0 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: This course offers a nice mix of open holes and wooded ones. Has well maintained cement pads to throw off of. Holes have multiple pin locations and are changed monthly. There are a few holes with a nice change in elevation for Iowa. Being close to a major university it does have a tendency to get crowded but if you get out early enough you are ok. One thing I personally really love is that the undergrowth isn't out of control on this course and that means less poison weeds and lost discs.
Cons: Only one or two holes you can really let lose your throw on. Can get crowded.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the warming house on 18.
0 of 1 people found this review helpful.
It's No Turkey!
0 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: It's a well designed course that has a fair balance of right and left, some open shots, and a variety of distance. It's well kept and the signage is good. It's more densely wooded than is indicated and it's quite difficult to find a good line to the pin on some of the shorter and more reachable holes in the woods (that's a good thing, and I laud the designer for allowing several options on most of those holes rather than forcing everyone into a single line).
Cons: There is some elevation, but it's only very slight.
Very busy and some roadways in play.
As well kept as the landscape is, it is still prone to trash.
Pack out your trash people and pick up after those who don't!
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Best Course in the Area
Pros: -Well maintained and clean rec area dedicated to disc golf
-Plenty of parking
-Two practice baskets for putting before you start your round
-Decent signs at each hole
-Trash cans and seated areas at each tee pad
-3+ pin placements on almost every hole
-If you are in a hurry, one can play a quick 9 holes easily because hole 9 ends at the parking lot.
-Open front 9 with a more challenging wooded back 9.
-Great elevation changes on some of the holes, hole 5,10,13,14, and 17 in particular are some awesome holes.
-Everyone is very friendly and this course is just very fun to play during all seasons!
Cons: -Hole 18 located a little too close to the parking lot, hitting someone else's car with your drive isn't very fun.
-Place can be quite busy on nice summer days and on the weekends
-Other than that, there isn't anything bad to say about this excellent course.
Other Thoughts: In my opinion this course should have a higher rating than its counterpart, Sugar Bottom, but maybe that's just me. I would definitely recommend that you stop by this course if you are in Iowa City, you wont regret it.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
Great place to start discing
Pros: Mostly open holes.
Fun first 9 and challenging back 9.
easy to get through and find next course
very well maintained.
Cons: Can get busy, but nothing common courtesy and patience cant fix.
a few holes play into each other.
plays alongside a road for a few holes, never fun to get a disc run over by a car.
Other Thoughts: It's a great place to start out, most of the holes on the first 9 are very forgiving and have a lot of room for error. can be played back 9 first.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 6 Not
Door to Door Watermelon Salesman
Pros: Personal Rank: 102
Many other reviews talk about the crowds and safety hazards, I have only played this course during quiet times in the off season and this review only reflects my experience there, heed their concerns if you care.
A very fun course that works its way through a variety of relatively flat, lightly wooded park style holes, then takes a dive into the heavily wooded ravines to introduce some rather adventurous technical holes. This is one of those courses that on coming to hole 18 I wish the fun would continue. It's a quick enough round that playing another time through will often win out over moving on to another course.
This is the only course in the Iowa City area that made my favorites course, Peninsula and Sugar bottom are both near the quality and make for a very enjoyable trifecta for a day of disc golf. I wouldn't quite recommend the area as a destination area, but being so close to the freeway makes it a great layover on a long drive across Iowa.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.
My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.
~The main thing I ask myself is "Does this course make me want to come back?" if the answer is yes, it makes the list.
Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.
6 of 12 people found this review helpful.
10 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: - the first positive thing that sticks out to me about this course is the signage. all the signs are readable and in good condition, plus they use a nut to show where the pin is currently located. there are also signs between holes to aide in navigation so you can find your way to the next tee
- all teepads are in good shape, and in varying sizes. the teepad on hole 2 is huge
- multiple pin locations on most holes keeps things fresh, some holes have 4-5 different locations!
- variety of wooded shots. i am someone who prefers a wooded setting to a more open one, and turkey does a great job of providing this. there are about 4 or 5 holes that are "open" but still have forest on one side or another
- big turns that will challenge you, tight short fairways that will test your finesse
- well manicured by a devoted community that holds a weekly dubs league. logs set up to line fairways and steps built in many places. awesome job on the little things that make a course sweet
- garbage cans and benches placed at 90% of teepads
- water fountains and bathrooms available on site
Cons: - this is by no means an extremely difficult course, so two-discer traffic is very heavy at most hours of the day
- the first three holes are too close together. every time i play, i hear a fore coming our way by someone teeing off behind us on hole 1 while we are on the pad for hole 2. same with hole 2's pad to hole 3's pad. heads up!
- this con is only applicable for the next three, four, maybe five months, but holes 10 and 11 are currently closed by the ACOE
- some vandalism on benches and signs. not damage, just writing
- a few holes shoot very close to the parking lot and road leading to the course
Other Thoughts: it was hard for me to think of plausible cons for this course. it's a very, very solid setup they have out there. it isn't an epic course, but they do a lot of things out there with design that make it enjoyable to play. this is one course i always want to play two rounds at when i go. definitely worth a play
10 of 11 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: This is a fantastic course I've been playing for years. The front nine is tricky and open, and the back nine is much harder with various elevation and wooded shots. Pin locations are moved frequently. New improvements are being implemented into the course as well.
1) Moved tee pad to make the shot further and no way to cheat over the road, now incorporates two large trees that will eat your lunch.
2) New large decorative stone surround at the pin makes this classical hole even better.
5) Intimidating uphill shot, maybe an epic tomyhawk to get out? Shoot the gap. Also is the classical hole to sit down before the shot and take a break...
7) Anyone want to shoot the pro tee? Lots of trees, pro tee is difficult to say the least.
10) Currently closed, they've cut down hundreds of small trees in order to clean up the hole and plant grass to prevent erosion and too much mud. Already one of the best/hardest holes at Turkey, it will be open again in June and be nice and cleaned up.
11) Same as hole 10, closed for improvement.
12) New tee pad makes the shot further and with a trickier line to try and weave the large trees in the fairway.
13) Beware....One of the hardest on the course, currently at the short pin location making it a little easier, watch out for the far pin location. Raging tomyhawk seems to do the trick if you can shoot the gap.
14) Hey man that was a good shot....oh..oh...oh!!! Its rollin hard! Don't hit the first trees and pray.
17) You take the high road, I'll take the low.
18) Watch out for cars, 5 or 6 different pin locations.
Cons: Kind of muddy right now, but tis the season. It dries up nicely in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Remember to play holes 1 and 2 again to make up for the two closed holes. Holes 10 and 11 will be open in June, next year holes 12 and 13 will be closed until June, they are working through the back nine to plant grass over the next several years
3 of 8 people found this review helpful.
9 Helpful / 1 Not
Fun course, nice setting
Pros: Nice variation of open, semi-open, and wooded holes. Incredible amount of pin possibilities, not sure how often the pin locations change, but one of the holes has five pin placements and a few others have four. Pin placements noted by a bolt thru sign. Though was missing on one or two of the holes when I was there. Looked to be maintained fairly well, which I am sure most of the parks are around the reservoir. There were bathrooms and soda machines that are accessible near start of round, near hole 9, again on 12, and finally on 18. Family friendly park, I saw some younger ones playing here. Hole # 10, this hole is worth coming to the park by itself. I honestly would hit the park if I am in the area just to play this hole. The fairway is raised above a ravine on each side; you throw down in elevation towards a small creek. The "fairway" is littered with large trees that you must try to get through. A very difficult shot, truly a challenge.
Cons: Lots of beer cans and trash. Even though I don't take part, I don't mind when groups have beer or alcohol on courses, please just take care of your cans. Not a lot of cons here. The only hole I didn't like was 16. I think it was the backdrop, which was a park shelter that needed some attention, the hole itself wasn't bad and was challenging, but the shelter was behind the basket and just turned me off.
Other Thoughts: Really like the course and being close to the reservoir didn't hurt. It had been at least 20 years since I had been to the reservoir and brought back some memories for me. I could see that a park like this could get crowded; yes rounds may take longer if the course is packed, but it's worth the wait. I also enjoyed hole 14. It was a left to right shot up a steep hill where the basket was parked (pin position c?). If you can make it through the early trees and get a little height to your throw, you should be sitting good. # 10, see you soon!!
9 of 10 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 2 Not
3) always a good test of one's down hill anhyzer, plenty of obstacles and a vicious ravine to punish shots
4) beautiful drive where overpowering/turning over will cost you big. always a challenge.
5) slight test of accuracy, as the trees atop the hills can be a bit daunting. easy par for all but the worst mistakes
7) speaks for itself. hard L>R shot even from short tees. the longs make you really force a good shot or suffer.
8) moderately open, but still a challenging approach for deuce
9) with all the different pin placements, this one never gets old.
10) holy moses is this one a killer. ravines on both sides, but the left one will cost you at least 2 strokes to get out...its thick AND the hill blocks your view of the basket. when its in the long placement it's quite the entertaining toss and pray.
11) they recently added another route to reach the hole, but it plays across another ravine, making the shot selection a bit trickier.
13) love it or hate it, it's a good hole. plenty of trees to stop you short and 2 really challenging pin placements. beware of rolls!
14) another favorite. thread the needle and find yourself on a fairway slanted 30 degrees to the left.
16) long drive, but still requires some thought; down the tunnel or wide hyzer shot? either one's a risk really.
17) great throw over a ravine...with so-called "high road" to take to avoid the steep climb on the other side
18) challenging long drive bordering the road on the left trees on right. stay in bounds!
all around a ton of fun, and never an easy game to play too far under par.
Cons: 1) boring and short, hyzer shot is way too easy
2) long shot, but easily reachable on a good day without wind, and only one pin placement
12) challenging pin placements but pretty much a straightforward shot
18) ob road's a bit close to the fairway...really beats up your discs
Other Thoughts: TOO MANY busch-light-toting, groups-of-seven-throwing, annoying casuals who won't let others play through.
6 of 8 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 4 Not
Solid start to finish
Pros: Wide variety of hole styles. All distance represented. Hyzers, anhyzers, tight, open, tunnels. Uphill, downhill, flats. Very solid design. Much better than the original 9. Favorite hole: #4
Cons: Starts out a little slow but quickly gets interesting from #3 on. #12 tee pad is unusually short.
Other Thoughts: Redesign of course made this the hands down best track in IC.
1 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.