Kings Lynn, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Tilney - Rec. Course Share
Uploaded By: djtripp20 Hole #5 (Taken 6/2017)

Surprisingly enjoyable

2-4    6/25/2017   6/26/2017
Review By: djtripp20
Pros: When I first saw this course, I have to admit I was skeptical about the upcoming round because I had my hopes set on playing the longer course across the street. Unfortuntely, upon my arrival I learned that the longer course was not configured that afternoon because of some football clubs using the course for foot golf instead. No worries however! The owner took me out on his golf cart to show me this smaller course instead. Honestly, this thing looked small, open, and rather unexciting. Then I started to play...

First, the distances were perfect for a noodle arm rec player like myself. It's more than pitch and putt... it's a great change to rip some drives and work on the mid-game. Pro level players will probably have to throttle back the power a little bit, but for me the distance matched many of the amateur tee lengths back home in the states.

Second, the course was in GREAT shape. They triple use this facility for ball golf, foot golf, and now disc golf. The grass was cut, the trees were trimmed. The baskets were new. Everything was immaculate. I had to play through a family enjoying some foot golf. It was a neat experience for both of us to get a glimpse of the other's sport.

Third, I used a few different shots to navigate the round. RHBH, flicks, even a few thumbers. Hole 6 is a tunnel shot through a left hand kink that then fades back to the right against the trees. Had to throw a flex forehand there. This course will give you options... and that's fun! Also, being that the course is in the open, the wind comes into play a few times too.

Fourth, the staff was great. I talked with the owner about disc golf in the states and he shared his experience with it in the UK. He took me for a tour of both courses (small and main) on his golf cart. Very very friendly. Oh and they have discs for sale in the pro-shop too.
Cons: The rough! If you happen to shank one into the treeline, expect to spend some time trying to find it. The rough is THICK. I airmailed a flick into the trees on hole 4, and the tree caught it 40 feet in the air. I had to leave it.

The only other "complaint" I have here is that the course isn't 18 holes. I ended up playing it twice to get my 18 in, but it's pretty solid otherwise. Sure there could be tighter lines, or the holes could be longer, but it was a very good experience for me.
Other Thoughts: This place is great. I would recommend any disc golfer in the area to come check it out. The scenery was beautiful, the course is very well maintained, and you're sure to have a great time. I wish I could have gotten a chance to experience the main course, so be sure to call ahead to make sure it's available.

Course Designer - Take it with a pinch of salt!

5+    5/27/2018   4/21/2017
Review By: rhatton1
This review was updated on 5/29/2018
Pros: - Good Targetti Baskets throughout
- Decent astro tee pads at each tee
- Fun layout
- Well signed
- Great facilities on site
- OB greens/bunkers make an interesting challenge
- Manicured fairways
- Practice putting basket outside the shop
- Pro shop
Cons: - Short - longest hole is ~110 meters.
- pretty straightforward
- Pay to play - could be seen as a pro though as the space is designated solely for golf sports.

Other Thoughts: It's a fun little beginners course with nine interesting holes that will require a range of shots.

It's superbly looked after, probably the best maintained course currently in the country.

Its only drawback is the challenge of the holes, it's very much designed as a beginners/intermediate course so to an experienced player is little more than a pitch and putt and should be a very easy under par course. Course record is currently 47 shot at this weekends tournament (insert humble brag here.... ;) ) This was only rated at 976, which seemed a touch low but a low 40's score is definitely on the cards.

I've updated my original review to a 3.5 star from 2.5. I have played here casually and in tournaments a few times now in the last couple of years and I find myself looking forward to the round each time, despite it being a 2 hour drive. Whilst the holes are short there is a challenge on each, it should be very possible for a 1000 rated player to go round in 10 under or more (tees are set to about or just over white level ~ 910/20 rated)

The course teases, tempts and tricks you though, on the surface it looks pretty straightforward but the greens lurk nearby, the bunkers have a habit of snatching your disc and the laurel bushes are one of my favourite feature bushes to have on a course, they are near impenetrable but you can also get in there to play your shots without pain (a luxury over here as most bushes tend to be thorny devil trees waiting to puncture every inch of your skin with sharp barbs.)

If you're executing your shots well you should be able to rip the course apart but if you let your guard down at all you'll find yourself carding 4's and even 5's on holes you know should be 2's.

The feedback I have had from other players at two tournaments now has also coloured my review as everyone seems to rate the course highly from new players through to the most experienced

It's a fun course and a good warm up for the main course across the road.