Carrollton, GA
Hobbs Farm Park Share
Uploaded By: lazrman778 Hole #2 (Taken 5/2016)
5 / 535ft.   5 / 780ft.   5 / 903ft.   5 / 994ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Big, Bold and Beautiful

1    5/6/2018   7/27/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.547 Rating) A huge sprawling city park course with loads of variety and amenities.
- UNIQUENESS - Variety is the spice of life. Two 800 foot plus par 5s. Numerous par 4s that vary from placement dogleg rights to tunnel technical bombs to open bomb-its. The par 3s vary from over 400 feet for the Gold layout to less than 150 feet for the Red layout. Horizon wide open holes to needle line technical holes. Pocket shots and tree gaps to split. Several water clears from bogs to creeks to a pond on (13). Lots of elevation change. Several shots exceed 40 feet in grade play. There's not much is missing here and I can only name a dozen courses that I've played with a more diversified make-up. This stated, I would have liked to have seen a well defined dogleg left and a better defined usage of the creek in a parallel fashion.
- SIGNATURE HOLES - Hobbs has a bunch of signature shots. I now keep a 200 deep list of my all-time favorite holes and Hobbs currently has four holes in my top 100 out of 4416 unique holes. Hole (2) from the Gold layout is an awesome open bomb-it play short of a creek where placement is paramount as the hole becomes heavily wooded for the remaining 400 feet to the gold basket. Hole (4) from the back tee is a spectacular twisting ridge shot requiring accurate placement. A great shot will leave an amazing 450 foot downhill wide tunnel shot towards the basket that's perched just across the creek. Hole (13) is a super-fun water clear shot and the gold basket requires hitting a pocket that also requires the disc to stay short of the water beyond. Hole (17) plays on top of a swampy area and it has two well built wood teeing platforms in the center of the bog. The thought of missing the line on this hole is exhilaratingly terrifying.
- TEES EXPERIENCE - A boat load of money was dropped on the tees out here. Most of the holes have three tees that are closely aligned to the PDGA difficulty guidelines. Red equals Recreational, White equals Intermediate and Blue equals Advanced. There's also now four holes that have newly poured Gold level tees for the Pros (poured spring 2018?). Most of the tees also have brooms and tee shading is about 80%
- CHALLENGING - The Gold layout is no doubt at least middle advanced level and I would hard pressed to name 15 courses that I've played that offer a more diversified and difficult challenge. (294 courses played as of this review.) I'd say that the with the new tees, the Gold layout is aligned to a 960 rating, the Blues layout is around 930, the White layout is at 880 and the Red Layout is at 800. When I say aligned, I mean that IMO, that rating level should average about par out here from that layout.
- NAVIGATION AND SIGNAGE - Despite taking a photo of the wonderful course map on (1), I never once looked at it. The navigational markers between holes are everywhere and it makes traversing this course that jumps around a lot, a breeze. The stunning tee signs show next tee direction and all the other appropriate info. Pathways were always intuitive. Anyone who gets lost out here, is blind.
- CHARACTER - In addition to signage and tees, almost all the amenities one can think of are here. Practice basket at (1) and there are markers in the ground indicating distances to the basket. Benches are everywhere. Several well crafted wood bridges and one awesome wood teeing deck on (17). The baskets are heavy duty Prodigy and there are a few extra custom colored Gold baskets for those playing the Gold Layout. After hole (15) there's a very nice restroom building with working drinking fountain and a locked lost disc return box.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Doubling back on the Tees Pro, this course should appeal to the widest swath of skill levels on any course that I've ever played. I could see a 700 through a 1000 rated player enjoying themselves out here. Beginners could even enjoy it too with a skip of the few water holes.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Currently in my top 20. As has been stated above, lots of elevation change and several water features. Several stoic trees play a major role on a few holes. I saw a pileated wood pecker out here on (9) and some deer. The course is moderately wooded and more park style in general, but there are still a few beautiful heavily wooded holes out here as well, like hole (9) for instance.
- MAINTENANCE - Other than holes (1) and (18) the course was extremely well groomed on my visit.

Cons: The issues are almost limited to made up problems.
- 1 SAFETY HAZARD - Holes (1) and (18) kind of border one another on a blind slope. However, now that I've played it, I know to keep my drive on (1) tucked up close to mando on the right.
- FORGIVENESS - There are some areas not to throw into out here and if a player does, it could definitely mean a lost disc. The creek cutting thru the layout comes into play 4 times. It's not so bad if it hasn't rained in awhile. I actually threw one almost in on (4), but I'm sure I would have lost it had there been a recent big rain event. Hole (17) can also be very punishing with a miss into the bog for the first 150 feet. Hitting a tree early on this hole will result in a head conversation on whether to even attempt to rescue it. The only good option I can think of is to always throw with that one guy that's always willing to walk into any snake invested pit for just a cigarette or a beer.
- WHITE TEE HOLE 5 - White tee (5) has a bridge partially in the line on the left. I had to alter my throw type from a RHBH to a RHFH to avoid it.
- DISCONTINUITY - The course jumps around a bit. A longer than normal transition between (1) and (2), (6) and (7), (8) and (9) and (15) and (16). It appears that ideal tee shots took precedence over adjacency. OK in my book, but expect several walks between holes over 200 feet. Also note that the walk between (6) and (7) crosses hole (2s) fairway.
- TIME PLAY - I personally threw the white layout in about 90 minutes solo. I figure that a group of four playing the Blue or Gold layout with be out here 3 hours or more.
- LOCATION - I think most people could argue that the course is located to far from them. A twelve minute drive from I20. One hour from downtown Atlanta and an hour and a half from downtown Birmingham. This has zero influence on my ratings.

Other Thoughts: Hobbs is an absolutely phenomenal course. There are no weak spots with this course and it is the first course, and still only course as of this review, that I've ever graded above a 4.0 in all five of my key areas (Fun Factor, Character, Uniqueness, Raw Difficulty and Raw Beauty) So what's keeping it from a 5? Well, I've structured my scoring method where it's nearly impossible to achieve such a score. Currently I only have Rollin Ridge rated higher, which is a course with a touch more variety, beauty, and challenge. Rollin Ridge does however have a boat load more amenities which is funny cause Hobbs would still rank as my number two for amenities. Hobbs however does offer slightly more fun factor being more friendly to wider swath of skill levels over Rollin Ridge. I played the IDGC courses just prior to posting this review and I still personally feel that this course is the best of the Georgia bunch. However, my personal ratings have it extremely close to both WR Jackson and Headrick. I do realize that others will disagree, and that's ok. I've never meet two players that had their list of top five courses match. Regardless, Hobbs is no doubt a designation course among destination courses in the deep south. IMO it's worthy of Top 25 consideration.

Just incredibly pleasant

1    7/10/2018   7/12/2018
Review By: blake833
Pros: Hobbs Farm seriously brings it in terms of beauty. This piece of land is rolling hills, sloped forest, and even a couple flat holes through some marshy area. There are a few 'sections' of the course as you go across the road, through the forest, up the hills, and they all deliver.

To get the small stuff out of the way first- tee pads are all big, concrete, brooms everywhere; trash cans everywhere, three tees with signs on every hole (some the blue and white are combined, some have a "gold" tee, but you get the idea); baskets are good condition T1's.

The big stuff and the reason I loved this course was the epicness of a some of the holes. My two favorite may have been 1 and 2. Hole 1 is a medium sized up hill drive, then a nice downhill approach. Hole 2 starts on the other side of the road, and then you have a huge downhill drive off the tee. It's kind of a bummer to have what I think are the two most memorable holes (13 or 14 over the water isn't bad either though) be the first two, but that's better than not having any, right?
Cons: I do understand the critique a lot of reviewers make of no "wow" factor, or signature hole, and that's fair. Those first two holes did really do it for me, but if they aren't your thing there really aren't any other contenders for something great to dazzle your razzle.

I'm not a fan of the Prodigy T1's. They don't really like any putts that aren't hard and dead center, and that can be frustrating if you're just a little off center, or close enough to just toss it in but instead you still need to kind of slam it. I know they're super cheap for being a Championship Approved target, but I don't know that many people who see them and get excited about it...
Other Thoughts: This course has got it. It's pretty, it's got all the things you want out of tees, signs, hole design, friendly locals- speaking of one of them said there's a near by disc pro shop near an Ace Hardware, but I couldn't find an Ace Hardware very close by.

I don't think this is a course that's on par with the 'best of the best,' mainly because of the few holes where you just don't feel challenged, or may not be as fair as you wish they could be, and just don't have the design that makes you think, "I can do this, and I'm going to look good doing this." There's just some special blend of being open but not too open that most of Hobbs Farm is just on the wrong side of either way, depending on the hole. That's just the only thing just edging it out of a 5 for me.

2-4    5/11/2018   5/18/2018
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: I agree completely with Bogey's review below. My thoughts are similar in many ways.

This is top notch course, primarily in the fact that not a single detail was left out and seemingly no expense was spared (like the insanely nice boardwalk built for the sole purpose of crossing the marsh twice and it actually doubles as 17's tee). But the best example of what I am talking about is that nearly every tee has its own pad, sign, bench, broom. Not hole, but TEE. It is quite a sight to see 3-4 complete teeing stations lined up on every hole. Each tee sign post is color coded at the top making it super easy to know which one to head to when coming from the previous hole. (I have played courses where you have to actually step on the tee to find out which one it is, which can be quite annoying- but not so here.)

This is a great example of designing a course to be playable for many different skill levels, even competing against each other in the same group. Of course the different tees and baskets can also be used for variety if playing multiple rounds. (I played a round each from the reds and whites). For the most part the tees provide the same tee shot experience, just at different lengths (rather than a completely alternate approach from the other tee to the hole that some course designs do so well, which is also ok). The Hobbs tees follow more of a ball golf type approach to tee placement.

In addition to all the nice tee signs, there are numerous next tee signs making navigation easy despite how spread out the holes are, which is important for taking you along some of the longer walks.

This course is very spread out over this beautiful property that contains flat grassy fields, large rolling hills, some woodlands areas, more dense forests, a creek, marshlands, and a lake, all of which are utilized for the course. And it really has everything you could want in a round- long and short, par 3's 4's and 5's with a couple ace runs. I felt every shot was totally fair, not always easy but definitely realistic. Some holes force shots, where others have 2-3 options of attack. There are plenty of long bomber shots, but others where strategic placement is required, and oh yeah accuracy is tested on some tight woods holes. Low scores in relation to par are definitely attainable here, but will be undoubtedly be earned.

My personal favorite area was holes 2-6: beautiful section of woods with the creek, featuring par 3s, 4s & 5s.
Cons: There is very little to complain about here, but a few things are:

It is not completely secluded (though almost) with the road running between sections of the course and some of the areas have the greenway running close to it. (other than that no other activities exist in this park.) The concrete sewer structures on some of the first few holes are somewhat eye sores, and one even smelled a bit. Hole 11 had a power pole and cable as an obstacle (I prefer natural objects vs man made). Hole 16 will be better in 10-15 years when all the planted trees grow up full size- in what is an otherwise mostly long and wide open hole.

Having to cross #2 fairway to get to #7 is not ideal (but understandable in order to get the best hole design.)

Needed mowed on 1, 8, 17, 18 the day I played.

Not sure why the course starts by the church and not at the parking lot by the restrooms. Houck, I guess, must have wanted certain holes to be the closing holes, but it just seems like you should start at the other place. In fact, on our 2nd round we started on hole 16, which to us just made much more sense. You could also easily start on #9 from this parking lot. (Funny story, we pulled up to tee 1, saw no restrooms, went back to the not-so-clean MPG gas station on the corner to use the restroom. Then after playing hole 15 we come across the super clean restrooms on the premises that we had no idea existed, wishing we had used those the first time...)

What really keeps me from giving it that elusive 5.0 is it is just missing some kind of wow factor or truly epic memorable hole. All the holes are good, and many great, just none stand out to me as a real signature hole to make this course stand out from others. #2,13 (especially from the longer tees are close), #4 is really nice, also teeing from the boardwalk on #17 stands out. But no jaw droppers or calendar pictures. (maybe a product of playing so many good courses now, who knows)

Note, there is not nearly as much water as is shown on the course map. Discs in creek are totally retrievable in normal conditions. The water carry on 13 is your only chance lo lose one in the water (note: I did see a large snake swimming across, so it is not advised to go too far in after your discs). Also the map shows this beautiful blue lake surrounding the course property- nope! - what little of it you see from the course is overflow marshland.
Other Thoughts: If you were to see and play this course and not know, you would assume it was pay-to-play and/or private, but not Hobbs Farm, which is quite amazing to me. I would have gladly paid $5 to play here all day. (for comparison- Idlewild comes to mind as a super nice and extremely demanding free public course). The golf itself reminded of Selah Ranch duo (obviously) but also Harmon Hills (all of which are in current top 10).

Be sure to carry plenty of water and snacks if playing in the hot Georgia summers, especially if starting on 1 as you don't return to your car until after hole 18. There is a water fountain at the restrooms that you pass a couple times later in the round (after hole 15, but you could make the extra walk before playing 9 if desperate). You might spend 3 hours playing a round and there are numerous non-shaded holes and walks.

Overall, a top-notch course- diverse and challenging design with great attention to detail. Maybe not top 10 for me but definitely top 20 (as I am closing in on 300 played). My rating of 4.5 = Phenomenal!

Georgia has somewhat quietly built a nice collection of higher rated courses spreading from the IDGC on one side to now Hobbs on the other, plus so many other solid courses in between.

Flying 1st Class!

1    12/23/2017   1/4/2018
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Superbly executed on a wonderful piece of property - simply a complete joy to play.

Variety: Excellent. Plenty of variation in fairway shapes and distances, with a nice balance between wooded/open holes. In typical Houck fashion, many holes don't necessarily impose a specific line, but present a few possible lines, and force you to execute off the tee to set up your next shot. Miss your line, fade early, or go long... you'll likely end up with tough next shot.

Challenge: Excellent. Not the most challenging course I've played, but the red, white, blue (and occasional gold) level tees do an excellent job of allowing you to match the challenge to your skill level. The optional longer pins allow you to tweak to better suite your game. There are a few tight gaps, but nothing stupid or pinball like...it's all quite fair.

Elevation: Excellent. Plenty of it, ranging from major to subtle, used in lots of ways; downhills, uphills, rollaways.

Use of Natural Elements: Phenomenal. Creek, marsh, pond, hills, trees, wind... all are brought nicely into play. High marks for routing fairways near (but responsibly away from) the paved trail, so others can appreciate our game without becoming part of it.

Aesthetics: Beautiful piece of land that would be a great hike without plastic. Plus they really did a lot to dress the course up and make it look nice.

Equipment/Maintenance: Best I've ever seen, hands down. Top notch EVERYTHING. Concrete tees are generous and level. Color coded Prodigy baskets (green on all holes, with several having a longer orange basket) catch very well, are easy to spot, have the hole # clearly marked, and are flagged where appropriate. Some of the very best signage anywhere shows all tee locations for that hole, and tee posts are color coded to indicate which tee you're at. They even tell you the add'l distance from the green to the orange basket on holes so equipped. Next tee signs keep you moving along. Bridges and catwalks are more than well built. Nice benches are present all along the course, placed so they aren't in the way of other tees. Fairways were well-groomed.

Routing & Navigation: Phenomenal. Hobbs is a long, sprawling course, with groups of holes playing in different sections around this wonderful property, so expect some long walks between holes. That said, the signage is so good and everything is so well laid out, that if you just look around and pay attention, you'll probably never need the map... but snap a selfie with map at the kiosk as a memento.

Memorable Holes: Take your pick. #2 - long downhill tee shot followed by a long approach over the creek into the woods. #4 - starts in the woods and opens up a bit toward the end, crossing the other way over the creek, with enough of an uphill finish that some approaches and missed putts could roll into the creek. #13's - water carry Ace Run. #17's bridge shot playing over the marsh is truly unique.

Drainage: Fair. It rained the night before I played, and 13 of the holes were fine. The low-lying holes across the street (#2 - #6) were somewhat swampy, but not all that bad considering.

Free to play. They could charge here and only a fool would complain
Cons: Listing cons here is like looking for blemishes on a supermodel.
I thought some of the open holes seemed a bit too open, but a few of the have some well-guarded pins.

Given that the bathrooms and sign are posted at the trail head at the back of the park, it feels awkward starting with hole 1 by the church.

Crossing 2's fairway to get to # 7... but it's so out in the open, it really shouldn't matter.

So well executed, you shouldn't take a newb here... honestly. This course will spoil them so badly they'll think ordinary courses seem like dumps in comparsion, and lose interest. You really need a course bagger's perspective to fully appreciate this gem.

Other Thoughts: The most polished and refined course I've ever played, Hobbs is the Rolls Royce of DG courses. It's what you'd expect if country clubs offered disc golf. Nothing rough around the edges here. No corners cut due to lack of funds. They spent beaucoup $$$$ here and it shows. Everything was done about as 1st class as I've ever seen (including the IDGC). Hobbs is destination disc golf with that epic feel. A must play that's worth a trip.

Maybe it's just getting tougher to move my needle, but there just wasn't quite enough "Wow Factor" to get me all the way to 5.0. As nice as all the touches are (and this place is nice), they don't actually affect discplay. It comes close, but not quite. That said, this Houck fella's getting pretty good at this.

Top notch

1    12/20/2017   12/20/2017
Review By: Bflinn
Pros: 3-4 tee pads per hole, all with great signs, benches, and brooms. I played all long tees (except for the few that had puddles around them), to long baskets. I started playing this course 20 minutes after a massive downpour. Very playable. Huge but fair holes. Cart friendly bridges and steps, beautifullly groomed fairways, and directional markers where needed. I didn't have a map, and didn't need one. I will go out of my way to play here whenever I'm heading south.
Cons: 12 hours from home, can't play it every day.

One of the Best

1    12/17/2017   12/17/2017
Review By: sjberry2017
This review was updated on 6/7/2018
Pros: (A note: I played all blue tees to green baskets)

Great baskets which catch very well

Most holes have two baskets, green and orange.

Multiple tees on all holes, most have three but some have two or four tees. Tees also have brooms for clearing them.

Practice basket with cool brick ring around the base.

Great mix of holes, lots of placement golf, a few grip and rip holes, some technical short shots, and many holes where you need to link multiple good shots together.

Fantastic mix of types of golf; no holes feel like a repeat at all.

Great ground play; lots of holes play into or with a hill side, so you need to plan for where your discs land.

Most holes in the woods have tight but fair lines, really fun.

Several unique greens. The wooden structure for hole 3 orange, hole 4's placement on the side of the creek, hole 8 down the hill, hole 9 surrounded by mulch and a wooden barrier, and most greens have some mature trees which help define where to land for a good putt.

Gorgeous and varied land; field holes, wooded holes, play out of the woods to open and from the open into the woods.

Well manicured and taken care of; not much litter and nothing overgrown.

Benches on most, if not all, tees.

Great infrastructure: awesome bridges and plenty of next tee signs.

Tee signs are super helpful; blue, white, and red signs have distances and pars for all three tees listed on each sign. I didn't check the gold ones.

Tees, signs, and benches are out of the way of each other. Not once during the round did I step up to a tee and find that the white or red tee was in my way.

Baskets have flags to help with visibility.

Mandos are well marked.

Hole 18 finished maybe 100 feet from hole 1's tee. Also, hole 18 can be easily reached from hole 8's pin, so it's easy to play a nine hole loop. Holes 2-6 can also be easily bypassed, so any amount of time can be accounted for in a round.

Hole 13 has a pole on it to help with retrieving discs from the water.

Heated restrooms and a map and info board between hole 15 and 16. 6/7/2018 Update: played the course for the second time today, this time in good weather. The little wooden kiosk past the practice basket has a course map as well. Still far from hole 1, but not nearly as much of a trek!
Cons: A couple of the transitions between holes are long. Specifically 1-2, 6-7, 8-9, 11-12, 15-16, 16-17.

6/7/2018: My gripe about the map is no more, as there is one at the wooden kiosk by the practice basket. Still a touch out of the way, but not nearly as bad as being at Hole 15/16. That map is still there as well.

I played while it was raining (mostly drizzle and light rain) and after the course had been soaked, so it was super muddy in spots, but overall did hold water well.

Some holes have the possibility of losing a disc; I actually managed to lose one on hole 13 in the water.

Some tees on the longer holes are a bit short, but there's plenty of room to run up to them.

I was the only golfer on the course, but many of the fairways are close to each other, as well as pins and tees, so I imagine there are opportunities for some holes to interfere with each other. Mandos and design should minimize this, but we all know some folks love to ignore mandos and errant throws do occur. This is throughout the course.

Some will have a problem with a few of the holes being in the fields, but there are enough trees on these holes combined with elevation change and enough woods holes to where the chance to really lean into a disc and let it fly is super fun. Also, these holes have greens which are well defined by trees and elevation so there is still some placement involved.

This course is not in my backyard.
Other Thoughts: Hobbs Farm disc golf course was a fantastic way to take break in the middle of a long interstate drive, playing around and through a large open park with a wonderful walking and biking trail. From the first hole to the final putt it was raining, but every tee shot was fun and every hole challenging. Many holes on the course require linking several shots together to get the birdie, with several tough but fun par 3's. Trees and elevation abound throughout Hobbs Farm, defining fairways and making it an extremely fun course to play. There is a lot of great infrastructure here, with fantastic tee signs, tees, bridges, directional signs to the next tees, and other various course equipment. Each hole presents a unique challenge and none of them feel like a repeat of a previous hole on the course. Some of my favorite holes from the round were:

Hole 1: a long par 4 to start off, hole 1 plays up a hill along mature trees, with a dogleg right at the top of the hill back down to a guarded basket. Slight elevation changes and a few big trees around the pin make the upshot an exercise in placement golf, a theme of the course.

Hole 2: The tee shot is a booming throw down a hill from trees into a wide open field. However, placement is key because the next shot crosses a creek thorough a tree line to a small meadow, then through another stand of trees to the pin.

Hole 4: following a short and tight hole 3, hole 4 has three lines off the blue tee to a fairway down a hillside. The pin is perched on the other side of the creek, maybe about twenty feet from it. The creek bank is uniquely carved out and really fun to play from.

Hole 7: following a couple fun woods holes, hole 7 is across the road and plays up the same hillside as hole one. Several mature trees to the left and a swampy area to the right define the narrow fairway. Throwing along this fairway and playing into the side of the hill, the upshot plays up the rest of the hill and among trees to the pin perched on the side of the hill.

Hole 9 plays up a tight wooded fairway to a dogleg left, with the green placed at the bottom of an elevation drop. A small wood frame filled with mulch surrounds the pin.

Hole 11: The blue tee plays from a somewhat sheltered area beneath a tree with a lower ceiling down an open fairway. The landing zone is a pick your own adventure area, with several different ways to play down to a pin surrounded by somewhat lower to the ground trees.

Hole 16: Plays down a tight wooded corridor, just a fun shot.

Hole 17: One of the signature holes on the course, Hole 17 tees from the boardwalk which connects holes 1-8 and 18 to the other holes. A short midrange shot, there's also a forehand flex line (right handed thrower). Reaching the other side isn't that difficult and it's also easy to retrieve a disc. Not the most difficult hole but really pretty and a super fun shot.

Hole 18: One final grip and rip hole. It plays up a hill and then back down. It's mostly open until the green, where several large trees define where the upshot needs to land. The orange basket is up a little mini cliff, making the upshot to that pin even more crucial.

There really isn't a whole lot more to say about this course, it's an extremely well taken care of and gorgeous course with a variety of fun shots and great baskets which catch well. The cons I could find are mostly nitpicky and if you have a chance to play this course, you definitely need to take it! I played with a steady rain and still had a blast!

Best Course In Georgia? Yeah, Could Be!

1    9/2/2017   9/4/2017
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 9/15/2017
Pros: Amazing course with tons of elevation changes, water hazards and mature trees. Possibly the best designed course that I have played on. Generally three sets of tees per hole, each with its own tee sign, bench and broom. Looks like some new baskets have been added giving a few holes two baskets to throw at. A wide variety of hole types and lengths. Scenic signature holes including 13 (elevated tee to cool water feature) and 17 (elevated tee on a fricken bridge!). Navigation is a breeze and this course features the most next tee signs that I have ever seen. The course is very well maintained. And of course the main pro: This course is FUN to play. I could go on, but trust me, PLAY THIS COURSE!
Cons: The only con that I can even think of is that there is some longish walks between some holes.
Other Thoughts: I had a hard time deciding what adjectives to use to describe this course. Amazing spectacular etc. I heard that they spent $100,000 to build this course, $25,000 of it on just the bridge/tee feature. The course also caters to all skill levels and should be enjoyable to all except the most feeble. This is the first 5 that I have awarded a course, and it is certainly one of my favorites.

Hobbs Farm

5+    7/13/2017   7/13/2017
Review By: craigd
Pros: I was excited and curious to play my first John Houch designed course. Who wouldn't be? After all, we've all read a lot of buzz about his designs in the past. When I learned a course of his would be coming just outside of Atlanta, I was stoked. Turns out so were the locals. After much pregnant anticipation, the course finally went in and for the most part, no one was disappointed. This is a challenging course on some beautiful property and it is well stocked with all the bells and whistles.

As far as this par 66 course goes, expect a steady diet of challenging holes with a mix of longer open and technical holes. There's generous amounts of elevation change throughout the layout. There's a great mix of everything ranging from rolling grassy landscapes, to fairways peppered with large mature trees, to heavily wooded holes. There's a great mix of left and right turning shots. There's plenty of holes that demand accurate placement shots, sometimes multiple times per hole. Most of the longer holes offer (if not entice you to take) different lines off the tee. Some of the tougher lines can offer a reward if well executed but can make your lunch taste bad if not. You will find some tough par 3's, 4's and even two par 5's. Look out for a few must make birdie's sprinkled in that are necessary to erase some trouble you are sure to find throughout your round. If all that's not enough, you'll find water in play on several holes keeping you on your toes. They're highlighted by the scenic swamp hole 13 which is a beauty. Really, there is a little bit of everything out here!

As far as the before mentioned bells and whistles, there's plenty to talk about. The green Prodigy baskets will be the first thing you notice as you pull in the park and start spotting them scattered around. Next, there are three thoughtfully placed concrete pads on nearly every hole (4 holes share pads on the mid and long tees). The longest tees will have you playing almost 8600' while the shortest one's tone it down to 5900'. Each pad has its own tee sign with all the info you can shake a stick at including a map of the hole. Next tee signs point the way around the course making navigation pretty easy. There is generous parking near hole one at the church or alternatively, you can park near the back of the course and start the round on your choice of a few different nearby holes. You'll find a bathroom and water near this lot as well. There are nice bridges where needed with an awesome board walk/tee pad deck on seventeen that you just need to see for yourself. Benches are everywhere and do the job nicely. A practice basket and enough room for some upshots is available near hole one.
Cons: I would have to get unreasonably critical for the most part to find any major cons. Most of the complaints you hear are going to be minor criticisms you'll always seem to hear on a golf course. Mostly just random personal preferences.

I must say, I was surprised to find myself crossing two's fairway to get to seven. Not a huge deal really (probably not even in a tourney given the way its laid out), but I was just surprised by this as there is such stigma about the notion of having to walk across a fairway going from hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: This course is well worth even a lengthy drive to play. If coming from the Atlanta area there is an opportunity to mark a few more courses off the "played list" by checking out the Douglasville courses as well. The Westside of Atlanta disc golf is really growing but this is the jewel of them all.

This is a nice park with a trail head to a green belt and a loop good for walking or biking. Even if the family isn't into golf, they can still be occupied while you play your round if you are just passing through. There is a pollinator's garden and plenty of places for some good photography.

Enjoy!

Great Course

5+    4/18/2017   4/19/2017
Review By: hcrebel34
Pros: Awesome well designed course, John Houck design.
Offers something for many different skill levels with three different pads (Red, White, Blue).
We are able to have competitive matches with friends of different skill levels because of the different levels.
Nice open fairways that can be forgiving for entry level players.
The Blue Pads (Pro) tighten those fairways up a bit.
Hole 13 throws over water onto a peninsula. One of the coolest holes I've ever played.
Very nice signs on EVERY hole.
Directions to next pad are clearly marked and the course flows nicely. A first timer could easily find their way to the next basket.
Cons: The course is still filling out. Some trees are still growing into place to complete the design of the course. Once these trees (dogwoods I believe) fill out it will make holes 11 and 15 more challenging and fun by creating some lanes rather than having a wide open fairway.

Commendable choice in Carrollton

1    2/24/2017   3/7/2017
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: : The city of Carrollton is blessed with a beautiful and challenging disc golf course. Hobbs Farm offers tons of variety and the three teepads per hole make the course accessible for all skill levels. Hole diversity is paramount to excellent course design, and the assortment of short versus long holes, flat versus hilly holes, and tightly wooded versus wide open holes demonstrates why Hobbs Farm is currently the highest-rated course in Georgia.

The signage is top-notch and the navigation is the best I've seen. Navigational instructions are near each basket to indicate the location of the next teepad.

There are no bad or ridiculous holes, in my opinion, as each fairway seemed reasonable. At least half of the holes bring elevation into play. I don't recall any mandos either (which are normally a result of poor design).

The course allows a bit of warm-up, as Hole #1 is hilly but open, and then a downhill bomber drive is required on Hole #2 before reaching the woods.

As several previous reviewers mentioned, shot selection and placement is vital to scoring well at Hobbs Farm. The mental challenge presented is a great attribute of this course. Choose your disc wisely - selecting a mid-range might be a wise option on several of the holes.
Cons: For first-timers, the basket location might not be clear from some of the teepads. (Which means you need to play this course multiple times.)

A recent rain could result in plenty of mud and standing water on a few holes.

The "traverseability" on this course might be challenging for some disc golfers considering all the elevation and wooded terrain.

Holes #11 and #15 are fairly flat, straight-ahead "filler" holes, but I'm being nit-picky.
Other Thoughts: The best disc golf courses feature physical AND mental challenges. With that standard, Hobbs Farm doesn't disappoint. The diversity of hole elevation and lengths is proof that this course offers something for everyone, from the amateur to the professional.

< Prev 1 2 3