Homestead, FL
Homestead Air Reserve Park Share
Uploaded By: NekkidSoles Hole #3 (Taken 9/2016)

HARP Course Is Long, Windy And Spread Out!

1    3/25/2019   3/27/2019
Pros: Homestead Air Reserve Park is a huge, pancake flat, sprawling park without enough space for five or six 21 hole courses. Much of it's grass is so thick and mushy, you feel like you're trudging through sand. I found 21 holes here to be quite a workout, despite the park's lack of any elevation, whatsoever.

There is a nice course sign and map at the beginning. The course is played in four different sections. 1 & 2 play in the small section by the course map. Then you have a fairly long walk past the parking lot to the large expanse and holes 3-11. Walk past the soccer courts, cross the street and walk past the restrooms to reach the # 12 pad. Holes 12-18 play in this section of park. After 18, cross the street to reach the last section and play the final three holes, which ends right where you started.

My favorite aspect of HARP is how the holes are a nice mix of lengths, mixing in some short ACE runs with the longer runs. The tee pads are mostly brick although a few are coming apart. The signs are great little metal ones which also show the next tee. I really liked that the tee sign poles have the hole # painted on the top. It helps you on this wide open course to see the hole # from a distance. The baskets are a pretty green, Prodigy model that also have a next arrow pointing you to the next tee.

I don't if there was a signature hole here but a couple that I enjoyed were # 9 which was 338' playing down a gauntlet of palm trees, # 10, the short little 213' hole with the basket set behind this big tree and # 13 which played 480' and crossed over two fences.
Cons: The wind was blowing extra hard.

The grass is very thick forcing you to trudge through much of it.

There are some long walkouts.

Neither me or the guy in front of me could locate the # 11 tee pad.

Several tee pads are coming apart.

I don't think there is any reason why this course is so spread out. I believe it could be condensed into a much more manageable area.
Other Thoughts: There is easily enough room for 18 or even 36 more holes here. There were times when I was trudging through this thick, thick grass and thought, there is so much wide open space here. It just seems immense! And the wind didn't help much.

There is much to like about this course and there are things I didn't much care for. You might view the wind as a challenge or may not be bothered by the thickness of the grass. If so, you might like the course more. All in all, I consider it pretty average.

Long, wide-open and fun

1    3/2/2019   3/8/2019
Review By: FrolfHead
Pros: The tee signs were well done and very informative. The Prodigy baskets are all in very good shape.
The park is pretty big and the DG course occupies a pretty large area and the course does a good job of taking advantage of that.
Each hole had 3 possible basket placements that were often drastically different, so it appears the local club can change the layout and have alot of options.
The overall feel is that the course is long and wide-open which lets you reach back and rip it all round.
The available flora is limited but it does take advantage of what is available to force some shot-shaping.
Cons: The largest con has to be the tee pads, they are brick tee pads and many have seen better days. Several had lose bricks and some seemed to be deteriorating in the front of the tee pad to the point where it was a bit treacherous finding secure footing. Someone in my group rolled an ankle and was phased by the footing the entire round.
As noted in some other reviews, because the course is so long and open, it does feel a bit repetitive.
The holes could really use somewhere to sit, especially considering how long the course is. Shade is also at a premium, I played in early March and can only imagine that the summer rounds here are pretty brutal with the lack of shade, water, places to sit.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads need some attention but the course is fun overall, even if it is a little too wide open.
Recommend printing a map or taking a photo of the course layout because the navigation is a little quirky.
Would gladly play the course again we the chance arises.

Fun, Needs a little TLC

1    2/26/2019   2/28/2019
Review By: nc-hyzer1
Pros: This course has many Pros
-According to Map My Run App, current layout I played was 3.24 miles from parking spot back to parking spot.
- One of the few course I have played in FL that allow you to stretch out your arms on power throws
-Course is spread out very little hole cross over
-Depending on time of day, easy drive in and out from outside areas
-21 holes to play
-Course was overall clean when I played
-Current layout has a few deuce opportunities
-Few holes dealt with public walkers or bikers
Cons: The are a few cons with this course
- Use the bathroom before you start, This course is very open and the facilities that I past were closed. Police drove by regularly
-Take a picture of the course at hole 1, you will need it.
-Hole 11 tee sign is missing, you will not find with out the course layout picture.
-Once again you will not find hole 12 without course layout long walk in between 11 to 12
-Hole 13 could be unplayable, flight path is over a parking lot, if cars are parked you will most likely skip. (I had to)
-Grass is high or thick, don't try a roller won't go to far
-Tee pads are pavers and where you plant your foot on the throw, they are starting to separate. Be careful, I rolled ankle on one
Other Thoughts: I am a player that travels and plays these course when in town for work, This is the first time I played this course.
-This course looks like it needs some local TLC, Tee Pads need some work
-This course is on the way to the keys, if you are traveling to the keys or in the area it is worth the play.
- I felt it could be a higher rated course with the TLC I mentioned earlier
-I would play this course again when in the area or passing through to the keys

1    10/27/2018   11/1/2018
Review By: Zineth
Pros: Lots on holes to play here.

HUGE property

Trees placed strategically in the way forcing you to think about your shot. One tee had a super low ceiling to work through.
Cons: HUGE property!

The grass was mowed for the holes we played (there were at least six high speed mowers out in the other areas on a saturday), but there ground has some surprises so we had to watch our step. It kind of felt like walking on sand. We wish they would mow it shorter.

for the first eight holes, the tees were a long walk. Nice if you want more steps, not so nice if you want to play more.

Other Thoughts: We are Washingtonians and the weather was miserable the day we played the course. This was a bucket list course so we had to play enough for it to count, but by hole 8 we were drenched.

However, the next morning was crisp and windy so we came back to throw on the soccer fields. This was an awesome place for field work! We loved the short, short grass after the previous day of walking on spongy grass with very unlevel ground.

It is kind of creepy with roads going through it as if it was once populated with housing of some sort. We only saw one person walking. Nothing else was going on and it was a Saturday morning.

The Long And The Short Of It

1    1/28/2017   1/28/2017
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 3/8/2018
Pros: There is a lot to like about this one. The course features one set of concrete brick tees with very nice informative signs. Generally, there are three pin placements per hole (really short to really long). The course is mostly flat but has a wide variety of tree types that make things more interesting on the longer pin placements.The course is fun and even somewhat scenic. Navigation is super easy and the chance of losing a disc here is very low. The Prodigy baskets are nice.
Cons: Some of the brick tees are coming apart. Can easily be played from the grass though until they are replaced/repaired. There are some long walks between a lot of the holes (keep going in the direction of the arrows under the baskets. Some backtracking may be needed from the long pin placements).
Other Thoughts: We found this course to be quite fun and with three different pin placements, this one plays almost like three different courses. The course was in the long layout when we played it (winter, they shorten it up for summer I believe). Most of the courses that I play on regularly are shorter and more technical so for me, it's nice to play a more open course once in a while.

Long and open

1    1/2/2017   1/10/2017
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: This course will give you plenty of opportunity to crush drives and hone your skills playing in the wind.

Tee pads are good and Prodigy baskets catch well.

Course is mostly easy to navigate. Zero chance of losing plastic. Unlikely that you'll ever have to wait to play.
Cons: Repetitive. The challenge is very one-dimensional.

The ground is soft with long St. Auggie's grass resulting in no roller opportunities and a tiring walk. Almost no shade on the course.
Other Thoughts: It's not the worst course, by any means. It reminds me of Fountain Hills minus the lake, fountain, and pretty women on rollerblades.

You may love it, but not my cup of tea.

One of the Best Courses in South Florida

1    8/20/2016   8/20/2016
Review By: BreezyRider
Pros: We drove 100 miles to play this course and it was definitely worth the trip. Well maintained and fairly easy to navigate. Enjoyed the slight changes in elevation. Loosing a disc here is close to impossible even for beginners. Once all the baskets are in place I would probably raise my rating. Overal layout is excellent.
Cons: All baskets were not yet installed. The distance from a few baskets to the next tee seems somewhat excessive, but since we're playing partly for the exercise it really isn't that much of a negative factor.

Great use of the park grounds

5+    7/20/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: Mr.Kleen
Pros: New player,so this open course is perfect to learn on.Wind is a factor,easy to navigate.Large sign with course map by #1 tee(snap a pic with your phone for reference if you want).nice tee pads,hole maps at tees,arrow signs on baskets directing you to next tee.
Cons: People leaving trash on course/in basket despite numerous trash cans.
Other Thoughts: Ran into hazimwood the designer/creator of this course,and thanked him for his efforts(he took a picture of my Lightning discs).Really nice guy,did an excellent job utilizing the space.BTW pins are at "B" locations now,and although longer for my noob skills,I enjoyed the layout more today.Thanks again!

Great course

5+    6/28/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: CAMACHO9
This review was updated on 7/24/2016
Pros: Open course, wind can really play a role out there, tee off pads are outstanding, easy to follow course, rare to loose a disc of course I lost one on the 18th to the left,
Challenging
Cons: Scorecard
July 7th. 12
July 9th. 14
July 25th. 11
Other Thoughts: Anyways try this course bring water it's hot.. Looking to play text Robert 305 409 7636

Beautiful new course

1    6/25/2016   6/29/2016
Review By: jlimes
Pros: This course became a quick favorite. Tee pads are well constructed and signage is very well designed and easy to follow. Trees and obstacles are placed to give challenges I haven't encountered before. Each hole has its own character keeping the round interesting all the way through. Highly recommend trying this place.