Olpe, KS
Eagle DGC Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #9 (Taken 4/2016)

Where Eagles Dare

1    1/1/2017   1/5/2017
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Eagle DGC is not easy. There are many long holes. Several are playing over or very near the water. Lots of OB. The wind can be fierce.

There are nice concrete tees, and the Dynamic Disc signs and baskets leave nothing to be desired. Layout is easy to follow, and the course is well marked.

I liked the first 3 holes a lot. Hole one has a long and short tee, and I chose to use the short. It tees over a corner of the lake, with OB surrounding the pin that is backed by the levee. I faded left, landed OB and had to take a penalty and putt from the drop zone.

Hole 2 is the only big elevation change on the course, and my favorite hole here. Tees from the top of the dam, to a hanging basket under a tree at the bottom. Open air until you get to the basket, a mid range shot was on line for me, but took a big skip in the boxes under the pin and left me a 35' putt I could not convert.

3 is next to the road along the dam, and has a lot of trees in the fairway, and a water crossing at before the pin. I liked the physical obstacles presented here, as opposed to just long and open with OB as the main hazard.

Hole 5 is tempting to take the direct line over the water all the way. I tried, failed, and stupidly tried again, and lost two discs instead of one. Next time I will surely go the conservative route and play to make par.

Hole 7 is short, but has a ton of trees. If you can get to the other end of that fairway unscathed with one throw, you must be living right.

Number 13 is another short hole, but sits very close to the water, and is high risk reward. A birdie is possible, but a lost disc is just as likely.

Hole 18 is a crazy finisher. I played from the long tee, and threw a drive that flipped to the right immediately. I thought it was gone for sure, but the wind and a big fade to the left carried it to the rocky edge of the land just short of the bridge. It bounced off the rocks, and into the water, but there was ice holding on around most of the shore, and it was close enough to grab. However, my careless throw from the drop zone was carried into the water, as the Eagle took a final bite out of my butt on the way out.
Cons: If you get in a hurry, or get a little too brave, it is easy to add on extra shots or lose discs. I lost three, two of them on hole 5, and one on hole 18. If the edge of the lake was not iced over, I might have lost another at 18.
Took 6 penalty strokes in all for the round. Ouch.

The island on hole 12 was thick heavy mud. So thick, it was not being used. The pin was short of the island on the grass, but you still have to walk across to get to the next hole. My shoes each had 3 pounds of mud stuck to the bottom after walking across the mess. The pin at 13 also had a lot of mud surrounding it.
Other Thoughts: I didn't particularly enjoy the Eagle DGC. That said, I do respect it for the tough play, and will probably be back to try it again. Requires smart play, consistent distance and accuracy, and an understanding of how to play in strong wind is a big plus.

There are a few holes that are very wide open and the main task is avoiding OB or water. I would prefer to play holes with more trees, more elevation, and less wind. That is not widely available here, and they did a great job implementing what is there to work with to create a very challenging course.

By the time I was on the back 9, I was frustrated, and kind of checked out. I was lacking control, going OB and into the water repeatedly. The wind had been pushing me around all weekend, and I was defeated.

I had no birdies, only four pars, and finished at +20. I lost a good star Destroyer and a star TeeRex on hole 5, and a cool Vibram mid range disc a friend gave me on 18. Definitely not the way I wanted to start 2017, but I will carry on, and one day return to Olpe and have my revenge.

GBO Nightmare? Dream? Where's my discs?!

1    4/30/2016   8/24/2016
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -You will use every shot you have in your bag. And you might invent a few as well
-It will challenge even the best of players
-They do dive for lost discs in the lake
-Great pads
-Even better baskets
-You're in one of the best areas for disc golf - Emporia!
-Restrooms!
-Plenty of parking
Cons: -You're playing around a lake nearly the entire time
-Lost discs will happen
-The Kansas wind - but hey, that's to be expected!
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to hate Olpe. I really did. But here we are.... 4 months after GBO and I can't stop thinking about this course. Even after I lost 1/3 of my bag, I realized, that was my fault for getting cute and brave. I am heading back to Olpe after the Oppna to play it casually. This course is right up there with ECC and Muni in difficulty. The peninsula shots will test both your accuracy and your mental toughness.

Art and his crew will dive for discs, however, they might be posted in the GBO/Worlds App or the GBO Lost Disc facebook page. He will call any numbers on the discs, so mark them up!

This course is unique. I have never ever come across anything that is this mentally challenging! Kudos to the crew!

See you in Sept!

Difficult Championship-Level Course

1    4/30/2016   6/2/2016
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This is a great addition to the already superb Emporia-area disc golf scene. This may be the most challenging as the combination of length, water and well placed obstacles make every hole difficult.

The course itself is on a beautiful lake with plenty of holes that play along the lake on its many peninsulas, including the infamous Hole 18 island hole. Most of the holes that play on the lake have a lay up option if you do not want to risk losing a disc, which is a nice option.

There are several unique holes in play. Hole 1 is one and Hole 12 is another that are two holes that stick out in my mind as holes that are unique and would be hard to find anything quite like them.

There were very few holes that I left scratching my head at the design. I played during the GBO when the OB flags were out, and I felt that even then, all of the holes were fair even with the OB.

The course was simple to follow as it just played around the lake. The signs were colorful and descriptive and there are nice tee pads, which can be beneficial as this course seems like it can attract a lot of mud in rainy seasons.

I am not the type of player that likes long hole after long hole, but I do appreciate a course that has longer holes, and moves away from the conventional Par 54 course. Eagle DGC does this well. There are a lot of long holes, but they are mixed in well with the shorter holes.
Cons: There is a high risk of losing discs on holes that it may not even seem like there is a risk. I saw someone throw a little bit too high on Hole 4, and had it careen into the water over the bank. Losing discs is part of the game, but it always hurts to see an old friend be lost.

The course can be muddy when it rains, super muddy actually. Upon writing this review, I see that parts of the course is under water because of heavy rains. This makes sense as the course sits on a lake, and is prone to flooding and mud.
Other Thoughts: This is a super challenging course for even the most experienced golfer. I would say that I am decent, and it took me almost 15 holes to get my first "3" on a hole.

This probably is not the best place to take a beginner, but the 9 hole course in Olpe is pretty good for that.

I can see this be a "love it or hate it" course. Many people will love it and others will loathe it. I appreciated and respected what the course has to offer. This is definitely the hardest permanent course in the area, and it is a humbling experience being able to play here.

Championship Level Course

2-4    4/30/2016   5/3/2016
Review By: Ultraplop
Pros: Very Challenging Course: It has distance, elevation changes, some gap shots, and many tricky placement shots.

Unique design with signature holes: I've never played any holes like hole 1 and 12. Very tricky and very unique. Quite a few Island shots with water in play.

Nice landscape: beautiful area surrounding a lake, decent amount of trees, cool terrain, overall a nice looking area.
Cons: - I played in late April and it was super muddy. During the GBO, someone lost a shoe on hole 7, it got swallowed in the mud and could not be found. The player had to finish without a shoe! Hopefully this will clear up by summer.
- Lots of water hazards and you can lose many discs if you are not careful.
- Hole 12 can be excessively difficult. Its pretty easily to lose multiple discs when trying to hit the green
- no benches
Other Thoughts: When in its tournament configuration there is a ton of OB, you have to play smart to stay in bounds making this a very difficult course.

While it has a lot of water hazards, I found that most of them seem very daunting, but end up not being too bad making it pretty exciting and fun.

Eagle DGC

2-4    4/23/2016   4/23/2016
Review By: laurenalexDG
Pros: Beautiful long course playing around the lake. Lots of open shots but also lots of OB so placement is key to leaving yourself something to throw off the tee.
•nice tee pads and drop zones
•well marked OB
•real par 4's and a 5
•fun island shots and big bomber holes
•signature holes sorta course it was nice and well kept and maintained
•wasn't hard to navigate tees are numbered and baskets are numbered but signage and distance is needed
Cons: •No signs/map/distance mark
•can lose plastic in water or in the OB muck
•water for bottles would be good but there are bathrooms
•still needs some work on some of the island and muddy holes (but I was told they are fixing, adding a lot of dirt, slight changes, ect. to improve)
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course it played long but reachable and the short "filler" holes were good lines or elevation was in play always a lil danger but it played really nice. and it's always a plus when you can jump in and swim after the round also camping here is cheap like $5 a night on the course wherever you want. Would definitely be a 5 rating with some signs and distance and tweaking those mud holes because it's a great course!!