Stronger or weaker arms may not experience this the same way.

*The background scenery is gorgeous, including dramatic, panoramic views of Pikes Peak.
Cons: *As of today (4-20-2016) navigation is EXTREMELY CONFUSING, as there is no signage whatsoever. Tees are "marked" with a little 2-inch square flag posted at ground level. The course layout is not intuitive, and the paths aren't old enough to have been beaten down enough to be easy to follow. I assume this is going to change, because it's simply unacceptable as-is.

I would not have been able ro find the first tee if I didn't get to follow a group just ahead of me, and I was still unable to find the tee for 18, though picking my own fun safari tee spot was no issue.
*Worse, the map included in the files section on this site is misleading, in both the direction between tees/baskets, and in relative diatances. Throwing at the wrong basket was a constant issue, and I ended up replaying 3 or 4 holes after the map pointed me to the wrong basket.

*While I assume the signage problem to be addressed, I am less confident about seeing holes 11-14 fixed. They are a long diatance from the bulk of the course, by themselves in almost a different park. This could be forgiven, except they are also the most bland, boring holes here. They're all just wide open with no interesting obstacles or elevation differences to provide a challenge. There is no obvious reason why they would be designed this way. It's as if the course designers lost all inspiration after 14 holes, and tacked these 4 on as an afterthought, to make it to 18. Honestly, the course would be stronger with an honest 14 than it is now. I recommend just skipping from 10 to 15, the others are not worth wasting your time on.

While the main section is packed rather tight, it seems to me there is still room for 4 more holes without the random expedition to the north.

*Two words: scrub oak. The area is littered with knots of thick underbrush that's at times impassable. That said, I never had any trouble locating and retrieving my discs, but it's an issue to keep in mind.

*Someone STOLE MY FLEECE JACKET! The tee for 7 is next to the basket for 16, and after shedding it I left it in a tree by 16 to pick up later. By the time I returned, it was missing! Granted it was the cheap one I leave in my car for emergencies, and I wouldn't have taken the chance if it were more important to me, but still, this sort of thing shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind you are next to a high school, so expect to find a more diverse crowd than the typical chill golfer types playing this course.
Other Thoughts: It was hard to come up with a rating. It is a new course that's still improving, so do I rate it as it is, or how I imagine it will be? I compromised: it is a 3, but as improvements are added, I expect it to be a 4.

If the main two issues I raised in the "cons" section are addressed, this will be an extremely fun course. It's capable of being awesome enough to at least relieve some of the crowd pressure on Cottonwood, if it doesn't end up overshadowing Cottonwood as the top destination for golfers in the north end of Colorado Springs.

And of personal note, I believe I have the distinction of being the first player to ace hole 8 (on 4/20/2016, via a hyzer finishing with a beautiful skip right into the chains)! Perhaps I'm the first to ace any hole on the course! If anyone beat me to either claim please let me know, because until and unless I'm corrected, I plan on boasting about it at every possible opportunity!