Nashville, TN
Cane Ridge - Advanced Course Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #3 (Taken 12/2016)

1    6/24/2018   6/25/2018
Review By: wericsson
Pros: New Prodigy baskets (see other thoughts below for more details), including a practice basket. Turf tees do pretty good. Tee signs are very nice and about as complete as could realistically be hoped for in such dense woods (exception: new alt pin locations are not shown). Speaking of dense woods, there were some clearly planted trees in select places to roughen the rough - that's awesome.

Even the open holes can be kind of tight - for example, hole 1 is a touchy 333 foot turnover, unless you have the power to spike hyzer it. Hole 11 is a similarly constricted "open" hole - strategic tree clumps force some shot shaping (no hyzers allowed). There is an island hole, with the basket inside the median of a roundabout. Island is probably circle-sized or maybe circle and half on a 300 foot hole, so pretty reasonable. Hole 2, while less technical, is the obligatory bomb hole (725 feet, or roughly 600 to the new pin, with the last 50ish into the treeline), with just enough OB/rough to require some thinking still.

The woods, though, are where the good stuff lives. Hole 3 is a tight 595 foot par 4, cut by a creek 265 feet down. You pretty much have to go big and still hit the line, or you might as well go home. Hole 6 is a legitimate 372 foot par 4 - hard dogleg with the second shot going way up a hill. Despite the number on the sign, this one was still a satisfying, two-throw hole. Hole 14 is another good woods par 4, with the first shot going way uphill also. Hole 18 is a killer right-bending short 4; great way to finish the round.
Cons: So what separated Cane Ridge from the top of the top? (it barely slid in to a 4.0 instead of a 3.5, imo, but it's still a 4.0, so some of these will seem a little nit-picky, because they are, or like things which could be done, not things which are wrong)

My biggest complaint is that there are fluffy holes - some really easy par 3s in the woods that were out of keeping with the overall difficulty level. In one case, hole 7, there was a new pin position further back than the original, which was still one of the easiest holes on the course, possibly the easiest. Other noteworthy offenders were holes 9 and 10.

There were no alt sleeves, except on holes 2 and 7, I believe. Not at all a must, but this would be a great way to add yet further variety, as well as possibly making some of the easiest holes harder.

Turf is good 90% of the time. It rains 10% of the time. Concrete is great all the time.

Practice basket was in an odd spot within reasonable oops! range of hole 1.
Other Thoughts: Prodigy baskets - Cane Ridge was my first experience on these. You can hit them as hard as you want, even high - BUT they behave very weak on the weak side. On the other hand, anything strong side or dead center is pretty much guaranteed to drop. Banding on the top keeps things from lodging there - if you miss high, you seem to get pretty much the same skip wherever you hit the top. I THINK these are the T1, not the T2, which supposedly addressed some of the issues with the T1.

Overall, this is a young contender for the best course in the area. It isn't there yet, but given time and work it could maybe get there.

My new favorite course!

1    5/31/2018   5/31/2018
Review By: billtm
Pros: Flat grippy tees
Baskets that catch well, though the chains do seem to be a little stiff
Nice balance between wooded and open holes
The open holes still make you shape your shot
The island hole is fair
Great shot variety
Good signage that made navigating the course from hole to hole easy
The tee signs were helpful, clear, and included useful distance information about things along the fairway
Great use of changes in elevation
Fairway widths were fair and clearly defined
There weren't too many or too few trees in the fairway
Cons: When it's muddy, some of the fairways (like hole 18) are so steep that slipping becomes an issue on the fairway
Other Thoughts: This is the best course that I've played so far!

An Upcoming Challenger For The Top Course In Nashville

1    1/15/2018   4/3/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.532 Rating) A beautiful undulating course that will have the technical players coming back in droves.
- RAW BEAUTY - Wow, what a great piece of property for a disc golf course. Mostly moderate to heavily wooded with several mini valleys cutting through the layout. I'd say only hole (1) is average looking and the rest are good to great. Hole (2) is the only open hole, but I liked the rolling grass meadows on the way to the basket. (18) is a really nice finishing hole being a 400 foot sweeping right play around a gulley.
- UNIQUENESS - Really good and just about all the hole types are here. Long par 4s to short par 3s. Lots of well defined wider tunnel shots with breaks to the left and right. Shot shaping is moderate and most of the lines usually have one optimal play. Several 30 foot grade changes and maxing out at around 40 feet on a couple holes. The tee shot on (7) was my favorite of the downhill plays and it was also the only paved tee location. The basket on this hole is located just beyond a dry wash and it's flanked by a few larger guarding trees on both the right and left side. Missing items include a dogleg right, a par 5 and water plays in both the pond and creek variety. There are creeks indicated on both the course map and the hole signage, but these elements are headwater creeks and will likely only be filled with water for one or two days after a heavy rain.
- CHALLENGING - Definitely above average in difficulty, but I question the use of Advanced in the course's name. Only three of the par 3s are listed above 300 feet in length. Four of the par 3s are sub 250 and one of those is under 200 feet. Other than holes (2) and (3), the par 4s are easy 3s for advanced players and hole (18) is deuce-able. To me the course reads as upper intermediate and it's probably a touch easier in the winter months.
- CHAINS - Awesome heavy chained Prodigy baskets.
- NAVIGATION - Near Flawless. There are lots of numbered orange placards with arrows well located along the entire layout. I only once peaked at my downloaded map on my phone between (9) and (10). The tee signage is adequate and shows distance, obstacles and next tee direction.
- CHARACTER - About average or maybe a touch above, but for courses I've rated this high, it would fall below average. In addition to nice baskets and navigation, the course has benches at a majority of the tees. There is a practice basket but the location is in a very odd spot between (1) and (2). There are restrooms, shelters and adequate parking nearby. Standard elite course missing extras include, no alternate basket placements, no multi tees and no onsite course map or community board.
- LOCATION - Two courses on one site makes coming to this location just that much better. The Short course will be great for beginning and novice level players, making this two course duo very skill level friendly.

Cons: A solid course that just needs a few more upgrades to challenge the top Nashville courses.
- TEES - They were horrible on my visit, but I understand why. I played two days after a 2 inch snowfall. It all melted and I played on a 60 degree day. So yes, mud was everywhere and the tees showed it. Turf is just not the same as concrete. I played Liberty Park 15 miles away the same day and had no issues with the concrete tees there. Concrete > Turf. All stated, turf is still far better than many other choices, such as natural tees with protruding roots for instance. I gave credit to Cane Ridge for the turf tees and did not detract any score for my personal experience. I do hope however that concrete tees will come soon.
- OVERGROWTH - I played in winter when it wasn't so bad but I can image this place gets quite overgrown during the summer. There are a few areas of extensive thicket out here and losing a disc is a possibility for those that don't want to conduct an hour long search. I wouldn't be surprised if there's lots of poison ivy as well, although I didn't see any.
- DISCONTINUITY - Mostly short walks between Baskets and tees but there are a couple notable longer transitions. The transition between (1) and (2) is around 250 feet and the transition between (9) and (10) is around 400 feet. Be on the lookout for all the orange navigational cues.
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Like a few other reviews have suggested, bringing a beginning player here doable. There are no unforgiving water hazards or insane overgrowth areas to deal with in the winter. I even met a first timer on (18) and he had survived the course. However, this course with beat up players with under 50 rounds in the bag. A few too many tighter lines for players not adjusted to releasing at a consistent point. Newer players may get frustrated when they hit a tree on 3 or 4 consecutive throws.
- TERRAIN - Players that have bad knees or ankles should probably avoid playing here. There are lots of undulations in the fairways and I also personally smacked a couple smaller stumps and tree roots. This course does not appear to be cart friendly but is probably doable with some of the hardier models.
- TIME PLAY - I finished my solo winter round in about 75 minutes. I think Cane Ridge Advances will take a bit longer than the average course. Figure a group of four will be in at around 2 1/2 hours.

Other Thoughts: I've made 3 trips to the Nashville area as of this review. Over that time I've asked several locals what their favorite courses are in the area. It appears as though that Cane Ridge is getting a lot of praise and its well deserved IMO. The shots are here for sure to please most skilled players. Players that like medium length technical courses and don't mind too much about a lack of amenities will love this place. However for those like me that enjoy being coddled with extras, it's not there yet. Concrete tees would go a long way, but also alternate basket placement to lengthen up the sub 250 foot long holes would be great too. Considering the length and terrain changes, benches should be at all the tee areas as well. In all, This is a course on the rise in south Nashville. I plan to visit this course again in the next year or so and I will update my review as always.

Antioch's Hidden Gem

1    2/19/2018   2/20/2018
Review By: njgrosser
Pros: Phenomenal Hole Design: I cannot stress this enough. The course designers expertly used the land they were given to come up with an extremely entertaining course that was challenging, yet fair, and that anyone with a decent amount of experience would enjoy. Although most of the holes are in the woods, there are several different throws that have to be made, and the forest is aged in such a way that there isn't a lot of underbrush lining the fairways to knock discs down. The open holes (#1 and #2) do not disappoint either, and allow a couple holes of warming up accuracy before diving into the wooded holes. Holes that stood out to me were #2, #7, and #18, and I cannot remember a single hole that I disliked or felt disinterested playing on.

Use of Elevation: This also goes with the above point, but I wanted to separate it to stress how well the course uses it. There is not a single hole that is a straight-uphill shot. The land itself is very hilly, and the course is designed to incorporate that elevation without frustrating the player.

Signage: The signage on this course is really solid. A subtle touch that makes a big difference is the distance to certain landmarks on the longer holes (i.e. '300ish feet to the drainage ditch' on Hole 2). It's the little things like this that make a course feel more complete. Additionally, the orange signs designating the walking paths between holes were easy to find. They could have a couple more of these (15 to 16 was rough for me), but overall they do a good job in conjunction with the "next tee" arrows on the teepad signs.

Cons: Erosion Control: There were some areas that were a bit muddy, but that's to be expected on a course in the woods in the wet season. Some of these areas could be fixed with a bit of gravel or some steps, but it did not affect my overall experience.

Tee Pads: All of the tee pads (besides 7, which was the corner of the parking lot) were carpet/turf. This course is too good of a course to have turf pads, and I hope there is a plan for more permanent concrete pads in the future.

Bugs: I went on an unusually warm day in February when it was slightly muddy, and throughout the wooded holes there were little gnats/flies everywhere. I am not sure if this is a seasonal thing or not, but it was mildly annoying. Not annoying enough to prevent me from coming back, but enough to remember to bring bug spray.

Park Signage: There is no signage in the park saying where the first hole is. This would help, especially because it is on the other side of the road from the rest of the course. What also confused me was...

That Practice Basket in the Parking Lot Circle by #2 and #7: This isn't so much of a con, but more of a "why?" There is a good chunk of land behind the tee for #1 to have a practice basket, and it is also closer to the larger parking lot where both courses start. I don't understand why the practice basket is here. It actually led me to believe that I was supposed to park in the lot by the tennis courts where #2 and #7 start, and I had to backtrack up the road to get to #1.
Other Thoughts: My favorite courses in the Nashville area have always been Cedar Hill and Seven Oaks. After playing this course, my favorite courses in the area are Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks, and Cane Ridge, and I believe that as Cane Ridge continues to develop (tee pads, etc.), it will become my favorite course in the area. The Pros are very "pro" and the cons are all minor and fixable. I cannot wait to go back and play it again!

Fantastic and Challenging Course

2-4    10/1/2017   10/1/2017
Review By: tfcdawg
Pros: This is a wonderful course and an excellent addition to the Nashville disc golf scene. The design is fantastic...this designers really made the most of the land they were given. It is very challenging but not unreasonable.
Cons: This course will be very hard for new players. I do wish there were a couple more open holes....majority of course is in the trees.
Other Thoughts: I'm excited to see how this course continues to evolve! Also, they have recently installed artificial turf tee pads which are working very well.

2-4    6/19/2017   6/20/2017
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 10/5/2017
Pros: (Lengthy review, but I wanted to be a little more thorough since it is a newer course.)

The newest 18 hole course in the Nashville area is a very challenging one in my opinion, but totally fair, and it is really starting to grow on me the more I play it. Ii is in a big city park, but the course plays primarily in a wooded section away from other park activities (it is labeled as moderately wooded on the DGCR homepage, but I would describe it as heavily wooded, aside from the 700' open hole). Most of fairways are cut through the woods, but there are places that do venture out in the open (1,2,10,11,12). Elevation is a major factor here as well. Many holes are that much tougher throwing uphill from uphill lies (2, 3, 6, 14). The downhill ace runs are super fun (7, 9, 16), and there are some flat holes also (1, 10, 11, 12, 17).

There is a bit of everything: ace runs, birdie chances, and holes where 3 and 4 will be hard-earned good scores. What makes it stand out to me are the 6 legit par 4's ( designated as such due to distance but also strategic placement). A true test of accuracy and discipline, where accurate length will be strongly rewarded. This course is mentally challenging, as holes 2-6 could make you want to give up, but stay tough because the pressure does let up a bit after that and some birdie chances await you.

I like there is a difference in tee shots throughout: some holes 1) force you to throw a shot shape and others 2) give several risk/reward type options, where you can play it safer or choose the tighter gap and run at the basket. I have found that I will use almost every disc in my bag and need every shot shape in every distance by the time I play all 18 holes.

This course makes me want to come back again and again because I want to try to figure out how to play many of the holes better in order to shave off a few more strokes. My initial thought after my 1st round was "wow, this is hard" but after playing here several times now I have found that it is totally reasonable and you just have to know when to attack, how to attack, and when to play it safe- maybe more so than any course currently in mid TN.

Powder blue Prodigy baskets catch well and are easily visible in both summer and winter. Turf tees get the job done (not concrete, but definitely better than dirt, gravel, or carpet!) Really nice tee signs are now installed on every hole. Many of the things mentioned in some of the earlier reviews have now been addressed (tee signs and tee pads installed, tee #7 is blocked off, plenty of benches)

Course makes 2 loops of 9, and you may need to grab another drink and energy bar from your car because the front 9 is a bit of a hike. Restrooms available in summer, port-a-potty in winter. Plenty of parking. Easy to get to from I-24.
Cons: Turf tees- not concrete, they are ok, but some are already sagging a bit on the perimeter essentially shrinking the useable area.

#18- I know it is supposed to be a tough finishing hole, but I question the safety as much of is on a fairly steep side slope with a large deep ravine cutting across. It also does not look as nice and well-groomed like the rest of the course does, but instead looks overgrown (I am sure it is tricky to do work on it). If nothing else, I think the fairway needs some steps or a rail installed in places and maybe a couple more trees or tall weeds need to be eliminated to give a little more legit chance of landing in a safe area.

Next tee signs/navigation- First timers use the course map. Navigation was a bit tricky for me the first time around finding holes 3, 7, 10, and 17.
3- Around the tree line to the right and then cut in
7 - up to the parking lot beside the tennis courts
10- go out in the open and all the way around to the left, you will pass 18's basket on the way, keep following the tree line until you see a path
17- I always see #8 to the right first because there is a worn path down to it, but 17 is to the left
18- Not tricky, but it is easy to head towards #9, similar to above
All that to say, some Next Tee signs or markers in the basket would be very helpful. Wrong paths have already been worn in that can lead you astray.

Disc loss- sometimes discs here are hard to find because it is in the woods, there are many blind shots, and lots of elevation. Most areas are cleared out, but there are some nasty disc graveyards in some spots. I have lost 2 discs on hole #3 so far, and I rarely lose discs anywhere. Keep an eye on your shots closely, especially if playing solo.

Practice basket- I like practice baskets, but here it is located between holes 1 and 2, sits in a neat little circle of the road with some trees, but it really is in a poor place. It is actually the only basket visible from #1 tee, and could really be a distraction when teeing off from #1 if people were practicing. That being said, I think most people don't use it that much because of where it is.

#7 tee- being from this area my whole life, this park has always had a bit of a reputation for housing shady activities in places if you choose to look for them. #7's tee is part of an isolated parking lot, and there is usually a single car parked there with a person sitting in it that looks to be waiting to meet somebody for something (I have no idea what, but just my perception). I have not encountered any problems, but I do tee off as quickly as possible and get on my way. However, I do feel the popularity of the disc golf course may actually clean up the park a bit (imagine that!) with more people utilizing this section of the park. I also think because #7 tee sign is exposed, it will tend to suffer regular vandalism from non-disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I think the designers did a fantastic job of hole design and maximizing the space available. Mostly short walks to the next tee, yet definitely does not feel crowded. Every hole is unique and has its own challenge and character.

Plus there is a 2nd 18 hole course in the park that is shorter and easier. They make a nice complement to each other, and is a fine disc golf addition to the Nashville area.

fun course

5+    5/11/2017   5/11/2017
Review By: kidkirby
Pros: This course is very mature and cleared out for being less than 1 year old. It has had alot of work over the past year to make it excellent. The tee pads, tee signs and baskets are top notch. The blue baskets are very visible in all seasons. The turf tee pads play consistent rain or shine. It is a very advanced level course but playable for all levels. It will really test your all around distance and accuracy. In my mind it's top 3 in Nashville hands down.
Cons: Currently only one pen placement per hole. I would like to see some different variations of pin positions.

Amazing young course

5+    5/1/2017   5/1/2017
Review By: Nashvillejerm
Pros: This course has pretty much anything you could ask for, plus a little more. Every shot in your bag will be tested. There is a great mix of holes and the shots never get boring. Holes 1 through 6 take you through a pretty tough stretch off golf that will test even the best of golfers. Holes 7,8, and 9 give you a stretch of "must get" birdies that will be in your head if you don't 2 them. Hole 10 is pretty straight forward with OB behind the pin and a big drop off to the left.... You don't wanna go down there. Hole 11 is a great par 4 that requires you to throw out of a tunnel and land in a decent spot for your up shot. Hole 12 plays 310ft and the pin sits in the middle of a 60ft island green. Hole 13 is short, but challenging. hole 14 is a Beast That requires 2 great shots to take a 3. Hole 15 is a touchy downhill green that requires you to throw a slow shot that won't fly way past the pin. Hole 16 is another one you feel like you must get, which is nice after a stretch of tough lines. 17 is 270' dead straight with kind of a low ceiling and one of the most defined fairways with unique trees leaning over the fairway. 18 is a 403' turnover that plays over a big trench. There is a very nice, sturdy bridge that Walks you over the trench which is a nice touch. That is kind of a quick walk through of the course that really won't do it justice. If you are in Nashville you should make plans to stop by what I think is our best course. This is my home course, but I waited to review it until I felt it was "complete." All of the signs are in the ground, the tee pads are all done, there are benches, trash cans and the fairways are cleared and defined. This course is less than a year old but plays and looks as good as a course that has been in the ground for 5+ years.
Cons: Stinging nettles on 8, 9, and 18. They have been sprayed within the past couple days so hopefully they will die out soon. Could use more benches, but that will come with time.
Other Thoughts: Another course is being installed on the property! Really looking forward to that.

Great course in the making

1    3/23/2017   3/23/2017
Review By: DDruziak
This review was updated on 4/20/2017
Pros: This course almost has it all.. From short to long, easy to difficult, island green, dog leg left/right shots. Wide open to very tight wooded shots. Good use of OB where applied. Signs were very detailed and new. Turf tees were very nice and there was good seating with a couple garbages available. New prodigy baskets were very nice and they catch very well. I was impressed for how new the course is.
Cons: GPS brought me to the park no problem.. But was glad someone had kind of mentioned how to get to the first hole. No signs for where to start. Some holes were missing signs, but I'm sure that will be fixed in the near future. There were many small stumps sticking out but still playable. Hole 7 was confusing. I think you're supposed to throw from the parking lot? Which would be bad if someone was parked in that spot, but I could be wrong. Hole 3 and I believe 15 had some mud that will need some work to not always being soft.
Other Thoughts: One of the only things the course is really missing is water. This course will most likely be the Best in the area. Not surprised Will Schusterick was one of the designers. Very well laid out. Will be playing if ever in the area again!!

Great Course That Will Only Get Better

2-4    1/5/2017   2/9/2017
Review By: XC_Eddy
This review was updated on 1/16/2018
Pros: -This course is visually appealing. Nice fairways and pretty woods in an overall nice park.

-A reasonable amount of difficulty. Lines can be tricky, but are fair. For what it's worth, I shot some birdies and some bogeys on my first time playing the course. Like most wooded courses, you're highly rewarded for good shots and highly punished for bad shots.

-The woods are in play, but are not so thick that they are unplayable or that you are likely to lose discs. This may be a benefit of playing in the winter. I found that when I threw poor shots, the penalty was usually mostly that I lost distance by hitting a tree, but that I usually had some form of a line for a recovery shot.

-Good Hole Variety. Hole 2 is a straight 700 ft bomber (appropriately sponsored by Will Schusterick). There's a couple other holes along the course that also allow players to open up and throw full power. Many wooded holes, but they don't feel overly repetitive. Variances in elevation change and holes that play both to the right and the left keep it fresh. There is also an "Island hole" where the green is surrounded by a road.

-Some unique par 4's: I'm used to par 4's being a par 4 solely because of the distance. This course has some of that, but it also has a couple par 4's that require a 90 degree turn halfway through the hole. I found this to be unique and fun.

-Accurate and Helpful Signage. The pictures at each tee pad accurately depicted the hole and provided a helpful direction arrow to the next hole.

-There are one or two spots along the course where the path was marked with flags in the ground. This helped me not get lost on at least one occasion.

-Well designed course that feels like a lot of love has gone and is going into it.

- Turf Teepads were really great. I'd never used turf teepads, but thoroughly enjoyed these. Much easier on my shoes than concrete, but less slippery and dangerous than something like gravel.

-Nice new Prodigy baskets. Never used Prodigy baskets before, but I liked them. They caught well and didn't do anything unusual.

-Other players on the course were friendly and helpful. Another player at the practice basket could tell that I hadn't played the course before and offered helpful advice about how to follow the course layout.
Cons: -For the most part, course layout is intuitive, but I had a heck of a time finding hole 7.
[Update]: There is now some next tee signs and ribbon on the tree line indicating hole 7's location, though it remains the least intuitive element of the course layout. Once you know that you need to turn left after hole 6 and walk a little ways along the tree line to find hole 7's tee, you'll be okay.

-Blue Baskets are a touch more difficult to spot than the traditional yellow Discatcher I'm used to looking for.

-I have mixed feelings about the title, "advanced course." Yes, it's fairly difficult, but I wouldn't feel like a jerk for bringing a new player to this course. The name may deter some players from playing a course where'd they'd likely have a ton of fun. Title does differentiate this layout from the nearby "Short Course." Don't be intimidated by the course's title.

-Turf Teepads are not going to last long term. They are already showing significant signs of wear a little over a year after having been installed. Having an alternative to cement is nice in that maintains the natural atmosphere of the park, but worn out teepads will eventually damage the integrity of certain holes. Players shouldn't have to worry about their footing or alter their line based on the condition of the teepad. In a couple more years these teepads will likely resemble those of nearby Crockett Park, which also has turf teepads. My hunch is that the active local DG community is already aware that the teepads will eventually need attention in the form of repairs or upgrades.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course that continues to improve as the local disc golf community invests time and love into it. I have enjoyed watching this course develop in between occasional visits with family in the area. I will continue to play this course each time I'm in the Nashville area and would recommend it all players.